PDA

View Full Version : Minor AC3 Narrative Error (Minor AC3 & Forsaken SPOILERS)

HotShotAice
03-16-2014, 05:26 AM
(Read second paragraph to cut to the chase)

I just finished beating Assassin's Creed 4 a few days ago and Freedom Cry today. Normally after beating each game and going through alot of the information in the ingame database I'll look a few things on the unnoficial wikia. I went through some of Haytham's backstory and looked up information about Edwards exploits after he returned to england. So after reading through I had an interest in playing AC3 again.

While looking thorugh some of the information about Haytham and his missions while with the Templars I came across an Assassin by the name of Miko. Now most people might not be familiar with Miko but he's the man Haytham kills at the theater during the beggining of AC3. What I find strange is that right before Haytham kills Miko at the theater, thier conversation goes like this:

Miko: "You should have come to me. We would have found another way."

Haytham: "Yes. But then you would have known."

[Haytham leans forward]

Haytham: "For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

Miko: "As am I".

Now I might have missed something because I haven't read the book Forsaken, but in the wiki it never mentions either of these men being associates. Haytham, already a Templar, was assinged to kidnap Lucio in 1753 but he was being guarded by Miko, an Assassin. Haytham is able to defeat Miko the him but what I can only explain as Haytham following the decision he made years earlier that involved a mugger, spared his life, but promised that if they met each other again that one of them would die.

Now with a statement like that what are you supposed to conclude from the conversation at the theater? That they were friends at one point or another right? But that's not how it played it out. When Miko says "We could have found another way" it not only sounds like they were personal friends and is awe struck that Haymtham is there but it also sounds like he would have given the Amulet to Haytham in exchange for his life, which in turn, would putting the Assassin's at risk.

I don't know if this was supposed to give the illusion that both of these men were friends so that it would make Haythams reveal in Boston more revelating but after reading up about Miko, what they said in the theater doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

poptartz20
03-16-2014, 08:02 AM
I've honestly always wondered about this myself. It didn't come off quite clear in the book either. it says:

--"I reached and took the amulet from his neck-- and did I sense a feeling of relief? As though he were grateful to relinquish responsibility, pleased no longer to be its custodian?"

that's when the rest of the dialogue cuts back to what you know in the game. So perhaps... Miko didn't want to die for keeping the amulet? or perhaps didn't agree with something that the Assassins were doing at the time?

That and how did Haytham get rid of the other Assassins are the only main questions I have left about AC3. That the book didn't cover.

HotShotAice
03-16-2014, 08:39 AM
I've honestly always wondered about this myself. It didn't come off quite clear in the book either. it says:

--"I reached and took the amulet from his neck-- and did I sense a feeling of relief? As though he were grateful to relinquish responsibility, pleased no longer to be its custodian?"

that's when the rest of the dialogue cuts back to what you know in the game. So perhaps... Miko didn't want to die for keeping the amulet? or perhaps didn't agree with something that the Assassins were doing at the time?

That and how did Haytham get rid of the other Assassins are the only main questions I have left about AC3. That the book didn't cover.

You see, neither the book nor the game really gives you any detail about why the conversation came out that way. But I think that was a really good point about Miko not seeing things the was the Assassin's saw things. The only unfortunate thing about that is that it's not stated anywhere.

Before I finished the thread I thought maybe they became friends, but then I remebered Haytham's words to him after he let him live in 1753. And if they did somehow become friends, why isn't it mentioned? If they did become friends I'm sure Haytham would have written it in his journal.

Maybe Ubisoft'll dig more into both Haytham and Miko's past with future releases, or maybe there will be tidbits about them when they start creating smaller projects like the Facebook app they made a few years back, which I think went into detail about how Mario Auditore recieved his scar.

It's not 100% important and I'm sure most of the staff will look at it as an oversight and let fans piece it together, but it would be good to know if there was more history between the two.

and good point about the Assassin Purge in Colonial America, I don't think they went into really great detail about that either.

I-Like-Pie45
03-16-2014, 03:43 PM

he asked them politely to stop assassinating in exchange for a lifetime supply of tea and crumpets

avk111
03-16-2014, 04:07 PM
My information about the relationship between Miko and Haytham is very vague, I read the book once.

Haytham was chasing Miko (or was it the other way around) and eventually someone fell leaving Miko's handblade , thats where Haytham took it for the first time :)

guardian_titan
03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Haytham met Miko when he was the guardian of a boy (named Lucio) Haytham needed to get a woman named Monica Reginald Birch had captive to translate a book he had. Lucio was Monica's son. While Haytham was trying to get away after kidnapping the boy, Miko and Haytham got into a scuffle on a cliff. Haytham lost the short sword Edward gave him when he was a boy and got Miko in a position that let him steal Miko's hidden blade. Haytham then got away with Lucio. The two really didn't see each other again until the opera.

Perhaps there was more to their relationship that was just not written, but Haytham did eventually go on to save Lucio and Monica from Reginald long after Miko's death ... only for Lucio to stab him nearly killing him and giving him a side injury much like what Edward had and what Connor's eluded to have at the end of AC3.

Page 181-184 in the English edition of the book is the scuffle on the cliff with Miko.
Page 346-347 in the English edition of the book is when Lucio stabs Haytham. In the pages prior is Jenny's rescue and when Reginald dies. Shows how feisty Jenny can be.

I think Miko saw Haytham as a lost chick and possibly even knew Edward in his final years. Possible Miko was trying to play into Haytham's sympathy to get him to change sides. He likely knew Edward was swayable so figured Haytham was his father's son.

Other way you can take it is that it was just a cut plot point that was intended to be expanded upon but it was cut for time, slowed down the plot too much, just didn't fit, etc. LOT of stuff ends up cut for one reason or another. The decimation of the colonial assassins seems to have been a rather large plot point that's only eluded to.

If you like AC3 or at least Haytham, Forsaken is a good read. Most libraries should have it, and if not, they can often order them in for you.

poptartz20
03-16-2014, 06:01 PM
he asked them politely to stop assassinating in exchange for a lifetime supply of tea and crumpets

That... that is so legit.

I-Like-Pie45
03-16-2014, 07:07 PM
That... that is so legit.

I bet that if Haytham had just politely sat down with his son and bonded with him over cookies and milk the two would've forged permanent peace between Assassin and Templar

but I guess that the years weren't kind to Haytham :(