PDA

View Full Version : Day/Night Cycle in Exchange For Graphic Capability?

Wolfmeister1010
03-17-2014, 11:31 PM
If there is one thing that frustrates me about having another last gen AC game this year (assuming it is true), that is that we will again have to play a game on the 7th generation consoles' ancient hardware. We can expect that the last gen game will not be any larger or more expansive than ACIV, as the xbox 360 and Playstation 3 just cannot handle a bigger game than that.

However, the last gen is capable of some great things. Just look at AC1. It was released during the first true year of the 7th gen, It had some AMAZING lighting that we would not see in another AC game for 5 years. It also had wonderful particle effects and even some pretty nice textures. However, AC2 saw a MASSIVE drop in graphical quality, with poorer textures, draw distance, lighting, ect. Why did we see such a massive drop in quality?

All the engines in the games are the same, other than some minor tweaks. Scimitar, anvil, anvil next, all the same. AC2 featured a day/night cycle for the first time, and day night cycles take a TON of processing power. It is likely that a major portion of the drop in quality came from that.

At this point, Ubi has made a game that has a day night cycle AND looks a bit better than AC1 on last gen. But, if they were to make the last ten game this year without a day/night cycle, we could likely see other big graphical improvements that would make it less painful to play, as we are all now used to the next gen stuff.

Would it be worth it to you? Sacrifice a day/night cycle for increased graphical quality?

silvermercy
03-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Hmm... I personally wouldn't mind, if that's indeed true.

Not that I wouldn't miss night time in the game (because I assume that's the one that woud go). I think the lack of it would slightly affect immersion (and maybe it would probably also affect story and scenes as well).

Ideally, the next-gen should handle both. ;)

frodrigues55
03-17-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't really think AC1's graphics were that good, but maybe I was fooled by those stupid filters previnting the game from having any real color. Game was really smaller and simpler too, so I don't think day and night are really the problem when you have so much going on from AC2 onwards.

I'm happy with the series graphics in general, though, so I rather have day/night cicles. They already got rid of some of the most stupid decisions, like the filters or that idiotic gradient effect which unexplainable appeared on Brotherhood. The cycle adds to ambience and immersion in my opinion.

phoenix-force411
03-17-2014, 11:57 PM
AC1 was colorful, maybe not too colorful, but the colors of the settings really give off gloomy feels like in Acre. Metal Gear Solid V does have a real-life day/night cycle which is pretty cool. I think they should keep the day/night cycle, but also add in dynamic weather and really change the landscape when weather affects it. The Snow Engine by Ubi really impresses me.

Sushiglutton
03-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Nah not imo. Day/night cycle adds a lot to the atmosphere and the visual quality is overall fine imo. I'm also not entirely convinved how much harm the D/N does to the visuals if at all tbh.

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 01:28 AM
No, please, NO. A decline of day and night cycle would only improve FPS by a small margin, not graphics. Anyway AC:3 and AC:IV had better lighting than AC:1, IMO.

Dome500
03-18-2014, 04:27 AM
No, please, NO. A decline of day and night cycle would only improve FPS by a small margin, not graphics. Anyway AC:3 and AC:IV had better lighting than AC:1, IMO.

This.

There is no need to remove day/night cycle.

AC1 was way smaller than all the others, was IMO also on the same level as AC2 (AC2 just had another design, that is why it looked different IMO) in terms of graphics. I do not see a big difference there. And if a last-gen game really has the graphics of an AC4 - then what is there to complain about, seriously?

Day/Night adds a lot of atmosphere and makes the game feel more natural and diverse. Same goes for weather simulation.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 04:33 AM
Just look at AC1. It was released during the first true year of the 7th gen, It had some AMAZING lighting that we would not see in another AC game for 5 years. It also had wonderful particle effects and even some pretty nice textures. However, AC2 saw a MASSIVE drop in graphical quality, with poorer textures, draw distance, lighting, ect. Why did we see such a massive drop in quality?

