PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft - You guys made the hoods iconic ... now please stop screwing with them?

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 03:41 AM
I know I'm not alone when I say that the "hood makes the assassin" just as much as anything else. It is functional (in a sense) and also serves as a factor of intimidation. The health bar icon and world map icons all depict your character with a hood ... this is just what we have come to expect from our assassins' attire. Why then, have you guys suddenly developed a habit of forcing us out of it?

It started with AC3, near the end-game, when Connor went all "battle preparation" mode for the last confrontation. He put the hood down, and no matter what we did, we could NEVER put it back up again ... terrible idea.

Then you move on to AC4, now I can understand Edward not wearing the hood while piloting the Jackdaw, but the only time he ever wears it on land (minus the bugs where he just forgets to take it off) is inside of restricted areas.

Then we've got several armor sets in game that don't even HAVE a hood. The Templar Armor (which wasn't even the same blasted color once you put it on, as it was when it was hanging up), and the Mayan Armor. That Mayan set looked absolutely amazing ... It would have been epic awesomeness if it had a hood ... but as soon as I realized it didn't, i ditched it, never to be dragged out of my closet again.

So can we please start thiniking about the idea of making the donning/dropping of the hood a feature that can be toggled, at the very least? If you're gonna make something as iconic as that, and then force us out of it, at least give us the option to put it back on ... whenever we want, wherever we want ... not just restricted areas, please.

Also, let's review some of the other armors in AC4:

Hunter Outfit - raggedy looking garbage
Whaler Outfit - raggedy looking HOODLESS garbage
"Edward The Legend" Outfit - Just. No.

Yes, I know the art team likes to play around with cultural and period-based accuracy ... but sometimes it just sucks. Please learn to realize when something is just hideous, and should be excluded. An assassin is supposed to possess that "X-Factot" combination of style, intimidation and just ... swag. Ezio was the last one to really have it all in one package, imo.

Just some thoughts, I know not everyone will agree, but there it is.

Fatal-Feit
03-13-2014, 03:58 AM
Regarding the armor review for AC:IV, that's really unnecessary because it's a matter of opinion. For me, the ''Edward the Legend'' outfit was one of best ones to date. In fact, in my opinion, the only good robe for Ezio was his traveling robe(Revelations) because it wasn't too eccentric or Power Rangers-like. Most of AC:3 and AC:IV contains my favorite too.

As for the iconic hood, I'm hoping for more of something like Edward's with more details, or Altair's and Ezio's from AC:2/Revelations. I'm not a fan of the ones in AC:3, and especially AC:B. The beak just feels too forced or overdone. But if I had it my way, I wouldn't make the hoodies a priority either. I'm a fan of Aveline's garb and Haytham makes rocking no hood seems genuinely cool.

[edit] Also, having no hoodies does allow the designers to have more freedom and ideas. In AC:3, I thought Achilles's robe was pretty cool but the hood ruined it.

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Regarding the armor review for AC:IV, that's really unnecessary because it's a matter of opinion. For me, the ''Edward the Legend'' outfit was one of best ones to date. In fact, in my opinion, the only good robe for Ezio was his traveling robe(Revelations) because it wasn't too eccentric or Power Rangers-like. Most of AC:3 and AC:IV contains my favorite too.

As for the iconic hood, I'm hoping for more of something like Edward's with more details, or Altair's and Ezio's from AC:2/Revelations. I'm not a fan of the ones in AC:3, and especially AC:B. The beak just feels too forced or overdone. But if I had it my way, I wouldn't make the hoodies a priority either. I'm a fan of Aveline's garb and Haytham makes rocking no hood seems genuinely cool.

Well, let's face it, most of what people post regarding game content *are* simply opinions. But I didn't specifically point those observations out as opinions, so I'll take the hit for that.

My opinion is: Hunter, Whaler and Legend outfits ... They look terrible, from top to bottom. Templar and Mayan armor would be cool, but they were stripped of the iconic hood (which might almost be tolerable in the case of the Mayan outfit, if Edward didn't still perform the "pulling my hood up" action in both game situations, and cutscenes, only to have nothing actually happen) ... there, fixed :P

And if you don't care for hoods, then that's your right. The problem is, that Ubisoft MADE them the most iconic part of the assassins' attire, (Sofia even remarked on the hoods, to Ezio, near the end of Revelations) Every trailer, every piece of fan art, every piece of concept art, posters, artistic screenshots ... they're ALWAYS wearing them.

If they're going to make us take them on and off, I'm honestly ok with that ... my only gripe is that they never give us the option, they never let us CHOOSE when we can take them off, or slip them back on ... it's a minor, inconsequential thing to many people, I know ... but I'd still like to see it become something that can be toggled :D

mikeyf1999
03-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Well, let's face it, most of what people post regarding game content *are* simply opinions. But I didn't specifically point those observations out as opinions, so I'll take the hit for that.

