PDA

View Full Version : do you guys think Ubisoft regrets adding a modern day portion

Radman500
03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
because judging from AC4, it looks like they dont really care about the development of the modern storyline...

obviously they can't drop it, cause it wouldn't make sense and it would piss of alot of hardcore fans that love the modern day storyline

but i wonder if Ubisoft had to redo it all over again, would they of still added a modern day storyline?

killzab
03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Yes

Kirokill
03-17-2014, 06:00 PM
I read Darby said on AC Initiates(dk the link) that they tweaked the ending in AC3 in order to continue the franchise since it was becoming so famous.
Anyway it seems like a yes to me, since it is no longer able to be dropped out, they have to do something a bit easier with it to not care about plots much. I also never liked the modern story, Desmond always seemed selfish, except at the ending of AC1, he acted a bit more like an adult.

dxsxhxcx
03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
I doubt the amount of fans they would lose if they completely drop the modern days would do any harm to the franchise' sales, if it did they never would've allowed the modern portion of the game to reach the point it did in AC4. They won't drop it to not admit that the reason they did so was because the yearly releases/parallel development.

Aphex_Tim
03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
If they dropped it in a next game, I would still buy it for sure but I would also be kinda disappointed. I always liked the modern day story line; especially how it was handled in AC1 and AC4. In those two games, it always felt like a lot was kept from you and then it was up to you to sneak about and hack into various computers, slowly learning more and more about what's going on in the modern day Assssins vs. Templars struggle. AC1 and AC4 always made it feel rewarding somehow.

Dome500
03-17-2014, 07:09 PM
If they dropped it next game I would be out.

Maybe I'm in the minority.

souNdwAve89
03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
As of right now, yes. It's obvious that the story they originally intended has been massively changed. I am a fan of the modern day story, and I always said it has potential. They could have made the modern day story great, but the gameplay in AC3 was pretty cringeworthy, which is surprising from a company that created Splinter Cell and how Watch_Dogs is looking. By the end of AC3, I stopped caring because of how Desmond was handled. AC4's modern day portion was okay, and it was neat to hack into computers and learn about more Vidic and how the Animus technology came to be. I know that there is AC Initiates, which has a good chunk of modern day stuff, but I was never a fan of AC's transmedia products.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Not at all...
You may not realize it, but Desmonds story is the one that kept you itching for more.
Desmonds sold the pre orders.
HOWEVER, were they prepared for the series' success?
Absolutely not...
AC IV clearly showed that they had no answer to how the series could go on without desmond..
They werent prepared to go beyond a trilogy.
They kind of just made it up as they went along and it felt lazy...
I wish times a billion that it would have been an inception kind of thing and that you were actually reliving desmonds memories through the animus the whole time. and Remember while living as desmond as connor that connor spoke of edward and your team does some research giving you incentive to check him out...
But either way, Im sure we all hate getting pulled from the animus, right as something is about to get good...
But THAT is the hook.....
That is what makes AC games so fun..getting pulled out when you least expect it..That cliff hanger..
It creates longing and without it..
I truly believe he series would get boring...

Sushiglutton
03-17-2014, 09:52 PM
I dunno, I think there are different opinions at Ubisoft about it. It served them well for a couple of iterations, but now it has become somewhat of a burden I believe. The modern section in AC4 was completely redundant imo. It's kind of sad to think about all the hundreds of hours of work that went into creating it.

Dome500
03-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Not at all...
You may not realize it, but Desmonds story is the one that kept you itching for more.
HOWEVER, were they prepared for the series' success?
Absolutely not...
AC IV clearly showed that they had no answer to how the series could go on without desmond..
They werent prepared to go beyond a trilogy.
They kind of just made it up as they went along and it felt lazy...
I wish times a billion that it would have been an inception kind of thing and that you were actually reliving desmonds memories through the animus the whole time. and Remember while living as desmond as connor that connor spoke of edward and your team does some research giving you incentive to check him out...
But either way, Im sure we all hate getting pulled from the animus, right as something is about to get good...
But THAT is the hook.....
That is what makes AC games so fun..getting pulled out when you least expect it..That cliff hanger..
It creates longing and without it..
I truly believe he series would get boring...

Absolutely agreed. And that exactly is the problem in AC4 for me. There is just no real MD story. So it gets boring. It's still a good game, but rather one (for me personally) I would buy some months after release (if I had the chance to go back in time and know how modern day in AC4 would be).