LMAO
http://i58.tinypic.com/e0r82b.png

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 04:36 AM
I dont give a crap about graphics..
Idk why anyone else does
Skyrim looks like crap and is amazing.....
Same with minecraft...
Too late now anyway... game is done
This is the Last gen consoles swan song, so nothing to worry about going forward...

Wolfmeister1010
03-18-2014, 04:37 AM
This.

There is no need to remove day/night cycle.

AC1 was way smaller than all the others, was IMO also on the same level as AC2 (AC2 just had another design, that is why it looked different IMO) in terms of graphics. I do not see a big difference there. And if a last-gen game really has the graphics of an AC4 - then what is there to complain about, seriously?

Day/Night adds a lot of atmosphere and makes the game feel more natural and diverse. Same goes for weather simulation.

Well, to be fair, the environment in AC2 was noticeably "fuzzier" than AC1.

Wolfmeister1010
03-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Idk why anyone else does
Same with minecraft...
This is the Last gen consoles swan song, so nothing to worry about going forward...

Dude, you seriously...wow.

Don't tell me that you are one of those people who thinks that graphics don't matter at all. Of course it isn't ALL that matters, but it is a major part of what a game is, just like music, story, and gameplay. If you want great gameplay but don't give a crap about graphics, then go play Super Mario N64

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Dude, you seriously...wow.

Don't tell me that you are one of those people who thinks that graphics don't matter at all. Of course it isn't ALL that matters, but it is a major part of what a game is, just like music, story, and gameplay. If you want great gameplay but don't give a crap about graphics, then go play Super Mario N64

That makes no sense..why should i have to play Mario 64 if i dont care about graphics?
Not caring about graphics means i can enjoy ALL games. ;D
I just dont listen to fallout boy and cutmyself every time a shadow isnt right lollllll

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 05:05 AM
That makes no sense..why should i have to play Mario 64 if i dont care about graphics?
I just dont listen to fallout boy and cutmyself every time a shadow isnt right lollllll

Graphics are still an essential part of a game. Especially games that tries to capture a certain essence like realism which in this case is the AC franchise. Of course you can say graphics don't matter, but IMO, graphics matters just as much as gameplay and story. It's important for the developers to convey what they want players to be immersed in. If you played AC:1 in 2D 16bit, would you actually be immersed in the world like it was in the consoles? I know I wouldn't.

Anyway, I own both AC:1 and AC:2 on PC. AC:2 actually does factually have the worse graphics in the series. It's especially noticeable in the cities with all the pop-ins, bland textures, and poor lighting. Although, all that was picked back up with Brotherhood and Revelations.

[edit] Let me add poor textures on characters models and draw distances. Sorry, had to re-check.

Kagurra
03-18-2014, 05:26 AM

You're such a troll. It's tiresome.

Wolfmeister1010
03-18-2014, 05:30 AM
You're such a troll. It's tiresome.

No I believe he is being completely serious

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Graphics are still an essential part of a game. Especially games that tries to capture a certain essence like realism which in this case is the AC franchise. Of course you can say graphics don't matter, but IMO, graphics matters just as much as gameplay and story. It's important for the developers to convey what they want players to be immersed in. If you played AC:1 in 2D 16bit, would you actually be immersed in the world like it was in the consoles? I know I wouldn't.

Anyway, I own both AC:1 and AC:2 on PC. AC:2 actually does factually have the worse graphics in the series. It's especially noticeable in the cities with all the pop-ins, bland textures, and poor lighting. Although, all that was picked back up with Brotherhood and Revelations.

[edit] Let me add poor textures on characters models and draw distances. Sorry, had to re-check.
No one said anything about 2D...2d and 3d have nothing to do with graphics lol....

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 05:32 AM
No I believe he is being completely serious

I am completely serious..this is ridiculous...
Sure its great graphics have improved since pong lmfao but im not at all for sacrficing a day and night immersion creating system to see snot drip from my characters nose...

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Ride 2 hell retribution is much more of an immersive game than American McGee's Alice or Minecraft cause..you know..
Graphics ;)

Wolfmeister1010
03-18-2014, 05:43 AM
I am completely serious..this is ridiculous...
Sure its great graphics have improved since pong lmfao but im not at all for sacrficing a day and night immersion creating system to see snot drip from my characters nose...

