PDA

View Full Version : Hints, and why I hate them.

Tanyn
03-02-2014, 03:38 AM
Granted, I know that each new title in the AC franchise brings in some players that haven't played the series before. Let's face it though, the vast majority of us have at LEAST played one other AC title, and there are many thousands such as myself, who have been with it since Altair. That said, if I'm in sequence 12, with a fully upgraded jackdaw ... i should not be receiving constant, random, and intrusive hints telling me to "Visit a Harbormaster to upgrade the Jackdaw to take down bigger ships" ... There comes a point when the hints should just stop showing up, the game's programming should find some way of saying "Ok, this guy obviously knows how to do this, so let's not flood his screen with crap he already knows about." ... Just my two cents.

LoyalACFan
03-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Yeah, they're really annoying. My personal "favorite" is the one that pops up and informs me how to pull off a double assassination while my blades are currently IN TWO GUYS' NECKS AS WE FREAKING SPEAK :nonchalance:

You can turn them off in the options menu, but that disables your fleet convoy notifications too, which sucks.

jdowny
03-02-2014, 01:42 PM
I think this ties in with a similar topic about greater customisation controls for the HUD. As you say, turning off the updates gets rid of the hints but also gets rid of other important updates. Similarly, there's another control (perhaps the SSI) which turns off a lot of unnecessary clutter on the HUD but stops you knowing what you've just looted from a chest or body.

O-Rei-do-Frango
03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
There's definitely way too much hand-holding in these games. It's kind of insulting, really.

Dome500
03-02-2014, 02:47 PM
I think this ties in with a similar topic about greater customisation controls for the HUD. As you say, turning off the updates gets rid of the hints but also gets rid of other important updates. Similarly, there's another control (perhaps the SSI) which turns off a lot of unnecessary clutter on the HUD but stops you knowing what you've just looted from a chest or body.

Agreed.

HUD / UI customization is something that is always cool and increases immersion for the individual player.

Pandassin
03-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I wish they had more options for HUD Elements. I'm currently playing with all HUD off except for updates, which is annoying because I want rid of the hints, but I want to be updated on things such as social events. I mean, I've played many, many hours on this game, I think by now I would know how to whistle in a bush or that I need air barrels to breathe underwater. There needs to be more HUD options.

Sushiglutton
03-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Yeah they really need to go over HUD customization options because in its current state there's a lot of annoying overlaps. Just as I described about the SSI in another thread this is also an example of when it's very likely that players want parts of what the hint option offers, but not the whole thing.

IWGCJoeCool
03-04-2014, 01:41 AM
yeh, it's a shame...with like a dozen individual things to enable/disable, it still cant be optimized. i run only the GPS now, for the compass, North reading, but i could do without that most of the time, with a simple transparant-ish compass. and yeh, it would be nice to see what i just looted from a dead soldier...if i run my darts and stuff low, you have to hit the D-Pad to check levels, and it tends to break the immersive quality of not using HUD elements.