STDlyMcStudpants
03-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Absolutely agreed. And that exactly is the problem in AC4 for me. There is just no real MD story. So it gets boring. It's still a good game, but rather one (for me personally) I would buy some months after release (if I had the chance to go back in time and know how modern day in AC4 would be).

Exactly...A lack of modern day takes out the urgency..since nothing really happened..theres no wondering about what is going to happen next so youre willing to wait for a price drop
It then just turns into a new ip every year rather than an assassins creed game, and that will also take out a sense of any order or wanting to play the games you missed out on...
Im being 100% honest when I say that I didnt go back and play AC1, brotherhood and AC2, after ACR and AC3 because I loved the game play or even that i thought ezio was a badass..I want back for the modern day story...

Dome500
03-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Now that you speak of it, AC4 is the first game where I did NOT play the previous games (AC1 - AC3) in preparation before playing it.

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 01:41 AM
They probably would. Keep in mind that modern from now on is separate. Each development team are free to make their own kind of modern day, may it be First Person, Third Person, or a short introduction to a new protagonist in some kind of Telltale fashion. Of course with a few set restrictions like Juno to link it all up, but not as demanding as before like the Desmond Saga. Ubisoft knows that there's a majority of players who're enticed by it and it would be silly of them to remove it. What we have now is apparently the developer's best way of incorporating modern day while leaving room to focus more on the ancestor's aspects.

Dome500
03-18-2014, 04:33 AM
They probably would. Keep in mind that modern from now on is separate. Each development team are free to make their own kind of modern day, may it be First Person, Third Person, or a short introduction to a new protagonist in some kind of Telltale fashion. Of course with a few set restrictions like Juno to link it all up, but not as demanding as before like the Desmond Saga. Ubisoft knows that there's a majority of players who're enticed by it and it would be silly of them to remove it. What we have now is apparently the developer's best way of incorporating modern day while leaving room to focus more on the ancestor's aspects.

Which is IMO a lame way. If they keep this up in the exact same way they might as well just get rid of it, because I personally don't dig it.

1. If modern day is separate in every game it should be MORE.
2. IF MD should not be more then it should be connected across games to tell a story
3. Modern Day is supposed to MOVE somewhere, even if every 2 - 3 games is a self-contained modern day story

Just my humble opinion....

Layytez
03-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Without the Modern day the reasoning for even going into the past disappears. At that point they may aswell scrap the assassins vs templars plot and just make historical games. People who say they don't care about the modern day plot are just playing these AC games due to their historical substance, not to follow a story that hasn't been written in books.

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 05:13 AM
Which is IMO a lame way. If they keep this up in the exact same way they might as well just get rid of it, because I personally don't dig it.

1. If modern day is separate in every game it should be MORE.
2. IF MD should not be more then it should be connected across games to tell a story
3. Modern Day is supposed to MOVE somewhere, even if every 2 - 3 games is a self-contained modern day story

Just my humble opinion....

1. That's what I'm hoping the other developers will try to attempt.
2. If you're talking about another saga like Desmond, then that's exactly what the developers are trying to escape.
3. Technically it is. We've only had a small taste through AC:IV so fingers crossed.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Probably. But thats because they changed their original plan too many times and now its gotten out of hand. So naturally they'll regret it. Had they followed through their original plan? Maybe not then.

If they dropped it in a next game, I would still buy it for sure but I would also be kinda disappointed. I always liked the modern day story line; especially how it was handled in AC1 and AC4. In those two games, it always felt like a lot was kept from you and then it was up to you to sneak about and hack into various computers, slowly learning more and more about what's going on in the modern day Assssins vs. Templars struggle. AC1 and AC4 always made it feel rewarding somehow.

You are the first person I've seen who likes the AC4 modern day system. :p

Not at all...]but Desmonds story is the one that kept you itching for more.

Desmond maybe scratched your itch, but not mine. And still doesn't. I'm more excited to learn about the historical settings and protagonist of AC5 than to know what happened to that mad machine goddess in a wannabe sci fi story.

lol

Without the Modern day the reasoning for even going into the past disappears.

If the entire modern day animus aspect disappeared then yes. But that still doesn't mean we need elaborate present day setup like pre-AC3 and its own separate (non)fleshed out protagonist to effectively tell a past story.. Sushi's history student using the Animus to uncover the past comes to mind. Simple and unobtrusive.

