PDA

View Full Version : AMD/ATI Radeon Cards - Graphic Settings/FPS Discussion

tshrjain
02-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Although, AC4 "might" (am saying this because game displays "Nvidia, the way its meant to be played" message) be optimized for Nvidia cards, what are your graphic card do you use and whats your graphic settings? And what FPS do you guys encounter in AC4?
P.S.: Would be good if you have latest updates as with every update the game is optimized a bit. I must say the time when I bought it, PC optimization was damn bad. I just left playing AC4 after 2 hours till the first update rolled out.

rcole_sooner
02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I have the Geforce 770 (i5 Haswell CPU) and can use these recommended settings.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide#assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-optimal-playable-settings

I am using TXAA 2x and like it better than the recommended FXAA.

I have V-Sync and Physx turned off. I didn't like all the smoke (still get a lot of smoke anyways). I get some tearing on quick pans of distant views with V-Sync disabled, but can live with it.

I have tried tweaking the settings, but those seem to work fine, looks good, and is very playable.

As for playability, I found the biggest thing on this game for me was the controller. The keyboard and mouse was so bad, I looked up game controllers. The support for game controllers has come a long way since I last looked many years ago. I got a 360 wireless receiver for my PC and started using my wireless 360 controller .... wow! ... huge difference in character and ship control. Maybe since this is a console port, the controller timing just works better ... or maybe the controller interfaces have just improved that much. Also the game auto detected the controller and even auto switched the on screen controller prompts ... very cool.

guardian_titan
02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
I honestly don't think AC4 is optimized better for Nvidia. It's just built using their graphic cards and might include the odd setting specific to those cards that the Radeon ones don't get. If anything, I see more threads with people complaining of issues who have Geforce cards than those that have Radeon ones. Granted, they likely assume because the game shows Nvidia on load up that their game should run flawless while those with Radeon cards feel that because their logo is not shown, they don't have a foot to stand on to complain.

I have a Radeon HD 7770 so fairly newish but not top of the line, and I ran AC3 on ultra with zero issues. I even enjoyed running around Boston and New York with no FPS drops. Had a Radeon HD 3870 that I had before that and I would've had a hell of a time running the game. Went from a Core 2 Duo e8400 CPU when I originally got the game and had to run the game on lower settings so had FPS issues, but then upgraded to an i5-3570k a few months later and my game ran smooth. Went from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit at the same time and no issues. Still don't own AC4, but since it appears I'm one of the oddballs that had no AC3 issues even on max settings, I'm sure I can probably run AC4 on medium settings easy with no issues. I'm not too concerned with the anti-aliasing and smoke effects like other people so I know I can run those on lower settings while boosting others like textures. Blurry textures are my pet peeve. I can handle broken lines in the distance due to crappy AA.

Every computer is different and it's not always the graphics card or the CPU that decides settings. Hard drive, OS, memory, how much you have installed on the system, how much you run in the background, and even dust in your system can effect it. A brand new out of the box computer with only factory default programs on it (or just the OS if you built it yourself) will run far smoother than a computer that has 10,000 programs installed, 100 background programs running at a given time, a ton of viruses and spyware, and has never been defragged a day in its life. There are millions, possibly billions, of combinations for a computer when you look at hardware and software combinations. There are bound to be similar combinations where one works flawlessly but change one thing and you have issues.

I would say if you're having issues to do something drastic like reformat your hard drive and reinstall your OS, then only install AC4 after (and whatever drivers you need). If you still have issues, then you know it's either a hardware component or AC4 so it's just a matter of swapping components to remove that as the issue, but how many people want to do that? Narrowing down the culprit is often a lot of work. People often just want to jump on the scapegoat without really doing any work to find the truth. This is true of any program or game.

I had issues with Photoshop CS some years ago. My program froze every 30 seconds or so making working difficult. After a long search, I found nothing. Finally posted for help and I got told to flash my BIOS. My issue vanished after.

