PDA

View Full Version : PC versus PS4 graphics

playlisting
02-22-2014, 02:20 AM
I know the PC has the better graphics but how much better? I am planning to buy a PS4 and with it, AC IV. How much of a downgrade is it going from PC to PS4? I don't think it will be much but I'm not sure because I haven't played it and YouTube doesn't show the true quality. It would be good if someone could provide a list of the graphics settings used on the PS4 too.

My settings:

resolution: 1920x1080
environment quality: high
texture quality: high
anti-aliasing: MSAA 2x
shadow quality: high
reflection quality: high
motion blur: off
ambient occlusion: off
god rays: low
volumetric fog: off
V-Sync: off
PhysX particles: off

rcole_sooner
02-22-2014, 04:36 AM
That would depend on the PC.

With enough $$ there could be huge difference. It could be a monster PC with 2560x1440 or higher res on multiple monitors.

Between the PS4 and my i5 with geforce 770 on my 1920x1080 big screen, there is probably not much difference.

YazX_
02-22-2014, 11:33 AM
PS4 is 4 years old mid-range PC, so do the math, a mid-range PC now would completely destroy any console, and its not only about resolution, consoles dont have control over graphics options, usually AA and other stuff are downgraded to give the required performance, while on PC you can change settings per your preference to get the best experience. other than this, some games are rendered at 720p then up-scaled to 1080p, this will make the game blurry and increase the jagged edges, while on PC if ITS A GOOD PORT, it will naively rendered on the resolution you set.

and speaking of resolution, there is some misconception about it, while playing on higher resolutions makes the game sharper and more detailed but all objects get smaller, so its a relation between screen size, resolution and distance from screen.

And ofcourse, exclusive Nvidia features will not be available on consoles.

playlisting
02-22-2014, 11:50 AM
That would depend on the PC.

With enough $$ there could be huge difference. It could be a monster PC with 2560x1440 or higher res on multiple monitors.

Between the PS4 and my i5 with geforce 770 on my 1920x1080 big screen, there is probably not much difference.

I'm using an i5 3570k and a GTX 670 so hopefully the difference is minimal for me too.

playlisting
02-22-2014, 11:56 AM
PS4 is 4 years old mid-range PC, so do the math, a mid-range PC now would completely destroy any console, and its not only about resolution, consoles dont have control over graphics options, usually AA and other stuff are downgraded to give the required performance, while on PC you can change settings per your preference to get the best experience. other than this, some games are rendered at 720p then up-scaled to 1080p, this will make the game blurry and increase the jagged edges, while on PC if ITS A GOOD PORT, it will naively rendered on the resolution you set.

and speaking of resolution, there is some misconception about it, while playing on higher resolutions makes the game sharper and more detailed but all objects get smaller, so its a relation between screen size, resolution and distance from screen.

And ofcourse, exclusive Nvidia features will not be available on consoles.

Yeah, but in this case I'm talking exclusively about AC IV. How much difference will there be going from my settings to the ones on the PS4? It is rendering it at native 1080p I know that much. I don't know the settings but from the comparisons I've seen of PC vs PS4 on AC IV they don't look massively different. I don't think I wrote this thread very well. The question is: How would my experience change going from my current settings to the ones on PS4?

Fatal-Feit
02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
That depends on how much FPS you're getting. The settings you're running on is about what the PS4 can handle at a fixed 30 fps, except it has ambient collision set around low. If you're receiving about 40-50 fps already, which I think is what you're getting judging from your card, you would be getting a better experience from your PC.

I connect my PC to my TV when I game so the differences for me when I make comparisons are very apparent. But if you want my bias opinion, I would say to stick with the PC anyway since it's more convenient, requires less cooling, and pulls off a better performance.

playlisting
02-22-2014, 01:31 PM
That depends on how much FPS you're getting. The settings you're running on is about what the PS4 can handle at a fixed 30 fps, except it has ambient collision set around low. If you're receiving about 40-50 fps already, which I think is what you're getting judging from your card, you would be getting a better experience from your PC.

I connect my PC to my TV when I game so the differences for me when I make comparisons are very apparent. But if you want my bias opinion, I would say to stick with the PC anyway since it's more convenient, requires less cooling, and pulls off a better performance.

