PDA

View Full Version : The guy from Watchdogs works for Erudito

Templar_Az
03-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

RinoTheBouncer
03-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Ubisoft would be a GENIUSES if they decided to put both games in the same universe. I mean how hard can it be to do that? it will be the most epic franchises, spanning two grand franchises revolving around the same story and universe, canonically.

Templar_Az
03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
By the way for anyone who doesnt know what Erudito is, its basically someone who is hacking into Abstergo.

frodrigues55
03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Ubisoft would be a GENIUSES if they decided to put both games in the same universe. I mean how hard can it be to do that? it will be the most epic franchises, spanning two grand franchises revolving around the same story and universe, canonically.

I trully hope not. AC's story is already spread out through so many different medias, the last thing it needs is to be spread through another franchises as well.

I can see it doing it more harm than good, alienating players and making the overall plot much more confusing than it already is

Dome500
03-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I think it would work rather well as long as they never set a modern day AC in chicago.

Also, I think easter eggs here and there, cameos and references should be the only thing to happen. It should not be actually CONNECTED, but appear to be "possible".

pirate1802
03-16-2014, 07:18 PM
I think its a good thing, give players who want to play a modern day AC an ACesque game without butchering AC. Thumbs up from my side.

AherasSTRG
03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Ubisoft has already confirmed that the Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs and Far Cry franchises take place in the same universe. However, the chance of them meddling together is low.

Hans684
03-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Ubisoft has already confirmed that the Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs and Far Cry franchises take place in the same universe. However, the chance of them meddling together is low.

They have confirmed they are not in the same universe, it's just Easter eggs that connects them.

RinoTheBouncer
03-16-2014, 11:30 PM
I trully hope not. AC's story is already spread out through so many different medias, the last thing it needs is to be spread through another franchises as well.

I can see it doing it more harm than good, alienating players and making the overall plot much more confusing than it already is

Well there are so many people who crave a fully modern day AC game. I think it won’t hurt anybody if they’re somehow connected. Not just with Easter Eggs but with an actual story. It would help boosting the sales of both franchises without having to make them look like sequels. They can just organize all what they have to say about each story and continue in a less confusing manner. Like Watch Dogs is some sort of spin-off. It adds and doesn’t contradict nor remove.

AC story is confusing cause they’ve left so many loose ends, untied and so many stories, unfinished. If they manage to organize everything and tie up the loose ends between the two franchises, it would be perfect. At least better than the acinitiates gimmick.

frodrigues55
03-17-2014, 02:14 AM
Well there are so many people who crave a fully modern day AC game. I think it won’t hurt anybody if they’re somehow connected. Not just with Easter Eggs but with an actual story. It would help boosting the sales of both franchises without having to make them look like sequels. They can just organize all what they have to say about each story and continue in a less confusing manner. Like Watch Dogs is some sort of spin-off. It adds and doesn’t contradict nor remove.

AC story is confusing cause they’ve left so many loose ends, untied and so many stories, unfinished. If they manage to organize everything and tie up the loose ends between the two franchises, it would be perfect. At least better than the acinitiates gimmick.

I'm not sure it would boost sales. It could work the other way. Both games are different, so having them tied in could potentially turn people off. It makes no sense to risk it instead of creating something completly new and free of leashes. They have the oportunity to build a new game from the ground, so why would they want to follow another game's rules?

I agree with you - if they could organize everything, it would be nice - but I'm not sure they can. They can't even make new modern day stories because of all the AC being in production at the same time, can you imagine the mess it would become if they had to tie in with Watch Dogs too? And if WD becomes a multi-studio franchise as AC is, it would be even more chaotic wouldn't it? :p

There's also so much information regarding AC spread around, it's bound to get too complicated to explain. They have to focus and make every media telling its own story, otherwise they will have to reboot for a second chance and I hate reboots.

AC is getting just too big and the attempts to connect every media can be too overwhelming - especially for new fans.

When playing AC3, I was caught by surprise when everyone seemed to know about Daniel and I had no clue who that person was, altough I had played all games. Now, I see people talking about Ade's death and grandson being an Assassin, heard about a ship called Altair II being in Russia, found out Edward had an encounter with the Templars before Black Flag, it's just getting too crowded with new people and new information all the time.

In my opinion, they could have a general design and have a cannon world telling its story through various medias. Daniel and Nikolai's history could exist on the AC world without having to cross-reference with the game, for example. No conflicts, but no direct connection either.

So, to me, the less the better right now. Easter Eggs are cute. Creating news bonds, that I don't want.

pirate1802
03-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Not maybe connected intimately, but having both games take place in the same universe (without meddling in each other's main stories) won't hurt.

LoyalACFan
03-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Not maybe connected intimately, but having both games take place in the same universe (without meddling in each other's main stories) won't hurt.