My opinion is: Hunter, Whaler and Legend outfits ... They look terrible, from top to bottom. Templar and Mayan armor would be cool, but they were stripped of the iconic hood (which might almost be tolerable in the case of the Mayan outfit, if Edward didn't still perform the "pulling my hood up" action in both game situations, and cutscenes, only to have nothing actually happen) ... there, fixed :P

And if you don't care for hoods, then that's your right. The problem is, that Ubisoft MADE them the most iconic part of the assassins' attire, (Sofia even remarked on the hoods, to Ezio, near the end of Revelations) Every trailer, every piece of fan art, every piece of concept art, posters, artistic screenshots ... they're ALWAYS wearing them.

If they're going to make us take them on and off, I'm honestly ok with that ... my only gripe is that they never give us the option, they never let us CHOOSE when we can take them off, or slip them back on ... it's a minor, inconsequential thing to many people, I know ... but I'd still like to see it become something that can be toggled :D

I thought the most iconic was the hidden blade

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 04:23 AM

They are just as iconic ... but I was speaking on the hoods as the most iconic aspect of assassin attire ... the hidden blades classify as armament, not clothing :P

Fatal-Feit
03-13-2014, 04:35 AM

However Ubisoft is also open to change and innovation. The hood is still there, it's just slowly becoming less relevant. Take it as you will, though. I can swallow not having it. There's always more than one way to design an iconic Assassin.

Well if they did that, then they'll have to start developing a toggle animation for hats and helmets too, won't they, lol? The gripe is understandable of course.

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Well if they did that, then they'll have to start developing a toggle animation for hats and helmets too, won't they, lol? The gripe is understandable of course.

True, but I'd be ok with that. And granted, I'm not a programmer, but considering all of the other things the development team is capable of ... having a toggle ability for head gear doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Maybe it's gimmicky to some, but it's something I'm still hoping for one day :)

RinoTheBouncer
03-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I’m actually happy that he takes off the hood sometimes. It makes no sense that he wears the hood on his own land, The Great Inagua nor that he does that where there’s no danger. Assassins are people too. They don’t need to be hiding the whole time and also wearing the hood the entire time will make you some sort of a suspect, am I wrong? I mean I guess that’s how things are in reality.

I’m ok with giving us the option of taking it on and off in the future, but I was quite happy with Edward. I hope we get more outfits though, outfits with more effects on the gameplay, kinda something similar to AC:Liberation.

travilanche
03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
I agree with some of what you are saying...but that Edward the legend outfit is fuggin sweet!

Also templars Dont wear hoods, except for the former assassin from brotherhood.

I do agree though that I hate that Edward is constantly pulling his hood down.

frodrigues55
03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
As long as the main outfitt has the hood, I'm fine with them removing it for the extra ones.

The reason why I hate Aveline's design is because she doesn't look like an Assassin at all. The Assassin-like outfitt is an extra and that blue crap she wears with a hat is the main one - wtf.

I'm also fine with putting the hood on only for missions/restricted areas, it makes more sense. It's a shame it was a big buggy on AC4 though, a toggle option would be nice.

Dome500
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Basically yes.

Yes, I want to be able to toggle the hood on/off. It is a feature I actually ask for since ACR.

Then we've got several armor sets in game that don't even HAVE a hood

Agreed, outfits and Armors should always have a hood. Maybe they could do it in a way that if you equip an armor which normally has no hood your hood is off, but the protagonist can reach for it at his back and put it back on, some kind of attacked hood.
Or let us equip/unequip hoods in the outfit menu.
Armors completely without hoods and without an option to add them are just lame.

But I liked the outfit diversity of AC4.

The only thing I missed was dying clothes. Would be cool to have BOTH, outfits AND the ability to change their colors.

mou119
03-13-2014, 10:51 PM
To me the 'beak' is even more important than the hood. When the first AC games came out and I didn't know much about them, I thought the beaked hoods looked a bit strange, but now they are a symbol of Assassin's Creed and I still don't understand why the assassins in ACIV don't have a beak or even a hint of a beak on their clothing (ACIII takes place later on and they still had beaks on that one). Maybe they are trying to tell us that none of the assassins in ACIV are "real" assassins? There is even a part in Freedom Cry where Bastienne says Adéwalé wears "the hood of an assassin" when he doesn't. He wears a normal hood.

Why not respect such an iconic element of the series? When you see a beaked hood, the first thing you think of is "Assassin's Creed", but a "normal" hood can be associated with many other videogame franchises.

Farlander1991
03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Maybe they are trying to tell us that none of the assassins in ACIV are "real" assassins?

What does that make of AC2 assassins of which the only one who's got a hood is La Volpe? That was without a beak, btw? Or all the recruits in ACB and ACR who don't have a beak in their attire?

The hood is definitely iconic, as well as the beak, but I think people are putting WAY too much significance in both of them.

GunnerGalactico
03-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Why not respect such an iconic element of the series? When you see a beaked hood, the first thing you think of is "Assassin's Creed", but a "normal" hood can be associated with many other videogame franchises.

In some ways, the "beaked hood" has become a signature trademark of the AC. It also gives the outfit character IMO. But I don't think having a "beaked hood" or "normal hood" really makes much of a difference. In AC3 Liberation, Aveline is the only Assassin whose primary Assassin outfit does not have hood, it has a hat instead. However, you can purchase an outfit with the hood in the game.

no_one_o1
03-13-2014, 11:05 PM
I’m actually happy that he takes off the hood sometimes. It makes no sense that he wears the hood on his own land, The Great Inagua nor that he does that where there’s no danger. Assassins are people too. They don’t need to be hiding the whole time and also wearing the hood the entire time will make you some sort of a suspect, am I wrong? I mean I guess that’s how things are in reality.

