PDA

View Full Version : AC 5 has to be london...it has to be

Radman500
02-26-2014, 10:31 PM
the original poster that leaked the press release was forced to delete it on these forums

the survey they did a few years ago, had victorian london winning

it sounds like the most legitimate rumour now

my head is spinning i need confirmation i can't take the wait....

MasterAssasin84
02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
You could be right but i am not saying anything until it is official ! personally for me i think Russia has a very good chance but then again i could be very wrong.

To be honest i would rather see Russia than London because to be fair coming from someone living in London your often saturated with Victoria/Industrial era History and it tends to get quite boring but the flip side of that i would not mind wondering the streets of the city like Liverpool Street, Bank and Moorgate in an Assassins Creed game and looking at all the familiar sights but if you ask me i would prefer Russia or even China .

Before we get excited UBI could total shock and come out with something different .

( Ignore the bold writing at the top of my post i have no idea were that come from :confused:

DumbGamerTag94
02-26-2014, 11:07 PM
This is exactly what I've been saying. I too would like to see the city of London at that time recreated in a game, but on the flip side of that coin you have people FROM London that say that that period is rather dull and boring. That's the only reason I've never been keen on this particular setting. Now Tudor London, or English Civil war then my interest is peaked but as things stand on this setting theory it seems rather uneventful so I still feel the best I can say is "Meh....I dunno....maybe it'd be cool to see....but....ehhh"

egriffin09
02-26-2014, 11:21 PM
I just hope it's a really interesting setting with really tall architecture. I don't mind London or Russia. Although, I would love China or France. Just go anywhere with great cities, no more organic settings, I had enough of that in AC IV:BF (I loved AC IV btw).

The only settings that would dissappoint me are:
-Wild west
-World War I and II
-Civil War

Give me London, Russia, China, or France and I will be happy.

DumbGamerTag94
02-26-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm really open to anything just so long as its interesting historically. I don't even care that much about visually if the story or history is really exciting. And I agree that we need a less organic setting the wildernesses of AC3 and 4 would get a little tired after more than two games in a row. I'm hoping for a more urban assassin this time.

Dome500
02-26-2014, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind China either.

Check out those fanarts :cool:
(sorry for the huge space needed)

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uBh9C.jpg

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Sayl2.jpg

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LWPTO.jpg

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/lciV5.jpg

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CPHOg.jpg

Source: More Images There (http://www.google.de/imgres?client=firefox-nightly&hs=JQ9&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&channel=sb&biw=1680&bih=892&tbm=isch&tbnid=KqyK7C8U-4J11M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgamingbolt.com%2Fthis-is-how-assassins-creed-4-will-look-if-it-is-set-in-china&docid=ARNa78OF9yRuXM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgamingbolt.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2FSayl2.jpg&w=1024&h=611&ei=emwOU5eiFoeotAab9IHwDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=267&page=4&start=95&ndsp=32&ved=0CIQDEK0DMGA)

ArabianFrost
02-26-2014, 11:59 PM
I never understood the argument "It's not interesting enough of a time period"

Why do you need some sort of major event to act as a background. Wasn't that one of AC3's biggest flaw to begin with? The events started to become the plot as opposed to a context. The only AC game which had major events in the background done correctly was AC1, but other than that, AC games rarely ever had eras as a great contributors to the narrative of the game. What happened during the time periods merely adds a bit of background and context to an extent. Don't treat anymore than that. It's the location that matters most.

...also, please stop the China fanart :( it hurts. There is nothing I wish for more than that game. I really hope AC doesn't end before this setting happens. It needs to happen. Please make it happen. Happen. Please. And make it perfect. Take time with it. Please.

egriffin09
02-27-2014, 12:04 AM
China would be too awesome.

Reptilis91
02-27-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't understand why everybody is talking about London. First, the press release have mistakes, and it could have been removed by the author himeself. And it comes from the AC4 press release. Anyone can do it, anyone.
Plus, the picture seems to be a fake. We can't see the whole artwork, the guy focused on the title. The V is not correctly centered, and the background is blurred as hell. This is surely not a "poster". It's like Great Fall but with a cool and empty bakcground. With a real poster, we would be currently admiring an Assassin. But there is nothing, nothing but the title.

