PDA

View Full Version : Splitting SSI suggestion

Sushiglutton
02-24-2014, 12:46 PM
This is a bit boring stuff, but maybe the mods can pass it forward ;).

Anyway the SSI is one of the things you can toggle on and off for the HUD. The problem is that it is too broad. The SSI encompasses:

Button prompts (B to interact with the Jackdaw's wheel, courtesans etc).
Icons in the world (example courtesans, pirates you can hire etc).
Icons above soldier's heads showing their awareness and when they are about to attack.
Information on what you find when you loot/open a chest.

I wanted a slightly more challenging game so I turned the SSI off to get rid of the icons above guard's heads. The problem with that is (4). I played through AC4:BF without knowing what was in a single chest! I think the categories don't match in the sense that it's very reasonable for someone to want to have some of these things turned off and some turned on. Therefore it would be a good idea to split the SSI into subcategories. For example 1+2 could be combined and then have 3 and 4 as seperate. Please consider this as it would be a great help for us who like to play with less HUD!

MasterAssasin84
02-24-2014, 02:15 PM
This is a bit boring stuff, but maybe the mods can pass it forward ;).

Anyway the SSI is one of the things you can toggle on and off for the HUD. The problem is that it is too broad. The SSI encompasses:

Button prompts (B to interact with the Jackdaw's wheel, courtesans etc).
Icons in the world (example courtesans, pirates you can hire etc).
Icons above soldier's heads showing their awareness and when they are about to attack.
Information on what you find when you loot/open a chest.

I wanted a slightly more challenging game so I turned the SSI off to get rid of the icons above guard's heads. The problem with that is (4). I played through AC4:BF without knowing what was in a single chest! I think the categories don't match in the sense that it's very reasonable for someone to want to have some of these things turned off and some turned on. Therefore it would be a good idea to split the SSI into subcategories. For example 1+2 could be combined and then have 3 and 4 as seperate. Please consider this as it would be a great help for us who like to play with less HUD!

I agree 200% with your statement on this one ! I myself prefer to customise my HUD to add that element of challenge to my experience and Social Status indicator i have to say is gripe for myself and some ways a bit inconsistent ? i always turn the SSI off .

an example of this - When Edward Arrives in Havana with Stede Bonnet and Captain Mendozo's men steal Edwards Map and the Sugar ! i Kid you not an SSI alert from a guard came at least 4 blocks away right when i was pick pocketing the Key to the Castilio ?

TorQue1988
02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
I think they should go even further and give us complete customization options. Like in the new Thief game. Stuff like this should be in every game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9QkKya3-o

jdowny
02-24-2014, 03:06 PM
I entirely agree. I'd like everything off except the information given when looting someone or chests. Oh, and please in future games have an option to turn off the objective plastered across the screen when I'm on a mission.

aL_____eX
02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
I think they should go even further and give us complete customization options. Like in the new Thief game. Stuff like this should be in every game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9QkKya3-o
First one who completes the game with Iron Man on combined with No Kills or Knockouts and No Alerts gets a cookie! :)

Sushiglutton
02-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I think they should go even further and give us complete customization options. Like in the new Thief game. Stuff like this should be in every game:]

Idealy that would be great. Thief has a very impressive difficulty customization system from what I have seen!

Fatal-Feit
02-24-2014, 04:39 PM
I completely agree. And I would also like to move the onscreen HUD around too because as useful as some of them are, they can become a little distracting. Something like what you could do in an MMO.

kaplan360
02-24-2014, 08:37 PM
What I find most troubling about the HUD is that they made a point about learning so much from Far Cry3 and yet the HUD in Far Cry 3 made the game almost unplayable. This is something that should be patched ASAP and shame on them for not giving those who do not like having their hand held no options.

LoyalACFan
02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Agreed, Sushi. I was just noticing how annoying this was the other day. I turned off ALL of my HUD elements, but I wanted the visible waypoint on the game screen to show me the chests/fragments I had marked and was looking for. Took me forever to figure out that the waypoint was tied to the SSI.

Black_Widow9
02-25-2014, 03:22 AM
No promises but I've passed this on for you. ;)

LoyalACFan
02-25-2014, 03:48 AM
No promises but I've passed this on for you. ;)

Thanks Widow :)