PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does AC4 not look much better than AC3?

rprkjj
03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I love AC4, it's a beautiful game. But apart from some prettier colors, even on next-gen, it doesn't look much if at all better than AC3. Is that just me?

LoyalACFan
03-03-2014, 08:09 AM
I think it looks better in every regard, save one; the faces. Seems like AC3 had a lot better facial textures and animation.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I've only been through half of AC4BF and it's not winning me over entirely, so to me AC3 >>>>> AC4BF

Farlander1991
03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I think it looks better in every regard, save one; the faces. Seems like AC3 had a lot better facial textures and animation.

It did, but it also had special high-res models and textures for cutscenes (AC4 gameplay and cutscene models are the same).

Sushiglutton
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM
The AC4 devs clearly inherited pretty much everything from AC3, including most of the assets and animations. So it's natural that the games look similar. Stalking zones look a lot better in AC4 though :).

frodrigues55
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
AC4 looks much better, apart from the animations (which are horrible) and facial expressions for cutscenes, as mentioned.

I'm replaying AC3 now and the cities look the worse in the series IMO. But the difference really pops up when you do naval missions - the visuals are so basic that it's hard to notice that both games are only 1 year apart.

(I tried to look for pictures but all I could find was Ubisoft's bullshots, which look awesome and nothing like the game).

Assassin_M
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
(AC4 gameplay and cutscene models are the same).
Except for the hair....DAT SHINY HAIR

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
AC:3 is graphically better and the engine is more advance than AC:IV. The Naval in AC:3 looks so much better and feels more realistic too.

The reason for this is because the developers had less time to develop and AC:IV was initially a bigger game so they had to cut down on a lot of stuff.

LoyalACFan
03-03-2014, 02:15 PM
It did, but it also had special high-res models and textures for cutscenes (AC4 gameplay and cutscene models are the same).

Pretty good trade-off for having all the outfits show up in cutscenes.

Aphex_Tim
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
AC:3 is graphically better and the engine is more advance than AC:IV.

Ehrm, what? If I'm correct, AC4 uses the exact same engine as AC3.

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Ehrm, what? If I'm correct, AC4 uses the exact same engine as AC3.

It's a mix between the old one and the new one.

Y-Falcao
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Hi ! I realized a survey for you, to see in which time (period) you think that will take place the next Assassin's Creed
http://www.pixule.com/226179741913_quelle-sera-prochain-univers-dassassins-creed.html

Megas_Doux
03-03-2014, 04:42 PM
AC IVīs environment.
AC IIIīs character models and animations.

poptartz20
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM
AC IVīs environment.

Pretty sure I agree on this.

also playing on a ps4 I think enhanced the the environment greatly! along with the frame rate and a few animations.

SixKeys
03-03-2014, 11:53 PM
AC IVīs environment.

^ This.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Ac3 is the pinnacle of past gen. It looks better than ac iv in every way because it had more time and care.
We won't see anything come close or surpass until next gen exclusive.
And I must have missed a massive chunk in ac iv because I don't remember this "environment"

SixKeys
03-04-2014, 12:41 AM
And I must have missed a massive chunk in ac iv because I don't remember this "environment"

Must be. I take it you never used the stalking zones where each individual leaf was moving according to your position? Never sailed the open seas with its detailed and realistic water, with dolphins swimming by your side and tropical fish in the shallow waters? Never dove underwater with all the sharks and seaweed and caves and corrals? Never went through the first mission where you had like 5 alternate paths to reach Duncan Walpole, via trees, waterfalls, fallen logs, a native village etc.? Never reached your hideout at Great Inagua where you first climbed up Mayan structures, ran through a dense jungle, came upon a massive waterfall and finally reached an open plantation?

Assassin_M
03-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Off-topic, but..

I take it you never used the stalking zones where each individual leaf was moving according to your position?
That was pretty awesome on PC and next-gen, unfortunately, the animation for the leaves are pre-set. they're not real time, which made it so cringe worthy to watch as storms automatically sent the leaves flying without any transition

Never sailed the open seas with its detailed and realistic water
I was so blown away by the great shaders, really. the waves, the sounds...it was great...except when you actually go for a swim...Edward would look so awkward in the water...he wouldn't look submerged at all

with dolphins swimming by your side
Amphibious bastards, they sometimes jumped on land :p

waterfalls
That waterfall at Du Casse's cove was just amazing. Only sometimes, in the first island Edward crashes on, it has no sound at all...it looks so weird...a wild waterfall crashing with no sound.

Just some gripes..

STDlyMcStudpants
03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Must be. I take it you never used the stalking zones where each individual leaf was moving according to your position? Never sailed the open seas with its detailed and realistic water, with dolphins swimming by your side and tropical fish in the shallow waters? Never dove underwater with all the sharks and seaweed and caves and corrals? Never went through the first mission where you had like 5 alternate paths to reach Duncan Walpole, via trees, waterfalls, fallen logs, a native village etc.? Never reached your hideout at Great Inagua where you first climbed up Mayan structures, ran through a dense jungle, came upon a massivewaterfall and finally reached an open plantation?