Okay. Thanks for the information (:

AherasSTRG
02-22-2014, 03:14 PM
If you change the volumetric fog from off to on, then you get the PS4's image quality.

However, the most important factor you need to take into account is the frame rate. With your setup and settings, you probably get 60 FPS 85% of the time. However, the PS4 can only render the game at 30 FPS, which in my opinion is garbage in a game like AC4. I 'd advise you to start the game without D3DOverrider (are you using it?) on and try to play... I really do not know how a PS4 gamer can stand such a low framerate... How can those guys be satisfied with that?
Or, you can look at it from a different perspective: Try bumping up your graphical settings until you get constant 30 FPS. I did that and I managed to have a steady 30 FPS framerate with my GTX 760 / Intel i5 3570 with the following settings:

Environment Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: Soft Shadows (medium)
Texture Quality: HBAO+ High
God Rays: High
Volumetric Fog: On
Motion Blurring: On
Ambient Occlussion: High
Anti-Aliasing: MSAAx2
Reflection Quality: High
PhysX: Off

which is undoubtly much better than the PS4 version. Therefore, no matter how you look at it, the PC version of the game always plays better than the PS4 equivelant in a solid mid-end system. The only problem we, PC gamers, have to deal with when playing AC4 is the frame instability caused by (imo) low standards of production. No matter your graphical setting, you will see that 99,99% of the time the frame rate never drops below 30. It is pretty clear that this game was created to run at said framerate and no effort has been put into making it run in higher framerates. The areas in which there are the biggest framerate problems are the "grassy" areas. With my GTX 760, there could be dozens of explosions on screen and fraps' meter would not bat an eye, but when there was a single tree on the screen, the GPU would start working like mad.

Anyway, one other thing I 'd like to point out is the fact that... YOU CANNOT PATCH A GAME TO WORK AT A NATIVE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN THE ONE IT ALREADY HAS. It would simply require a reconfiguration from the ground up to do that. The PS4's AC version is most probably upscaled from 900p to 1080p and not native full HD.

playlisting
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
If you change the volumetric fog from off to on, then you get the PS4's image quality.

However, the most important factor you need to take into account is the frame rate. With your setup and settings, you probably get 60 FPS 85% of the time. However, the PS4 can only render the game at 30 FPS, which in my opinion is garbage in a game like AC4. I 'd advise you to start the game without D3DOverrider (are you using it?) on and try to play... I really do not know how a PS4 gamer can stand such a low framerate... How can those guys be satisfied with that?
Or, you can look at it from a different perspective: Try bumping up your graphical settings until you get constant 30 FPS. I did that and I managed to have a steady 30 FPS framerate with my GTX 760 / Intel i5 3570 with the following settings:

Environment Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: Soft Shadows (medium)
Texture Quality: HBAO+ High
God Rays: High
Volumetric Fog: On
Motion Blurring: On
Ambient Occlussion: High
Anti-Aliasing: MSAAx2
Reflection Quality: High
PhysX: Off

which is undoubtly much better than the PS4 version. Therefore, no matter how you look at it, the PC version of the game always plays better than the PS4 equivelant in a solid mid-end system. The only problem we, PC gamers, have to deal with when playing AC4 is the frame instability caused by (imo) low standards of production. No matter your graphical setting, you will see that 99,99% of the time the frame rate never drops below 30. It is pretty clear that this game was created to run at said framerate and no effort has been put into making it run in higher framerates. The areas in which there are the biggest framerate problems are the "grassy" areas. With my GTX 760, there could be dozens of explosions on screen and fraps' meter would not bat an eye, but when there was a single tree on the screen, the GPU would start working like mad.

Anyway, one other thing I 'd like to point out is the fact that... YOU CANNOT PATCH A GAME TO WORK AT A NATIVE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN THE ONE IT ALREADY HAS. It would simply require a reconfiguration from the ground up to do that. The PS4's AC version is most probably upscaled from 900p to 1080p and not native full HD.

Thanks for all the information. I will try and play at 30 FPS and see what it's like.

