PDA

View Full Version : Would you enjoy Deus Ex-like gameplay for the modern story?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-18-2014, 08:32 AM
So you begin the game as, let's say a modern Assassin. It's first person but when you enter into cover, it switches to third person a la Deus Ex or, for another Ubi title, Rainbow Six Vegas. The first mission would be relatively straight forward with nothing much to do aside from following the other Assassins to the upgraded Animus that they have.

You hop in, still in first person, and welcome back to the Animus. The new modern Assassin takes on the role of one of their ancestors by the name of ______ in _______ in the year _____. THAT gameplay is relatively unchanged. Same classic AC gameplay: third person, open world, parkour, multiple outfits, homestead missions but with a villa-like upgrade system, a completely reworked open world that has more random events like muggings where you can chase the thief down, protect someone from thugs, or save people, etc. Basically, classic AC gameplay but expanded upon. You'd have everything you've come to expect from AC but (hopefully) even more things to keep us invested even after beating the story.

But, you're also capable of getting out and exploring the new MODERN story and world as well. Taking a page out of Deus Ex's book could make for a much cooler modern element to the games IMO. So, you exit the Animus and can speak to the various Assassins in the homebase area. This acts as a sort of... mega hub for all the modern stuff. The first mission they saddle on you/the new modern Asssassin is to head to Abstergo Industries and find information regarding ______. The team will then head up and leave the home base and after a brief loading screen, will arrive in the city. they tell you that getting any closer will raise suspicion. They decide to hide out in a nearby area, essentially hiding right underneath the Templars' nose. You can return to where they're hiding in order to enter the Animus if you wish to return to the historical gameplay.

In the hub city you now find yourself in, you're able to climb up onto things and do numerous parkour moves to reach the roofs of different buildings. Abstergo guards (complete with assault rifles and not just stun batons) will patrol the roofs, much like the guards of historical settings. You would be equipped with a hidden blade for takedowns, a silenced pistol to take guards out from a far, and an advanced assault rifle with optic scope, also silenced.

These sections would largely play out like Deus Ex. You can enter into cover (switching to third person), can take guards out from afar or up close, drag bodies to hidden areas, etc. There WOULD be differences too though. Deus Ex primarily focuses on line-of-sight stealth; using cover to hide from enemies. You would make good use of this here as well but because this is AC, there will also be crowds of people roaming the streets and within the halls of Abstergo. I think it'd be neat to see a first person view of weaving in and out of the crowds. Anyway... there would be multiple ways into Abstergo: through the front door via a crowd, finding a side entrance, climbing to an open window, climbing to the roof and entering a vent, etc. Once inside, you'd be searching for files on a computer. Hacking into different computers isn't necessary but would provide more insight into Templar activities, give hints about what to expect on a different level of the building (like a laser security system for example), etc.

Finding the security hub and hacking into and disabling the security cameras will allow you to freely walk the halls without fear of being picked up by any cameras but you'll still have to be wary of guards. You can blend in with the IT people when they walk in groups but once outside of those groups, the security will be able to see you shouldn't be there. Once you find the files you were looking for, you can make your way back to where the others are hiding and make you escape back to the home base OR you can explore more of Abstergo.

There'd be about 3 or 4 modern missions with fairly large hubs to explore; perhaps one set in modern Paris, one in Hollywood during an Awards show (weaving through crowds on the red carpet in a white tux? haha), etc. Then there'd be one last mission that only becomes available after beating the historical aspect and you travel to _____ after figuring out that the Templars are _______ with _______ or ________ if _________ but ________________________________________.

Anyway... I think it'd really make the modern aspect seem like you're a modern day Assassin but also altering the gameplay in a way that it's a bit more believable that you're able to do these things. You'd of course also have Eagle Vision which I didn't mention.

I suppose this could also be third person if people would prefer. I think the first person might work well for the modern aspect to help differentiate it a bit more from the Animus (in addition to the obvious aesthetic differences).

Thoughts?

Dome500
03-18-2014, 04:25 PM
A good idea basically.

You wouldn't need to take whole cities though, I assume you meant that the HUBS would - despite being pretty big - only represent a part of the city you are in. If that is the case, that's absolutely okay.
Idk how the 1st-person-blending would work, but if they get it right thumbs up. If not, you could also make it so you are 3rd person if you blend in. But I also don't know how that should work exactly.

Anyway, that sounds really cool. Making the MD an own portion which is actually interesting, where you do actually have things to do and can actually have some real gameplay and an OPTIONAL story is really cool.

I would also recommend that you could for example establish a rule that says if you do NOT finish all MD stories that you do not get the MD ending. Which would ultimately mean that you are only exploring the historical part. If you do all MD missions though (should still be less than 20% of the game, but I guess with 2 - 3 optional missions + one final mission that is okay) you will get a MD ending mission and a conclusion.

That would also enable Ubi to make self-contained modern day stories which give you real variety and diversity in contrast to the historical parts, for those who want it. And it might awake the interest of new players and old players who didn't like Modern Day previously.

If you have an established base (as group of Assassins) and have missions to infiltrate, Spy and sabotage Abstergo in every game while getting to know more stuff about them this could make for an interesting Modern Day plot IMO.