Uh.."I dont give a crap about graphics..
Idk why anyone else does"

From what you said, which is what we are referring to, you made it clear that graphics have no importance to you lol.

Perhaps your meaning by what you said was misunderstood?

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 05:44 AM
No one said anything about 2D...2d and 3d have nothing to do with graphics lol....

Tell me you're joking.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 05:48 AM
Uh.."I dont give a crap about graphics..
Idk why anyone else does"

From what you said, which is what we are referring to, you made it clear that graphics have no importance to you lol.

Perhaps your meaning by what you said was misunderstood?

Theres a difference between something being important and you appreciating it....
I appreciate toilet paper, but if im in the woods leafs do the job...

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Tell me you're joking.

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends 2D looks better than Assassisns Creed 1 - 3D
Not a joke my friend...

shobhit7777777
03-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Graphics do matter...they help create immersive worlds and atmosphere. Graphics here denoting all the bells, whistles and polygons which recreate the real world.

@OP

Day/Night cycle and weather systems should stay and be improved upon. I'd love if the time of day and the weather impacts gameplay. During the night, there will be hardly any crowd...making rooftop navigation a better idea for getting around covertly...during the day, you have dense crowds so you can bounce around blending - similarly snow, rain etc. impact NPC behaviour.

AC has been flirting around with the concept...I hope they can execute it properly on next gen tech

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Don't tell me that you are one of those people who thinks that graphics don't matter at all. Of course it isn't ALL that matters,

For me there is a difference between graphics and art style. And I think graphics doesn't matter (for me), art style matters A LOT. A small example. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had horrible graphics. PS2-era models and animations that sometimes make you cringe. But I was able to look past it, way past it.. like it didnt even bother me. Why? Because its art style was so superb. That gold-tinted world, each location having its own different "scent" so to speak. (and also the small matter of pretty much everything else in the game being almost perfect). Bastion is a game with 2d sprites for "graphics". But its art style? Picture perfect. Poetry. I can write an ode to whoever directed its art. So I didnt care enough about the graphics being crappy 2d.

So for me I dont care for graphics that much as I care for the art style and the general atmosphere. I could hardly care if the textures are slightly grainy or field of view slightly hazy. But I do care about the immersion. As much as AC1 was supposedly superior in graphics than AC2, it could never recreate the feeling I got when I walked on Florence rooftops at nights.

So HELL NO. If they go back to day-only period for the sake of better graphics.. a major part of the fun in walking about the AC world would be taken out for me, much more than poorer graphics would have done.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-18-2014, 08:38 AM
For me there is a difference between graphics and art style. And I think graphics doesn't matter (for me), art style matters A LOT. A small example. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had horrible graphics. PS2-era models and animations that sometimes make you cringe. But I was able to look past it, way past it.. like it didnt even bother me. Why? Because its art style was so superb. That gold-tinted world, each location having its own different "scent" so to speak. (and also the small matter of pretty much everything else in the game being almost perfect). Bastion is a game with 2d sprites for "graphics". But its art style? Picture perfect. Poetry. I can write an ode to whoever directed its art. So I didnt care enough about the graphics being crappy 2d.

So for me I dont care for graphics that much as I care for the art style and the general atmosphere. I could hardly care if the textures are slightly grainy or field of view slightly hazy. But I do care about the immersion. As much as AC1 was supposedly superior in graphics than AC2, it could never recreate the feeling I got when I walked on Florence rooftops at nights.

So HELL NO. If they go back to day-only period for the sake of better graphics.. a major part of the fun in walking about the AC world would be taken out for me, much more than poorer graphics would have done.

+1

Graphics are the least important aspect to a game. Obviously, nice graphics are ideal but to sacrifice something different in exchange for better graphics? Nah. I'd never do it.

Gameplay > Story/Characters > Graphics.

If we throw in art style...

