PDA

View Full Version : Okay, we seriously need ability to deactivate upgrades and better replay features now

Farlander1991
02-17-2014, 12:50 PM
So I was replaying 'Royal Misfortune' level in AC4. When I first played it, to me it was like an insanely awesome epic level with an awesome epic sea battle followed up by an awesome epic boarding. However, as it turned out, it was because I didn't have a fully upgraded Jackdaw back then. I have upgraded it fully to take on the Legendary Ships, and when replaying the level, Royal Fortune went down like a punk, we didn't even get to the point where Spanish and English ships are. I really don't want to do a 'no upgrade' run for this specific purpose, because I've played a lot on my save and I don't feel like replaying everything again (even if it's just the main campaign).

Come on. The AC series is going to get a number V soon. Why do we have to use glitches or CheatEngine to remove weapons and armor (armor in case of Ezio's trilogy) or refrain from buying something at all (which, you mostly know you may not want to do that only after you've bought that thing). It's not like this is an RPG where the progression is always linear and you can't just replay one mission or another. Let me deactivate the upgrades if I feel like playing without them. And why is the replay system so inconsistent? We could replay Assassination Contracts in ACB, we can't do that now in AC4 (and in AC2 we couldn't replay a single main mission, but somehow were able to replay side missions?) I'm not sure if that's all caused by some technical issues, because it's just weird to me how there's no consistency in this matter between AC games.

And before AC3, some of the things didn't mind that much, because some good Samaritan would create a bunch of different saves at different points (with nothing bought) and I could just add them to my game, but with AC3 and AC4 only our own saves work, so absolutely every player has to do this sort of thing if they want to replay parts they can't replay or make sure to not buy something they might not want just for a specific moment (and not necessarily the whole game).

It seems like a little thing, all things considered... but... man.

Sushiglutton
02-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Agree completely. Esepcially naval goes from fun to tedious and repettive after you have (over) upgraded the Jackdaw. It seems fairly straightforward to let you downgrade at a harbourmaster and to respawn the legendary ships.

In general AC has expanded so fast and they are constantly trying to do new things, that I feel the devs have sometimes been sloppy with the basics which is kind of annoying. Stuff like maps, weapon selection, replay features, lack inventory managements/simple customization and so on. I understand that those things are not fun, but it hurts the games that they still don't function properly. It doesn't seem like an impossible task and all future games would benefit if they figured these things out.

Megas_Doux
02-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Agreed!!!!

A 1000 times.

Dome500
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Agree completely. Esepcially naval goes from fun to tedious and repettive after you have (over) upgraded the Jackdaw. It seems fairly straightforward to let you downgrade at a harbourmaster and to respawn the legendary ships.

In general AC has expanded so fast and they are constantly trying to do new things, that I feel the devs have sometimes been sloppy with the basics which is kind of annoying. Stuff like maps, weapon selection, replay features, lack inventory managements/simple customization and so on. I understand that those things are not fun, but it hurts the games that they still don't function properly. It doesn't seem like an impossible task and all future games would benefit if they figured these things out.

Agreed on both of your posts.

1. I want to be able to de-upgrade myself and my ship (or whatever we have in the next game) and want to be able to run around without weapons or armor, etc.
2. More customization and de-customization (unequiping) in general.

dxsxhxcx
02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
blame parallel development and yearly releases

Fatal-Feit
02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
But OP, you CAN replay main memories in AC:2.

Farlander1991
02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
But OP, you CAN replay main memories in AC:2.

Well, if you count starting the game from beginning as replay, then yes :p Or if you fail a level and then replay it. :p But you don't have an option to start a main memory from the DNA menu.

Fatal-Feit
02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, if you count starting the game from beginning as replay, then yes :p Or if you fail a level and then replay it. :p But you don't have an option to start a main memory from the DNA menu.

My god, you're right! I hadn't noticed that.

