PDA

View Full Version : New interview - Ismail talks about naval on ACV and plans for PS3/X360

frodrigues55
03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
IGN just posted 2 interviews with Ashraf, taken last night on the BAFTA Awards. He straight out said he won't reveal anything about the next game lol, but I thought people might be interested on it.

About naval and ACV, he says they don't create games around mechanics. They start with the setting and develop the mechanics around it. So ACV may or may not have navals, but it's not something they will push if it doesn't make sense:

There you go:

Naval battles may not necessarily appear in Assassin's Creed V, despite the warm reception the feature received in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Speaking to IGN at last night's BAFTA Game Awards 2014, Black Flag game director Ashraf Ismail explained that the gameplay features were dictated by the time period the development team are keen to explore, not the other way around.

"With Assassinís Creed we always say that history is our playground," he explained. "When we chose the pirate setting, obviously it meant naval battles had to be a core element of the game. The questions are always about what time periods we go into, but thatís a decision based on whether these time periods are interesting for fans, interesting for us as developers, and what itíd mean for the game mechanics.

"We donít bind ourselves to game mechanics, but we really look at what is interesting historically speaking, and what game mechanics that naturally brings up. Hopefully then, the fans love and enjoy it. Weíre here to enjoy the BAFTAs so I canít really talk about the future of the brand or where itís going, I wonít even acknowledge that a game is in the works!

"So I donít want to talk about whatís the future for naval and all this, but I love that people loved it in Black Flag. It was a risk for us to make it part of the core of an Assassinís game, but people really took to it and loved it, which is really gratifying for us. As I said though, whatever period in time we choose? Thatís what dictates the kind of mechanics we put in the game, not the other way around."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/should-we-expect-naval-battles-in-assassins-creed-5

He doesn't aknowledge the rumors about 2 different ACs for this year, but does say that PS3 and X360 will not be without a game.

Ubisoft has clarified confusing statements regarding whether or not it's planned the end of the Assassin's Creed series, and also hinted there are no plans to abandon PS3 and Xbox 360 players in the near future.

Last year, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag game director Ashraf Ismail suggested that an overarching narrative had been planned out for the series, in which individual games would slot. Earlier this year, however, this was contradicted by another Ubisoft employee. At last night's BAFTA Game Awards 2014, we tracked down Ismail to get to the source of the confusion once and for all.

"Yeah... that was my bad," he laughed. "What I was trying to say is that there is this meta-arc in the brand, in the franchise. We know what we want to do with the franchise, thatís what I meant by it, that we know where we want the metastory to head. Now, how many games fit into that and how that plays out is still to be determined by the dev teams themselves.

"There are multiple dev teams working on AC, each team is responsible for their own game. There are people working on the brand level that try to make sure things fit together nicely, but thereís no master plan. Iím not here to say in five years, yep, thatíll be the end. Not at all. But we do know where we want the brand to go and what kind of metastory we want to tell. I hope that gives you a better answer."

Following this, Ismail talked about whether we should expect Assassin's Creed V to appear on PS3 and Xbox 360, or just focus on the newer consoles. Reports surfaced at the tail-end of last year we may actually see two different Assassin's Creed games out this year; one targeting PS4 and Xbox One, the other doing the same for older consoles. While he didn't confirm anything, his response suggested current gen console owners should expect an Assassin's Creed fix at some stage this year.

"I think Ubisoft as a company has already said that thereís a huge pool of players on Xbox 360 and PS3, so of course weíll continue to support them," he said. "How is up to each team to figure out on their own. For sure though, with Assassinís Creed we canít let hundreds of millions of players that own older consoles miss out on AC. So for sure, we love the next-gen consoles and seeing how far we can push the content but we have to see how we also cater to our fans that have the Xbox 360 or PS3."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/ubisoft-clarifies-assassins-creed-ending-confusion

Sushiglutton
03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
So Ash is human after all. After his flawless job on AC4 I was beginning to wonder. What he said in this interview doesn't make much sense though :p. First off they have said before that they knew naval in AC3 was gonna be good which inspired the pirate setting. Secondly that it's up to each team to choose how to support X360/Ps3 is a weird statement. Either you support them or you don't. I would alos be suprised if Yves didn't have a saying on the matter. Whatever...

jayjay275
03-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Does this mean Ash will work on ACV? :P

True_Assassin92
03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Something I noticed, is that IGN didn't ask anything about an ACV announcement whilst most people want to know something about that. I think this means that they already know about an ACV announcement and press release...which will be very soon I guess then.

Templar_Az
03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Im glad he said that the mechanics dont dictate the game but rather the setting; because I loved naval battles in AC:IV but I thought that since people loved it so much Ubisoft were gonna throw in Naval in every next AC game even if the time period wasnt known for Naval; lets just hope what he said was true...

Dome500
03-13-2014, 08:44 PM
First off they have said before that they knew naval in AC3 was gonna be good which inspired the pirate setting.

Which - if you think about it - can't be true.

Here is why I think that the naval in AC3 was NOT the decision that made a pirate setting for AC4 possible:

Production on AC4 started 2 years before AC3 was finished (one year after production of AC3 started). Therefore they absolutely HAD to have the naval/pirate setting BEFORE they knew how popular AC3's naval combat was.

Farlander1991
03-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Which - if you think about it - can't be true.

Here is why I think that the naval in AC3 was NOT the decision that made a pirate setting for AC4 possible:

Production on AC4 started 2 years before AC3 was finished (one year after production of AC3 started). Therefore they absolutely HAD to have the naval/pirate setting BEFORE they knew how popular AC3's naval combat was.

They saw how naval was coming along and believed themselves that it's going to be very good. That's what you do in game development - leaps of faith :D They never could say for sure that the naval part would become really popular, but they felt themselves that it was good and worthy of development and that it would pay off.

Dome500
03-13-2014, 11:20 PM
They saw how naval was coming along and believed themselves that it's going to be very good. That's what you do in game development - leaps of faith :D They never could say for sure that the naval part would become really popular, but they felt themselves that it was good and worthy of development and that it would pay off.

Yeah, that's possible.