PDA

View Full Version : how do we know its french revolution?

Radman500
03-20-2014, 03:52 AM
the setting for AC 5 or AC Unity...is defintelly Paris, France....but how do we know its French Rev and not Victorian era?

LoyalACFan
03-20-2014, 04:11 AM
Mostly because he's carrying an 18th-century flintlock pistol, I guess. Revolvers would have eclipsed them in the early Victorian era, and if I remember correctly revolvers were actually invented in France. But you're right, it doesn't necessarily mean French Revolution. It could just be a a placeholder (seeing as how it's the exact same flintlock model used in AC3) or it could be the first gun you unlock so it actually is supposed to be outdated and crappy so you aren't too OP from the start.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Mostly because he's carrying an 18th-century flintlock pistol, I guess. Revolvers would have eclipsed them in the early Victorian era, and if I remember correctly revolvers were actually invented in France. But you're right, it doesn't necessarily mean French Revolution. It could just be a a placeholder (seeing as how it's the exact same flintlock model used in AC3) or it could be the first gun you unlock so it actually is supposed to be outdated and crappy so you aren't too OP from the start.

Look at the clothing as well. The people are clearly wearing 1700-style clothing. That could also just be placeholder as well but his outfit doesn't seem too Victorian to me. I'll look at the pictures again but I thought they seemed more 18th century to me...

MasterAssasin84
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
You are right OP ,

These Pics do confirm France is the setting ( Much to my delight ) but does not elude anything to the French Revolution ? but if you asked me to take a gamble i would be more inclined to bet the French Revolution will be the theme .

LoyalACFan
03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Look at the clothing as well. The people are clearly wearing 1700-style clothing. That could also just be placeholder as well but his outfit doesn't seem too Victorian to me. I'll look at the pictures again but I thought they seemed more 18th century to me...

Well I really can't say, since I have no idea what Victorian-era commoner clothes looked like.

Something that's got me thinking though... Will the Eiffel Tower be in this? I know it obviously wasn't there in real life yet, but Ubi does insert iconic landmarks into their settings even if they're anachronistic, i.e. the cathedrals in Acre and Havana, and the Eiffel Tower is arguably THE most iconic landmark in the world, behind maybe the pyramids and the great wall of China. Do you think they'd bend history that much?

pirate1802
03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Didn't the poster-on-ubi-office-wall picture had the same-ish character but holding a revolver instead?

LoyalACFan
03-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Didn't the poster-on-ubi-office-wall picture had the same-ish character but holding a revolver instead?

Some people said he had a revolver, but the picture was really blurry and I wasn't convinced, personally. His hand was positioned in such a way relative to the object he was holding that it didn't look like a gun, but maybe some new hidden blade gadget or something.

silvermercy
03-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Well Victorian era middle to upper class in ENGLAND would look like this. I'm trying to remember films with commoners but nothing comes to mind. I have the impression it's a "downgraded" version of this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kR27sCMp9sM/Ti9kRakvxUI/AAAAAAAAATI/Bo7eZIBPx8M/s1600/1898%2Boneill%2Bladies%2B9.jpg

http://www.fashionlady.in/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sociedad.jpg

And France around the same time...

http://www.histoire-image.org/photo/zoom/alf11_boilly_002f.jpg

andrew_m50
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Will the Eiffel Tower be in this? Do you think they'd bend history that much?
No. They try to be historically accurate.
Eiffel Tower was built in the late 19th century. So it won't be in the game.
Unless we reach that era in the game but I doubt that. We would play through almost 100 years? No way!

LoyalACFan
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM

No they don't though, sometimes they add huge stuff they know is historically inaccurate just because it's recognizable. I agree that the Eiffel Tower would be a stretch even by their standards, but it's not an impossibility.

silvermercy
03-20-2014, 10:32 AM
No they don't though, sometimes they add huge stuff they know is historically inaccurate just because it's recognizable. I agree that the Eiffel Tower would be a stretch even by their standards, but it's not an impossibility.
It's possible they add a modern day part with Eiffel tower.

Farlander1991
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Ubi does tend to change things up, i.e. Gothic Cathedral when it would've been Romanesque, Baroque architecture in Rome earlier than it was there for visual distinction, but there are very few cases of putting in things that simply wouldn't have been there at all. The cathedral of Havana is one of the few exceptions, but I think they went for that because Havana needed some kind of a big landmark building that you'd see from pretty much anywhere - an anchor in the city. And even then, it's like what, 40-50 years apart? Eiffel Tower would be a much bigger discrepancy (especially considering how iconic the building is in comparison to Havana's cathedral)

DumbGamerTag94
03-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Eiffel Tower wont be there. Not only is it a 100year plus discrepancy, but also it is far too modern to be squeezed into the period and be believable. Its Far taller than anything they could have built then, its made out of factory/machine quality steel(or maybe iron correct me if i'm wrong) and is dependent on things like electricity and wire cables for its elevator systems for instance(which were original to construction). So my assumption is that it will not be in the new AC for the simple reason that its just too technologically advanced and out of place to fit the period believably. They have done things like add the Church in Havana, but the things they added were always something that could have been built with the tech of the day or has similar architecture and style so it never seemed unrealistic for it to be there.

