PDA

View Full Version : Why India would be the perfect setting

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Frankly, I find it weird that there doesn't seem to be many people asking for an AC set in India. All I see is people asking for Japan, Victorian London, French Revolution, Egypt and even the Second World War!
People should think outside the box. Besides, Ubisoft has said they they want to surprise gamers with their settings...

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion, I'm not saying that I'm right and everyone else is wrong) India in the 19th century would be perfect for an AC in every possible way.

Firstly, it would be original and feel fresh.
Can you think of a game (especially a AAA game) set in India? I, for one, can't.
It's not just the fact that we don't have other games with that setting. The whole Indian vibe and atmosphere feels completely different from all the other settings in previous AC games. Considering the fact that more and more people are suffering from franchise fatigue, particularly due to the fact that there's an AC game a year, getting a truly new and fresh setting would certainly help the series (I'm still against the annualisation of the series, though, but that's another topic).

It's gorgeous. It's exotic. It's extremely diverse. It's ancient. It's big.
The Indian subcontinent has such diversity, not only when it comes to natural landscapes, but also in cultures, peoples and languages, that, frankly, were it not for the fact that it used to be united under the British, today it'd probably consist of numerous small countries.
If we had an AC game set in India, we could have Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, Sikh, Jain, British, Portuguese, French architecture, amongst countless other cultures.
Have you seen the kind of architecture you can find in India? It would be perfect for all the free-running and climbing that you do in AC. And, with all the diversity, exploring the map would be a joy. For example, I loved AC 4, but, frankly, due to the fact that it's set in the Caribbean, gorgeous though it is, the whole thing looked too similar. No such problem with India!

I was thinking about posting some photos of different places in India, but I can't be bothered and I don't want to make this post even longer. Everyone here knows how to use Google.
EDIT: Shobhit7777777 has found a thread in another message board with lots of great old photos and paintings of Indian cities. Do check it out!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1099783

Just look up such places as:
Delhi, with all its monuments, palaces, forts etc.

Agra, for the same, but also: Taj Mahal!

Mumbai (in Mumbai, the Victoria Terminus railway station alone is bloody impressive and it was built in the 19th century)

Rajasthan and its coloured cities, such as Jodhpur, Jaipur and others

Amritsar

Lahore

Kashmir, Ladakh, Srinagar, Simla, near the Himalaya

Sikkim

Goa, which was a part of the Portuguese Empire for around 450 years

Pondicherry, a part of the French Empire, at the time

The holy cities by the Ganges, such as Varanasi, Allahabad and others

Calcutta

Ancient ruins and carvings, such as the Kailash Temple, which is actually a monumental sculpture on rock

I could go on and on...

It's not just magnificent cities, there's also a lot of beautiful natural landscapes and all sorts of cool wild animals.
Pretty much every kind of natural landscape you can think of, India has it.

Plains

Desert

Deep, steamy jungles, some with primitive tribes (especially in the little explored Northeast)

Himalayan mountains, filled with Tibetan culture, people and architecture

Beautiful mountain valleys and hill stations, covered in flowers

Mangroves and backwaters, such as the famous Sundarbans Delta, with its big population of Bengal tigers

Tropical beaches

A huge coastline with some very busy maritime trade routes with ships from countries all over the world, so you could even keep the naval stuff, though not in such a prominent role as in AC 4.

Monsoon rains in the Summer, huge snowfalls in the northern mountains. They could bring back seasons!

You name it.

As for animals, India also has them all!

Tigers

Elephants (war elephants! And decorated elephants, as well)

Peacocks

Asiatic Lions

Rhinos

Camels

Leopards

Cheetahs (yes, most people don't know it, but India used to have wild cheetahs. They became extinct, in India, only during the mid-20th century. They should make it as in Far Cry 3 and have predators hunt other animals. Just imagine, you're scouting the area on top of a tree, when, all of a sudden, you see a cheetah racing behind a deer at a speed of over 100 km/hour, leaving a trail of dust. Try and catch that one!)

