PDA

View Full Version : Why ac should come to an end

andreycvetov
03-11-2014, 09:55 PM
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.Ubisoft,end my favourite franchise with and explosive ending and let it go

rcole_sooner
03-11-2014, 10:04 PM
http://claude101.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/vlcsnap-2010-02-07-16h17m34s871.png

STDlyMcStudpants
03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
get outta heyuh
Dont buy the games anymore..just pretend ;)

dxsxhxcx
03-11-2014, 10:08 PM
they'll only put this franchise to rest when it stops making profit or at least don't make enough profit to justify the trouble of making the game, I just wish they were able to handle the (modern day) plots they create better (a LOT better).

Sushiglutton
03-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Ironic that you quoted Batman as that franchise started 1939, almost 75 years ago :D!

AssassinHMS
03-11-2014, 10:10 PM
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.Ubisoft,end my favourite franchise with and explosive ending and let it go

Why exactly do you want AC to end? Do you dislike recent AC games?

rcole_sooner
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
FIFY.

It was in the advanced editor options. Maybe not available if you are on a smartphone.

Hmmm, editing blasted some line feeds too .. I think I got 'em right.

AssassinHMS
03-11-2014, 10:28 PM
FIFY.

It was in the advanced editor options. Maybe not available if you are on a smartphone.

Hmmm, editing blasted some line feeds too .. I think I got 'em right.
Ah, thanks! I'll edit my post and remove what's not necessary.

mou119
03-11-2014, 10:30 PM
I just wish they were able to handle the (modern day) plots they create better (a LOT better).

I hated the modern day part of ACIV. I think the first person view is good, but everything else was terrible. The animus, a very complex and stylish sci-fi machine with an original look is now just a dumb desktop computer with an oculus rift..??? I really hope the modern day story in the next AC game has nothing to do with Abstergo Entertainment, but is instead more like AC1, in a building with that modern and elegant grey look that contrasts so well with the ancient settings...

Crouching.Tiger
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
http://claude101.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/vlcsnap-2010-02-07-16h17m34s871.png

You always act so surprised. I have begged you to see the Rabbi.

andreycvetov
03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Why exactly do you want AC to end? Do you dislike recent AC games? Well thats really a hard one.The downfall,for me,came with ac:3 because to that date the franchise stood out in my mind with a unique,unpredictable story and neverbefore seen singleplayer.THAT BUILUP for ac:3 got me ready for the gaming adventure of my life and i was hyped to the sky.I watched the trailers atlest 50 times and i was sure that it was going to be the best game ever.Then the game came and soon i found out that it was not that special.Everything seemed good but in the end it felt like a good puzzle with all the parts,just that it wasnt assembled.I have played it 4 times,everytime going in it in hope of finding something that will make me crown it as the experience it had to be .AC4 for me,came too soon and although it was a really fun game to play i saw the main aspects of an ac game slightly damaged.The story was somehow simple and predictable.Overall game mechanics werent greatly improved and i found myself roaming the seas too much time.One thing that i have to acknowledge is that the writing is superb and the dialogues are one of the best . After recent statements from ubisoft employees we found aout that they havent even planned ending it,which means that it will become history setting simulator rather than an ac game with a great story and and interesting setting as a background.In ac4 the animations were lazily copied from the tomohawk ones and we say the worst combat in the franchise.ALL of this leaves to the conclusion that they do it just to get money from the fans.THATS why i want and ending.Before it becomes cod.Even if the next game comes out as good as the last installment acording to some people the whole concept of ac is starting to get somehow dull or it will become.Let it breathe and then after couple of years give an epic conclusion which all will remember.Refined social stealth combat and an unique story.Thats all. It either dies like one of the greatest franchizes ever or it lives long enough to see itself become part of the grey sea that not so special games are part of.

andreycvetov
03-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Although it sounded harsh I have a bit of optimism left.I just dont want to be games that are yearly and pretty fun.I want an amazing experience,one that stays in your mind forever.If they make if evey year it will become like.............Lem me give an example.If your favourite food is pizza and you eat pizza today and tommorow you will be happy.On the day after you will still be happy but a little annoyed.AFter weeks you will no stand it,even if its the best pizza ever.

oliacr
03-11-2014, 11:28 PM
And if they don't do the annual release then you become angry.