They might have it in Modern part like Silver said.

RinoTheBouncer
03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
If itís in the 1700s, I wish they bring Connor somewhere. I mean Connor is capable of traveling and doing more work to the Assassins. Sow why not? he doesnít have to be the lead. But he could be a mentor. Otherwise, Iíd love an 1800s game where I synch a viewpoint atop the Eiffel Tower.

andrew_m50
03-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Eiffel Tower wont be there. Not only is it a 100year plus discrepancy, but also it is far too modern to be squeezed into the period and be believable. Its Far taller than anything they could have built then, its made out of factory/machine quality steel(or maybe iron correct me if i'm wrong) and is dependent on things like electricity and wire cables for its elevator systems for instance(which were original to construction). So my assumption is that it will not be in the new AC for the simple reason that its just too technologically advanced and out of place to fit the period believably. They have done things like add the Church in Havana, but the things they added were always something that could have been built with the tech of the day or has similar architecture and style so it never seemed unrealistic for it to be there.

Yes, you have the point.

Dome500
03-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Well Victorian era middle to upper class in ENGLAND would look like this. I'm trying to remember films with commoners but nothing comes to mind. I have the impression it's a "downgraded" version of this:

http://www.fashionlady.in/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sociedad.jpg

And France around the same time...

http://www.histoire-image.org/photo/zoom/alf11_boilly_002f.jpg

Picture 1 has a similar clothed person in "1825 -1850" and the guy to the left in the second one I quoted also has something similar to this:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_ku-xlarge2/w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

deskp
03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
If itís in the 1700s, I wish they bring Connor somewhere. I mean Connor is capable of traveling and doing more work to the Assassins. Sow why not? he doesnít have to be the lead. But he could be a mentor.

I dont want Connor in the game, I want new interesting characters.

If you buy the game for ps4 you will get an hour of Connor play though! Or you might get mroe kenway stuff in the 360/ps3 game.... - speculation/assumption/joke-

MnemonicSyntax
03-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Eiffel Tower was built in the late 19th century. So it won't be in the game.
Unless we reach that era in the game but I doubt that. We would play through almost 100 years? No way!

While I doubt the Eiffel Tower will be present, the Queen's Staircase was nearly 80 years early in Nassau in Black Flag.

Exactly. The Queen's Staircase Landmark even discusses adding it in just because it's "cool."

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-20-2014, 09:31 PM
If itís in the 1700s, I wish they bring Connor somewhere. I mean Connor is capable of traveling and doing more work to the Assassins. Sow why not? he doesnít have to be the lead. But he could be a mentor. Otherwise, Iíd love an 1800s game where I synch a viewpoint atop the Eiffel Tower.

Agreed on both points.

Templar_Az
03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Normally they base these AC games off a particular history book in which case I really wanna know which one because I might give it a read before I play the actual game; for some background history (although some people would think of that as spoilers xd)

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 12:42 AM
If it wasn't french revolution why would the assassin symbol be shaped like a guiattine?

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-21-2014, 12:53 AM
If it wasn't french revolution why would the assassin symbol be shaped like a guiattine?

Can't really tell TBH IMO

Megas_Doux
03-21-2014, 12:54 AM

You have a point.....

Templar_Az
03-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Do you perhaps mean "Guillotine"? in which case that is an interesting point.

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/l1qhyyssbmkrjq46vo_Unity.png

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/uod25b2xmq1k576bxrl_Guillotine.jpg

As you can see the Unity logo and a real life Guillotine do look familiar. Also, according to Wikipedia the Guillotine became really popular during the French revolution. So this makes it highly likely that its going to take place during the french revolution.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah that's what I was saying. I can't spell. XD

LoyalACFan
03-21-2014, 04:08 AM
Wow, I didn't even make the guillotine connection with that logo :nonchalance: I just assumed it was broken 'cause Animus glitchery.

Dome500
03-21-2014, 04:09 AM
Wow, I didn't even make the guillotine connection with that logo :nonchalance: I just assumed it was broken 'cause Animus glitchery.

It does indeed at least represent a sharp cut, in which metaphorical sense that might ever turn out to be in the end.

Ureh
03-21-2014, 04:49 AM
Well I really can't say, since I have no idea what Victorian-era commoner clothes looked like.

Something that's got me thinking though... Will the Eiffel Tower be in this? I know it obviously wasn't there in real life yet, but Ubi does insert iconic landmarks into their settings even if they're anachronistic, i.e. the cathedrals in Acre and Havana, and the Eiffel Tower is arguably THE most iconic landmark in the world, behind maybe the pyramids and the great wall of China. Do you think they'd bend history that much?

Maybe there'll be a present day sequence in the same city. Then they could add an Eiffel Tower.

*plays cool music* *runs up the tower in slo-mo* just like Saboteur

Locopells
03-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Off topic, but is Saboteur any good?

ze_topazio
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
^ Yes, it's pretty good, played it for the first time a few weeks ago actually.

Dev_Anj
03-21-2014, 04:55 PM
The sneak peek trailer confirms beyond doubt that it will be during the French Revolution. Specifically the Reign of Terror possibly?

I'm sure guillotines were used after the French Revolution too though!