Sure, there might be some weaknesses and design risks, but I'd be willing to take them if it would make for an more interesting and mostly optional modern day.
No need to make Modern Day mandatory, since those who do not like it do not want to play it and those who like it will play it anyway. And if you add average-sized HUB worlds even some other people who are not THAT interested in modern day might have their fun.

Farlander1991
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Would I enjoy it? I'd say so.

Is it reasonable to expect it to be so?

Hell no.

Even in the AC game where Modern Day got THE most exposure possible with the production realities, that being AC3 (which also was, after AC1, the AC game with the longest production time), we got three short missions (all in unique locations though) and a small hub area, and that was with the same mechanics as the historical part. And this idea is even harder to pull off than that.

LoyalACFan
03-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Would I enjoy it? I'd say so.

Is it reasonable to expect it to be so?

Hell no.

Even in the AC game where Modern Day got THE most exposure possible with the production realities, that being AC3 (which also was, after AC1, the AC game with the longest production time), we got three short missions (all in unique locations though) and a small hub area, and that was with the same mechanics as the historical part. And this idea is even harder to pull off than that.

This. It's not really a reasonable request, as you're basically asking them to implement entirely new core mechanics for a very small part of the game.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-19-2014, 06:38 AM
A good idea basically.

You wouldn't need to take whole cities though, I assume you meant that the HUBS would - despite being pretty big - only represent a part of the city you are in. If that is the case, that's absolutely okay.
Idk how the 1st-person-blending would work, but if they get it right thumbs up. If not, you could also make it so you are 3rd person if you blend in. But I also don't know how that should work exactly.

Anyway, that sounds really cool. Making the MD an own portion which is actually interesting, where you do actually have things to do and can actually have some real gameplay and an OPTIONAL story is really cool.

I would also recommend that you could for example establish a rule that says if you do NOT finish all MD stories that you do not get the MD ending. Which would ultimately mean that you are only exploring the historical part. If you do all MD missions though (should still be less than 20% of the game, but I guess with 2 - 3 optional missions + one final mission that is okay) you will get a MD ending mission and a conclusion.

That would also enable Ubi to make self-contained modern day stories which give you real variety and diversity in contrast to the historical parts, for those who want it. And it might awake the interest of new players and old players who didn't like Modern Day previously.

If you have an established base (as group of Assassins) and have missions to infiltrate, Spy and sabotage Abstergo in every game while getting to know more stuff about them this could make for an interesting Modern Day plot IMO.

Sure, there might be some weaknesses and design risks, but I'd be willing to take them if it would make for an more interesting and mostly optional modern day.
No need to make Modern Day mandatory, since those who do not like it do not want to play it and those who like it will play it anyway. And if you add average-sized HUB worlds even some other people who are not THAT interested in modern day might have their fun.

Yeah, just a small portion of the city, not a whole major city. That'd never work for modern times without turning the game into GTA and ONLY being modern which is... blegh.

@others:
I never said it was reasonable. I actually think this could be pulled off WITH the third person historical mechanics. All they need to add really is a cover feature. I'd like the primarily first person view to differentiate it from the Animus stuff but that's definitely too much. All they need to do, and they could even add this to historical gameplay, is feature a more in depth cover system in order to hide from enemies.

Then the only real differences between modern and historical would be to implement gun mechanics for the pistol and rifle. Then the rest plays as a more contained AC. Small but still decently sized hubs with objective(s) to complete. An area where the team and Animus stay to wait for you to finish so you can always return to the historical stuff would be a must.

Dome500
03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Yeah, just a small portion of the city, not a whole major city. That'd never work for modern times without turning the game into GTA and ONLY being modern which is... blegh.

@others:
I never said it was reasonable. I actually think this could be pulled off WITH the third person historical mechanics. All they need to add really is a cover feature. I'd like the primarily first person view to differentiate it from the Animus stuff but that's definitely too much. All they need to do, and they could even add this to historical gameplay, is feature a more in depth cover system in order to hide from enemies.

Then the only real differences between modern and historical would be to implement gun mechanics for the pistol and rifle. Then the rest plays as a more contained AC. Small but still decently sized hubs with objective(s) to complete. An area where the team and Animus stay to wait for you to finish so you can always return to the historical stuff would be a must.

I agree.

And the best thing is, since you are part of an Assassin Cell and you have a HQ there is lots of room for different topics and themes to be created for 1 game, just to make the next game MD portion about another story/theme.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
I agree.

And the best thing is, since you are part of an Assassin Cell and you have a HQ there is lots of room for different topics and themes to be created for 1 game, just to make the next game MD portion about another story/theme.

I think the modern stuff should still be tied into the historical portion but still be optional if that makes sense.

Theoretically, they could also build like...3-4 small hubs of different cities and have multiple missions take place in each to expand it a bit. Not too many missions in the same area but perhaps one major mission and then a few optional ones such as sneaking into Abstergo and creating backdoors into their servers or whatever. It could be really cool but I'm pretty sure Ubi is content with focusing only on the historical aspect but keeping a modern portion but not doing anything too interesting with it. We shall see if that holds true in the future. I'd like to be proven wrong.