Assassin_M
03-12-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm against yearly releases and i'm one of the people who firmly believe that recent AC games suffered from the schedule; however, I don't think AC can ever become CoD. At least not to me. CoD has a pretty simplistic concept. It's a first person shooter and those have a simple concept. Do you know Doom?

Doom demonstrated the amazing simplicity of a first-person shooter. You don't need a reason or a story, just some cool guns and something to shoot at. Years later, many shooters have added some semblance of story (though not necessarily a good one) and have invented various alternatives to healthpacks and an infinite array of guns, lasers, and explosives. The meat of those experiences, however, are relatively simple - you shoot things dead. Before they do that to you. You're often a lone-gunman, whether it be superhero-type or just lucky scientist, out to save the world. First-person-shooters might as well be called "only-person" shooters.

In most video games, the perspective has a profound impact upon the player. It defines the relationship between what's happening on screen and what the player is feeling. In a first-person game, the player is the avatar. What happens to the character is in fact displayed as happening to the player. As opposed to in a third-person game, where the player is controlling a character that is displayed as someone else, it is very easy for the player to think about the events in a FPS as happening to him or her. It attracts a wide audience everywhere, but like I said, it's become a very tired formula.

AC; however, has a much MUCH more complex concept. It has a long life cycle. true, complex can mean more difficulty, but AC's formula, as proven by the consistent sales in the face of yearly releases, is more mallaeble. I often find myself saying after finishing an AC "ahh, i might not want to play another AC for some time" the gameplay can be fatigued...the climbing, the stabbing, the running...it can get mundane, BUT in AC..something always catches your eye...something that keeps you coming..the History, the lore, the cities, the music...etc.

All in all, this is just my opinion..I don't think AC's formula can become like CoD's and if you really want an end, just pretend it was AC III. replay that game and end it there..don't play any other ACs afterwards...just sayin'

AssassinHMS
03-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Well thats really a hard one.The downfall,for me,came with ac:3 because to that date the franchise stood out in my mind with a unique,unpredictable story and neverbefore seen singleplayer.THAT BUILUP for ac:3 got me ready for the gaming adventure of my life and i was hyped to the sky.I watched the trailers atlest 50 times and i was sure that it was going to be the best game ever.Then the game came and soon i found out that it was not that special.Everything seemed good but in the end it felt like a good puzzle with all the parts,just that it wasnt assembled.I have played it 4 times,everytime going in it in hope of finding something that will make me crown it as the experience it had to be .AC4 for me,came too soon and although it was a really fun game to play i saw the main aspects of an ac game slightly damaged.The story was somehow simple and predictable.Overall game mechanics werent greatly improved and i found myself roaming the seas too much time.One thing that i have to acknowledge is that the writing is superb and the dialogues are one of the best . After recent statements from ubisoft employees we found aout that they havent even planned ending it,which means that it will become history setting simulator rather than an ac game with a great story and and interesting setting as a background.In ac4 the animations were lazily copied from the tomohawk ones and we say the worst combat in the franchise.ALL of this leaves to the conclusion that they do it just to get money from the fans.THATS why i want and ending.Before it becomes cod.Even if the next game comes out as good as the last installment acording to some people the whole concept of ac is starting to get somehow dull or it will become.Let it breathe and then after couple of years give an epic conclusion which all will remember.Refined social stealth combat and an unique story.Thats all. It either dies like one of the greatest franchizes ever or it lives long enough to see itself become part of the grey sea that not so special games are part of.

Ah, I see. I feel the same way. Perhaps you're right, perhaps it would be better for AC to just end. However, at this point it matters little. For me, it can't get any worse, I'm completely drawn off the franchise and my expectations for it are zero to none. At this point I would rather if AC was the trillogy that it was set to be.