IMO it's sort of an all or nothing deal. If they're going to be set in the same universe, they should be connected in a meaningful way, otherwise what's the point of setting them in the same universe in the first place? Just for the sake of Easter Eggs and trivial connections we're already getting?

W_D basically IS a modern AC, in all but name. Aiden's assassinating his way through a shadowy underground society, but without all the POE/First Civilization bunk. I don't think they need to be canonically connected in order for people to get their modern AC fix from Watch_Dogs.

frodrigues55
03-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't think they need to be canonically connected in order for people to get their modern AC fix from Watch_Dogs.

Agreed... the gameplay won't change anyway, so why do it. It prevents conflicts and give more freedom to developers of both franchises, so there's really no point.

pirate1802
03-17-2014, 12:58 PM
When is W_D coming out? I preordered it last year and then promptly forgot everything about it haha

dxsxhxcx
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
the last thing I need is Aiden having some sort of contact with TWCB or POEs (it would COMPLETELY RUIN the story for me), easter eggs just for fun are fine (like a company called Abstergo or some weird news about an assassination and a person doing a leap of faith from a window, making a reference to Daniel Cross mission where he kills the Assassin mentor in Dubai), canon connections between the two universes, no thanks, if Ubisoft don't bother to work in the damn modern days plots they create in the franchise where they're supposed to matter, they shouldn't waste their time with it in other games just to pretend they care about it, (IMO) worst idea ever..

Philliesfan377
03-17-2014, 01:38 PM
When is W_D coming out? I preordered it last year and then promptly forgot everything about it haha

May 27th for PlayStation, Xbox and PC. No release date for WiiU, however.

Mr.GoodKall
03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
May 27th for PlayStation, Xbox and PC. No release date for WiiU, however.

Or he can just click on the game and read the date that's right under the picture.......

Kagurra
03-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Not this crap again...

Bojanglesz
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
There's also so much information regarding AC spread around, it's bound to get too complicated to explain. They have to focus and make every media telling its own story, otherwise they will have to reboot for a second chance and I hate reboots.

AC is getting just too big and the attempts to connect every media can be too overwhelming - especially for new fans.

When playing AC3, I was caught by surprise when everyone seemed to know about Daniel and I had no clue who that person was, altough I had played all games. Now, I see people talking about Ade's death and grandson being an Assassin, heard about a ship called Altair II being in Russia, found out Edward had an encounter with the Templars before Black Flag, it's just getting too crowded with new people and new information all the time.

Totally agree with this.

Some parts of AC is hard to explain as it is, with most of new stuff going onto AC Initiates or into novels. As much as I enjoy playing the games, trying to keep up with all the new characters and new information is taking the fun out of what was a very enjoyable series. Daniel Cross was a great example, as like you, I had no idea who he was and after you met him, you needed to do some extra research. If they had mentioned him beforehand in the games instead of on other AC related media sites then I think it would have been easier for the fans to understand.

mikeyf1999
03-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Totally agree with this.

Some parts of AC is hard to explain as it is, with most of new stuff going onto AC Initiates or into novels. As much as I enjoy playing the games, trying to keep up with all the new characters and new information is taking the fun out of what was a very enjoyable series. Daniel Cross was a great example, as like you, I had no idea who he was and after you met him, you needed to do some extra research. If they had mentioned him beforehand in the games instead of on other AC related media sites then I think it would have been easier for the fans to understand.
I guess you didn't play multiplayer in ACR as they kind of explain who he is (not full biography but how important he is)

Bojanglesz
03-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I guess you didn't play multiplayer in ACR as they kind of explain who he is (not full biography but how important he is)

I did, but I don't think him injecting the player makes him that memorable. I think I read more up about him on the AC Wiki, but if fans of the game series don't play the MP element or do outside research then they would have no idea who he is.

mikeyf1999
03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I did, but I don't think him injecting the player makes him that memorable. I think I read more up about him on the AC Wiki, but if fans of the game series don't play the MP element or do outside research then they would have no idea who he is.
Yeah here's the thing I wasn't talking about the video
Like I said if you played it and looked at the files it's showing subject 4
Why would I talk about a video that has him for 10 seconds

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Thats part of the reason why Cross didn't have a bigger role in AC3. Make his role smaller and invested fans rail. Make his role larger and fans not following the comics have no clue where the hell he came from.

Kirokill
03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
fans not following the comics have no clue where the hell he came from.

My situation. Thanks for solving it.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 06:27 PM
My situation. Thanks for solving it.

You should give the comics a read. It has more on Cross and also the badass mustached Russian assassin :)

LoyalACFan
03-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Thats part of the reason why Cross didn't have a bigger role in AC3. Make his role smaller and invested fans rail. Make his role larger and fans not following the comics have no clue where the hell he came from.