I also had an issue with Sims 2 way back when that first came out. Game refused to run on my computer. I had no idea why. Turns out it was because I had a DVD-RW drive (one of the early ones) and EA's crappy DRM didn't like I had it enabled to write. I disabled the write ability of my drive and removed my burning software and the game worked fine. EA denied it but seemed too convenient. DRM later got removed some years later, but I was so pissed that it took me most of the day (was Christmas to boot) to get my game to work, I just went to cracks I found online. I owned the game and yet DRM stopped me from using it because of my DVD drive.

I've also had memory issues with Sims 3 and World of Warcraft. I'd be playing Sims 3 and go to save only to run into error 12 from time to time. Narrowed it down to memory so I ultimately had to quit playing for the time being when that error came up. When I got error 132 in World of Warcraft and narrowed that down to memory, I knew I had to change my memory. I ended up finding out despite having 4 GB in my computer (the most my Win 7 32-bit system recognized), I had the wrong type. What I had was not listed as compatible with the motherboard. I built the computer myself so I swore it was compatible, but Sims 3 and WoW were saying differently. My computer ran fine otherwise. So it was give up 2 games I loved and risk more errors later or buy new memory. I bought the memory. For the remaining life of that computer, I had no more issues.

So my issues stemmed from:
1.) Wrong BIOS version (My problem)
2.) DRM (EA's problem)
3.) Memory (My problem)

I'd look pretty foolish blaming Adobe and EA/Blizzard for my BIOS and memory problems when those are on me to fix. DRM I couldn't do a damn thing about without resorting to illegal methods ... which I ultimately did because I got fed up with it.
I suppose it comes down to:
1.) Are you having issues with other programs?
1a.) If so, what is the common thread between those issues?
2.) If not, then either AC4 is telling you that you're starting to have issues (like Sims 3 and WoW for me) or AC4 is the issue.

Computers are much like our bodies. Symptoms are often a sign of a larger problem. Pay attention to other programs and see if they start to act abnormal. Chances are you might only have issues with AC4 now, but you might have issues with another game later or had issues with another game in the past that you uninstalled. If so, I'd pay attention to what the issue was. You might be able to narrow it down to a culprit without doing anything drastic (like reformat or swapping part).

RealSh4d0w
07-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Well, hello
I bought AC3 a few days ago and i before, i checked the system requirements of Ac3 that i can play it without lags, but then, as i finally downloaded the game, i wanted to play but i cant even on low grafphics it is going to lag even if i have a Pc which is good enough:
I have a
AMD RADEON HD 7850
and a
Intel core i5-4440 4x 3,1
Compared with Hitman Absolution (which was published 2 days before AC3):
Hitman Absolution runs on ULTRA settings without any problems...
so it cant be my Hardware.. Idk what it is and im getting angry more and more...
Can it maybe be my resolution/monitor?
it isnt that new and the highest resolution of it is 1680x1050.. maybe i have to buy a new one?
Please help me i want to have fun in assassins creed.....

BlastThyName
07-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Well, hello
I bought AC3 a few days ago and i before, i checked the system requirements of Ac3 that i can play it without lags, but then, as i finally downloaded the game, i wanted to play but i cant even on low grafphics it is going to lag even if i have a Pc which is good enough:
I have a
AMD RADEON HD 7850
and a
Intel core i5-4440 4x 3,1
Compared with Hitman Absolution (which was published 2 days before AC3):
Hitman Absolution runs on ULTRA settings without any problems...
so it cant be my Hardware.. Idk what it is and im getting angry more and more...
Can it maybe be my resolution/monitor?
it isnt that new and the highest resolution of it is 1680x1050.. maybe i have to buy a new one?
Please help me i want to have fun in assassins creed.....

Have you made sure your drivers are up to date ? Seems like something is wrong with your hardware because the game should run well with that system.

RealSh4d0w
07-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes, i checked them...
I checked the Graphiccard driver, the second card driver, the processor driver, mainboard driver whatever..
I had an old driver on the card too but its all useless.. im dieing -_- i want to play this game and i want to use my PC fine.... i think i will reinstall it now....<
You think reinstall will use something?