IWGCJoeCool
02-20-2014, 03:12 AM
i just started one.

sidebar, i wasnt sure the first time when it happened, but i saw some posts about wanting to stay with the original Walpole outfit, and see where it went "wrong" now.

anyway, started from the beginning, but trying to play "by the Creed" wherever possible, meaning low on the body count, for starters. this is assuming that rank and file soldiers and guards are not evil, and dont deserve to die. so, i arm myself only with an empty weapon hand, and maybe smoke bombs if i start glowing red....cuz i also turned off the HUD, 'ceptin for the GPS, cuz you need it. well, turned on the Naval Notoriety too, cuz i'm working on getting to 4X as i go. anyway, doing lot of sneaking up behind for the stranglehold, which isnt lethal, even though they count as kills in most cases. i only kill when attacked by an Officer, Agil, or Brute, but if it's me on the offensive, i try for a Smokebomb and a strangle. it's added to the Stealth element, and more patient play. the only exception is when a side or optional paramenter is calling for it.

i'm holding off of crafting upgrades as much as possible, which means some occasional failures on the Jackdaw...i dont want to be invincible, but i dont want to go down that easy either. i'll need some work on the whaling boat as well, cuz it seems a basic boat just wont stand up to the whales and bigger fish, no matter how skillful i've become in harpoon aiming.

also, i'm trying to play as the character, who knows nothing much at first of Assassins and Templars, staying away from Contracts, which "Mary" just this afternoon informed me of after the adventure in Tulum...but i'll be disinterested in the great struggle until i'm forced. ditto, the aid to the Assassins as long as possible. i'm also staying away from Fort battles, at least until after the first, Main Mission one. as for the rest, if i come across a Chest, i grab it, same for Secrets, Fragments, Shanties...just staying focused on living the adventure.

that's all, it's fun and adds some newness to a replay...and i'm liking the uncluttered screen. if there was a plain, basic compass, i could live without the GPS too.

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 12:03 AM
i just started one.

sidebar, i wasnt sure the first time when it happened, but i saw some posts about wanting to stay with the original Walpole outfit, and see where it went "wrong" now.

anyway, started from the beginning, but trying to play "by the Creed" wherever possible, meaning low on the body count, for starters. this is assuming that rank and file soldiers and guards are not evil, and dont deserve to die. so, i arm myself only with an empty weapon hand, and maybe smoke bombs if i start glowing red....cuz i also turned off the HUD, 'ceptin for the GPS, cuz you need it. well, turned on the Naval Notoriety too, cuz i'm working on getting to 4X as i go. anyway, doing lot of sneaking up behind for the stranglehold, which isnt lethal, even though they count as kills in most cases. i only kill when attacked by an Officer, Agil, or Brute, but if it's me on the offensive, i try for a Smokebomb and a strangle. it's added to the Stealth element, and more patient play. the only exception is when a side or optional paramenter is calling for it.

i'm holding off of crafting upgrades as much as possible, which means some occasional failures on the Jackdaw...i dont want to be invincible, but i dont want to go down that easy either. i'll need some work on the whaling boat as well, cuz it seems a basic boat just wont stand up to the whales and bigger fish, no matter how skillful i've become in harpoon aiming.

also, i'm trying to play as the character, who knows nothing much at first of Assassins and Templars, staying away from Contracts, which "Mary" just this afternoon informed me of after the adventure in Tulum...but i'll be disinterested in the great struggle until i'm forced. ditto, the aid to the Assassins as long as possible. i'm also staying away from Fort battles, at least until after the first, Main Mission one. as for the rest, if i come across a Chest, i grab it, same for Secrets, Fragments, Shanties...just staying focused on living the adventure.

that's all, it's fun and adds some newness to a replay...and i'm liking the uncluttered screen. if there was a plain, basic compass, i could live without the GPS too.

I play with everything turned off except the SSI, which for some reason correlates to the visible waypoints on the game screen. That way there's no radar cluttering up the screen, and you can still see where you're headed if you set a waypoint.

But yeah, agreed w/ OP

frodrigues55
02-21-2014, 01:06 AM
I would love a way to replay the main campaign.

Sometimes I'm on the mood to enjoy the story without having to collect everything and do every side mission again. Selecting the individual memories isn't really the same, especially because not all cinematics play this way and the checkpoint system don't really work if you turn the game off.

