PDA

View Full Version : questions about freedom cry standalone

my2012
03-13-2014, 03:19 AM
Hey,
Im thinking about getting the standalone dlc and was wondering if the map is the same as the in-game dlc or can you do more exploring etc like the main game?

From what I understand the dlc map is smaller meaning exploration is only limited to what they have for you and not like the main game map.

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 03:57 AM
Hey,
Im thinking about getting the standalone dlc and was wondering if the map is the same as the in-game dlc or can you do more exploring etc like the main game?

From what I understand the dlc map is smaller meaning exploration is only limited to what they have for you and not like the main game map.

It has the same type of world map design, and exploration is possible, but nowhere near on the scale of the base game. There are plenty of places to explore, and ship-to-ship fighting, and undersea exploration spots and all that, just not as many.

I - personally - had a terrible experience with the game though. For whatever reason, the game had an annoyingly frequent habit of hard-locking my PS4 at any given moment that it felt like doing so, during any of the main sequence memories. I was fine during general exploration, but it took me a week to finish the "4-hours" of extra contect, because of those hard locks, which always forced me to open up the XMB menu and shut the game down.

I'm not saying don't get it, because when it DIDN'T lock out on me, it was fun. There isn't much of a change (by that I mean, there isn't any change whatsoever) in the controls or mechanics from ACIV:BF to ACIV:FC, but it's still fun. Quite a few of the achievements are copied and pasted from the AC4 base game, most of which they didn't even bother renaming, but that's a small issue. The only noticeable difference is the Blunderbuss, which i only ever really used in pursuit of the achievement that was related to it, after that it just wasn't something i cared to keep using.

But that's my input on my experience with it. Again, I'm not saying don't get it, because it is fun, and Adewale seems to have more depth of character than Edward could've ever hoped for. I just hope the problems that hit me won't affect you (which I doubt they will, since I couldn't find ANYTHING on the internet about others mentioning the same hard-locks, so it appears my issue is isolated just to me ... story of my life :P)

frodrigues55
03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey,

The map for the standalone Freedom Cry is the exact same one from the Freedom Cry DLC, as they are the exact same games.

Both of them, however, are tiny next to Black Flag's main game with Edward. There are no forts, one shipwrek and about 5 plantations or so. It's still a good game, though. Here's the map:

http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/freedom-cry-6-1024x576.jpg

AherasSTRG
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
The Stand-Alone game is exactly the same as the equivelant DLC. The stand-alone game costs 15 bucks, while the DLC costs 10 bucks, although they are exactly the same. That is because in order to get the DLC version, you need to have bought the main game.
Like all good DLCs should be, Freedom Cry is just like the main game, only everything is scaled down to meet the lower price tag. With that said, Freedom Cry has got story missions, which are equivelant to 2 big sequences of the main game (the main game has got 12 normal gameplay sequences). The map of the Freedom Cry DLC is the 1/8 of the map of Black Flag. There are locations to explore, like an underwater shipwreck, 3 plantations, 2 smugglers' dens, 1 or 2 islands, a few sandbags (very small islands) and a big port (Port-au Prince). However, the main game has got many more locations and variety: In the main game you can visit places like the above, but you also have access to fort battles, Mayan Ruins, Seaside Villages and others.
If you own the main game, you should definitely buy Freedom Cry as a DLC for 10 bucks. If you do not own the main game, I would suggest that you should wait for a price drop, get the main game and then the DLC. If you do not plan on getting the main game (or you want to buy it later), you can buy the DLC for 15 bucks, it's a ton of fun with an interesting protagonist and a great twist in the mechanics of the main game. In my opinion, though, this piece of DLC is worth around 11 to 12 bucks (relatively comparing with what other games are offering with their 10-buck DLCs) and not 15.
If you own a PS4 or an X1, you might want to have a look at the Jackdaw Edition, scheduled to be released on the 28th of March as an Amazon exclusive, which includes the main game and the Season Pass ( = all DLCs: Freedom Cry, Guild of Rogues multiplayer DLC, Wrath of Blackbeard multiplayer DLC, Kraken Ship Pack, The Crusader and the Florentine Ship Pack and the Illustrious Pirates outfits and islands pack).

my2012
03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
hey thanks for the map. it looks kinda huge already lol.

Ureh
03-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Not bad at all. Freedom Cry will be my first dlc purchase. :O

frodrigues55
03-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Not bad at all. Freedom Cry will be my first dlc purchase. :O

Good call :o It's my second favorite DLC after Da Vinci's. It tells a nice story, has a beautiful atmosphere, nice missions and there's a particular memory that's very powerfull. And I particulary like that it's with a different character few years after Black Flag, that was a neat ideia. It's seriously a small game of its own.

Hope you enjoy it!

hey thanks for the map. it looks kinda huge already lol.

I guess :p It's seriously small next to Black Flag's main map, but it still adds up a few more things to do.

Wolfmeister1010
03-15-2014, 01:31 AM
The plantations and Port Au Prince are good locations, but sadly, all the other ones are just filler. For example, about half of the island "locations" are actually little rocks about twice the size of the sandbars in AC4 main game, with only 1 or 2 treasure chests each. Same thing with the abandoned fort. Just 3 chests. Not even a viewpoint. And the underwater location is a small little map with a small tunnel and the remains of the Jackdaw.

Long story short, you get the same amount of map in both the DLC and standalone, which isnt that much map at all.