And Darby McDevitt about Russia, 3 months ago : "This would be cool. I have a friend from St. Petersburg and she talks fondly of it. However, we already did Orelov's story in the comic books, so we would be unlikely to go there with a game so soon after. But maybe one day!"

Dome500
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM
And Darby McDevitt about Russia, 3 months ago : "This would be cool. I have a friend from St. Petersburg and she talks fondly of it. However, we already did Orelov's story in the comic books, so we would be unlikely to go there with a game so soon after. But maybe one day!"

Pretty much this.

I think Russia can be ruled out.
Same goes for Japan now.

England, China, France. (maybe Egypt).

Those are the ones most likely.

ACLexter
02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
those building in china looka amazing to be a playground.

I miss running on the roof top. I actually dont enjoy or spend my time
running on the roof time on AC 3 or AC4. i dont know why. not like on AC1 and AC2, I explore the city mostly roof top.

ze_topazio
02-27-2014, 12:35 AM
Lisbon would be better.

DumbGamerTag94
02-27-2014, 01:10 AM
I never understood the argument "It's not interesting enough of a time period"

Why do you need some sort of major event to act as a background. Wasn't that one of AC3's biggest flaw to begin with? The events started to become the plot as opposed to a context. The only AC game which had major events in the background done correctly was AC1, but other than that, AC games rarely ever had eras as a great contributors to the narrative of the game. What happened during the time periods merely adds a bit of background and context to an extent. Don't treat anymore than that. It's the location that matters most.

...also, please stop the China fanart :( it hurts. There is nothing I wish for more than that game. I really hope AC doesn't end before this setting happens. It needs to happen. Please make it happen. Happen. Please. And make it perfect. Take time with it. Please.

AC3s biggest problem wasn't the fact that there were major events going on. The biggest problem was that Connor was an active participant in every single one of them. Most people don't mind that he was at bunker hill, or valley forge(these are not too outrageous), but he also fights in the battle of the Chesapeake, and is present for 2 of the constitutional conventions, Paul Revere's ride(for no particular reason(he even shares a horse with him) that's a bit much). The general consensus on AC3 isn't that the Revolution was bad but it WAS bad that Connor was over exposed to it and far too prominent....he is literally at EVERY SINGLE major event of the revolution. What is a Native American from New England doing in Philadelphia in 1776? Why does he have to fight a naval battle in the Chesapeake Bay near Virginia when he lives in New England there's no target there, the only reason he was there was to cram in history that didn't fit the story. That kind of thing is what people disliked about AC3 there was just a ridiculous and downright unbelievable number of major events that Connor had a front row seat to without much of a reason to be there, he was basically a one man army.

As for the rest of the series I don't have any idea what you are talking about AC2 is abundant with major events that shape the plot (pazzi conspiracy, Battle of Forli, Bonfire of the Vanities, and others). Brotherhood(The Borgias and the wars of the Papal armies of that time dictate the entire plot, and the battle at the end Navarre(I think) was a real event we were forced into because the plot was dictated by it(Chesare died there)) Revelations the plot is shaped by the Civil infighting of the Ottoman Princes, and the tension of the native Byzantines with the Ottomans. And AC1 was just as guilty the plot is dictated entirely by the Crusades(One of the BIGGEST events of Medieval Europe and the Mid East) you spend the entire game hunting down weapons dealers, politicians, slavers, soldiers, etc that are allowing for the continued violence. The Crusades are not merely a backdrop because the only event was the battle of Arsuf, the entire story and all of the tensions and targets, are dictated by the Crusades far from only being a backdrop. The Mid East of AC1 wasn't as event heavy as the rest at least it was a location with a very big event going on (the Crusades) so nobody could argue that it would be a boring setting.

