PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating in-game loading stuttering!?

samtroy6
03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

AC4 has really bad in-level loading stuttering for me. For example when you walk to an area where you've not been before the game stutters when it loads the new data (textures/sound?) into the memory. Once it's been loaded everythings fine when you return to that area (because it's cached then, I guess). PhysX is OFF of course. Otherwise the game runs OK for me, 60FPS with FXAA and all settings on High.

Other big games don't show this loading stuttering for me. It seems that the AC Anvil engine is not very good at loading new data while playing in a level. This is really a shame for such a big game! Since I own 32GB of RAM I already tried to play the game from an superfast RAMDisk, but I had almost the same stuttering (it was a *litle bit* better though). So this shows me that this is an general problem with the AC4 game engine.

Isn't it possible to pre-chache all the needed data somehow before an new area (or town) loads? This is veeery annoying.

Ubisoft, can you fix (or improve) that in an upcoming patch maybe? Or does anybody have helpful tips regarding this problem?

My system: Intel i5 4760 @ 4.2GHz, GTX780, 32GB RAM, latest NVidia drivers

YazX_
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
lower the Godrays and Shadow settings, if it didnt solve the problem, disable one of the cores for AC4 process by setting CPU affinity from TaskManager.

samtroy6
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
OK, thanks for the info.

God Rays are already on LOW and Shadows are on HIGH (not soft!). But I will try your suggestion with the CPU affinity, this is really a good idea. That way the data loading process has a complete CPU core for its own use :-)..

pittbull4200
03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
8+ year old system here runs game great

-1st Gen E8400 core2 duo Dual Core 3ghz
- 4x1gb DDR2 reaper memory
-evga 780i FTW motherboard
-evga 660 superclocked GTX

settings very high

HDMI connection full 1080p on Asus 24in 2ms

If on MP you definitely want to turn fog off that is junk setting

Wrath2Zero
03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
^ yeah but you have a GTX660 so you system isn't 8 years old and that 660 is bottlenecked by your CPU. It also depends what you mean by "runs game great" and on what settings.

pittbull4200
03-10-2014, 08:13 PM
^ yeah but you have a GTX660 so you system isn't 8 years old and that 660 is bottlenecked by your CPU. It also depends what you mean by "runs game great" and on what settings.

Card is new yes 470 burned up, no bottle neck at no lag at all

Settings Very High - SP/MP

Wrath2Zero
03-10-2014, 08:47 PM

You're dreaming but I suppose you must like sub 25fps and trust me, your old CPU 'is' a bottleneck to that 660. You say "very high" what exactly and what resolution, what frame-rate in Nassau? BTW, I have a Q8400@3.3Ghz/GTX 660 so I know.

jeffies04
03-12-2014, 02:53 AM

It's impossible not to have your 660sc bottleneck with your CPU. Sure, it's going to operate, but the potential power of your 660 is being wasted. It will never run at its full potential unless you upgrade your CPU. There is no magic fix or tweak for a bottlenecked GPU.

samtroy6
03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
FIXED IT!!

Unbelievable! When you turn off one CPU core ("Set Affinity") and then turn it back on, everything works fine! No more 100% CPU usage on one core, all 4 cores are used correctly.

The very same solution works in Far Cry 3 and Batman: Arkham City, these two games also show this annoying "100% usage on one CPU core" problem. This looks like an problem with Intel's CPU drivers maybe?

Is there a tool that can do this automatically? Turn off one core after game start and turn it back on? I guess not..

pittbull4200
03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
This game is not like Battlefield 3-4 or anything like that all it is, is look really and no I do not stutter, bottleneck, or lag.

If i tried BF4 then I know i would run into serious issues running dual core then BF3 was fine I was running the POS 470 then hottest card ever temps were crazy on them.

Still ran BF3 on Very High no lag stutter, I was in the top ranks on tanks then quit gaming period after 10yrs running a clan, then got hooked on this game after I got new card.