Update: Just tried it. It was very, very choppy. Thanks for your help. I won't be picking this up on next gen (:

Hopefully they can make AC V run at 60 FPS. 30 FPS really is just too sluggish.

strigoi1958
02-22-2014, 04:53 PM
As long as you're happy with what you get it is not important what FPS you're getting and which equipment you're using to play it. Just enjoy the game :D

playlisting
02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
As long as you're happy with what you get it is not important what FPS you're getting and which equipment you're using to play it. Just enjoy the game :D

I'm sure I would enjoy the game if I got it on PS4. The only thing is instead of listening to the dialogue I'd probably be thinking "Wow that's laggy." 30 FPS just isn't enough any more. I wish they'd of made it 1080p but turned down some settings. It would still look nice but it would run at 60 FPS which is a lot more enjoyable than some of the graphics settings which munch FPS but don't necessarily make the game look much nicer. I'd rather smoother frame rates than AO and motion blur.

pittbull4200
02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
No matter how much or what they do with consoles they will never be able to compare to the PC that's just the hard truth, and overall security on consoles is nothing. :cool:

All it is, is a money scheme they build v.1-2-3-4

Make game incompatible with others etc it is a money scheme that works well for the gullible.

Plus with all the new junk they are adding better believe the NSA and DHS are using your built in mics and cams to watch people and their activities in home, just like your cell phones Google tracks everything you do and stores it in huge data servers collecting information on everyone.

Basic Communism it never died just took a new name.

Mr_Shade
02-22-2014, 07:54 PM
PS4 is 4 years old mid-range PC, so do the math..Don't forget that a console does not have all of the overheads a PC does - so even while it maybe 'mid range' and 'old' by some peoples standards- it can still surprise ;)

Anyone who has seen Killzone Shadowfall in action will say that too :)
http://i1.minus.com/i9fyzqMTyPJZ5.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/i9fyzqMTyPJZ5.jpg

BF4 [even though rendered at 900p] - still plays at 60 fps and looks like a PC running a mix of Mid / High

Also a heck of a lot of titles on the PS4 are native 1080p - unlike the Xbox one - AC4 being one of them.. even if it's limited to 30fps [as all open world games are on consoles] - it's very playable and not 'laggy' to many many people :)

YOU CANNOT PATCH A GAME TO WORK AT A NATIVE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN THE ONE IT ALREADY HAS. It would simply require a reconfiguration from the ground up to do that. The PS4's AC version is most probably upscaled from 900p to 1080p and not native full HD.

You can - it's like a PC - they can render at various resolutions - like 1280x720 or 1920x1080 - The PS4 was running at 1600x900 [at launch - which the console upscaled to 1080p] - they just altered the AA method and were able to run at a higher resolution - due to the extra power it saved] so it's now 1920x1080 [so native 1080p]
Textures etc - where already on the disc at a high enough resolution to allow it - the Xbox is still 900p - upscaled to 1080p via the consoles scaler - but it still looks very good:)

Tombraider on PS4 - beats my PC- I have a Q8300 / 4GB / 6850 /1600x900- and get about 38/40 FPS with it maxed out - without tressFX - the PS4 is basically same settings at 1080p native with TressFX 2.0 and it's 40/60 fps..

Also AC4 plays a lot smoother as an overall experience than on my PC, I cant add more ram etc - due to the Mobo.

http://i7.minus.com/i7BqToBTFidZ2.jpg
http://i7.minus.com/i7BqToBTFidZ2.jpg

However - if you have a decent PC and willing to invest in the new GPU's coming out, PC will remain superior - however Console gaming on the PS4 - is still the best you can get for a console - quickly followed by the Xbox One.

playlisting
02-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Also a heck of a lot of titles on the PS4 are native 1080p - unlike the Xbox one - AC4 being one of them.. even if it's limited to 30fps [as all open world games are on consoles] - it's very playable and not 'laggy' to many many people :)

Do you know if it would be possible for the PS4 to reach steady 60 FPS on AC IV? If they turned off ambient occlusion and changed the shadow/texture/environment quality down to medium instead of high which I'm guessing it has right now, I'm pretty confident 60 FPS would be achievable. If they made these types of games run at 60 FPS they'd probably attract more PC players because most of us are used to 60 FPS now and anything below 40-50 doesn't look fluid.