Gameplay > Story/Characters/Art Style > Graphics.

Graphics are literally as low as possible. If a game comes out looking, legitimately like a PS2 game (which DX:HR IS nicer than PS2 but yes, I get your point -- the graphics are HORRID) then yeah... that's a problem. Minecraft doesn't have "bad" graphics. People discuss it as though it does. It was intentionally designed to look like that. If you compare Minecraft to any N64 game, it looks leaps and bounds better than those.

I'd never sacrifice something like day/night cycle for the sake of graphics. That is beyond ridiculous.

Dome500
03-18-2014, 03:59 PM
On a site note guys: I recently had an idea and want to hear your opinion.

Since we are speaking about day/night cycles here: Do you believe we should be able to somehow skip a few hours in order to play in night/day based on our preference? (Like in The Witcher 1, being able to fast forward in order to play at the time we want)?

I'd like your opinion on that.
Because sometimes I'd like to play in the night but it's day, so I would have to wait for hours for it to be night.So I rather don't do it in those cases. Any ideas?

silvermercy
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Good point about Deus Ex:HR. Sometimes it's all about the atmosphere. For example I tried to play Crysis 2 (great graphics) but I just couldn't get into it.

However, I also tried to play the original Deus Ex and I just couldn't get into it because of the outdated graphics. lol

Bastiaen
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Not worth losing the day/night cycle. Not at all. Graphics aren't everything. They're nice, but they're just that, nice. I think the greatest reason why AC1 looked better was because of the cooler color palette. The games have cycled between cool and warm color palettes, and PERSONALLY, I prefer the cool color palettes (AC1, ACB, AC3). We won't lose the day/night cycle, and I'm glad of it, because I love those sunrises and sunsets.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 05:12 PM
However, I also tried to play the original Deus Ex and I just couldn't get into it because of the outdated graphics. lol

yeah that.. I tried to play that game as well and couldn't play because of the stone age graphics. That is why I won't say graphics is completely unimportant to me, because then I'd be lying. I just look for a basic level of graphics, as long as its there I dont care about it much. Atmosphere is where I focus more.

And its frankly quite saddening for me, because there are quite a lot of great games I can't play because of eyepain graphics. Deus Ex, The first Tomb raider games, the System Shock games... :(

About the ability to skip. There is a cheat to do that, why the hell not? Would certainly add to the immersion to have the ability to play at any time of the day without waiting. I'm certain some animus mumbo jumbo tech word would be sufficient to explain that away. Yeah good idea. Thumbs up from me!

he games have cycled between cool and warm color palettes, and PERSONALLY, I prefer the cool color palettes (AC1, ACB, AC3). We won't lose the day/night cycle, and I'm glad of it, because I love those sunrises and sunsets.

Good point. I never saw it like that but it definitely makes sense. And if my prediction of a British AC V is true then it fits your theory. :p

Rugterwyper32
03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Being all sorts of confused towards someone mentioning that Skyrim looks like crap either shows my disconnect from the modern perception of "good" graphics. Frankly, I have no problem going back to older games and play through them without having problem with how they look so long as you're capable of figuring out that your character is a character and that you're actually somewhere (not Superman 64 basically) and you can enjoy some quality gameplay. And I do feel some of my personal favorites still hold up to this day, Metroid Prime for instance. Then again, I stopped caring about how much better graphics could get after playing Sonic Unleashed, after that point I really stopped giving a damn. Any better than that for me is just bonus, really.

As for day/night cycle, I say keep it. You get some gorgeous views based on time of the day, and I'd also be happy if they made it had an impact on the gameplay with a more general schedule sort of system for crowds, make things vary according to time of the day. Fun times.

I-Like-Pie45
03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Good point about Deus Ex:HR. Sometimes it's all about the atmosphere. For example I tried to play Crysis 2 (great graphics) but I just couldn't get into it.

Silver

your vision is not augmented :(

Mr_Shade
03-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Well, to be fair, the environment in AC2 was noticeably "fuzzier" than AC1.

I don't think the lighting had anything to do with that..

