PDA

View Full Version : Nikolay Orelov last name.

Newt414
03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Well, the Russian assassins completely lost in their opinions about last name of Russian assassin Nikolay.
Some say that is must be Orlov (From "orel" that meanst "eagle". In Russian, the word lean, for example, "morkov"–"carrot", "Morkovniy", means "made ​​out of carrots." The same applies to surnames "kuznets"–"smith", and "Kusnetsov"–"Smith(ov)", like Mr. Smith, heh.) And others say that is from real last name "Orelov" that was in history. Most people think that "Orelov" its a mistake. They think people in ubisoft (I know that it is wrong to generalize all ubisoft and comics authors) who do not speak russian just take a word "orel" and made it looks like russian last name with adding "ov".
Please, for the great justice, explain how did you get that last name for russian assassin. And what is the TRUE?

Where-am-I-again
03-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I recall the -ov (-ev, -ova, -eva, etc) suffix refers to one's son/daughter, similar to scandic names (F.ex. Gunnarsson, Haroldsdottir), so he would be Son of (an/the) Eagle. This follows a pattern, in that Ezio means eagle, the name Alta´r is connected to eagles, the name of Connor's ship, the Aquila, is latin for eagle, Haytham means eagle, and so on.

SquirrelInDaSky
03-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Orlov is the right version. It's an existing last name in Russia.

Where-am-I-again
03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'll take my post back, after a quick reminding google check I have come to the conclusion, that:

Each russian has a first name, a patronymic and a surname. The patronymic has a suffix of -ovich or -evich for men and -ovna or -evna for the ladies, and this refers to the person's father. So son of eagle would be Orelovich, not Orelov.

Orelov is just a modification of this existing surname, Orlov, modified to fit Ubisofts running theme of eagle-based names. Also, if the protagonist was a woman, their surname would've been Orelova. Still going with the eagle. ^^

The more you know...

Newt414
03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I recall the -ov (-ev, -ova, -eva, etc) suffix refers to one's son/daughter, similar to scandic names (F.ex. Gunnarsson, Haroldsdottir), so he would be Son of (an/the) Eagle. This follows a pattern, in that Ezio means eagle, the name Alta´r is connected to eagles, the name of Connor's ship, the Aquila, is latin for eagle, Haytham means eagle, and so on.

Not quite, at least not for all families. It can be any value as describing characteristics of a person, a place where he was born, his nickname or his family profession. In general, the name does not necessarily indicate the father or family. Thus, the "Orlov" may be a "son of the eagle (orel)" and from town "Orel". Ultimately, his name could be as "Orleov" as well as "Orlov", depending on the origin.

Newt414
03-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Orlov is the right version. It's an existing last name in Russia.

Same for "Orelov".

Newt414
03-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Okay, I'll take my post back, after a quick reminding google check I have come to the conclusion, that:

Each russian has a first name, a patronymic and a surname. The patronymic has a suffix of -ovich or -evich for men and -ovna or -evna for the ladies, and this refers to the person's father. So son of eagle would be Orelovich, not Orelov.

Orelov is just a modification of this existing surname, Orlov, modified to fit Ubisofts running theme of eagle-based names. Also, if the protagonist was a woman, their surname would've been Orelova. Still going with the eagle. ^^

The more you know...

Okay, that's right, except that I had never heard the name "Orel". ))) (I'm from Russia, Moscow). And so it is correct that a person may have the name "Orlov" OR "Orelov".
I'm curious to know what exactly was meant Ubisoft, calling him "Orelov".

SquirrelInDaSky
03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Dude, i am russian. I can assure you that such last name as "Orelov" doesn't exist.

Какой блядь Орелов. Глупее фамилии в жизни не слышал.

Newt414
03-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Anyway, I do not want to start a huge discussion about Russian names or what they mean, I just want to know what is right. How does it come up with Ubisoft and what they mean and why is it so.

Newt414
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Dude, i am russian. I can assure you that such last name as "Orelov" doesn't exist.

Here is a link, where last name "Orelov" exist. You can also search "Orelov" in odnoklassniki or vkontakte, you will be surprised.
http://rosgenea.ru/?alf=15&serchcatal=%CE%F0%E5%EB%EE%E2&r=4

Newt414
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Moderator, can you please relocate this tread to Forums > General > General Discussion. or Assassin's Creed General Discussion. It was a mistake that i create it in "Multiplayer".

