PDA

View Full Version : P-47 Does Not Have A Radiator

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello. I just wanted to make an observation. Since the P-47 has a radial air-cooled engine, it does not have a radiator. So why would changing the radiator settings have ANY effect on cooling of the engine? If changing the radiator settings does have an effect, then this is completely wrong and should be removed from the P-47's flight model. The only way that the P-47's engine can get rid of its heat is to pass air over the cooling fins around the engine's cylinders. Then only way to cool your engine off after it overheats from WEP would either be to open the cowl flaps allowing more air to pass thru the cooling fins of the engine's cylinders or to reduce power. Maybe the FM could be changed so that when the radiator settings are changed it would change the postion of the cowl flaps. Correct me if I am wrong.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello. I just wanted to make an observation. Since the P-47 has a radial air-cooled engine, it does not have a radiator. So why would changing the radiator settings have ANY effect on cooling of the engine? If changing the radiator settings does have an effect, then this is completely wrong and should be removed from the P-47's flight model. The only way that the P-47's engine can get rid of its heat is to pass air over the cooling fins around the engine's cylinders. Then only way to cool your engine off after it overheats from WEP would either be to open the cowl flaps allowing more air to pass thru the cooling fins of the engine's cylinders or to reduce power. Maybe the FM could be changed so that when the radiator settings are changed it would change the postion of the cowl flaps. Correct me if I am wrong.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:25 AM
you are wrong

there are cowling flaps behind the engine, as in all radial engine planes...

you can see them move if you go external view and change your radiator setting...

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 11:01 AM
And if you read inside the cockpit there is even a warning not to open the cowl flaps at above a certain speed.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Ok Ok, the command in FB is cowl flaps. SO in threory he is right. He is looking for a water filled radiator. Here is a tid bid. The 190 dont have one either. What you see in the front is a forced air fan. Now open up that radia...Ok cowl flaps before you overheat!

Kaptain Maico
249th I.A.P.
Group II
Trng Officer

"We take the Boom out of your Zoom"