To me, AC was never about the mindless action or the freedom of being Hulk. I liked AC for its early premisse, for what Ubisoft had planned for it before giving in to the pressure of todays market. In short, I wanted a slow paced adventure where I was encouraged to think and plan ahead, where I had to think and act like a silent predator, like an Assassin, in order to survive and to carry out complex and breathtaking missions. I expected a world full of conspiracies and secrets hidden behind a beautiful and aparently healthy (if not cheerful) city. I wanted an Assassin simulator where I had to spy on people, break into their houses and into their lives in order to add pieces to a puzzle that would lead the assassin to his enemies. In terms of gameplay, I wanted strong mechanics that were fair and balanced and rewarded skill and smarts and I wanted to apply them in an open world full of random events, side missions and activities.

Instead, I got products that felt closer to sightseeing, to a tour than to actual games. No challenge, no investigations, no strong core, no real deph.

That being said, given AC's current state, I think Ubisoft will be forced to work on AC's core and rethink their approach. Obviously they will still try to please everyone and deny AC a real overhaul, but I don't think they can mess it up more than they already have. Will it be enough for me to give it another shot? Probably not, but I will try and keep an open mind.

Anyway, my point is that AC ended for me after I played AC3. I don't need an actual last game to give closure, because, to me, this isn't AC, this is just another franchise that serves as an experiment to the birth of other franchises (like naval=possible pirate franchise). And, if along the way they decide to pick up where AC left, I will buy the game and try it.

Fatal-Feit
03-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Assassin's Creed is a far cry from CoD.

Anyway, I do not care for it. The AC universe is too expansive for an ending. We've barely reached the tip of the iceberg. There are dozens and dozens of more intriguing stories to be told, unique settings to unravel, cryptic mysteries to be unfold, distinctive protagonists with peculiar roles to play, and inwhich the gameplay always innovate upon them. There's more to lose than gained by ending this franchise, IMO.

poptartz20
03-12-2014, 04:19 AM
I feel that the AC world is so large and unique that it really doesn't have to end for years to come. With that being said, I feel game wise that eventually it should end. Like all things do. ;_; I can't believe I'm really saying this but I feel that while it can continue in different forms such as comics, books, and television shows. (live action and animated)

I mean do you guys still want to play a game with the same mechanics or whatever the problem may be at the time because there always is one, and no one is ever happy 10 years down the line with yearly releases? Be honest and I'm sure the answer will more than likely be... YES. haha. but really, No.

I mean of course this is just all my opinion.

I feel the same way with a series I've been reading. I've been reading it for 10 years. so.. needless for me to say as much as I love it. I'd be okay with it finally ending.

Rugterwyper32
03-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Maybe I'd share such an opinion if there were more games that allowed me to explore history as this series does. But as it stands? No. I really don't mind the series going yearly for a whole decade with minimal improvements/changes in mechanics, as it stands right now I don't see any other game that gives me the sense of historical tourism this series gives me. My reason for originally buying AC1 wasn't because it looked like a fantastic game with social stealth and a combat system that looked intriguing or whatnot; it was because it was a game set in the crusades in which I would have the opportunity to mess around the playground of these amazing recreations of historical cities. Even if it was considered repetitive I kept replaying it a lot simply to wander around. I actually really didn't care about the idea of modern day back when I first played it, as it took me away from messing around in historical places, even though I give it credit as a plot device and a way to explain the UI.
Frankly, you could give me games in the series that are not connected to each other by narrative be it a modern storyline or bloodlines, just dealing with the conspiracies of assassins and templars all over history, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. The mix of the conspiracy element in these historical settings and the way they represent history and allow you to explore it is something I haven't experienced in any other game, and unless this series gets any proper competition, I wouldn't want it to end.

poptartz20
03-12-2014, 04:49 AM
so all you're basically wanting is a game that lets you play in different historical settings to tour? and it doesn't necessarily have to be AC?

because the reason I even go into AC myself was because I thought Altiar looked really cool and I liked the concepts and history aspect of it. Then I actually got into the other things such as the story and gameplay etc.

but from what I've read it seems the main aspect that keeps you interested is the cool historic settings that you can explore which is perfectly fine. but if another game series could offer you the same thing would you care then if it came to an end?

Fatal-Feit
03-12-2014, 05:00 AM
I mean do you guys still want to play a game with the same mechanics or whatever the problem may be at the time because there always is one, and no one is ever happy 10 years down the line with yearly releases? Be honest and I'm sure the answer will more than likely be... YES. haha. but really, No.