I’m ok with giving us the option of taking it on and off in the future, but I was quite happy with Edward. I hope we get more outfits though, outfits with more effects on the gameplay, kinda something similar to AC:Liberation.

What he said. Plus, I like to actually see the face of the character I'm playing, so I was quite happy when Edward put the hood down. It alse helped with the emersion for the reasons RinoTheBouncer listed. When you don't need to hide, you pbbly won't go with the hood on. Besides it narrows your field of view.
And I was glad that some outfits didn't have a hood.
I guess the best solution would be to give the player a toggle option. Everyone'd be happy :)

mou119
03-13-2014, 11:16 PM
What does that make of AC2 assassins of which the only one who's got a hood is La Volpe? That was without a beak, btw? Or all the recruits in ACB and ACR who don't have a beak in their attire?

The hood is definitely iconic, as well as the beak, but I think people are putting WAY too much significance in both of them.

Ok, I did exaggerate, but I really think at least Edward and Adéwalé should have had beaked hoods, or at least one outfit with a beak...

Megas_Doux
03-14-2014, 01:31 AM
Meh!!!!

I dont mind whether the hood is beaked or not, in fact I kinda liked that of Edward´s robes. May be is only me, but I also want the "white robes or die" trend to stop, Edward´s pirate captain and privateer look great!. The supposedly leaked poster of the "assassin" having a black outfit as the main one would be a welcomed change. Hey, even Ezio in his ebony dye back in AC II and Shao Jun in Embers.

PD I forgot Ezio´s default robes in ACR, which are great too!

JCH33T-
03-14-2014, 01:54 AM
I think the hood always has to be there. It is iconic to the franchise, as is the beak, i think the hood itself is more iconic than the beak on the hood. It doesn't bother me whether there is a beak on the hood or not. I like all of the assassin's. Even though Edward's hood was more open compared to say, Altair's, and there was also no beak on his hood, to me it felt no different. To get rid of the hood would be a bad move. I think the option to have it up or down is the best way to go, then people who like it down can put it down if they want to.

souNdwAve89
03-14-2014, 06:54 AM
I am neutral when it comes to the hood. I am fine if future characters don't have a hood or they have one, but no beak. The beak makes sense for some characters since their name is related to a bird. Connor's beak was shaped like a wolf, I believe, since it relates to his predatory skills of growing up and even the eventual DLC. I like Edward's normal hood, and how he puts it on and off depending on the zone. I do wish we get an option in the future where you can manually do it.

D.I.D.
03-14-2014, 07:01 AM
I wish they'd ditch all the Jedi stuff. I really don't like the hoods, or the robes. They were right for the first character, but they were totally the wrong thing for a Renaissance setting (and really everywhere else we've seen after that). If you know much about the history of fashion, there are few time periods and settings in which these clothes would make the slightest bit of sense. If the clothes have to stay like this, it would mean you'd never see London, especially not Victorian London, since blending in while wearing a hood would be impossible (until the 1990s, anyway). Otherwise they'd have to make a Victorian man's/woman's suit with a hood or, God forbid, a bowler hat with a beak.

A lot of you are so stuck to these repetitions that you're not seeing what the game could free you up to do and see if it was liberated of them. We should be walking in the shoes of a person in the day of the setting, but we never are because it's (almost) always some anachronistic costume shackled to a particular silhouette that you thought looked good once, and you all want to see that same daft weapon-coated Ninja Turtle every autumn. It's like being Doctor Who rather than being an inhabitant of the times. I'd love to see Ubisoft employing a skilled character designer and fashion historian such as Claire Hummel, who designed many of the main characters for Bioshock Infinite.

AC Liberation was a step in the right direction though. I quite liked the Templar set in AC4 too, although it was ridiculously chunky.

CorfmanArtz
03-14-2014, 08:48 AM
As we come closer to modern times (and presumably Templars have more power) The assassins' outfits would have to be less and less conspicuous. Yes Connor dons a stark assassin outfit that sticks out everywhere, but he is in the middle of a major war, everyone has uniforms. Aveline would be less likely to be suspected of being an assassin in her normal garb than traditional robes. It's about survival, slowly returning to the shadows just as Altiar had began as Mentor, until we come to modern day, where assassins dress completely normal, maybe with a hoodie like desmond being all thats left of the former uniform. Also as Edward is not the strictest assassin, why would he worry about the hood? He's to busy plundering and causing mayhem. In my own experience, in brotherhood I preferred playing in Florentine attire because as badass as the assassin robes look, it broke the suspension of disbelief that a man can run around the city like that killing guards left and right and not be immediatly spotted being the only person wearing heavy armor and bright white (I know you can dye them) robes like he's going to a ceremony.

shobhit7777777
03-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Hoods don't bother me that much honestly...they somehow seem plausible inspite of not really being so...it helps that some AC worlds are populated by hooded and robed NPCs.

