PDA

View Full Version : Moving parkour objects

SixKeys
03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
One of the most impressive feats in AC4, from a technical standpoint, was the ability to jump onto a moving ship's mast while boarding. There was a dev diary video that showed just how complex such a system has to be, having many moving parts, all of which have to be climbable. When you're boarding a moving ship and viewing the whole scene from above, it's really impressive.

This technology opens up whole new ideas for the parkour. In AC4 boarding was still sometimes clumsy, but it was the first game that made use of the system and I'm sure future games will be able to improve upon it. Imagine something like Ezio parkouring across the burning harbor in ACR, except all those ships wouldn't be stationary but moving, and you wouldn't have just one set path but freedom to choose your own.

Or something like chasing a target's carriage across busy Victorian London streets (for example) and you would have to hop between several different carriages to reach your target at the end of the line. If you missed a jump and the cart you were on started moving in the wrong direction, you would have to think fast to swing onto a nearby street lamp and land on top of a different carriage.

Imagine if Desmond had ever gotten a scene where he had to chase Vidic or Cross down the streets of New York, jumping from car to car.

I think this could add something new to the parkour, occasionally forcing you to think fast and vary your approach. What do you think?

Iceternal6
03-01-2014, 07:05 PM
One of the most impressive feats in AC4, from a technical standpoint, was the ability to jump onto a moving ship's mast while boarding. There was a dev diary video that showed just how complex such a system has to be, having many moving parts, all of which have to be climbable. When you're boarding a moving ship and viewing the whole scene from above, it's really impressive.

This technology opens up whole new ideas for the parkour. In AC4 boarding was still sometimes clumsy, but it was the first game that made use of the system and I'm sure future games will be able to improve upon it. Imagine something like Ezio parkouring across the burning harbor in ACR, except all those ships wouldn't be stationary but moving, and you wouldn't have just one set path but freedom to choose your own.

Or something like chasing a target's carriage across busy Victorian London streets (for example) and you would have to hop between several different carriages to reach your target at the end of the line. If you missed a jump and the cart you were on started moving in the wrong direction, you would have to think fast to swing onto a nearby street lamp and land on top of a different carriage.

Imagine if Desmond had ever gotten a scene where he had to chase Vidic or Cross down the streets of New York, jumping from car to car.

I think this could add something new to the parkour, occasionally forcing you to think fast and vary your approach. What do you think?

Interesting, but it would work only in setpieces and not regular gameplay... Not sure the devs would bother with it then.

mou119
03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
In the Ezio games you could jump from the góndolas to the dock while they were moving. You could also freerun on elevated wooden planks and other structures that moved...

Sushiglutton
03-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I would love more moving objects. That would mean that there would be some estimation from the player even if the system is automatic at its core, which would be nice. They have had big wheels that rotates for a while. For example there is one in the beginning of Revelation. That sort of thing would make a lot of sense in the Industrial Revolution Era.

It would also be a way to reinvent the Tombs which have grown a bit stale imo. Pretty sure I saw some animation concepts about moving objects for AC3 with procedural animations so Connors body reacted naturally to them, which was pretty neat.

GunnerGalactico
03-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't know about everyone else, I'm open to the idea. It would be something like Mirror's Edge, but everything will be interactive. You'd have to think on the fly and react quickly.

The only thing that worries me is that the parkour might not be as fluid.

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
In the Ezio games you could jump from the góndolas to the dock while they were moving. You could also freerun on elevated wooden planks and other structures that moved...

The moving gondolas were broken and often glitchy. AC:IV happens to be the only AC that makes it work without being heavily scripted.

Dome500
03-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't know about everyone else, I'm open to the idea. It would be something like Mirror's Edge, but everything will be interactive. You'd have to think on the fly and react quickly.

The only thing that worries me is that the parkour might not be as fluid.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing they can work on for the future. Might make (based on location) for some interesting systemic parkour elements.

Kagurra
03-02-2014, 12:33 AM
What about that old AC3 gameplay before they changed Connor's outfit where he ran across a river using a moving log and a dead redcoat? That was cool AF. There were also like 10x more brances to run on. Would've been super realistic. Not the speed, but the trees themselves. Connor parkoured way too fast in that build.

ACfan443
03-02-2014, 12:41 AM
What about that old AC3 gameplay before they changed Connor's outfit where he ran across a river using a moving log and a dead redcoat? That was cool AF. There were also like 10x more brances to run on. Would've been super realistic. Not the speed, but the trees themselves. Connor parkoured way too fast in that build.

The target footage looked amazing, the moving logs was a great application of an upgraded navigation system, shame it wasn't actually in game.

SixKeys
03-02-2014, 02:21 AM
The target footage looked amazing, the moving logs was a great application of an ungraded navigation system, shame it wasn't actually in game.

Moving logs/floating things would be a great use of the system. Too bad it'd require another Frontier-type open woods setting.

While jumping on the corpses of dead guards was kind of funny in the target demo, it's not very realistic. They would sink under the assassin's weight immediately. I'm kinda glad they took it out.

ACfan443
03-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Moving logs/floating things would be a great use of the system. Too bad it'd require another Frontier-type open woods setting.

While jumping on the corpses of dead guards was kind of funny in the target demo, it's not very realistic. They would sink under the assassin's weight immediately. I'm kinda glad they took it out.

Or perhaps they couldn't implement it properly? The moving logs free running looked like a cool little feature, it doesn't have to be limited to logs in a frontier type setting though, there's a whole load of junk you could have floating in a river. But I agree about the corpse thing, it does seem funny now that you mention it.

This dynamic free running system could be used during fast moments similar to Tomb Raider's (slightly drawn out) cinematic sequences (and the idea you described in the OP) where the player is encouraged to act quickly while assessing the surroundings (like TR's river/plane sequence), the addition of moving parts would make it infinitely more interesting and challenging.