I mean of course this is just all my opinion.

I feel the same way with a series I've been reading. I've been reading it for 10 years. so.. needless for me to say as much as I love it. I'd be okay with it finally ending.

Well for me, every AC game is a self contained story of its own with very diverse narrative and gameplay. For example - AC:IV - It already has a unique story with an ending of its own and the unique role of playing an infamous pirate who can seamlessly explore the Carribean with a ship and a crew of his own. To me, all of these elements weren't conveyed in AC:1, the Ezio Trilogy, or Connor Saga. And like them, it felt like a complete game/saga/trilogy of its own. For me, it just wasn't anything like playing the role of an arrogant Assassin crusader during the age of medieval knights where poverty was at its peak and extremely tall architectures as the bases of viewpoints and exploration. 10 years of changes and innovation like that just isn't the same as enjoying long ongoing series like Naruto, Lost, and Bones or game franchises like CoD, RE, and Street Fighter. --Sorry, too tired to think of good examples, lol.

Rugterwyper32
03-12-2014, 05:06 AM
so all you're basically wanting is a game that lets you play in different historical settings to tour? and it doesn't necessarily have to be AC?

because the reason I even go into AC myself was because I thought Altiar looked really cool and I liked the concepts and history aspect of it. Then I actually got into the other things such as the story and gameplay etc.

but from what I've read it seems the main aspect that keeps you interested is the cool historic settings that you can explore which is perfectly fine. but if another game series could offer you the same thing would you care then if it came to an end?

It's the main thing for me. I've grown to like the story and the gameplay for sure, but if another series gave me a take of history similar to what this series does, I wouldn't necessarily like the idea of it ending but I'd come to terms with it a lot easier. But the thing that truly does it for me is the representations of these historical eras and the magic of exploring them and wandering around in them rather than just controlling an army in an RTS game or whatnot. I'm used to historical games being mostly RTS games, but this series gave it a completely different angle, so I'd certainly miss it if it ended, but if there were more games that did a good job at giving you a way to explore history as this series does it'd work for me.

pirate1802
03-12-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm with Rugterwyper. As long as ac is the only game giving me detailed, well-realized historical worlds, I don't want ac to end. If there were more games like ac, then maybe not but as things are now? hell no! I like the gameplay, story and all, but the beautiful historical settings is the thing that drew me to this franchise and continues to excite me, when I learn about them in new games. AC is like time machine for me, well.. as good as you can actually get.

Also I think its a little selfish to want the series to end just because you didnt like the last few sequels. Okay, so to you the last games were crap. Not like they were before. You feel downtrodden. So you want the series to end and be done with.. ignoring there are many many others who enjoyed the games and would want more? Not cool bro. Food for thought: not buying sequels simulate the exact effects of a franchise ending for sequel-haters without denying sequels to sequel-likers! Brilliant isn't it?

dxsxhxcx
03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Also I think its a little selfish to want the series to end just because you didnt like the last few sequels. Okay, so to you the last games were crap. Not like they were before. You feel downtrodden. So you want the series to end and be done with.. ignoring there are many many others who enjoyed the games and would want more? Not cool bro. Food for thought: not buying sequels simulate the exact effects of a franchise ending for sequel-haters without denying sequels to sequel-likers! Brilliant isn't it?

IMO is also selfish (and far worse) to deny a proper ending for the story for those who expect that just because "you" want it to continue (and the only or main reason for that having nothing or little to do with the story/plots itself/themselves), AC could continue forever for all I care, the problem is that they keep adding plots (IMO just for the sake of adding them) to the game and stretching the story to create more and more games only to maximize profit, it's so easy to give a conclusion to the plots created (aka Juno and now whatever they are planning with this sage thing) and then milk the franchise until its death, why not get rid of Juno (and some loose ends still left unsolved) in a proper way and then create these self contained stories (that won't add anything new to the table, story-wise) to continue milking this franchise? Why they didn't get rid of her in AC3 and then instead of create this sage plot just to have a excuse (that IMO isn't needed since "no one" really cares about the modern days) to make a new game?