Its the armour and the blatant display of weapons that grinds my gears
Apart from that most of the Assassin character designs were plausible

If you remove the armour completely, they look much better. Altair's design was the most functional and better fit with the idea of social stealth. Ezio's robes in AC2 stood out like anything....but the cover the cape provided was appreciated. Brotherhood managed to both make it awesome and crappy at the same time - the overall robes coupled with the cape fit in nice...especially when Ezio draped the cape over his arm and hid is gauntlet/weapons...but then shat on the design due to the horrendous armour and the bow which was glued to your back..instead of the hip where it could have been hidden by the cape

So far, ACR Ezio robes are my favourite - they look fantastic, the colours are gorgeous and it has a nice weathered look that suits a man of Ezio's age and stature. Ezio looked like a wealthy merchant. Apart from that the robes actually fit in beautifully within Istanbul's dusty, colourful world.
It was only in ACR and AC1 that I felt like a blade in the crowd

AC4 does have fantastic sleek robes...with the Governer's outfit being my favourite...up there with the ACR robes.

Kagurra
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
If it makes you feel any better (or worse because you missed out), there's a glitch to have your hood up at all times, even while captaining the ship. You just use the fast travel method to get it up in the first place, and go on to your ship. As soon as you climb aboard and have access to your controls, pull out your swords. This causes the glitch that makes the hood shoot right back on Edward's head right after it magically slides down without him touching it. (because you are pulling out the swords)

Boom.

But on a thematic note, I agree. I would love the option to keep it up at all times without having to use glitches and what not.

Dome500
03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I personally think the robe with the hood is just awesome.

I agree that it is not 100% believable, but that is one of the many reasons why an ability to toggle the hood would be so awesome. You could personally evaluate the situation, combine it with your personal mood and decide if you want to put it on or pull it off.

The hood is not so bad IMO, and it's not like there are no outfits without a hood. It's been a trend for the last few games.

As for the Assassins robes in Renaissance Italy, I actually thought the robes looked the best with the armor, because Ezio seemed like a Mercenary that way.
The hood still had some use in everyday fashion and even if it wasn't believable, it was always plausible for the different protagonists to wear a hood.

The hood is not so bad IMO, because the devs are doing a good job to adjust the overall outfit of the protagonists in a way that it fits the time.
Also, different outfits and colors help making it more immersive for the player personally.

An option to toggle the hood would be the last step to make this more believable while keeping the cool and badass looking signature robes with hood.

menumaxibestof
03-14-2014, 03:04 PM
It started with AC3, near the end-game, when Connor went all "battle preparation" mode for the last confrontation. He put the hood down, and no matter what we did, we could NEVER put it back up again ... terrible idea.

Well, considering AC3 had the best use of the hood in a narrative way, that wasn't a terrible idea at all. No, that was genius, really. I really felt bad for Corey May when I saw all those fans crying for the return of the hood at the end of the game just because they didn't understand anything to the mise en scène...

Then you move on to AC4, now I can understand Edward not wearing the hood while piloting the Jackdaw, but the only time he ever wears it on land (minus the bugs where he just forgets to take it off) is inside of restricted areas.

So basically, what you're saying is that using the hood as an inherent part of the gameplay (indicating the player that he is in a dangerous zone) was a mistake. Hum...

Dome500
03-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Well, considering AC3 had the best use of the hood in a narrative way, that wasn't a terrible idea at all. No, that was genius, really. I really felt bad for Corey May when I saw all those fans crying for the return of the hood at the end of the game just because they didn't understand anything to the mise en scène...

So basically, what you're saying is that using the hood as an inherent part of the gameplay (indicating the player that he is in a dangerous zone) was a mistake. Hum...

No, basically this is what he (or we) is (are) saying:

The hood is iconic, we want to be able to toggle to hood ourselves and decide ourselves when to wear it.
We do not mind that the protagonist automatically puts on the hood when entering a restricted area as long as we can pull it off again. But then again, we already have a mini-map with a BIG FAT red zone in it to indicate that we are in a dangerous zone/situation, and we get a prompt telling us that we enter a restricted area every time. So I think it's unnecessary to "indicate" that we are in danger by putting on the hood.

And yes, I get the message in AC3, but if a person wants to have fun after the main campaign he should be able to put on the hood if he wants to. I don't mind if "hood off" is the default in the end of AC3, I really don't mind. But we have been asking for an option to toggle the hood for a long time now.

And concerning outfits without hood: Like I said I don't mind them, even if I would actually prefer if we could attach/add a hood to that outfit if we wanted in the Outfit menu.

menumaxibestof
03-14-2014, 06:42 PM
The hood is iconic, we want to be able to toggle to hood ourselves and decide ourselves when to wear it.
We do not mind that the protagonist automatically puts on the hood when entering a restricted area as long as we can pull it off again. But then again, we already have a mini-map with a BIG FAT red zone in it to indicate that we are in a dangerous zone/situation, and we get a prompt telling us that we enter a restricted area every time. So I think it's unnecessary to "indicate" that we are in danger by putting on the hood.