Deer

Monkeys (not just in the wild, but in the streets, temples and ruins as well. Speaking of temples with animals all over the places, we're talking about a country which has a temple where rats rule, the Karni Mata Temple. Check it out!)

Vultures

Water buffaloes

Gaur (the largest bovine in the world)

Snakes

Wolves

Dholes

Cows roaming the streets (if you attacked a cow, the people, not just the guards, would try to attack you, cows being revered amongst the Hindu)

Bears

Snow leopards

Yaks

Crocodiles

I could go on.

Lots of story potential.
During the 19th century, the entire subcontinent is under European (mostly British) occupation. There's tension, of course. It exploded in the famous 1857 Sepoy Mutiny, which could pretty much be called an Independence War. But it's not that simple. It's not just a matter of Indians against British. There were also many Indians against Indians, many of them fought on the British side. India at the time also had lots of autonomous Princely States (and some of those princes were quite eccentric characters), some of which rebelled against the British, and others remained loyal. There were also those who switched sides in mid-conflict. The politics were quite complex.
Also, there has always been some tension and hostility amongst several groups in India, so it's not just the Sepoy Mutiny. In certain regions, Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs have a mutual distrust and, sometimes, even hatred. There's also a lot of tribal mentality and infighting. The Northwest Frontier (present day Afghanistan-Pakistan border area) was always a very dangerous area, full of adventure and such.

There were lots of European adventurers, explorers, soldiers, anthropologists, naturalists etc., many of whom were also quite interesting, and sometimes eccentric, characters.

There were Indian nationalists and traditionalists, but there were also those Indians who worked with the British and who tried to make progressive reforms in Indian society, such as abolishing the caste system and abolishing practices such as sati, in which widows would throw themselves onto the funeral pyre of the husband, thus immolating themselves and joining their late husbands in death.

Colourful festivals
Holi (also know as The Festival of Colours) is obviously a great example.

Beautiful music
Well, I just like traditional Indian music. You know, sitars and such.
And here's the thing, in predominantly Hindu areas, you could have more traditional Indian music.
In Muslim areas, the music would be more Persian-inspired and every now and then you would hear the call for prayer coming from the mosques (just as in AC: Revelations)
In Tibetan areas, you could hear the sound of Tibetan long horns, cymbals and gyalings coming from the monasteries (think of some parts of Uncharted 2's music)

Sadhus, yogis and other sorts of holy men
Really, check those guys out!

Anyway, I think I could go on speaking about all of the awesomeness of India and how perfect it would be for AC, but I think I got my point across.

I'm not saying that any other setting for AC is crap, obviously, but I truly believe that Ubisoft would be fools in not eventually making an AC set in India. It has everything going for it!

If I had to think of one problem with an Indian setting, the only thing that comes to mind is that India is so epic and so diverse, that, unless they spent several years making a MASSIVE game, one game could never do justice to the Indian setting. The only alternative would be to make a second (and possibly even a third) game set in India, just as they did with Brotherhood, which was the second game set in Italy.
But, of course, people would complain, because most people want a totally different setting with each game.

Still, this is hardly a real problem, so I still think that India would be simply perfect.

ze_topazio
03-02-2014, 06:01 PM
As long as it's not the British Raj it would be lovely.

jdowny
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I agree. India is as unexpected and original for a setting as the Middle East. I kind of hope that Ubisoft don't go for the popular fan choices like Japan, Victorian England, French Revolution, Egypt, China etc. simply to be unexpected and original. I don't mean to sound unkind, but really - fans have been mentioning these locations over and over again on a loop for the past 5 years. It's as though they can't think for themselves with regards to original locations and simply follow what every one else is saying.