They could've created games only in the past or without any new plot (read: new evil TWCB wanting to do whatever they please with the world) happening during the modern days (also making it COMPLETELY optional), just some bits of information to make the AC universe already established richer like the stories contained in the S16 puzzles used to do, but no, someone at Ubisoft thought it was a good idea to don't give a resolution for those expecting it and keep adding new things just to alienate the few players who cares about the modern days and want to see a proper ending to the story, and to make things worse, instead of add a new unique protagonist like Desmond to finish the plots still unsolved they decided to make the modern days a lot less relevant and its experience even more flawed than the previous one was, good job Ubisoft, a stroke of genius! (Y)

RinoTheBouncer
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I think -as some said- the franchise will end when it’s no longer profitable. I adore the AC franchise and I can’t wait for more, but I agree with you that a franchise should be either heading the right way or just stop with an epic finale.

They definitely need to improve modern day rather than turn it into a reductive version of it’s former self. I’d rather have a third person character who roams around an Abstergo facility, uncovering secrets than have a voiceless and nameless floating camera doing nothing special. The Animus, as someone here said, has become a desktop computer, the facility is now just a nice looking building with all the feeling of mystery of Abstergo Industries completely gone and just when things started to get interesting, the game ended.

I think they need to pour in more resources and inspiration rather than just give us a historical tour in some mainstream setting and call it an Assassin’s Creed game. Don’t get me wrong, I never invested much time in a game than I did with ACIV and Edward is my 2nd most favorite Assassin, the first being Ezio. But to be perfectly honest, the charm of the AC franchise is no longer there. The game is no longer as intriguing. I miss the real Pieces of Eden and the short modern day moments that were powerful enough to keep me waiting for them to happen like ACII, ACIII and AC:B were.

There’s a reason why many people are so obsessed with Ezio and his trilogy. It’s not like he’s our relative which makes us so biased towards him. He and his games were just likable, enjoyable and intriguing. The mysteries, the Rifts and Glyphs of AC:B and ACII, respectively were such great additional materials to the story along with the modern day segments and cliffhangers. Trying to turn all the modern day story that they spent 5 years building into some sort of context or excuse to use the past with nothing ongoing like it used to, would be a crime against the franchise and the fans who invested time and efforts, deciphering everything and expecting more of it.

I wish Ubisoft thinks about the fans. Newcomers will come like we did. Anybody new will like the game if it matches their taste. No need to change it to suit more people. The first two games sold 11 million copies and they were the way they were. No point in changing it to something unoriginal just to seek more people. AC 1 and 2 had modern day in 3rd person, that’s how the franchise originally was, if somebody doesn’t like it, then they don’t like it, that’s their problem. But to erase that just because some want the game tailored to their own desires even if it’s just 5 or 10% of the game, that’s completely wrong.

I also agree with the person above saying that dragging the franchise without giving any conclusions to stories and conspiracies started in the past is very unprofessional. I want more AC games but I want some answers first instead of just new, new, new material and more more questions piling over one another.

mikeyf1999
03-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Man was I the only one who loved the modern day story in ac4

rcole_sooner
03-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Nope, I liked AC4 really well.

AC3 felt like watching Forest Gump of the Revolutionary War. Mind you I had fun the whole way, but I just couldn't help thinking that every time our hero was a figure in some famous event.

Fatal-Feit
03-13-2014, 04:28 AM
Man was I the only one who loved the modern day story in ac4

You aren't, lol.

Tanyn
03-13-2014, 04:50 AM
AC3 felt like watching Forest Gump of the Revolutionary War. Mind you I had fun the whole way, but I just couldn't help thinking that every time our hero was a figure in some famous event.

True, but AC has always been that way, since the first. I mean, Altair kills Robert de Sable, and rubs elbows with the King of England. Ezio gets to be on a first-name basis (albeit for reasons of conflict) with the damned Borgias, of all people. Then he strolls on over to Istanbul, and becomes besties with Prince Suleiman. Connor chats it up with George Washington, Sam Adams, Paul Revere and Ben Franklin. While Edward is life-long buddies with Blackbeard, Ben Hornigold, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, James Kidd and Charles Vane? (Well, maybe not so much with Ben, Jack and Vane, since he kills one, nearly kills the other, and has his ship stolen by a third ... but still)

The "gumpy" aspect has always been there :D