IMO they should just stop telling the story across multiple mediums. They could still have self-contained AC stories in novels, comics, films, or what have you, but they shouldn't make the material from those stories directly connect to the plot of the video games beyond being set in the same canon or some Easter eggs. AC3 is a perfect example of the conflict this can cause. You missed out on SO much if you didn't read The Fall for Daniel's story and Forsaken for Haytham's story to fill in the blanks. Even dedicated fans who played every single game to 100% completion would have missed it. And to make matters worse, Forsaken was advertised as a novelization of AC3, so nobody even knew beforehand that there was anything in it that wouldn't be in the game.

Bottom line, don't spread the story piecemeal across video games, novels, films, comics, and multiplayer.

Hans684
03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Bottom line, don't spread the story piecemeal across video games, novels, films, comics, and multiplayer.

Then there would be little to no story progress in modern day, it's a small part of the games so to don't do that would slow it ridiculously slow compared to how it's now. AC is the franchise that never sleeps thanks to every other media and in term of modern day we can thank Initiates the most.

pirate1802
03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
IMO they should just stop telling the story across multiple mediums. They could still have self-contained AC stories in novels, comics, films, or what have you, but they shouldn't make the material from those stories directly connect to the plot of the video games beyond being set in the same canon or some Easter eggs. AC3 is a perfect example of the conflict this can cause. You missed out on SO much if you didn't read The Fall for Daniel's story and Forsaken for Haytham's story to fill in the blanks. Even dedicated fans who played every single game to 100% completion would have missed it. And to make matters worse, Forsaken was advertised as a novelization of AC3, so nobody even knew beforehand that there was anything in it that wouldn't be in the game.

Or maybe in hindsight they should have given Cross a bigger and better introduction in Revelations itself..

LoyalACFan
03-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Then there would be little to no story progress in modern day, it's a small part of the games so to don't do that would slow it ridiculously slow compared to how it's now. AC is the franchise that never sleeps thanks to every other media and in term of modern day we can thank Initiates the most.

I don't think you realize how horrendous the "franchise that never sleeps" thing actually is. That is not a desirable thing to be. In order to get the full story, you literally have to check Initiates like every single day. Not a problem for hardcore fans, but how many of us are there? A few hundred, out of the tens of millions who have bought AC games? AC is becoming a franchise that only its die-hard fans can follow, and that's a VERY bad thing. It just further ingrains the notion of gaming as a subculture rather than an art form. Games are perfectly capable of telling powerful, intricate stories on their own, as AC games themselves have done in the past. They don't need to chop up their narrative and distribute it across half a dozen mediums.

Or maybe in hindsight they should have given Cross a bigger and better introduction in Revelations itself..

Possibly, but unless they spent literally the entire modern day portion talking about him, it still wouldn't do him justice, or convey the weight of what an important character he was supposed to be. Plus, they really needed to wrap up the Subject 16 thing and I actually think they did so pretty well, so centering the modern portion on Cross would have been a misstep.

Bojanglesz
03-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah here's the thing I wasn't talking about the video
Like I said if you played it and looked at the files it's showing subject 4
Why would I talk about a video that has him for 10 seconds

Oh, I apologise, I didn't even know there were files in ACR, I was only aware of the videos. Might load it back up and have a look when I get a chance.

mikeyf1999
03-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Oh, I apologise, I didn't even know there were files in ACR, I was only aware of the videos. Might load it back up and have a look when I get a chance.

Don't worry about it
You have to be at a certain level I can't remember what it was

Bojanglesz
03-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Don't worry about it
You have to be at a certain level I can't remember what it was

I've reached max level on all of them so it may be unlocked unless you had to go through the prestige levels. AC3 was the first game where I actually started to pay attention and look into the files that were found in game, so it may be worth it if I played through some of the older games again...

mikeyf1999
03-18-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't think you realize how horrendous the "franchise that never sleeps" thing actually is. That is not a desirable thing to be. In order to get the full story, you literally have to check Initiates like every single day. Not a problem for hardcore fans, but how many of us are there? A few hundred, out of the tens of millions who have bought AC games? AC is becoming a franchise that only its die-hard fans can follow, and that's a VERY bad thing. It just further ingrains the notion of gaming as a subculture rather than an art form. Games are perfectly capable of telling powerful, intricate stories on their own, as AC games themselves have done in the past. They don't need to chop up their narrative and distribute it across half a dozen mediums.

Possibly, but unless they spent literally the entire modern day portion talking about him, it still wouldn't do him justice, or convey the weight of what an important character he was supposed to be. Plus, they really needed to wrap up the Subject 16 thing and I actually think they did so pretty well, so centering the modern portion on Cross would have been a misstep.