I'm glad at least you're thinking outside the box. Though it would be nice to play a game where the British aren't there as colonising despots (a challenge, I know).

jayjay275
03-02-2014, 07:27 PM
I don't feel it - but hey it may be good, some day.

shobhit7777777
03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I agree with OP

souNdwAve89
03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I agree. India is as unexpected and original for a setting as the Middle East. I kind of hope that Ubisoft don't go for the popular fan choices like Japan, Victorian England, French Revolution, Egypt, China etc. simply to be unexpected and original. I don't mean to sound unkind, but really - fans have been mentioning these locations over and over again on a loop for the past 5 years. It's as though they can't think for themselves with regards to original locations and simply follow what every one else is saying.

I'm glad at least you're thinking outside the box. Though it would be nice to play a game where the British aren't there as colonising despots (a challenge, I know).

Uh No.. Just no. Get off your high horse. A lot of fans want a game based during the French Revolution, Victorian London, etc because it has a lot to offer in the AC universe. Many of the popular time periods fits what the early games were so great at: landmarks, conspiracies, myths, etc. Not saying other places in history don't have any of that, but you can't blame fans for wanting those popular time periods. In my opinion, Victorian London has AC written all over it. landmarks such as Big Ben, Jack the Ripper, River Thames, secret societies, a period of industrial and economic change, weather/atmosphere, etc. Some of the technology used during that time period can give something that AC hasn't done yet. For example, train transportation can give a cool mission such as stalking your target aboard a train, blending in, eavesdropping, etc. It can be another option of fast travel, but you can stay aboard on the train and watch the scenery before getting off. I'm all for whatever time period Ubisoft, but to pretty much say fans are dumb and not original because they like popular time periods is very eye rolling.

AherasSTRG
03-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Up until now, the only people I see wanting an AC set in India come from India.

jdowny
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Uh No.. Just no. Get off your high horse. A lot of fans want a game based during the French Revolution, Victorian London, etc because it has a lot to offer in the AC universe.

I never said any of these examples are bad - I said it annoys me that these seem to be the only options that everyone mentions, as though there aren't hundreds and hundreds of other examples in history that might be just as exhilarating. I also never said anyone was unintelligent. On the contrary, I was complimenting O-Rei-do-Frango on coming up with something more original. But on the topic of originality, considering there are literally hundreds of these sorts of topics flouting the exact same places however, this is somewhat justified.

My post was meant to express disappointment, not insults - if this made me seem like I was on a high horse, I apologise.

ze_topazio
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
People used to suggest India all the time before the release of that comic book, after that they kind of stopped but suggesting India as a possible setting is nothing new.

RinoTheBouncer
03-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Iíd be happy if they make an AC game in an indian setting, especially if they handle it the way they did with Brahman which was half modern, half historical with such good-looking characters and intensely evolving story. I wouldnít wanna spend half the game doing missions to factions that donít mean anything to me, like a mercenary, only to have faith in the Assassins in the last 3 sequences.

I also donít want another game where another power is occupying the country I am in. If weíre to go to India, lets do that in ancient times, not in the 18th century. Iím really tired of French, British and Spanish forces. No offense to anyone from those regions but i wanna spend more time knowing the culture and their mysteries and linkage to the First Civ. and the general plot than getting involved in their affairs with the French and the British forces.

pirate1802
03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah well.. India got the comicbook treatment, so I won't get my hopes high for an India AC game anytime soon. Also it would be kind of tiring to see the Brits again as enemies. If I was making an India AC game I'd go for the early 1500's when the Mughals were just arriving in India. That would be a good premise, or or even further back during Alexander's attempted invasion. There's no dearth of interesting period in India's history. But all this is moot now since we have a comicbook.

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Well, I'm not from India. I'm from Portugal. And, no, I don't even have any relation to India. I just happen to honestly think that India is indeed an excellent setting for an AC game.
Also, there seem to be some people here who do agree that India would be nice and, other than shobhit7777777, whose avatar clearly says that he's from India, I can't see anyone else (though some of them possibly are).

As long as it's not the British Raj it would be lovely.