Here, developers found a way to indicate things to the players through the game itself. Those kind of improvements should be encouraged. Because that means that the red indication on the mini-map and the prompt that appears every time should be taken off, they became useless.

Sure you could have a option to toggle the hood. But that has to be done in order to provide a meaning.

oliacr
03-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Enough said.

Dome500
03-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Sure you could have a option to toggle the hood. But that has to be done in order to provide a meaning.

I see a pretty simple solution: Make an optional hood for every outfit, even if it's just a simple white hood without beak for some outfits, hell, better yet make the hood an additional equipment part one can equip/unequip and change color of independently from the outfit, aside from the "main outfit" of course (and idea I had years ago). Furthermore continue to let the character put up/down his hood in situations of danger and stealth (restricted areas, etc), but give us the option to toggle the hood any time. So if I go in a danger zone my Assassins pulls up his hood, but if you want you can pull it down again.

As for the restricted areas + map, etc. I agree that conveying a situation THROUGH the actual game should be encouraged, and I also think HUD/UI options (on/off) should be in the future games, since you actually do not need a mini-map at all.
Also, aside from the hood on/off the Assassin does himself in special situations danger can also be conveyed through music and subtle sounds (like the one that appears when you enter a forbidden area). I think we have enough stuff to be not helpless without a map, IF we want to (toggle on/off in options, like in Splinter Cell Blacklist's UI options or Thief's UI options(not talking about difficulty options, only about User Interface/HUD options))

rprkjj
03-14-2014, 07:42 PM
It would be cool if they gave the hood toggle a spot on the equipment cross, like the treasure maps. Best way to do it in my opinion.

mou119
03-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Otherwise they'd have to make a Victorian man's/woman's suit with a hood or, God forbid, a bowler hat with a beak.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/29zpvy9.jpg

rprkjj
03-14-2014, 09:01 PM

That's too good. XD

LieutenantRex
03-15-2014, 01:40 AM

No offense, but the hidden blade lost its novelty after AC3 was released. It's just a dagger now.

pirate1802
03-15-2014, 09:22 AM
No offense, but the hidden blade lost its novelty after AC3 was released. It's just a dagger now.

I'd say it lost its novelty in AC2 when it effectively became just another short sword/dagger type weapon to hack your enemies with.

Ontopic, it doesn't bother me. I'd be more bothered to see a character in hood in situations totally unsuitable for a hood (AC3 for example) than seeing him in a non-hooded but blending clothes. Someone on these boards said it perfectly: These days they seem to be taking the standard assassin outfit and tweaking it to fit the era when they should be doing it the other way around (taking a comon outfit of an era and tweaking it to seem assassin-y). That said I liked the AC4 attire a lot and felt he could easily blend it with passers by.

AC Liberation was a step in the right direction though. I quite liked the Templar set in AC4 too, although it was ridiculously chunky.

May be is only me, but I also want the "white robes or die" trend to stop, Edward´s pirate captain and privateer look great!. The supposedly leaked poster of the "assassin" having a black outfit as the main one would be a welcomed change. Hey, even Ezio in his ebony dye back in AC II and Shao Jun in Embers.
I forgot Ezio´s default robes in ACR, which are great too!

Completely agreed with these.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
So I'm a fan of the white robes, beaked hood (or even just A hood), and red sash look. To me, THAT'S AC. It's just an artistic/visual motif for the series IMO and not indicative of what they may actually wear though I do tend to believe that they still will occasionally wear them. I mean, if you look at modern day Assassin attire with Desmond, it's essentially a modern take on the classic Assassin outfit and it doesn't even look out of place even with the red belt.

I completely understand why people may not like it though. I mean, had Ubisoft not started the trend of making it an icon of the series, I wouldn't be bothered by it. If Ezio had worn different clothing, so be it. I wouldn't have been upset. That said, it is disappointing not to see it since they decided with the sequel that it was "the look."

But it's a sandbox game. It should act like one. I mean heck, GTA V let's you customize the 3 main characters' looks from facial hair to hair to clothing, you can completely create your own character in Saints Row, Wei Shen can wear a variety of shirts, jackets, suits, pants, shorts, or go in his underwear while barefoot in Sleeping Dogs. It honestly baffles me as to how AC has existed now for 6 main games and a 7th handheld-recently-turned-HD-remake and hasn't expanded way more on a number of things, one of which is the customization.

I mean heck, back when armor was still a thing in the games, they never ONCE bothered to let us unequip the armor if we didn't want it. We had to find glitches that would enable that. That's absurd. Okay so they added dyes in AC2 and kept that going in ACB and ACR. Then it got downgraded in AC3. Instead of having a vast array of dying options PLUS other outfits (like his native outfit or Achilles' outfit), they give us a handful of dyes plus those other outfits. I honestly believed the dying system would be EXPANDED upon and not dumbed down. I mean, AC2 let us dye our robes/cap with sets of two colors. For instance Florentine Scarlet woul turn the outfit red and gold and alter the cape one way while Venecian Teal made it teal and white and altered the cap another way. Brotherhood updated the dying and allowed us to separately dye the cape. That was a cool step up. ACR went back to AC2 because, well, there was no cape to dye. Okay.. fine.