It would be DOF [Depth of Field] an effect used to stop your eye being detracted by distant objects - and - engine limits due to the improvements in detail and the amount of objects on screen ;)

Anyone who has used a PC for gaming - knows that lighting does affect performance, however it's normally the shadows - which would be less at night - which hamper performance..

So, if anything - removing day time - would improve the amount of resources available.. possibly ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Since we are speaking about day/night cycles here: Do you believe we should be able to somehow skip a few hours in order to play in night/day based on our preference? (Like in The Witcher 1, being able to fast forward in order to play at the time we want)?

Because sometimes I'd like to play in the night but it's day, so I would have to wait for hours for it to be night.So I rather don't do it in those cases. Any ideas?

I'm honestly VERY surprised something like this doesn't already exist...
I havn't played Farcry 3 yet, but I know in FarCry 2 you can find a bed and sleep x amount of hours..I believe a system like this with an added contract stipulation (your target is usually spotter here at ____ pm or am...you would prep, wake up an hour or 2 earlier and wait.......would add a great deal of immersion..but im kind of torn between that or running around until it got dark..which would be more immersive..
But I would be all for adding time specific missions/contracts

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Being all sorts of confused towards someone mentioning that Skyrim looks like crap either shows my disconnect from the modern perception of "good" graphics. .

With Mods and PC working with skyrim it gorgeous, but on consoles - (though still gorgeous for what it is) its no killzone or assassins creed 3 in terms of graphics..which is understandable..its about 5 times larger than both of those games...but the thing is those graphics dont make the game any better or worse..still in my top 10 games of all time :D

LoyalACFan
03-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Yes, I would love that. Rockstar games already do it, just pop into a safehouse and sleep to skip six hours at a time.

Somebody told me you could do this in Freedom Cry, but I think they might have misspoken and meant Far Cry, because I haven't found a way to interact with any of the beds in the brothel/hotel.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
With Mods and PC working with skyrim it gorgeous, but on consoles - (though still gorgeous for what it is) its no killzone or assassins creed 3 in terms of graphics..which is understandable..its about 5 times larger than both of those games...but the thing is those graphics dont make the game any better or worse..still in my top 10 games of all time :D

It still looked quite beautiful on my PC before I installed all the mods. After that..well you know the story.

HDinHB
03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
I haven't found a way to interact with any of the beds in the brothel/hotel

Not for lack of trying, I'm sure :p

I've often thought, with all the comfortable chairs, couches, and beds scattered around the various villas, hideouts, and homesteads (and brothels), why our poor Assassin can't just sit down and take a load off once in a while. I mean they can sit on a hard bench in the street, why can't they crash in a comfy chair for a bit?

There are certainly missions that are better done by moonlight, and some by day, so I have, on occasion, stolen a nap in a haystack while I attended to real world needs and waited for the sun to rise
or set. That should be easy enough to implement, perhaps whenever you stop to sit in a comfy chair.

As for trading other gameplay elements for better "graphics" (depending on what the definition of graphics is), I am disinclined to acquiesce. There's a point of diminishing returns in going from "good enough" to "noticeably better" to "numerically better." Some people will always want moar pixels or moar frames or just moar moar, even if the only way they can tell it's better is because the numbers say it's better. Certainly the video quality in AC4 was noticeably better than that in Liberation HD, but it didn't take long before I didn't notice anymore and it didn't affect the game for me (except that awful wallpaper in the manse---please). I was describing some of the AC4 trailer videos to a friend and he asked if the graphics were photo-realistic. I told him they weren't, but that somehow they were better than that, they didn't look like a photo, they looked like you felt they should look. In the first episode of the Black Sails TV show, they sailed into Nassau harbor, which I recognized immediately, but it felt better in the game, more alive, more 3D. I get that same "I've been there" feeling in movies with Johnny Depp running across rooftops in Venice or James Bond riding a motorcycle through Instanbul, and there's a beat or two before I realize I haven't actually been there. Maybe someday. That kind of immersion comes from more than just good graphics, and I'd hate to give up that feeling in exchange for some prettier pictures.