Everything you listed felt stiff and lifeless. You must have great imagination. Because I remember nothing but clear cut paths with decoration.

pirate1802
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't know if I have great imagination, but I do know that the first time I was raiding a plantation in Havana, I slunk into a bush and suddenly it started to rain. The awesomeness of the moment is far superior than anything AC3's environments could evoke. Same goes for when I'm cutting through jungles and gawk at the rays of sunlight filtering through. Or I'm sailing into the sunset with pitch-perfect water. For me there is no contest between the two.

dbzk1999
03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Everything you listed felt stiff and lifeless. You must have great imagination. Because I remember nothing but clear cut paths with decoration.

Guess we played different games
Lol

rcole_sooner
03-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I liked AC4 better ... but then I love the Caribbeans so it was not a fair contest for me. :cool:

I liked the Caribbeans graphics in AC3 better than the rest of AC3. I just sat on the ship staring at the scenery at times. It looked much more like AC4. I figure that was their testing ground for AC4.

All that said, I also think AC3 has a "washed" feel to the graphics that was an artistic choice. If you like that kinda thing, then you probably really liked the AC3 graphics.

My wife commented how much she liked the AC3 graphics, so she saw something she liked.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Guess we played different games
Lol

It was like walking the hallways of a school the week of a tropical themed homecoming

ACfan443
03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
It was like walking the hallways of a school the week of a tropical themed homecoming

Sounds like you're describing AC3 but without the 'decorations'.

In my opinion AC4 looks miles better than AC3. After playing the PS3 version of AC4 for quite some time I decided to boot up AC3 to see how visuals and art direction compared, and the difference was immediately noticeable, it looked incredibly washed out and dull in comparison. The PS4 version of AC4 blows it completely out of the water, but the platform is an unfair advantage.

The few areas in which AC3 outshines AC4 are cutscenes, facial animations, and tree textures.

Fatal-Feit
03-04-2014, 07:11 PM

I'm don't think we're on the same boat but that simile is almost how I felt about the majority of AC:IV. :p It's a great and beautiful change, no doubt, but it's like the classrooms and hallways went back toward the middle school route where kids are either lined up in the hallways or are seated quietly in classes. AC:3 by comparison was dull, but it felt more organic and alive. Sort of like highschool where kids are all over the place going about, stirring up trouble, talking with friends at lockers, showcasing projects, and all sort of other essential stuff. Every time I boot up AC:3 after AC:IV, the wilderness and the cities sets a darker tone, but what it consists of just feels more... impacting. Like I'm actually exploring a real place. :)

STDlyMcStudpants
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm don't think we're on the same boat but that simile is almost how I felt about the majority of AC:IV. :p It's a great and beautiful change, no doubt, but it's like the classrooms and hallways went back toward the middle school route where kids are either lined up in the hallways or are seated quietly in classes. AC:3 by comparison was dull, but it felt more organic and alive. Sort of like highschool where kids are all over the place going about, stirring up trouble, talking with friends at lockers, showcasing projects, and all sort of other essential stuff. Every time I boot up AC:3 after AC:IV, the wilderness and the cities sets a darker tone, but what it consists of just feels more... impacting. Like I'm actually exploring a real place. :)

Wha I meant was. Assassins Creed 3 in comparison was more of an open world experience.
You could travel the fronteir freely and it felt REAL.
The wilderness in AC IV felt like a linear path (hallway) with decoration and nothing more. (If you walk the halls in highschool in america the week of their homecomping the walls and cielings will have decoration taped on them dependent on the dances theme)
You couldnt go into the jungle or even climb rocks..they were used as walls....
At least AC3 wilderness walls made sense...oh this is a steep rock with nothing to grab onto or a tree close enough for me to jump over to, got it..i cant get up there
AC IV had plenty of spots had it been ac3 that i would expect to be able to go but couldnt.
These people are essentially saying a zoo has more environment than the actual wilderness is what im getting at ;D
AC IV was a zoo. Animals with set and confined spawn locations and narrow paths with only ever 2 choices max

Ureh
03-06-2014, 03:07 AM
I bet once the series makes a full transition to ps4/xb1 that the differences will be much more conspicuous. I guess it's safe to assume AC4 graphics were held back by last-gen.

DA SHIZZLE IG
03-06-2014, 12:44 PM
AC IVīs environment.
/Thread

Also

ac3 = more smooth and realistic(most realistic looking out the whole series)
ac4 = kind of cartoony with beautiful scenery

I noticed this the moment I fired up black flag. Like someone already said. They sacrificed graphics to add more stuff and bigger levels. Probably did this after all the glitches in single player AC3 lol.