PDA

View Full Version : Parrot Add ons/DLC

Naiminia
03-02-2014, 03:08 PM
After getting acquainted with AC4 Ive noticed a lack of things usually associated with pirates such as peg legs, hook hands, and most importantly parrots.
Im aware that the creators wanted to keep the game free of so called cliches, but history tells us that pirates who sailed the Mediterranean sea would catch and keep parrots, as an exotic bird was worth a lot of money in other parts of the world. Also a parrot could be used to bribe officials.
Regarding peg legs and hook hands it was common practice to replace lost limbs whit these items, as they were the prosthetics used at the time. A pirate wounded at sea could easily catch an infection, and if it spread hed have no choice but to have the limb removed and replaced with a hook hand or peg leg.
In other words- To have peg legs, hook hands and parrots in the game would not be cliche at all. It would in fact be an accurate depiction of the life of a pirate.
Besides, the pirates in the game trade rum. Is that not a cliche?

Were not asking that you incorporate both peg legs and hook hands in the game. We just want parrots!

jdowny
03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
First of all, there are parrots in the game. But in cages, where they would have been, not on the shoulders of pirates.

Secondly, while historical uses peglegs, hooks and other implements have been recorded, these cases are surprisingly rare and were limited mostly to men of means or high positions of leadership. If you're an average sailor, your livelihood depends on your health. If you lose a hand, leg, or any other part of your body, your uses diminish considerably. No captain is likely to employ you as a sailor.

I'm personally glad they steered away from these cliches.

And no, trading in rum is not a cliche. That happened. A lot. Among other commodities such as sugar, spices, tea, coffee and anything else that was of value.

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Lol
I keep telling people, AC:IV is barely a pirate game. You'd have to be delusional to call it any less of an Assassin's Creed game than the rest. :p

Dome500
03-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Lol
I keep telling people, AC:IV is barely a pirate game. You'd have to be delusional to call it any less of an Assassin's Creed game than the rest. :p

And what of the above makes it less of a pirate game? Please, elaborate.

Because the way I see it, even without all the cliches, it manages to deliver what the live or a REAL pirate was about.

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
And what of the above makes it less of a pirate game? Please, elaborate.

Because the way I see it, even without all the cliches, it manages to deliver what the live or a REAL pirate was about.

Real pirates, yes. But the Pirate's Creed game people are going on about, no. There wasn't enough references, piracy, story elements, and overarching derivatives science fiction absent of the main franchise that warrants it a pirate game instead. The theme is pirates, but the game isn't.