Yeah well.. India got the comicbook treatment, so I won't get my hopes high for an India AC game anytime soon. Also it would be kind of tiring to see the Brits again as enemies. If I was making an India AC game I'd go for the early 1500's when the Mughals were just arriving in India. That would be a good premise, or or even further back during Alexander's attempted invasion. There's no dearth of interesting period in India's history. But all this is moot now since we have a comicbook.

For sure, there are plenty of interesting periods in India's long History. Though I honestly believe that the Raj could make for an excellent story. It involves the entire country, plus, there were, among other things, trains, which could be something pretty cool to add to the franchise. Being set in a later stage in History would also mean more iconic buildings (namely the ones built by the British).
Besides, I like the whole East-meets-West thing. Actually, as a Portuguese man, some story in the 16th century about the Portuguese in India would be pretty awesome for me (and, believe me, there were some amazing exploits and stories there), but the Portuguese mostly got involved in coastal towns, so we wouldn't get to see much, if anything, of the country's interior and northern parts, which would be a shame. Also, you just know that, if an AC set in India were to happen, it would have to have the Taj Mahal. It's just too iconic. However, it was only built in the middle of the 17th century.

Also, a game set in British India wouldn't necessarily mean having British soldiers as enemies. In fact, I'm very much against this sort of politically correct stance of presenting any European colonial power as evil, while the indigenous people are all oppressed freedom fighters. Let's face it, there were good and bad people on both sides. The British Empire, for all the exploitation it carried out and suffering it brought, also brought many good things to those territories. Why, in present day India the British legacy is extremely strong and visible, not just when it comes to infrastructures, but also in its whole system, from Government, to Law, Education, Military, language etc.. And some of the previously mentioned Indian princes, maharajas and such were some of the most vicious tyrants you could think of.
It's not black and white.

Frankly, more than being tired of having British soldiers in AC, I'm actually more tired of the black and white portrayal of events.

But again, I do agree that there are plenty of other interesting periods in India's History. I definitely wouldn't say no.

Also, the whole thing about the fact that India already got the comic book treatment being used as a reason not to make a game set in India is simply ridiculous. Really, if that's how Ubisoft thinks, then they're fools. Reading a comic book is a totally different experience from playing a videogame. It's by no means a substitute. If Ubisoft thinks that writing an AC comic book is good enough that they don't need to make a proper AC videogame with that setting, then there's something seriously wrong with their heads. What a waste of a great setting!

However, the optimist in me says that is not the case. After all, wasn't there a relatively recent interview with one of the lead developers, around the time of AC 4's launch, where he said that he, and at least some other lead developer, were really itching to make a game about the Raj? This, despite the fact that Brahman launched at around the same time of the interview (not sure exactly when, but if it hadn't already launched, at least it was already announced and written)...

So I still have hope. I don't think that this year's AC V will be it, but, who knows?, maybe in AC VI or VII...

EDIT: I definitely wouldn't want a time period before the Mughals. Just think about all of the great architecture that would be missing.

shobhit7777777
03-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Well, I'm not from India. I'm from Portugal. And, no, I don't even have any relation to India. I just happen to honestly think that India is indeed an excellent setting for an AC game.
Also, there seem to be some people here who do agree that India would be nice and, other than shobhit7777777, whose avatar clearly says that he's from India, I can't see anyone else (though some of them possibly are).

hehe

I honestly thought you were Indian...the OP made me believe so. You're very knowledgeable.

I too feel that a comic book treatment shouldn't eliminate the possibility of a game set in India...the would be stupid.

British Raj would be an interesting period. You could have a nice spectrum of targets on both the Indian and British sides. Would have to be careful though, its a touchy subject here and the game MAY get banned.

pirate1802
03-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Even I thought you were an Indian, going by your OP. :eek:

its a touchy subject here and the game MAY get banned.

