PDA

View Full Version : An Assassin’s Creed Game Around the World

RinoTheBouncer
03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
How do you feel about an AC game that takes place in more than one country? are we ever going to see that?
I believe it would be fun. Something like Tomb Raider where Lara Croft visits more than one country, once she’s in Venice, later she’s exploring the Great Wall of China, later back in England to her mansion except that AC will make it more of an Open-World game than a linear game where you finish one level and move to another.

We can use ships to travel from UK to Spain or sail from Morocco to France or use a train (if we’re to have a game in the late 19th to early 20th century). In that case we get to see more than one setting and they can just give it some good budget and efforts and it could be the best AC to date. ACII did great with the traveling thing, so did ACI, however, with ACIII and ACIV, all cities felt the same. But it would be really great to see beyond just one country whether it’s the same Assassin or maybe switching two modern day Animus users playing two different DNA strains from different DNA samples. Maybe we can even have the two assassins meet at some point in the game.

What do you think?

oliacr
03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't see why not. Imagine three cities for example Constantinople, Firenze and I don't know what to say for the third London in the same era (:

ze_topazio
03-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Include Portugal on that somehow and you have my sword!

souNdwAve89
03-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Corey May talked about a similar idea before, and they played around with it a while ago. The question was brought up during a Game Informer interview with AC3's devs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sijCimTefM

at 12:50

And to answer your question. I say yes because I also had that idea when I first started playing AC with AC2. We got a tease of it in Revelations when Ezio found Altair's corpse, and then Ezio communicating to Desmond. That scene gave me goosebumps.

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-02-2014, 11:29 PM
That's an interesting idea.
I wouldn't say no, if properly done. As long as they don't half-*** it. I'd rather have a single amazing city, full of meaningful content, than a dozen of them just for the sake of saying that we get to go to a whole bunch of different places.

But, yeah, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like it in the future.

mou119
03-02-2014, 11:31 PM
To be honest, I think it's better that they focus on just one very large and detailed city. Personally, I find it a bit uncomfortable to be switching between different maps. I loved AC Brotherhood, where the only big city was Rome and most missions took place there, you only visited other regions for specific missions taking place in small maps (Leonardo's machines and such). I would love an AC game in a similar style to ACB, where there is one amazing dense main city, and there are certain missions where you are in large and open maps, for exaple on a ship in the middle of the ocean where you can see no land, or on a horse in the middle of a very large desert, like the ones in Overgrowth.

Sushiglutton
03-03-2014, 12:59 AM
I would love a game like that, but I think it should be linear (or a series of smaller hubs) and not open world. I think that could be a very cool and original take on the franchise. I actually think the AC team might be a bit better at a game like that than the OW games they are currently making. Anyway it would be interesting to see what they could od witout having to worry about all the dead weight that naturally comes with the OW.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-03-2014, 01:12 AM
I don't see any reason not to. But it should only occur if it fits the story and time period. For instance..a game set in Europe where you can visit London, Madrid, and Paris might be interesting, if the time period makes sense for it.

It's not a priority for me though. Frankly, I just want a game set in China and OUT of European nations. No Americas, no Europe, no 1700's, no guns (or very few). I want to go back to at least early 1600s but preferably earlier. We have the whole of the world's history and AC3, AC4, and AC: Liberation have all taken place in 1700's european areas. I really hope the supposed London, Industrial Revolution leak is fake. If it's real... or if it's anything like that. I'll basically give up on this series like that.

poptartz20
03-03-2014, 03:22 AM
I would really enjoy to see something like that! but it seems that a game on that kind of scale would take too much time for just a yearly release. I could see the series doing something like this. but actually come to think of it AC4 kinda gave us a taste of what it was like with Edward going to Africa!