By the way, hability to downgrade and unequip items are seriously needed, I agree. I remember my first AC3 playthrough, I made the mistake of buying this humongous heavy weapon. It was this giant hammer that kept swinging every-freaking-where. It bugged the hell out of me and I could NOT find a way to throw that crap away. And that clipping - MY GOD, that clipping.

Yshnu
02-21-2014, 02:14 AM
I'd just settle for the ability to reset assassin contracts and legendary ships in AC4. But yeah, having the ability to reset upgrades would be really cool too.

jdowny
02-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Or just more customisation full stop. The ability to have four pistols or none, two swords or a single dagger, full armour or none at all. This could be extended to the player's ship (as in AC4) or their horse or their hideout. The short of it is that the more control and customisation options available to the player, the more they feel invested in the character.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2014, 05:07 AM
I would love a way to replay the main campaign.

Sometimes I'm on the mood to enjoy the story without having to collect everything and do every side mission again. Selecting the individual memories isn't really the same, especially because not all cinematics play this way and the checkpoint system don't really work if you turn the game off.

By the way, hability to downgrade and unequip items are seriously needed, I agree. I remember my first AC3 playthrough, I made the mistake of buying this humongous heavy weapon. It was this giant hammer that kept swinging every-freaking-where. It bugged the hell out of me and I could NOT find a way to throw that crap away. And that clipping - MY GOD, that clipping.

Agreed. The AC franchise should allow New Game Plus from now on. Allow the players to start out will all of their equipment, upgrades, data entries, Abstergo achievements, etc etc.

Replaying sequences through the menu just isn't enough.

Consus_E
02-21-2014, 05:11 AM
Agreed. The AC franchise should allow New Game Plus from now on. Allow the players to start out will all of their equipment, upgrades, data entries, Abstergo achievements, etc etc.

Replaying sequences through the menu just isn't enough.

Perhaps a memory playlist option? I'd love a playlist devoted to open ended assassination missions.

Landruner
02-21-2014, 09:05 AM
So I was replaying 'Royal Misfortune' level in AC4. When I first played it, to me it was like an insanely awesome epic level with an awesome epic sea battle followed up by an awesome epic boarding. However, as it turned out, it was because I didn't have a fully upgraded Jackdaw back then. I have upgraded it fully to take on the Legendary Ships, and when replaying the level, Royal Fortune went down like a punk, we didn't even get to the point where Spanish and English ships are. I really don't want to do a 'no upgrade' run for this specific purpose, because I've played a lot on my save and I don't feel like replaying everything again (even if it's just the main campaign).

Come on. The AC series is going to get a number V soon. Why do we have to use glitches or CheatEngine to remove weapons and armor (armor in case of Ezio's trilogy) or refrain from buying something at all (which, you mostly know you may not want to do that only after you've bought that thing). It's not like this is an RPG where the progression is always linear and you can't just replay one mission or another. Let me deactivate the upgrades if I feel like playing without them. And why is the replay system so inconsistent? We could replay Assassination Contracts in ACB, we can't do that now in AC4 (and in AC2 we couldn't replay a single main mission, but somehow were able to replay side missions?) I'm not sure if that's all caused by some technical issues, because it's just weird to me how there's no consistency in this matter between AC games.

And before AC3, some of the things didn't mind that much, because some good Samaritan would create a bunch of different saves at different points (with nothing bought) and I could just add them to my game, but with AC3 and AC4 only our own saves work, so absolutely every player has to do this sort of thing if they want to replay parts they can't replay or make sure to not buy something they might not want just for a specific moment (and not necessarily the whole game).

It seems like a little thing, all things considered... but... man.

All those posts made and thread opened full of idea for the future of DLCs and features in order to add some replay we wrote post to the release of AC4 for nothing - Yep. I agree with you AC4 has zero replay value and since some people have having problems with their (disk) games not any longer running on their consoles, I may wonder if the games were not set for only be playable for a few months only in order to prevent the re-sale of them as used games.;)! (Just joking, but I won't be surprise Ubisoft does that someday, disposable games as disposable razor - the AC games only work for 6 months up to one year until the next AC is released)