True that. Infact I'm almost positive there will be some lunatic somewhere will take offense at the historical characters in the game. Thats no reason not to make em though.

alekiratu
03-03-2014, 07:45 AM
India would be great! Martial Arts and Amazing Architecture(Temples, jungle ruins, sprawling cities) and weapons( Whip Sword, Chakram). Nice write up, OP.

There is no written rule that comic books can't lead to games. Just imagine what people would have said in the past if you had told them there would be three Ezio games "Can't happen because Altair only got one!"

I've given a list of reasons here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/842046-Assassin-s-Creed-5-can-t-be-Victoria-England-and-must-be-China?p=9559014&viewfull=1#post9559014) why India is very much ahead in my list of possible settings.;)

whereisantonio
03-03-2014, 09:38 AM
This is reminding me of Constanipole's rich culture. I'd actually love to go back ACR style (in terms of the scenery) because Ubisoft did a tremendously good job with all the detail.

pacmanate
03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
I've always thought Idea would be great, the colour palette and architecture would be amazing.

But it got pushed to a comic book. Hopefully it happens because no one will see it coming.

shobhit7777777
03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
This is reminding me of Constanipole's rich culture. I'd actually love to go back ACR style (in terms of the scenery) because Ubisoft did a tremendously good job with all the detail.

Yeah

I loved Constantinople. I liked the vibrancy, the urban density and the multi-level architecture. One reason why I'm pushing for an Indian setting is so that we can experience an environment which has the same basic qualities of Constaninople but with different architecture and visuals.

I mean look at Istanbul in ACR

http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1920x1200/pantera/1215740/pantera-assassins-creed-revelations-1215740.jpg

I'd really like it they capture the same vibe and feel..of a massive, ancient city again.

alekiratu
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM

I'm pretty Ubisoft Game Director Alex Hutchinson, Writer Corey May and I are not Indian, bro. :)

"[Assassin's Creed III writer Corey May] really wants to do India," he said. "I would, too. I'd really love to do the Raj '.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ind.../1100-6370104/

AherasSTRG
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty Ubisoft Game Director Alex Hutchinson, Writer Corey May and I are not Indian, bro. :)

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ind.../1100-6370104/

Kk, you are right :rolleyes: .

shobhit7777777
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
All this talk of India made me google 'Ancient Indian cities'...and I thought I'd share this link. Beautiful stuff

Sushiglutton
03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
There are so many great potential settings that I don't expect them to run out of them in my lifetime.

pirate1802
03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
All this talk of India made me google 'Ancient Indian cities'...and I thought I'd share this link. Beautiful stuff

Looking at those pictures, and just imagining the in an AC scenario, gave me goosebumps.

Oh and I see Patna as well, in there. :D

Megas_Doux
03-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Mughal India, please.

Wolfmeister1010
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
There are so many great potential settings that I don't expect them to run out of them in my lifetime.

There are only two things that, if I think about them ending, I get really depressed and sad lol.

1. The end of Assassin's Creed.

2. The end of South Park

pirate1802
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Reminds me of a friend (he didn't like AC4) who told me since Black Flag's sales were bad :rolleyes:, AC is on its deathbed. I was like.. haha cool story bro!

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Awesome paintings and photos!
Thanks a lot for the link!
It's a nice addition to this thread, whose purpose really is to "sell" India as great setting for AC. In fact, I'll take the liberty to edit my first post and add the link to it.

Also, notice that the guy who posted those old paintings and photos (kudos to him) has a bunch of links to similar threads in his sig.
Such as this:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=638698

Gorgeous!

Ubisoft must really get to it (if they aren't already doing it)!

Dev_Anj
03-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Are you implying you don't want an Assassin's Creed set in India? :D Of course it could work if they selected the right time period and cities, but I think they really need to improve the gameplay rather than focus on the setting. Especially the combat.

Reminds me of a friend (he didn't like AC4) who told me since Black Flag's sales were bad :rolleyes:, AC is on its deathbed. I was like.. haha cool story bro!