SixKeys
03-03-2014, 03:33 AM
The problem with this would be that it used to take ages to travel between countries. From a storytelling perspective that would mean we could only ever visit the same city maybe twice if we're lucky, because the character could have aged by several months before arriving there. AC2's strength was being able to travel between cities whenever you got bored and having it make sense.

pirate1802
03-03-2014, 03:37 AM
So like AC4 but on a much bigger, more varied scale? I thought of such an idea not long ago. Like in a game centered around Alexander's conquest, you start off in Greece, have a hub city and surrounding areas. Then later you move on to Babylon, get a new hub and countryside. And finally you move to near-India and get a new city. Would be most excited to see something like that happen!

whereisantonio
03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I mentioned in another thread about how the modern storyline should go in the next AC game.

The main character (in the modern times in AC4) finds out his ancestors has first civilisation blood and he works with the assassins around the world to get DNAs from contacts and explore their ancestors for vital information regarding to Juno's comeback. Since you can travel around the world, you can meet so many different people and get their DNAs put into the animus and such.

What do you guys think?

Farlander1991
03-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Well, the gameplay/story segregation is not exactly an issue in this case because of the Animus. Just because we as the player can travel between different countries a lot doesn't mean the ancestor has done it (Ezio spends several years in Venice even if we're to travel around a lot).

What is a problem, however, is assets. There is a reason why the previous AC games that visited other countries for a bit, i.e. ACB, AC3, AC4, don't visit them for more than a linear mission or two. For example, you need to make an entirely different set of NPCs and enemies (and AC games usually already have that even when there's just ONE area, imagine now that there's more). You probably won't be able to reuse like 50% of the assets at the least. Another problem is research. A lot of work is going into researching ONE area, historically, now imagine the amount of work to be done to do several, even if each is on a lesser scale.

Basically, unless it's a linear game like Sushi says, it's a HUGE amount of work, doing it open-world is going to be incredibly hard.

shobhit7777777
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
While I have no problems with multiple cities in one game....I'd honestly prefer that the devs focus on location and then flesh it out so well that you never want to leave it.

I'm fine eitherway....I just want dense, beautiful cities TEEMING with life

RinoTheBouncer
03-13-2014, 10:44 AM
I’m glad a lot of you are with the idea. I hope they make it come true. I mean, c’mon we all have so many favorite cities that will probably never get their own game, so lets just give the fans a taste of that city. Maybe there will never be a game in Spain or Germany or a full 20th century or modern day game but nothing’s wrong with giving just a portion there. It would be really interesting.

AC:R did great telling two stories at the same time, so I guess it would be great to expand on that idea, one way or another whether in time or place.

LatinaC09
03-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I think this would be a fantastic idea! There are so many countries in this world that it's a shame that they can't all make it into these games. That's one thing about AC2 that I missed from all the other AC games. You were able to visit multiple cities that were all distinctively different from one another. It would really be awesome to see different countries in one game.

RinoTheBouncer
07-22-2014, 05:13 PM
I think this would be a fantastic idea! There are so many countries in this world that it's a shame that they can't all make it into these games. That's one thing about AC2 that I missed from all the other AC games. You were able to visit multiple cities that were all distinctively different from one another. It would really be awesome to see different countries in one game.

Yeah, I believe a globetrotting AC game would be extremely epic. Now that we have next-gen. technology (current ten to be more accurate), developers have the ability to create large worlds in very detailed and beautiful graphics. We don’t have to visit each and every country around the world, but visiting 5 or 7 important locations like Tomb Raider used to do back in the day would be extremely entertaining. They could chain multiple locations that fans demand but don’t have what it takes to have a full game, each in one big game.

There are many ways to achieve that. They can have one Assassin traveling around the world or shifting between multiple Assassins who live in different parts of the world and are somehow connected or perhaps 3 Assassins separated by time and place, and we get to shift and see the different locations in different eras.

JustPlainQuirky
07-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Around the world in 80 days, AC edition. :rolleyes:

Locopells
07-23-2014, 12:31 AM
But would Phileas Fogg or Passepartout be the Assassin?!