Mr_Shade
02-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Do you know if it would be possible for the PS4 to reach steady 60 FPS on AC IV? If they turned off ambient occlusion and changed the shadow/texture/environment quality down to medium instead of high which I'm guessing it has right now, I'm pretty confident 60 FPS would be achievable. If they made these types of games run at 60 FPS they'd probably attract more PC players because most of us are used to 60 FPS now and anything below 40-50 doesn't look fluid.

I'm not a dev, so wouldn't know.

End of the day, a PC gamer is just as important as console - so however you experience the game, I guess they are happy :)

strigoi1958
02-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Some of the greatest games I've played have had the worst graphics (lemmings, monkey Island, elite, dungeon keeper, thief etc...) while some of the games with the most incredible graphics, high fps all options maxed out have been so awful they've been uninstalled an hour after I purchased them.
So the game is usually the important thing and all the options are just whistles and bells added on... yes they can highlight the incredible work the devs have produced and I often just sail or climb and admire the view but when I'm immersed in the game I'm not really aware of the extras or my FPS which maybe 20 or 30 or more I don't know :confused: it runs smoothly... so nothing else matters. The same applies if I was playing on a console :D

playlisting
02-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Some of the greatest games I've played have had the worst graphics (lemmings, monkey Island, elite, dungeon keeper, thief etc...) while some of the games with the most incredible graphics, high fps all options maxed out have been so awful they've been uninstalled an hour after I purchased them.
So the game is usually the important thing and all the options are just whistles and bells added on... yes they can highlight the incredible work the devs have produced and I often just sail or climb and admire the view but when I'm immersed in the game I'm not really aware of the extras or my FPS which maybe 20 or 30 or more I don't know :confused: it runs smoothly... so nothing else matters. The same applies if I was playing on a console :D

The FPS is the main thing for me. It has to be 60 FPS or I'll have a hard time enjoying the game. If it's 60 FPS with great graphics then that's an added bonus. While I can enjoy a game at 30 FPS, I would get more enjoyment from the game running at 60 FPS.

Fatal-Feit
02-23-2014, 06:53 AM

*sigh*

http://i62.tinypic.com/zyccqc.jpg

pittbull4200
02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
I know the PC has the better graphics but how much better? I am planning to buy a PS4 and with it, AC IV. How much of a downgrade is it going from PC to PS4? I don't think it will be much but I'm not sure because I haven't played it and YouTube doesn't show the true quality. It would be good if someone could provide a list of the graphics settings used on the PS4 too.

My settings:

Running my old gaming system about 8 years old

Asus 24in full 1080p HDMI

MB evga 780i FTW

CPU Intel core2 E8400 3ghz (dual core)

newer evga 660 superclocked gpu (Very High) maxed out on all no lag or distortion

4x1gb ocz reaper ddr2 ram

:D

I have adjusted some to remove the fog to see the characters better far away

[Graphics_DX11]
AdapterVendorID=4318
AdapterDeviceID=4544
DisplayWidth=1920
DisplayHeight=1080
RefreshRate=60
DisplayableRefreshRate=60
AntiAliasingMode=1
VSync=1
EnvironmentQuality=3
TextureQuality=2
ShadowQuality=2
ReflectionQuality=2
GodRays=1
MotionBlur=1
SSAO=1
UseVolumetricFog=1
ApexParticles=0

strigoi1958
02-24-2014, 02:38 AM
*sigh*

http://i62.tinypic.com/zyccqc.jpg

lol
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l3jFDLgFxlY/TZ69NDz1w8I/AAAAAAAAGwU/nkiRvFQqsAY/s320/Yawn-726829.png

Fatal-Feit
02-24-2014, 04:26 PM
lol

Since you're sharing your life story, how about you start contributing.

strigoi1958
02-25-2014, 01:23 AM
Since you're not contributing.... I think there's a site called facebook where women can trawl the internet for random pictures and post them.... perhaps you could find a kitten with sparkly glitter

Black_Widow9
02-25-2014, 06:22 AM
That's about enough from both of you unless you need a break from the Forums.