Reminds me of Razorfist honestly, the way he spoke of Assassin's Creed 4's sales not making any records even though it sold 10 million according to Ubisoft's data( and his review of it is pretty bad by the way, it just talks about it not being a "true" Assassin's Creed game, mentions the simplistic combat for a bit, and then slams the naval gameplay as repetitive. Also, it has little to no objectivity at all, and is presented poorly with a lot of vulgar content).

alekiratu
03-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Amazing! this is what I was talking about!:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2875/019xzz000000724u0001000.jpg

It would really bring back that "exotic" Revelations feel. No shortage of things to climb either!

I get some people don't want the British as enemies again but as O-Rei-do-Frango we don't have to show them as completely evil. If you look up the 1857 rebellion, both sides (British and Indian)did some really messed up things Many Indian rulers also joined the British either to crush their foes or to save their own skins.

The British could be pulling the strings behind the scenes and we could focus on the conflicts between Sikh, Muslim and Hindu rulers. The guards will not be be solely British. In AC Brahman, Mir hates the Sikh Ruler Ranjit Singh because he was a oppressive toward the Muslims in his kingdom. If you look up the history of the area, you will see that whenever the Sikhs were in power, the Muslims got oppressed and whenever the Muslims gained power, the Sikhs got oppressed. There were other conflicts too between the diverse people of India.

So they could focus on that instead of just the British angle.

ze_topazio
03-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I don't think he meant the British were evil, they weren't evil in the previous games, they were the guards, and guards attack the Assassins, fighting redcoats is starting to get old.

alekiratu
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't think he meant the British were evil, they weren't evil in the previous games, they were the guards, and guards attack the Assassins, fighting redcoats is starting to get old.

Yeah, they are depicted pretty ambiguously in AC3. It's just that some British people feel antagonized when their country is associated with the Templars. I'm just saying that in India, various Indian rulers will also be the "Bad Guys" and you can have guards from Sikh, Muslim or Hindu kingdoms too. It will be interesting to see that the people being oppressed also have both good and bad in them.

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-04-2014, 02:26 PM

Yeah, they are depicted pretty ambiguously in AC3. It's just that some British people feel antagonized when their country is associated with the Templars. I'm just saying that in India, various Indian rulers will also be the "Bad Guys" and you can have guards from Sikh, Muslim or Hindu kingdoms too. It will be interesting to see that the people being oppressed also have both good and bad in them.

Yeah.
Actually, a game set in the Raj could easily have more Indian guards to kill than British ones. After all, the British in India were severely outnumbered, so extensive use of native forces was a necessity.

In fact, after a quick Google search, I found a couple of interesting articles related to this matter.

Here is Wikipedia's article about the aforementioned sepoys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepoy

And here's an interesting quote taken from it:

Close to ninety-six percent of the British East India Company's army of 300,000 men were native to India and these sepoys played a crucial role in securing the subcontinent for the company.

And here's a very interesting article, which shows the kind of balanced analysis of the British Raj that I'd like to see in the game, by the way. Neither good nor evil.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1298569/Britain-need-make-apology-India-Empire-.html

And here's a quote taken from it:

But these bleak facts should not obscure the fact that British rule in India was a joint effort, impossible without the widespread co- operation of Indians themselves.
Despite the country's vast population, there were never more than 70,000 British troops in India; the running of the country required an enormous infrastructure of native troops, police and bureaucrats.

And, again, as alekiratu mentioned, it's even more than just the Indian soldiers employed by the British. Let us not forget the the Indian princely states and factions who sided with the British and had their own armies. Why, during the previously mentioned Sepoy Mutiny War of 1857, for instance, even Nepal (an independent country) took part in the conflict, also siding with the British.

So, an AC game set in India during British rule would definitely not be just about fighting redcoats.

alekiratu
03-05-2014, 10:56 AM
O-Rei-do-Frango you really seem to be knowledgeable about this!:)

Yeah, Sepoys will be much more common than British Soldiers. Basically these guys:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Awan_Sepoy_(30th_Punjabis).jpg/220px-Awan_Sepoy_(30th_Punjabis).jpg

Although they were in the British East India Company's army, they were not British. This shows that it's not "White people versus Brown people" it's those who seek to control everything versus those who want freedom.