At least I'm not the only one to confuse AC with the real world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9V9Mh_Olak

Dome500
03-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Actually guys, there WAS even one game which featured a speed-up of time where you'd see the sun set and the moon rise if you started at daytime.
But to my disappointment it was nothing you could control yourself.
In Assassins Creed Brotherhood when you wanted Leonardo to do something for you the time would pass and Ezio would sit on this bench until Leonardo returned (about half a day later).

I'd really like them to include something like the GTA/Witcher mechanic to speed up time a few hours until you have reached your preferred or needed time of day.

Rugterwyper32
03-19-2014, 12:41 AM
I'd say a wait option like the one for The Elder Scrolls games could do, you have some more control over what time of the day it ends up being by the end of it. But any sort of way to quickly pass time would do it for me at this point, really.

ACfan443
03-19-2014, 12:46 AM
No, please, NO. A decline of day and night cycle would only improve FPS by a small margin, not graphics.

I'm also not entirely convinved how much harm the D/N does to the visuals if at all tbh.

It's not so much the effect a day/night cycle has on performance, I believe it's more the consistency and quality of lighting that can be achieved. I always wondered what the reason was for the greater visual fidelity in AC1 compared to AC2, and someone here explained that it was down to superior lighting achieved by the lack of a D/N cycle. The source of light in AC1 came from a single, fixed point (since time of day didn't change) which made implementing excellent lighting easier, whereas AC2's light point source was constantly shifting as the day progressed, presumably making it more time consuming and difficult to produce lighting of equal quality.

frodrigues55
03-19-2014, 02:02 AM
I can't really say I ever noticed that AC1 graphics are better than AC2, but if it is, I think the number of things being rendered on screen has probably a lot to do with it. AC2 is the bigger game. Its world has a lot more going on, both in size as in activities, and open worlds are usually system consuming on its own. So yeah, I'm with the crowd that thinks D/N cycles has nothing or very little to do with it...

Dev_Anj
03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
However[/I], I also tried to play the original Deus Ex and I just couldn't get into it because of the outdated graphics. lol

Try Deus Ex: New Vision. It improves the graphics by quite a bit.

http://www.gamalive.com/images/fiches/6606-deux-ex-mod.jpg

I wish someone would make an HD modification for Deus Ex as good as Gecko's HD modification for Thief: Gold.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/20/19999/thumb_620x2000/b1.2.jpg

I-Like-Pie45
03-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Makes you wonder what could be accomplished if Ubisoft make it possible for us to mod their games

pirate1802
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Welp, how come I never found out about that?

*goes to download that mod*

Thanks a lot. Time to enjoy the classic! :D

Landruner
06-30-2014, 05:00 AM
Idk why anyone else does
Same with minecraft...

Good point and I joint your opinion ++++

Calvarok
06-30-2014, 05:05 AM
I never really cared about the day/night cycle. I'm happy with unity's approach of just setting the day to different times depending on what time it needs to be in the story or mission. I hope we're allowed to change it on our own later on, because that's all I really wanted. Wouldn't mind if Comet did it, too, since the lighting could look so gosh darned good. Lighting is basically the main thing that makes games visually impressing to me, to be honest.

Wolfmeister1010
06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Ohh I am so flattered. I love how my thread is suddenly relevant again

Dev_Anj
06-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Huh, I am honestly very ambivalent about this. On one hand, I enjoyed the sunsets and sunrises in the Ezio games. On the other, I don't see it really affecting gameplay, and honestly it didn't affect gameplay as much in the Ezio games, AC 3 and AC 4. I guess they'd have stronger lighting with fixed times of day, but then you wouldn't have a dynamic change of day. I personally don't care for that, as long as we do get different weather and times of day. I hope we can set which time of day and weather we want through a menu at least.

Sesheenku
06-30-2014, 05:48 AM
It's not about performance, it's because it affects the lighting and shadows since they have to constantly adjust, with the lighting they're doing now they haven't yet mastered how to add the cycle without a drop in lighting quality.