PDA

View Full Version : is Altair the most important/influential assassin of the Order's history

Radman500
02-26-2014, 02:02 AM
would you say he is the most influential.., (it would obviously be the founder of the order, but we dont know who that was)

would you say their is any assassin before or after him that has had the same impact as him...

wasn't it Altair that helped keep the order alive and to continue.....

in terms of accomplishments...does Ezio, Edward, Connor, Adewale or any other assassin compete with him

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Yes.

TBH our protagonists have been getting less and less influential as the series has gone on :p

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 03:34 AM
This is a matter of perspective and personal preference, opinions and is totally subjective.

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 03:37 AM
This is a matter of perspective and personal preference, opinions and is totally subjective.

Connor will always be my favourite by far.

It's not a matter of favorites, but which one had more lasting influence in the canon. And in that respect, I don't really think it's debatable that the sequence goes Altair>Ezio>Connor>Edward. At least from what we've seen of them; Connor and Edward are still subject to change if we ever find out what they did in their later lives.

Wolfmeister1010
02-26-2014, 03:43 AM
Connor is my favorite, but there is no arguing that Altair was by far the most important assassin.

stomp19
02-26-2014, 03:44 AM

Connor will always be my favourite by far.

you're like a broken record you know that? no one said anything about favorites jesus

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 03:44 AM
It's not a matter of favorites, but which one had more lasting influence in the canon. And in that respect, I don't really think it's debatable that the sequence goes Altair>Ezio>Connor>Edward. At least from what we've seen of them; Connor and Edward are still subject to change if we ever find out what they did in their later lives.
Opinions will most likely outweigh what may appear as factual information, in threads like these. As time has progressed we have had Assassins in these games that have been more iconic than AC1 Don't get me wrong I enjoyed AC1, but you have to admit the AC games have got so much better, over the years.

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 03:49 AM
you're like a broken record you know that? no one said anything about favorites jesus
First time I've interacted with you.. so Welcome to the forums.

I'm not a broken record lol, I was just trying to make a statement.. I'll retract it, if it really bothers you that much. Which it shouldn't.

Done. :)

dbzk1999
02-26-2014, 03:55 AM
It doesn't matter if they're more iconic what matters is the way they impacted the brotherhood and Altair has done the most BY FAR
Not talking abou the gameplay or personality or past but more of what they did to the brotherhood
Besides it's asking if he is the most influential

Dome500
02-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Opinions will most likely outweigh what may appear as factual information, in threads like these. As time has progressed we have had Assassins in these games that have been more iconic than AC1 Don't get me wrong I enjoyed AC1, but you have to admit the AC games have got so much better, over the years.

Which game was the best does not in the least have anything to do with the question which Assassin had the most influence and importance on the Assassin Order in general, which is still Altair, no matter your favorite character, game or story.

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 04:02 AM
Which game was the best does not in the least have anything to do with the question which Assassin had the most influence and importance on the Assassin Order in general, which is still Altair, no matter your favorite character, game or story.
Altair's influence and importance was iconic no denying that, what I am trying to say is that we haven't seen any of Altair's teachings or influence after Revelations which is sad because a role such as Altair's influenced AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations. It would have been interesting if Altair was mentioned after Revelations.

Assassin_M
02-26-2014, 04:04 AM
Yeah, it really has nothing to do with opinions or who's more iconic or who's game was better. Altair is, so far, the most influential Assassin we've met...followed by Ezio.

The Jury is still off on Connor, I'd say Edward is the least influential in a bag of HUGELY influential individuals...

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 04:06 AM
Yeah, it really has nothing to do with opinions or who's more iconic or who's game was better. Altair is, so far, the most influential Assassin we've met...followed by Ezio.

The Jury is still off on Connor, I'd say Edward is the least influential in a bag of HUGELY influential individuals...

Edward was actually detrimental, lol.

Assassin_M
02-26-2014, 04:07 AM
It would have been interesting if Altair was mentioned after Revelations.
He actually was. Ah Tabai mentions him when Edward offers his mansion to the Assassins.

dbzk1999
02-26-2014, 04:07 AM
I understand what you mean woman but it doesn't matter because they did technically show it through the codex
Yeah I wish he was mentioned after revelations but ALL of us know what Altair has done
It's not about his appearances in the games it's about what he did during those appearances
But I see what you mean though

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 04:08 AM
Altair's influence and importance was iconic no denying that, what I am trying to say is that we haven't seen any of Altair's teachings or influence after Revelations which is sad because a role such as Altair's influenced AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations. It would have been interesting if Altair was mentioned after Revelations.

Altair's big move was spreading the Assassins' teachings across the globe... so technically yeah, we have seen his influence in every game.

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Also just wanted to mention- This thread is a healthy discussion, all I'm doing is throwing a curveballs out there. :)

adventurewomen
02-26-2014, 04:20 AM
I understand what you mean woman but it doesn't matter because they did technically show it through the codex
Yeah I wish he was mentioned after revelations but ALL of us know what Altair has done
It's not about his appearances in the games it's about what he did during those appearances
But I see what you mean though
Thanks for understanding what I mean. :)

It was sad the codex was destroyed in Brotherhood, because only Ezio saw the knowledge that the codex possesed. It would have been awesome if the Codex survived and still was used and seen by Assassins, that way we would still have a link to Altair even mention him more frequently in the games after Revelations.