Anykeyer
02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
PS4 looks more like this

anti-aliasing: FXAA
motion blur: on
ambient occlusion: SSAO
god rays: off
volumetric fog: on
V-Sync: on

playlisting
02-26-2014, 06:06 PM
PS4 looks more like this

Thanks for the list! Sounds like the PS4 version looks pretty good.

Mr_Shade
02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the list! Sounds like the PS4 version looks pretty good.
hmm it is :)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaO4qm5IcAAvEtq.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaO4IjeIAAAl1Hu.jpg:large

A couple of my shots - from the share button..

I would suggest having a look at some gameplay on YouTube - at 1080p ;)

playlisting
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
hmm it is :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaO4IjeIAAAl1Hu.jpg:large

A couple of my shots - from the share button..

I would suggest having a look at some gameplay on YouTube - at 1080p ;)

Thanks for the screenshots! I'm starting to lean towards getting this on PS4. It will probably be one of the first games I get with it alongside The Order: 1886. At least that's what I think it's called.

Mr_Shade
02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
It is.

I suggest some research - watch some video footage / reviews and then decide - since unlike PC's - you can't add things on to improve a console, so once you buy it, you are getting the best it can ever do [for a game that's released]

Ureh
02-27-2014, 02:54 AM
How does the water look at a distance on the ps4? Also is it true that the textures start to deteriorate the longer you play on the same file? :confused:

playlisting
02-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Also is it true that the textures start to deteriorate the longer you play on the same file?

I might be wrong but I highly doubt that's true.

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Since you're not contributing.... I think there's a site called facebook where women can trawl the internet for random pictures and post them.... perhaps you could find a kitten with sparkly glitter

I have contributed as a matter of fact. All you've done is blabbered like an old fart and now you're indenial for it. ''We get it; hurrr durr gwafixs aren't important. How dare we pay big money for gwafixs better than the NES--We shouldn't research the hardware we paid/are paying for. What were we thinking?--Gosh, we should be recommending the PS3. Da worse da betterz like good ol' strigoi used to say.'' Is that what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

How does the water look at a distance on the ps4? Also is it true that the textures start to deteriorate the longer you play on the same file? :confused:

It wouldn't make any sense.

PS4 looks more like this

The PS4 has God Rays set around low.

Mr_Shade
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Water looks good - depends what you mean by at distance - since it will loose detail, even on PC ;)

Not had any issue with textures, personally

cristi1990an
04-04-2014, 06:49 PM

My settings:

The settings used by the PS4 version:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Environment quality: Ultra
Texture quality: Ultra
Anti-aliasing: SMAA
Shadow quality: High (not soft shadows)
Reflection quality: High
Motion blur: High
Ambient occlusion: SSAO
God rays: not sure...
Volumetric fog: ON
V-sync; On (locked to 30fps)
Physx: Off.

AherasSTRG
04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
The settings used by the PS4 version:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Environment quality: Ultra
Texture quality: Ultra
Anti-aliasing: SMAA
Shadow quality: High (not soft shadows)
Reflection quality: High
Motion blur: High
Ambient occlusion: SSAO
God rays: not sure...
Volumetric fog: ON
V-sync; On (locked to 30fps)
Physx: Off.

There is no Ultra Texture Quality setting. The PS4 version obviously has High Texture Quality.

Also, in Ultra / Very High Environment Quality, everything on the screen is Tesselated, something which is not possible with the consoles. If you do not take my word for it, there is a nice article in Eurogamer and a very good video of the youtube channel Digital Doundry comparing the environment quality between the PC and the PS4. As both sources state, the PC's environment looks slightly better, as a result of full tesselation. So, the Environment Quality of the PS4 is set to High (tops).

Finally, people say that God Rays are set on Low.

luciusnetheril
04-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Sorry for highjackig the thread, but does AC4 still has piss poor optimization and resource delegation? I remember at the release, AC4 would get bottlenecked for no freaking reason and would use CPU over GPU.

WolfCaucasus
10-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Not every game by far is better on PC (Like the crap DW8 ps3 port on PC and many more), that's delusional to think and I'm a PC player. Entirely depends on the game. AC 4 is fine on the ps4 from what I can tell. It's also a relatively bad PC port.