But I thought that the next logical step would be to let us dye the outfits however we want. So for instance, there'd be:

Primary Color: the color of the main portion of the outfit. The standard Primary is Assassin White for example.
Secondary Color: This is the secondary color. The standard Secondary is typically some type of red.
Sash Color: This is the color of the sash. The standard Sash is typically some type of red.

Anyway... THAT'S what I want to see. An expansion of A. things to do in the game world like random events in Red Dead Redemption and B. More customization. Let's pretend AC4 had done what I want... this is how it would have been.

Outfits: We'd have Edward's default robes, the British Official outfit, the various Pirate outfits, the Templar Armor, the Mayan Armor, etc.
Default Outfit Customization: While we'd have access to those other outfits, we'd have a lot more customization options for the default outfit. While the British Official outfit could also be dyed to be red, yellow, blue, black, or white for example, I think most of the customization options should be for the default outfit. It'd obviously be even better if ALL outfits could be radically customized but I don't think it's 100% necessary considering they've barely entered into letting us customize the look of the protagonist.

Dyes: Change the coloring of the outfit's primary, secondary, and sash colors.
Armor: If it makes sense for the time, equip or unequip different types of armor from leather to metal at your villa/homestead.
Hoods: Select from a slew of different types of hood ranging from beaked hoods to non-beaked hoods, open and closed hoods (Altair has a closed hood if that makes sense), etc. The equipment menu should also have a thing for us to toggle the hood on or off so if we don't want him wearing the hood all the time or we DO want him wearing the hood all the time or we want him to wear it only on missions... then we can DO THAT.

mou119
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Someone on these boards said it perfectly: These days they seem to be taking the standard assassin outfit and tweaking it to fit the era when they should be doing it the other way around (taking a comon outfit of an era and tweaking it to seem assassin-y). That said I liked the AC4 attire a lot and felt he could easily blend it with passers by.

I think it would have been great if Edward had worn an assassin outfit similar to the brown robes of the monks. It would have worked perfectly...

oliacr
03-15-2014, 11:58 AM

looks cool just don't want it :) hood is better.

Dome500
03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
So I'm a fan of the white robes, beaked hood (or even just A hood), and red sash look. To me, THAT'S AC. It's just an artistic/visual motif for the series IMO and not indicative of what they may actually wear though I do tend to believe that they still will occasionally wear them. I mean, if you look at modern day Assassin attire with Desmond, it's essentially a modern take on the classic Assassin outfit and it doesn't even look out of place even with the red belt.

I completely understand why people may not like it though. I mean, had Ubisoft not started the trend of making it an icon of the series, I wouldn't be bothered by it. If Ezio had worn different clothing, so be it. I wouldn't have been upset. That said, it is disappointing not to see it since they decided with the sequel that it was "the look."

But it's a sandbox game. It should act like one. I mean heck, GTA V let's you customize the 3 main characters' looks from facial hair to hair to clothing, you can completely create your own character in Saints Row, Wei Shen can wear a variety of shirts, jackets, suits, pants, shorts, or go in his underwear while barefoot in Sleeping Dogs. It honestly baffles me as to how AC has existed now for 6 main games and a 7th handheld-recently-turned-HD-remake and hasn't expanded way more on a number of things, one of which is the customization.

I mean heck, back when armor was still a thing in the games, they never ONCE bothered to let us unequip the armor if we didn't want it. We had to find glitches that would enable that. That's absurd. Okay so they added dyes in AC2 and kept that going in ACB and ACR. Then it got downgraded in AC3. Instead of having a vast array of dying options PLUS other outfits (like his native outfit or Achilles' outfit), they give us a handful of dyes plus those other outfits. I honestly believed the dying system would be EXPANDED upon and not dumbed down. I mean, AC2 let us dye our robes/cap with sets of two colors. For instance Florentine Scarlet woul turn the outfit red and gold and alter the cape one way while Venecian Teal made it teal and white and altered the cap another way. Brotherhood updated the dying and allowed us to separately dye the cape. That was a cool step up. ACR went back to AC2 because, well, there was no cape to dye. Okay.. fine.

But I thought that the next logical step would be to let us dye the outfits however we want. So for instance, there'd be:

Primary Color: the color of the main portion of the outfit. The standard Primary is Assassin White for example.
Secondary Color: This is the secondary color. The standard Secondary is typically some type of red.
Sash Color: This is the color of the sash. The standard Sash is typically some type of red.

Anyway... THAT'S what I want to see. An expansion of A. things to do in the game world like random events in Red Dead Redemption and B. More customization. Let's pretend AC4 had done what I want... this is how it would have been.

Outfits: We'd have Edward's default robes, the British Official outfit, the various Pirate outfits, the Templar Armor, the Mayan Armor, etc.
Default Outfit Customization: While we'd have access to those other outfits, we'd have a lot more customization options for the default outfit. While the British Official outfit could also be dyed to be red, yellow, blue, black, or white for example, I think most of the customization options should be for the default outfit. It'd obviously be even better if ALL outfits could be radically customized but I don't think it's 100% necessary considering they've barely entered into letting us customize the look of the protagonist.