I agree it's more about actions, and lasting impressions on the Assassin Order.

Altair's big move was spreading the Assassins' teachings across the globe... so technically yeah, we have seen his influence in every game.
Well of course, but to new/casual gamers Altair's influence is overlooked because they might not know about Altair because they may have not played AC1. They wouldn't know his story or his iconic influence/history he has on the Assassin Order.

He actually was. Ah Tabai mentions him when Edward offers his mansion to the Assassins.
Well that was a really subtle reference then in general. It wasn't really clear and I've played AC4 a few times now :(

Will_Lucky
02-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Altair yes, through the Codex, invention of tools that the Assassins still used until at least the Russian Revolution.

And of course, most importantly he essentially founded and solidified the modern Assassin Order spreading them out across Europe and ultimately the Americas and perhaps further.

ze_topazio
02-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Altair changed the Brotherhood's organization, objectives and modus operandi and his methods are still in use today.

Ezio, apparently, had the first recorded contact with TWCB and gathered a lot of info about them, apparently before Desmond, pretty much all the Assassins knew about TWCB was based on Ezio findings.

So far this two have been the most influential.

GunnerGalactico
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
I absolutely agree that Altair is the most influential assassin of the Order's history. He left an important legacy behind, we saw that in Revelations. Altair's innovations greatly benefitted many future assassins. For example in the 12th century assassins that were ordained in the order had to show their commitment by amputating their middle finger to accommodate the hidden blade, it was because of Altair's ingenuity and innovation of redesigning the hidden blade resulted in assassins keeping all their fingers intact. He also revived the Brotherhood in Masayaf. To this day, Altair is still an iconic assassin.

Fatal-Feit
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the most influential Assassin be Desmond? Yes, I know--He's from modern day so how does that relate to the past Assassins? Well hear me out.

In AC:IV, there's a recording where Desmond talks about how when he saw through Clay's memories, he saw Minerva and Juno looking towards the future with a device, depicting which Desmond would be the right one to call out too. We know later on that Minerva changed plans, but we also know that Juno had not. Juno set everything up-- all leading back to our present day Desmond. Meaning that because of Desmond, all his ancestors, the past Assassins such as Altair, Ezio, Connor, and Edward happened because of him. His predated existence technically influenced all of the Assassins and events we've visited until now. And add all that to his sacrifice for the future of mankind.

So by default, doesn't Desmond win in thsi debate? lol

ze_topazio
02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Hard to say, you could say that was Minerva and Juno and not Desmond, I think the point of the thread was about conscious influence, TWCB messed around with the Assassins because they wanted to contact Desmond in the future but that was not Desmond direct influence, but now Desmond have uncovered lots of new information and saved the world so he may became a legendary legend in the future for the Assassins.

Fatal-Feit
02-26-2014, 02:11 PM
But we're talking about the Assassins of the order, which Desmond was one of. It may have not been direct, but whatever the case is, he still technically influenced both the past and future Assassins. But I guess I might be going a bit off-topic.

RinoTheBouncer
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Altair was the reformer. He literally re-invented everything about the brotherhood so Iím sure that his importance will never dim nor his role will be forgotten.

However, to me, Ezio is the most influential. His games were basically quality and quantity.

Connor had an important yet a very short role so I will not judge him until he has another game to expand on his story.

Edward was not an assassin, he became an assassin near the end of the game. He was more of a mercenary, a sword for plunder until the last 3 chapters. As a character, he was great but as a role, I didnít really feel like heís part of the brotherhood and thatís because of what the game portrayed. I wish they started they game near the ends of ACIV and ended it with his death.

Aveline is ok but I feel like her role wasnít really remarkable. Maybe thatís because it was a handheld console game that lately got remastered (I got both versions, by the way, yet I just couldnít feel her). I donít know, it feels like she and Adťwale had a great role yet more of a local effect than a global and fundamental one. I feel like Altair and Ezio are the ones who really did something not just for a country but for the brotherhood in general, along with Desmond who held the fate of the world in his hands.

I agree with those who said that the assassins are becoming less influential with each new game and to be perfectly honest, Assassinís Creed games are becoming more of a historical tourism and a historical GTA than a game with a story to follow. Back then from ACI to ACIII, the game felt like a thriller T.V. series that each game continued the other directly and each one had more to add to the general story arc and the annual releases really made sense cause everyoneís waiting for whatís gonna happen next. But now, itís like the whole Animus and Abstergo thing is just a context, a justification to go kill bad guys in the past, nothing of real story value.

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
But we're talking about the Assassins of the order, which Desmond was one of. It may have not been direct, but whatever the case is, he still technically influenced both the past and future Assassins. But I guess I might be going a bit off-topic.

I would agree, except the thread is about their influence on the Assassin Brotherhood, specifically. Desmond was the ultimate manifestation of the TWCB's will and he basically saved the world, but as far as influencing the Brotherhood goes, he didn't do jack.