SquirrelInDaSky
03-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Here is a link, where last name "Orelov" exist. You can also search "Orelov" in odnoklassniki or vkontakte, you will be surprised.
http://rosgenea.ru/?alf=15&serchcatal=%CE%F0%E5%EB%EE%E2&r=4

Oh wow, you learn something new every day. I am quite suriprised, thx for the link.

unbelievable79
03-04-2014, 04:18 PM
when i looked on yandex.ru, this is like google there. I found a forum there and a post. someone asked there, what does my jewish name "orelov" means. The answer was, "son of aaron", who was the brother of moses. So seems, it doesn t mean, a son of the eagle. Seems ubisoft just took something, what they thought is a russian name with the word "orel"...."eagle" in it.
But maybe this is an another hint to AC5...lol...Next setting is maybe again Jerusalem....

by the way, there is a russian ubisoft forum, ask there, maybe they know, how ubisoft came to the idea with the name

Forums-ru.ubi.com

Where-am-I-again
03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I recall the -ov (-ev, -ova, -eva, etc) suffix refers to one's son/daughter, similar to scandic names (F.ex. Gunnarsson, Haroldsdottir), so he would be Son of (an/the) Eagle.
Not quite, at least not for all families. It can be any value as describing characteristics of a person, a place where he was born, his nickname or his family profession. In general, the name does not necessarily indicate the father or family. Thus, the "Orlov" may be a "son of the eagle (orel)" and from town "Orel". Ultimately, his name could be as "Orleov" as well as "Orlov", depending on the origin.

I took that back a few posts afterwards ^^ I just misremembered the naming logic.

Okay, that's right, except that I had never heard the name "Orel". ))) (I'm from Russia, Moscow). And so it is correct that a person may have the name "Orlov" OR "Orelov".
I'm curious to know what exactly was meant Ubisoft, calling him "Orelov".

Orel isn't a name, it refers to Eagle (a running theme in AC names)

when i looked on yandex.ru, this is like google there. I found a forum there and a post. someone asked there, what does my jewish name "orelov" means. The answer was, "son of aaron", who was the brother of moses. So seems, it doesn t mean, a son of the eagle. Seems ubisoft just took something, what they thought is a russian name with the word "orel"...."eagle" in it.

That's for the jewish name ^^ And Orelov doesn't mean son of eagle, I messed up (It would be Orelovich). But Ubisoft most definitely didn't name their russian protagonist after a jewish guy, not even by accident, they just intentionally picked a name that has "eagle" in it and sounds russian.

Anykeyer
03-05-2014, 07:31 AM
http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/орёл
Orlov is the only correct spelling.
Orelov is jew, not russian. And does not have anything to do with eagles. Also since Orel/eagle wasnt the name of Nicolays direct biological father it would not be correct to call him Orelovich.

:D

Newt414
03-05-2014, 07:47 AM
http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/орёл
Orlov is the only correct spelling.
Orelov is jew, not russian.

Oh come on, about a half russian last names (i think not only russian) have "jewish roots". And i say it again, i don't want to discuss about russian last names, i only want to know official position of Ubisoft about Orelov or Orlov.

Anykeyer
03-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Oh come on, about a half russian last names (i think not only russian) have "jewish roots". And i say it again, i don't want to discuss about russian last names, i only want to know official position of Ubisoft about Orelov or Orlov.

Russian names are either ancient Slavic or Greek/Byzantine in their origin. There arent a single russian name coming from jews, only russian-speaking jews adopting their names to better fit russian spelling. Most ppl in Russia didnt have surnames till 18 century. When surnames became widely adopted they were based on either names (usuallty of a grandfather) or nicknames, settlements and trades.

Where-am-I-again
03-05-2014, 09:43 AM

It's Orelov. And they chose it not because it means eagles, but because it sounds like it does. All their protagonist's names (excluding Connor and Eddy, but including Connor's ship and Haytham) refer to eagles, so it's only logical they picked a russian-sounding name that has Orel, eagle, in it. So it doesn't necessarily have to originally mean it, or even be 100% russian, just contain the word "Orel" and sound russian in general, and it's good for Ubi. And it should be good for you aswell.

Also, the AC wiki (even if not an official source) states the following:
"Nikolai's surname, Orelov, is not a Russian name; the closest match being "Orlov" (Оpлов), which means "сын орла" (syn orla), or "son of eagle". Other Assassins such as Aquilus, Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad and Ezio Auditore da Firenze also contained references to eagles in their names.

Newt414
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Any more opinions? I am still want to know official position.

Black_Widow9
03-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Moderator, can you please relocate this tread to Forums > General > General Discussion. or Assassin's Creed General Discussion. It was a mistake that i create it in "Multiplayer".
Sorry! Yes moving. ;)

Farlander1991
03-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Wait, why people say that Orelov in Russian would be "Орелов"? It's "Орлов" (Orlov) anyway, at least phonetically, because the "e" in "Orelov" wouldn't be pronounced. "Орелов" would be "Oryolov" or something like that.

Andorian
03-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Ахахах)) Тем не менее, такая фамилия есть).
I didn't hear last name Orelov before AC The Fall, though I'm Russian. "Orlov" is a wide-spread last name in Russia, but Orelov... I found the description of this last name h ere (http://www.translate.ru/General/au-ru/http%3a%2f%2ftoldot.ru%2furava%2flnames%2flnames_1 2338.html). But looks like Ubi made a mistake, because Orelov is a Jewish last name which means "Son of Aaron". Looks like Ubi should choose "Orlov", because it refers to "Orel" (russian - Орёл), which translates as "Eagle", which continues the idea of naming following Altair and Ezio. So, yes, Ubi made a mistake.

Newt414
03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry! Yes moving. ;)

Thanx