Dyes: Change the coloring of the outfit's primary, secondary, and sash colors.
Armor: If it makes sense for the time, equip or unequip different types of armor from leather to metal at your villa/homestead.
Hoods: Select from a slew of different types of hood ranging from beaked hoods to non-beaked hoods, open and closed hoods (Altair has a closed hood if that makes sense), etc. The equipment menu should also have a thing for us to toggle the hood on or off so if we don't want him wearing the hood all the time or we DO want him wearing the hood all the time or we want him to wear it only on missions... then we can DO THAT.

Basically this.

That's my dream.

1. The ability to dye the standard/default outfit of the Assassin in different colors (primary, secondary at least, maybe even stack)
2. The ability to dye other available outfits in different colors/color combinations (seriously outfits were a GREAT addition, combine it with the dying option, that way you get a lot of variety)
3. The ability to equip or unequip armor
4. The ability to equip or unequip a hood for most outfits in the outfit menu (including equipping an additional hood for outfits without a hood and unequiping (hiding) the hood for outfits which normal have a hood)
5. The ability to toggle the hood on or off on the fly (button/key press) (animation of protagonist pulling up or down the hood when)
6. Random events like in GTA, RDR and similar games

Make it happen Ubisoft. That would be a great addition and totally make sense for an open world sandbox game.

TO_M
03-15-2014, 10:37 PM
I
Hunter Outfit - raggedy looking garbage

I actually really like the hunter outfit, it's my standard outfit when playing ac4.

But I agree with you that hooded outfits (with a beak preferably) are the superior options.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-15-2014, 11:00 PM
I get where youre coming from...
Putting the hood up in restricted areas is hood status...
cops are around - up goes the hood.
Like its a natural instinct...
It made sense for edward because he didnt have notoriety...no one knew his face...
Compared to ezio...even connor had a little notoriety in the beginning, but towards the end he didnt...
Altair and Ezio both felt robbin hood esque... Connor did in the beinning but towards the end he became a town hero making it unnecessary for him to hide his face anymore (much like the beginning of ACB) Edward never felt robbin hood esque..he was just a greedy pirate around other greedy pirates (in the beginning) and just didnt care...
My only complaint is messing with the beak... The beak is AC more than the hood itself lol

pirate1802
03-16-2014, 04:51 AM
I liked the Hunter outfit as well. Especially its feline pelt variant. Totally awesome.

And Edwad not having a beak makes sense, because of the reasons STDMcStudoants wrote.

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
I liked the Hunter outfit as well. Especially its feline pelt variant. Totally awesome.

And Edwad not having a beak makes sense, because of the reasons STDMcStudoants wrote.

Agreed. :)

Anyways, if there's going to be a toggle button, how will that work with hats or helmets? They don't exactly attach to the back of the neck.

Dome500
03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Agreed. :)

Anyways, if there's going to be a toggle button, how will that work with hats or helmets? They don't exactly attach to the back of the neck.

Easy. He takes Hat/Helmet down and stashes it in his robes. I know it's a little bit unrealistic, but...
Although they could also make it so that you can equip/unequip the helmets and hats (of which there are not many btw.) in your outfit menu
Another option would be to NOT enable a toggle for helmets or hats.

Those 3 options would be the best and most obvious IMO.

poptartz20
03-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Umm.. I've always felt the assassin has always made the game along with the iconic hidden blade. Sure the robes and and hood were all just accessories to the game and to what the assassins use I mean take a look at Yusef and Desmond.

but to each their own of course.

Dome500
03-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Umm.. I've always felt the assassin has always made the game along with the iconic hidden blade. Sure the robes and and hood were all just accessories to the game and to what the assassins use I mean take a look at Yusef and Desmond.

but to each their own of course.

Yusef and Desmond both have outfits that are an interpretation of the traditional Assassin robes adjusted to their own time period. Yusef and Desmond also both had a hood, although they didn#t actively wear it.

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Easy. He takes Hat/Helmet down and stashes it in his robes. I know it's a little bit unrealistic, but...
Although they could also make it so that you can equip/unequip the helmets and hats (of which there are not many btw.) in your outfit menu
Another option would be to NOT enable a toggle for helmets or hats.

Those 3 options would be the best and most obvious IMO.

All of these options makes the toggle button seem rather pointless. And would probably lead into more backlashing threads like ''Ubisoft so lazy they don't make toggle animation for hats or helmets'' or ''Why can't we unequip helmets without having to use menu like the hoodies''

Dome500
03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
All of these options makes the toggle button seem rather pointless. And would probably lead into more backlashing threads like ''Ubisoft so lazy they don't make toggle animation for hats or helmets'' or ''Why can't we unequip helmets without having to use menu like the hoodies''

Seriously, do you really think Ubisoft cares a rats arse about what SUCH people are saying?

Also, no it does NOT make the hood toggle redundant because you can still toggle your hood then.

Fatal-Feit
03-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Seriously, do you really think Ubisoft cares a rats arse about what SUCH people are saying?

Also, no it does NOT make the hood toggle redundant because you can still toggle your hood then.

But what such people are saying is almost exact same thing people are saying now in this thread. So by my understanding, this topic of discussion is pointless, lol.