BlastThyName
07-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Yes, i checked them...
I checked the Graphiccard driver, the second card driver, the processor driver, mainboard driver whatever..
I had an old driver on the card too but its all useless.. im dieing -_- i want to play this game and i want to use my PC fine.... i think i will reinstall it now....<
You think reinstall will use something?
It's really strange, what kind of FPS are you getting at high settings ? Ultra is too much for your GPU.
Don't use MSAA either, with a 7850 FXAA is preferable.

UbiDuchess
07-31-2014, 11:08 PM
@RealSh7d0w, your issue could be related to other programs you have running or loading automatically on your PC as well. Try running selective startup to see if that makes a difference. You can always send your dxdiag to support.ubi.com if you'd like us to have a closer look.

RealSh4d0w
08-01-2014, 12:23 AM
It's really strange, what kind of FPS are you getting at high settings ? Ultra is too much for your GPU.
Don't use MSAA either, with a 7850 FXAA is preferable.
What is MSAA/FXAA and how do i activate/deactivate it??

RealSh4d0w
08-01-2014, 12:24 AM
@RealSh7d0w, your issue could be related to other programs you have running or loading automatically on your PC as well. Try running selective startup to see if that makes a difference. You can always send your dxdiag to support.ubi.com if you'd like us to have a closer look.

Well, propably but i have the same problems if i just start my pc and then just run AC3...

RealSh4d0w
08-01-2014, 12:47 AM
So i reinstalled now, and its still lagin.. The only way to make the game "smooth" and "playable" is to turn down all settings... but arent i allowed to do use better graphics with this hardware? o.O .. its anoying :c

BlastThyName
08-01-2014, 12:24 PM
What is MSAA/FXAA and how do i activate/deactivate it??
Those are AA options. If memory serves high AA is FXAA and very high uses a combination of MSAA and FXAA.
You don't need me to tell you that you should opt for the "high" setting.

So i reinstalled now, and its still lagin.. The only way to make the game "smooth" and "playable" is to turn down all settings... but arent i allowed to do use better graphics with this hardware? o.O .. its anoying :c
Follow the advice of the moderator and see if there is anything running in the background that might alter your performance.
A 7850 should be able to run the game at high settings.
Your CPU is enough for the game as well.

Can you take a screenshot of your settings ?

RealSh4d0w
08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Sorry i cant, but i turned all options to the lowest and its still laging!! I cant handle this.... my PC is good enough.. Ubisoft please do something or gimme my Money back:nonchalance:

BlastThyName
08-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Sorry i cant, but i turned all options to the lowest and its still laging!! I cant handle this.... my PC is good enough.. Ubisoft please do something or gimme my Money back:nonchalance:
Something must be wrong with your hardware then. The game has optimization issues but as long as you are willing to drop some settings it's totally possible to max it out at 60fps.

RealSh4d0w
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Yea.. i messaged the ubisoft support and after a view days, they told me now my processor is not compatible with their game...rly ubisoft?
I want my money back... <.<

BlastThyName
08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Your CPU is obviously "compatible" with the game.
However, framerate drops with this CPU should not come as any surprise to you. Know a bit more about what you are buying before whining.
Knock the environment settings down to high and it should be okay.

RealSh4d0w
08-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Your CPU is obviously "compatible" with the game.
However, framerate drops with this CPU should not come as any surprise to you. Know a bit more about what you are buying before whining.
Knock the environment settings down to high and it should be okay.

Dude, the problem is, even if i set the graphics all down it is not smooth... and Ubisoft did wrote me that my CPU isnt "compatible" -_- they said i have 2 options:
buy a better processor or play on another pc.... wow.... <.<

playlisting
08-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Dude, the problem is, even if i set the graphics all down it is not smooth... and Ubisoft did wrote me that my CPU isnt "compatible" -_- they said i have 2 options:
buy a better processor or play on another pc.... wow.... <.<

Have you checked GPU temperatures while playing? Monitor your temperatures and if they get to or go over 80 degrees then it's too hot.

A few questions:

1. Have you changed the thermal paste recently?
2. Have you uninstalled the drivers using DDU?
3. Do you have in-game v-sync disabled? If not make sure it is. Go into the file Assassin3.ini - located in documents - and make sure VSync=0. If you would like to use v-sync then enable it through the CCC.
4. When did you get your graphics card?