Something else:

The final spark was provided by the ammunition for the new Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle. These rifles, which fired Miniť balls, had a tighter fit than the earlier muskets, and used paper cartridges that came pre-greased. To load the rifle, sepoys had to bite the cartridge open to release the powder. The grease used on these cartridges included tallow derived from beef; which would be offensive to Hindus, or lard derived from pork; which would be offensive to Muslims.

I just felt it was interesting how this ignited the rebellion. After years of helping in the oppression, this is what brought some of the Sepoys to their senses. I just found that oddly interesting.

Mr_Shade
03-05-2014, 01:02 PM
FYI I'm going to start locking these leak and theory threads.. since they are getting out of hand and we do have existing threads for this type of thing.

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
O-Rei-do-Frango you really seem to be knowledgeable about this!
Hehe... Thanks, but I'm far from an expert. I've just been reading up quite a bit on India over the last few months (and that's when it occurred to me just how great India would be for an AC game), but I have nothing more than a general knowledge about it. The rest... well... Google is my friend. :p

FYI I'm going to start locking these leak and theory threads.. since they are getting out of hand and we do have existing threads for this type of thing.
I certainly agree with that.

However, I fail to see how this thread in particular is a leak and theory thread...
This has nothing to do about any leaks or any theory regarding AC V or any other AC. I have no idea where AC V, or any other future ACs will be set.

This thread is, quite simply, a case for India as a great setting for a future AC game and how I would certainly like to see it someday.

As you can see from the OP, there's nothing about leaks and theories. It's only "here's why India would be great for an AC game."
That's it.

Plus, after 4 pages, the thread hasn't even derailed into leak and theory territory. In fact, I feel that there has mostly been a nice discussion about the pros and cons of a game set in India, and, most specifically, in the British Raj.

jdowny
03-05-2014, 03:00 PM
However, I fail to see how this thread in particular is a leak and theory thread...
This has nothing to do about any leaks or any theory regarding AC V or any other AC. I have no idea where AC V, or any other future ACs will be set.

This thread is, quite simply, a case for India as a great setting for a future AC game and how I would certainly like to see it someday.

I agree. This is actually one of the more structured and sensible topics I've seen recently. It's not claiming that India is the setting for the next game, but simply a case for why it could/should be. By all means shut down the threads that claim to be leaks because there are literally hundreds of them, but this is discussion based on tangible ideas instead of flimsy evidence.

But to the case of India - I've got to admit, there's a lot more to the setting and subject than I had realised. The architecture is incredible, employing a mix of Islamic and Far Eastern. It's got the history too - Delhi for instance is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in India. I guess the hypothetical question would be when to set it.

I agree with some of the others - even though the British were hardly there so to speak, I'd still love to see an earlier era, perhaps one around the time of the Mongol Tamerlane/Timur and his rampage through India. I know they've covered the Mongols (sort of) with the story of Altair and Qulan Gal taking down Ghengis Khan, but this is almost two centuries later. I'm sure they could work in a PoE in there somewhere.

Though come to think of it, I'd actually like to play a game where these PoE are hardly present at all. They've kind of dominated the stories in the past, and I actually found the story of AC III (regardless of its faults) to be quite refreshing, because it focused solely on the Assassins v Templar doctrines in some detail.

GrubbierSnow85
03-05-2014, 04:49 PM

:eek: LOL

Mr_Shade
03-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Guys,

We have seen a rise in these types of threads, and fun as they are - you need to start using existing threads.

We have some already set up - so a quick search would find them - or use these links..

Future AC titles (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/758424)

'leaks and theories about future titles go here!' (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/844075-Leaks-and-theories-about-future-titles-go-here!)