Anyway, it WOULD be redundant because it's only available for hoods. If you noticed, there's been an emphasis on varied clothing in the past few games. Incorporating a toggle button exclusive for hoods would only seem more of a waste in comparison. And not to mention, a good waste of a button on the already limited controllers. A better idea would be an option or hack that always enable hats/hoods on or off in the main menu as you said. And just that. No hoodie toggling.

Dome500
03-17-2014, 04:51 AM
Anyway, it WOULD be redundant because it's only available for hoods

Though 2 facts speak against this.

1. An element is only redundant when it is of no actual use or effect in the game or fails it's intended usage
2. The hoods are the most iconic headgear of an assassin and the one that is used most often by a majority of the outfits, making a toggle for hoods still useful

And not to mention, a good waste of a button on the already limited controllers.

I'm sure there is a way to include that without wasting a button. Maybe a combination which is not used yet (2 buttons at the same time).
I also want a crouch button. Maybe they can combine that. 3 states - Hood off/Hood on/Crouch. Maybe a bad idea...

A better idea would be an option or hack that always enable hats/hoods on or off in the main menu as you said. And just that. No hoodie toggling.

I wouldn't mind that either, as long as I can take it up or down somehow.

Fatal-Feit
03-17-2014, 05:22 AM

1. An element is only redundant when it is of no actual use or effect in the game or fails it's intended usage
2. The hoods are the most iconic headgear of an assassin and the one that is used most often by a majority of the outfits, making a toggle for hoods still useful.

You want to play facts? --- Redundant; not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous. Synonyms; Unnecessary, unneeded, and unessential

A cosmetic feature like hood toggling is both unnecessary and unneeded, thank you.

---------------------------------

2. That's still undermining the other variety of wears. If someone like me were to only use ''Edward the Legend'' or ''Captain Morgan'' outfits, then for the next dozens of hours, the hood toggle feature is at a waste.

I'm sure there is a way to include that without wasting a button. Maybe a combination which is not used yet (2 buttons at the same time).
I also want a crouch button. Maybe they can combine that. 3 states - Hood off/Hood on/Crouch. Maybe a bad idea...

The menu option would probably be less problematic for players. Especially since it's just a cosmetic thing.

Dome500
03-17-2014, 02:23 PM
A cosmetic feature like hood toggling is both unnecessary and unneeded, thank you.

Seems like I hit a spot here. Sorry if I stepped on your toes. But the above quoted it absolutely and 100% your opinion.

2. That's still undermining the other variety of wears. If someone like me were to only use ''Edward the Legend'' or ''Captain Morgan'' outfits, then for the next dozens of hours, the hood toggle feature is at a waste.

Sure, but in that case, aren't all other outfits, all dyes, all things that have anything to do with the other outfits and so on a waste?
If I only want to play main missions aren't all the other side missions and activities just redundant for me personally?

Seriously, that is a matter of interpretations. The toggle would be useful for a majority of players. No matter HOW it is done, if in menu, by button press or somehow else.

The menu option would probably be less problematic for players. Especially since it's just a cosmetic thing.

Agreed.

Fatal-Feit
03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Seems like I hit a spot here. Sorry if I stepped on your toes. But the above quoted it absolutely and 100% your opinion.

You didn't. I was getting at your level.

^^^^^
So no need to play that card every single time I attempt to give you extra attention. :p

Sure, but in that case, aren't all other outfits, all dyes, all things that have anything to do with the other outfits and so on a waste?
If I only want to play main missions aren't all the other side missions and activities just redundant for me personally?

Yes, they are exactly, and they are also handled more properly. Hood toggle is a feature that's bind to you, your controls and without the hood, it becomes utterly useless.

Seriously, that is a matter of interpretations. The toggle would be useful for a majority of players. No matter HOW it is done, if in menu, by button press or somehow else.

The matter of hood toggling is a problem with a minority. People who gets edgy at the fact that the Assassin takes off his hood. Anyone can make up something and say it's a viable feature that's useful to them. Like-- I HATE that my Assassin always wears his boots all the time. Make a boot toggling button, pl0x.

Dome500
03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
The matter of hood toggling is a problem with a minority. People who gets edgy at the fact that the Assassin takes off his hood. Anyone can make up something and say it's a viable feature that's useful to them. Like-- I HATE that my Assassin always wears his boots all the time. Make a boot toggling button, pl0x.

Which is not at all ridicoulous in comparison to the hood, which is a trademark of the Assassin order. Never heard anyone say "see those boots? He is and Assassin"

Anyway, like I said I don't mind if it's in the menu, as long as I get the option to toggle my hood on/off.

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Which is not at all ridicoulous in comparison to the hood, which is a trademark of the Assassin order. Never heard anyone say "see those boots? He is and Assassin"

They both sound ridiculous, though. The topic of discussion is based off cosmetic opinions and personal nitpicky cosmetic aspects of the avatar. Maybe it's because I'm neutral on the subject that I don't see the ''useful'' importance of the hood in comparison.

Anyway, like I said I don't mind if it's in the menu, as long as I get the option to toggle my hood on/off.

Me neither. I never disagreed with the idea of an always cloaked hood option. Just found the ''toggle'' option to be rather inessensial.