PDA

View Full Version : Eavesdropping Missions

dayvekeem
02-22-2014, 08:46 AM
These need to go. I'm sorry but they are just too long overdue.

It goes against the free-roam design philosophy...

Who wants to be funneled into one optimal pathway in order to successfully stay within a predetermined circle while evading robots with laser vision? It's an exercise in trial and error until one finds that best route. Yes, the first few are doable on the first try. Something like "Imagine my Surprise" almost made my want to call in a fake bomb threat to Ubi HQ... Icing on the cake was the cutscene played right after the point I was constantly getting spotted at. Fun...

I play Android or Iphone games for this kind of mediocrity...

Just a suggestion.

oliacr
02-22-2014, 12:25 PM
They shouldn't drop it. We need those missions. Just make it a bit more fresh or something. It's too boring to follow somebody who goes on very unnecessary route.

frodrigues55
02-22-2014, 12:30 PM
People have been complaining about them for so long, it's a surprise the developers still make them.

It think tailing missions are somehow ok for you to discover hidden paths and stealth techniques. They look a bit amateurish, just like the eavesdropping, but I can deal with them.

I absolutely hate eavesdropping, though, especially if it's moving. English is not my first language, so I rely on the subtitles to fully comprehend what is going on.

It's impossible to do that while on an eavesdropping mission, though. I'm so focused on not getting detected while staying inside that stupid circle that every single time I have no ideia what they just talked about. So yeah, the mission is a bit chaotic and I can't even get anything out of it.

I hope they finally go away.

Fatal-Feit
02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
They aren't overdue... They're just not great. The dialogues are decent at best, there are too many side-objectives, and the whole constant desyncing BS just makes it not enjoyable.

I wish they would make both eavesdropping and tailing similar to AC:2's tailing. Despite them sometimes being way too long, you weren't too fuzzled with the HUD, side-objectives, or anything that overly complicated the entire thing. The conversations themselves were also quite entertaining. I think the developers have forgotten the importance of these missions-- THE CONVERSATIONS. Bombarding players with pretentious amount of work to do will keep them from both listening to the dialog and enjoying the stealth role.

But this is just my honest opinion.

Aphex_Tim
02-22-2014, 01:03 PM
I think only the eavesdrop-while-tailing missions have to go. As someone above said, it's pretty hard to both focus on the conversation and on not getting spotted. The fact that the conversation is immediately interrupted when someone so much as catches a glimpse of you doesn't help either. I prefer the eavesdropping from AC1, where you just find a place to blend in somewhere and then listen to the conversation. The tailing missions have also much improved in AC4 since you can now tag your targets.

So, Eavesdropping = okay. Tailing = okay. Both at the same time = Hell no!

Sushiglutton
02-22-2014, 01:19 PM
I also find them kind of annoying. They are similar to eachother, since you have so little flexibility in how you play, which makes them feel very reptetive. At the very least they need to significantly reduce the number of them. Stealth under time pressure is just not that good of a time.

I think the eavesdropping mission should be easier and pretty much only for story reason. Aka you stand, or walk and listen to the dialogue while the risk of detection is very low. The enemies shouldn't turn like they do, it just looks so artificial and kills immersion.

Dev_Anj
02-22-2014, 02:17 PM
What always annoyed me in these tailing and eavesdropping missions was that targets could somehow detect you even if they aren't supposed to know about you. I mean, when you walk on the street, and a person walking behind you for a while gets ahead of you, do you get suspicious of him/her? No, because they could be just people heading to their destination. Yet somehow in all the Assassin's Creed games from 2 onwards, going ahead of the people you're tailing makes them suspicious, even when they have no logical way of knowing that you were tailing them(of course Ezio generally wore conspicuous outfits but still :D).

frodrigues55
02-22-2014, 10:15 PM
I think the eavesdropping mission should be easier and pretty much only for story reason. Aka you stand, or walk and listen to the dialogue while the risk of detection is very low. The enemies shouldn't turn like they do, it just looks so artificial and kills immersion.

That's another thing that gets me everytime.

Immersion is ruined and the game looks completely amateurish and dated. For some reason, those missions are not well designed for interruptions or detection, so it looks odd when it happens.