True but you know how long it could take for them to have every single thing from the modern day storyline into the games
Not making an excuse but no you don't have to check it every day heck I check it at the end of each month either at the website or on ac wiki

frodrigues55
03-19-2014, 02:11 AM
True but you know how long it could take for them to have every single thing from the modern day storyline into the games
Not making an excuse but no you don't have to check it every day heck I check it at the end of each month either at the website or on ac wiki

But that's not the reason why we play, though. I signed up for a game I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I want to keep on reading wikis and novels, buying comics, play multiplayer to the max levels or get new DLCs just so I can understand what's going on.

We are not saying they don't provide the information - they do. But this information is spread around too much, it's hard to keep on going on and it does alienate players. I can say because I'm not one to go after every single piece of merchandise just so I can enjoy my games better. And every now and then I get surprised by random information, like Desmond & Co talking about Daniel Craig like I was supposed to know him. My immediate reaction to that was "wait, what did I miss?";

That's just one example. It's tiring because it seems like you will never know everything regarding AC, so at one point, people might stop caring to run after everything. I have absolute no patience to Initiates and it's already bothering me how much of the universe I am missing.

So, yeah. There are means to find out, but it's not what I wanted from AC. I just wanted a game which could tell its own stories on its own.

LoyalACFan
03-19-2014, 02:23 AM
But that's not the reason why we play, though. I signed up for a game I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I want to keep on reading wikis and novels, buying comics, play multiplayer to the max levels or get new DLCs just so I can understand what's going on.

We are not saying they don't provide the information - they do. But this information is spread around too much, it's hard to keep on going on and it does alienate players. I can say because I'm not one to go after every single piece of merchandise just so I can enjoy my games better. And every now and then I get surprised by random information, like Desmond & Co talking about Daniel Craig like I was supposed to know him. My immediate reaction to that was "wait, what did I miss?";

That's just one example. It's tiring because it seems like you will never know everything regarding AC, so at one point, people might stop caring to run after everything. I have absolute no patience to Initiates and it's already bothering me how much of the universe I am missing.

So, yeah. There are means to find out, but it's not what I wanted from AC. I just wanted a game which could tell its own stories on its own.

I want to give this post a hug.

frodrigues55
03-19-2014, 02:48 AM
I want to give this post a hug.

Oh, thank you, It comes a lot coming from a LoyalACFan lol :p

But yeah. I became a fan of AC a bit too late, so by the time I decided to look for information regarding Daniel, those random bits about the AC universe were already piled up. I was surprised and overwhelmed by the ammount of things I didn't know, especially if you take into account everything the Encyclopedia presented.

I tried to read them, but it was just impossible, so I quit. The information was crossing over so many mediums, that I couldn't even understand things properly. So I decided to try and follow what I could. But even now that I consider myself more educated towards the franchise, I still can't get a hold on things. The other day people were talking about rumors that the next AC would follow Esosa's story.

Everyone was so familiar with him, so I asked who the hell Esosa was. Turns out they not only had a bio, but also a picture! I had just played Freedom Cry, followed every bit of information regarding AC4 since its announcement, and I still did not know Ade was murdered and had an Assassin grandson.

It's just frustrating and annoying. And it can be worse, to the point where the story is so convoluted that there's no proper way to fix it. The more information they release, the more it can get out of hand.

And they are releasing too much too fast.

mikeyf1999
03-19-2014, 04:37 PM

If it told its own story then there will still be questions that probably won't be answered in the sequel
Not to sound like a smart*** but you don't have to do all of that heck I don't use initiates you could just use the ac wiki to see if any things changed whenever you have free time and up to it
But I do see your point

frodrigues55
03-19-2014, 04:53 PM
If it told its own story then there will still be questions that probably won't be answered in the sequel

That is also known as "bad storytelling" ;)

Not to sound like a smart*** but you don't have to do all of that heck I don't use initiates you could just use the ac wiki to see if any things changed whenever you have free time and up to it
But I do see your point

Wiki is just a compilation of everything that is being spread around, it doesn't change the fact that there's too much information floating out there. That's where the problem lies even if there's a site dedicated to try and compile everything.It's still pretty much impossible to read and remember everything on Wiki if you didn't actually got in touch if the actual source of the information.

Hans684
03-19-2014, 05:54 PM

I do and it was said by the ComDevs working/leading Initiates in an Q&A with Access The Animus and they said Initiates had become a new core pillar, that's why this series will never sleep, becouse of Initiates. Funny you label the fans of at Initiates as H4r4c0r3 but I'm not part of it. Do want know how I stay informed of everything about this series? Access The Animus(Facebook) and the AC Wiki. Everything ends up at the Wiki at some point while ATA is like a news channel for AC(leaks, theories, cut content, news... You name it). It's as hard as you make it, you don't need to play(Spin Offs) nor buy any other AC media(comics etc..) this way.