PDA

View Full Version : confused

snepel
03-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

I've been playing for 53 hours and I'm just getting nowhere. I'm stuck at Havana and basically I just want to take a ship and do some pirating, but when I'm on a ship I can't use it.

The missions are a bit overwhelming to me, so I was hoping I could try to play it sandbox style, does the game allow you to do such a thing?

I have no overview of what I'm supposed to be doing, all the icons blinking and those weird terminology like Animus and Abestergo. Honestly, it does break the spell of the game a bit, to be interrupted in this nice pirating fantasy, and I'm just not sure anymore what to pay attention to.

Should I focus on being a programmer in the modern time or am I still a pirate?

Most important question: is there a way to switch off all the missions so I can just go around in my ship and pirate the hell out of everybody :-D

rcole_sooner
03-18-2014, 03:22 AM
No way to switch off missions. You can just play around the map, but it is not going to be friendly, and any place outside of Havana is going to be a long, long swim.

You have to get a few of the main missions down to get a ship.

I think the ship is earned towards the end of Sequence 2 or start of Sequence 3.

In modern time, just do the missions.

You're just gonna have to play the game.

If you get stuck, there are walkthroughs all over the interwebz to that can help you out.

snepel
03-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

In all honesty, I think I'll be passing on this one.
The lead up to the fun stuff is just too much for me.

I'm already 50+ hours and I'm stil stuck halfway seq 2.
Walkthroughs indeed help me find out what to do, but then halfway my ally gets killed and I have to start over again.

Let's agree to disagree.
This game simply doesn't fit my playing style.
I love to roam around and try, discover things for myself and tell my own story, like I used to play as a kid with cars etc.

This game forces a story upon me and then punishes me if I don't stick to their scenario.
It feels more like labour than playing to me.

Sorry to criticize, but this is my honest opinion after playing 53 hours.

It would be great if a mod or cheat would appear (maybe a downloadable save game?) that allows one to play the pirate part.
That is what I bought the game for, because it's the first time a game is able to be as exciting as Sid Meier's Pirates!

But I'm not spending 50+ of my life slugging through minor missions just to get to the nice part.
Life's too short bro ;-)

tunnelcat
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most to get out of Havana. Once you steal your ship, the Jackdaw, you can progress through a couple of the required missions, do some side assassinations and thievery to gain money and knowledge and then go around pirating all you want. This is the most fun I've had for years. Even the storms are fun. I've been building up my ship so that I can go after those Legendary Ships.