PDA

View Full Version : Optional Objectives

YazX_
02-28-2014, 10:54 AM
in short why Ubisoft changed the behavior to not show the failed ones, most of times i forget what i should do, so if you failed to do one of them , it just disappears!!

in earlier ACs, it used to show notification when you fail to do the required objective as well as showing red X in progress tracker. now if you failed to do one of them and forgot what is required, you will continue till the end of the memory thinking you are 100% sync losing the ability to reload from last checkpoint and taken by surprise that you have failed, and yet you have to repeat the memory from scratch.

it will be great if Ubisoft can patch this and show instant notification and progress tracker indication that you failed, similar to previous ACs.

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2014, 11:37 AM
They made it like that so the optional objectives wouldn't be too apparent for casual players. TBH, I think they should just get rid of optional objectives in general. It causes more frustration and nuisance than an enjoyable challenge.

The most I can do is recommend you check the start menu if you're not sure whether you've failed it or not. If you failed it, the optional objective won't appear on the menu.

guidomista
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
They made it like that so the optional objectives wouldn't be too apparent for casual players. TBH, I think they should just get rid of optional objectives in general. It causes more frustration and nuisance than an enjoyable challenge.

no, man...
They made last 2 AC way too easy...
If you remove the only difficult thing...
I remember a couple of missions in previous chapters were very frustrating (damn Cappadocia!), but I prefear more challenge than an easy game.
Easy game is boring. Always.
And you can always finish only the story even if you are a casual player, without syncronizing it 100%.

bye

YazX_
02-28-2014, 07:42 PM

The most I can do is recommend you check the start menu if you're not sure whether you've failed it or not. If you failed it, the optional objective won't appear on the menu.

without optional objectives, the game will become linear, in my opinion AC2 had none and it was great but ACB provided better experience to get 100% sync with these optional objectives, the game become alot better with 100% sync and these objectives. i only hate "Dont get into open conflict" and "Dont kill anyone" objectives as they are kinda telling you how to play, but those can be shaped better in the future especially with the rating system they put for each mission. anyway, casual players wouldnt even care getting 100%, so it wont do any harm if it stayed the way it was.

i know how to check them and already finished the game 100% sync including achievements and challenges, but if you have multi-objectives and failed to do one of them, even if you checked it out, you will only see the ones you havent failed and continue thinking you are 100% in-sync and in reality you are not, if we have the same notification like previous ACs and to be more precise ill pick AC3, then you would instantly know and just reload last check point to repeat the action again, but now you wouldnt even know.

IMO, AC3 had the best behavior among all ACs for those objective, i would just hope this thread would reach the devs and it get patched as i always play the game more than once, so i dont want to get back to the same point as my first playthrough.

rcole_sooner
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
They made it like that so the optional objectives wouldn't be too apparent for casual players.

They have succeeded. My first AC was AC4 and now I am playing AC3 ... and I still am surprised when I find new optional objectives were added at some time during the mission.

I guess the idea is I can go back and replay the mission to get the FC (or is that FS here on the AC forum? lol ).

Just last night I was supposed to throw some redcoats in the ocean and air musket assassinate one. "Arg! When was that added." LOL!

Oh yeah, and before that I was supposed to swan dive as an escape. "What?" That would have been pretty cool, I think I will replay that just to see it. :D

Ureh
02-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Some of the optional objectives are kind of constraining (ex: finishing something within a certain time, or following a certain path, killing a target in a certain way). I actually prefer AC1 (and a tiny bit of AC2) when it comes to the freedom of approach. They tell you where to go, but leave it up to us on how to execute the mission. Still, as long as the optional objectives are strictly optional and we can complete the missions in any way possible, I'm totally fine with them staying.

One of the optional objectives that bothered me was the Tank mission in ACB (don't receive damage while in the tank). But Ezio has dialogue when damage is inflicted and when the final cutscene begins you can tell the tank suffered quite a bit of damage. I think Rebecca just put that objective in there to torture us. :eek::p

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
They have succeeded. My first AC was AC4 and now I am playing AC3 ... and I still am surprised when I find new optional objectives were added at some time during the mission.

I guess the idea is I can go back and replay the mission to get the FC (or is that FS here on the AC forum? lol ).

Just last night I was supposed to throw some redcoats in the ocean and air musket assassinate one. "Arg! When was that added." LOL!

Oh yeah, and before that I was supposed to swan dive as an escape. "What?" That would have been pretty cool, I think I will replay that just to see it. :D

Yeah, they can add a lot of replay value, but the thing is-- most players don't do replays. It's either they complete it then, or make a complaint. The problem with side objectives however, are that they don't allow for freedom. It makes the players feel like they're restricted to only a few handful tools and a certain path which makes missions feel more linear than they're suppose to be; ex: AC:3.

I can swallow them now considering the fact that we have checkpoints and the objectives are set at a minimum, but during AC:B & AC:R where you have to go through the entire mission from beginning to end without screwing up-- it can be very frustrating.

playlisting
03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Optional objectives currently are annoying and force the player to do the mission a certain way. It would be fine if they were only in a few missions but having them on every mission is unneeded. They should make us do the mission the most logical way. The way that the person we're playing as would have done it. For example if we're infiltrating a fort to kill a target, then we should have a single optional objective: Do not be detected. Not stuff like: Kill 5 guards in a hanging position. That is too restrictive and doesn't allow the player to play how he/she wants to. They shouldn't remove them altogether, just only use them in a few missions where it would make sense.