People who say they don't care about the modern day plot are just playing these AC games due to their historical substance, not to follow a story that hasn't been written in books.

Hue. As if that automatically devalues their reasons to play the game. I am always amazed by a fanbase's ability to demean a part of their own in order to elevate their arguments. Keep riding that high horse of yours buddy. :)

Btw, show me how a story cannot have minimal present day interaction and still be about "history that hasn't been in the books."

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 07:49 AM
You are the first person I've seen who likes the AC4 modern day system. :p

Desmond maybe scratched your itch, but not mine. And still doesn't. I'm more excited to learn about the historical settings and protagonist of AC5 than to know what happened to that mad machine goddess in a wannabe sci fi story.

lol

If the entire modern day animus aspect disappeared then yes. But that still doesn't mean we need elaborate present day setup like pre-AC3 and its own separate (non)fleshed out protagonist to effectively tell a past story.. Sushi's history student using the Animus to uncover the past comes to mind. Simple and unobtrusive.

Hue. As if that automatically devalues their reasons to play the game. I am always amazed by a fanbase's ability to demean a part of their own in order to elevate their arguments.

Btw, show me how a story cannot have minimal present day interaction and still be about "history that hasn't been in the books."

Wow. You. I like you. A lot.

The forums need more people like you. I'm hating the whole idealism that it's okay to belittle others' integrity towards series simply because you have a different opinion.

Anyway, I like the modern day system for AC:IV too,-- whether it apparently devalues my standards or not. Hopefully AC:V will expand it.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm hating the whole idealism that it's okay to belittle others' integrity towards series simply because you have a different opinion..

Its not just here though. Its in every fanbase. The new Tomb Raider fans are belittled as casual braindead masses by older fans, people who like Mass Effect 3 are seen as casual shooter fans (and god help you if you confessed to like the ending. You'll be mobbed and booed out, but not before being told you are objectively wrong and you should feel bad.) ..part of the reason I don't like to mingle with any fanbase much. Just browse a little, comment some, get news and log out :p

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Its not just here though. Its in every fanbase. The new Tomb Raider fans are belittled as casual braindead masses by older fans, people who like Mass Effect 3 are seen as casual shooter fans (and god help you if you confessed to like the ending. You'll be mobbed and booed out, but not before being told you are objectively wrong and you should feel bad.) ..part of the reason I don't like to mingle with any fanbase much. Just browse a little, comment some, get news and log out :p

Which is the exact reason why I'm more of a Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube kind of guy. It's easier to browse with/at the fans of the community without interacting too much. I thought the AC forums would be at least somewhat more tolerable. Reason being that AC is very popular and full of diverse attributes and unique aspects that fascinates people of all cultures and interests. But I guessed wrong. It sucks that enjoying a franchise is so much work these days.

Dome500
03-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Nah, if you don't care about other peoples opinion it's not so hard ;)

No, but seriously, what I express here is only my opinion. I don't know how many people of those 10 million AC4 buyers agree with me. But I personally didn'T like AC4's modern day.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-18-2014, 08:19 PM

I can 100% relate to this statement.. (of course the story is what keeps me wanting for more) But I too am more excited about the assassin and setting of ac V than i am the modern day story, because currently it is a mess...i felt like nothing happened in AC IV lol

Layytez
03-19-2014, 01:02 AM

Hue. As if that automatically devalues their reasons to play the game. I am always amazed by a fanbase's ability to demean a part of their own in order to elevate their arguments. Keep riding that high horse of yours buddy. :)

1. Never said it would or did.
2. Didn't say it wasn't possible.

As of late the recent AC games have shoehorned so much historical material such as important figures that the main characters knows it's become annoying. AC3 did it the worst. I want to experience a time in the past yes but I don't want every important figure from that time period thrown in my face.

Dome500
03-19-2014, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, found this coincidentally on IGN, thought I'd post it here:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/29/news-ubisoft-hasnt-really-planned-the-end-of-assassins-creed

So according to that statement AC4 is not the standard we should expect in the future, it was more like a "bridge". At least that is how it is described here. Of course such sentences are highly interpretative, but I guess that does at least mean we could hope for more interesting stories in the future.

We know they couldn't possibly go on with Desmonds story, that's why they ended it.
My guess is that they said "okay, lets make a cut and think about our next steps". And I think the end of AC3 and the modern day part of AC4 was that "cut".
So they kind of ended the Desmond story and we can at least hope that MD is going to new horizons with AC5.