I have no idea what series you played, but the entire series is set in places that had MAJOR events occurring there. AC does not just use history as a backdrop it always shapes the story since the beginning, some games did do a better job at the believability and practicality of participating in events however.

LoyalACFan
02-27-2014, 01:15 AM
I just hope it's a really interesting setting with really tall architecture. I don't mind London or Russia. Although, I would love China or France. Just go anywhere with great cities, no more organic settings, I had enough of that in AC IV:BF (I loved AC IV btw).

The only settings that would dissappoint me are:
-Wild west
-World War I and II
-Civil War

Give me London, Russia, China, or France and I will be happy.

I would like to hug you for this post.

Dome500
02-27-2014, 01:26 AM
I would like to hug you for this post.

Me too.

Would be my choice as well for "disappointing" settings.

ArabianFrost
02-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Guess I need to study my history.

My point somewhat remains though. Can't the game have events of its own that act as a plot? Does it have to be some documented piece of history? The industrial revolution can act as background. The game can create its own events and life moves on. If I played through the entirety of the series not knowing that these were historical events, does it actually matter for Ubisoft to insert historical events into the plot. I don't mind historical events being in the game, but it's not like I wait for AC to show me them.

DumbGamerTag94
02-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Me too.

Would be my choice as well for "disappointing" settings.

Agreed, but only for the time being really. I feel we need something fresh, new place, new time, for AC5. Yet I wouldn't rule out any of those for a future installment(except the Wild West that one wouldn't exactly be a perfect setting but still could be somewhat cool if done right but I wouldn't be very excited for it, and WW2 shouldn't be considered at all its both overdone and full of automatic weapons).

We need something different for AC5.

DumbGamerTag94
02-27-2014, 01:45 AM

My point somewhat remains though. Can't the game have events of its own that act as a plot? Does it have to be some documented piece of history? The industrial revolution can act as background. The game can create its own events and life moves on. If I played through the entirety of the series not knowing that these were historical events, does it actually matter for Ubisoft to insert historical events into the plot. I don't mind historical events being in the game, but it's not like I wait for AC to show me them.

I understand your point but that just wouldn't be AC that is more of a Red Dead or Call of Duty Black Ops formula. They take actual historical periods and create events that never occurred. With AC you have to bring the period to life by meeting people like Leonardo Da Vinci and King Richard, when you introduce a figure like that you become more tied to them for your story which means you end up in an event or two that that person was involved in.

Where AC needs to work on things is creating a realistic sense of plausibility when you do encounter these events, we had this in all but AC3 which took it just too far that it was noticeable. They need to tie the story in better without obligating themselves to force their narrative there. If there's no reason for the Assassin to be there we just shouldn't go. They did a fairly good job of remedying this in AC4 and I think we will probably see that trend continued to avoid another AC3.

Sorry for the lecture but its just more of a writing and scripting problem than a problem with the settings or historic events themselves.

Dome500
02-27-2014, 01:46 AM

Agreed.

AC1 did absolutely fine, especially since the atmosphere, mystery and story of this game was it's shining point (aside from the visuals).
And AC1 had only 1 or 2 historical events you were actually engaged in and also only had a handful of known historical characters.
And yet it still managed to lay the foundation for this franchise and be a good, although a little bit linear on the gameplay side of things, game.

I don't always see the reason for big events like wars or revolutions going on.
AC4 did fine with the Golden Age of Piracy. And one can also say that there were only a few events that you can actually point your finger at and that the more interesting thing was rather the era and not any particular event or war.
The time period should actually only be the background anyway, having 1 or 2 big parts in the game where it shines, but aside from that being the background, adding culture, music, atmosphere. That is what should be conveyed. "That is what it felt in that era, how the streets looked, the houses were build, how the people talked, which traditions were common and how the weather was in that location, what the dangers were and how the people on the street felt, what problems there were, etc.

A rich background for a good story. That is what the era should be IMO.
You can involve the events of the era and it's problems with the story of the protagonist, but you need to find a balance between the foreground protagonist story and the background historical era.