PDA

View Full Version : Ship boarding too difficult.

Woeful_Wraith
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Why the hell is boarding combat so hard. Being surrounded by 5 enemies and half dozen of your crew you can't move at all, the camera is crowed in so close you can't see any enemy you need to counter and even if you do manage to counter your crew gets in the way of your attacks. It the biggest mess and the most annoying and un-fun in any game ever. dying over and over again from being unable to board a vessel and use it (forcing me to just have to blow ever one up without boarding) sucks . You morons just gotta cram everything in your face, well its stud and the people who designed and grenlit that mess of stupid need to be fired and/or hanged. Worst gaming ever, you blew it on this on.

Morons

frodrigues55
02-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Wait, what

that's a first.

BarmyTaffster
02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Never had a problem with ship boarding, it is a pain that while in a crowd we cannot lock onto our targets like previous versions of AC but if your having the difficulties as you describe perhaps a little patience might help :);)

playlisting
02-16-2014, 11:19 PM
I've never had an issue with boarding ships. The deck can get a little bit crowded sometimes but all you need to do is make sure you keep an eye on Edward so you don't lose him in the crowd. Plus you can always just look for the sign for when they're about to attack and then counter them.

Wrath2Zero
02-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Don't let Ubisoft get wind of this, they will dumb their games down even more and have one button to kill everything in your view. :p

It's easy, just block all the time until you can attack.

Dome500
02-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Difficult?

The Controls might be difficult because they are over-simplified and because they are a little buggy in AC4.
Therefore not every Counter works and therefore being surrounded by 5 enemies is a little annoying.

And I agree that ships are sometimes a little crowded and your own crew is standing in your way.

But difficult? Not that I know of.

Morons

You my friend are the moron here.

1. You could be a little bit more polite, even if you are annoyed
2. Don't use so many swear words, it makes you look uneducated and brute

Nitrotoluene
02-18-2014, 01:08 AM
It's true that these cluster fights look like total chaos, and trying to guide Mr. Kenway to attack specific targets is fruitless in those circumstances.

If you study these fights closely, you'll notice that the enemies actually attack Edward one at a time. They mill around politely waiting to take their turn before showing a red mark and attacking. Sometimes as they wait, they get distracted by another target or get attacked themselves, which adds to the chaos.

Just keep hitting the attack button (Left mouse button) and let Edward decide for himself which nearby target to attack. Only when you see a red mark on an enemy, is it time to hit E and block their attack, but go back to attacking straight after the block.

The only times I actually try to guide Edward to a specific enemy is on those rare occasions when he is not in close proximity to any targets.

tshrjain
02-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Was quiet amused with the ranting stated above. Personally, boarding a ship isn't too bad an experience. You easily swing on to the other ship, go behind targets and slash their throats using wrist blades! Select your sword and wait approach an enemy and attack him. Wait for them to attack you one after the other, block them and attack again and so on. One thing I did find annoying 9or should I say not working that great was "Break Defense") Can't still get hold of that move. Am hardly ever able to "Break Defense".

strigoi1958
02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
My method is... use the swivel gun to kill 5 to 9 before boarding. ( I shoot barrels which explode, the masts which I assume splinter and kill a few, the steering wheel and the side of the ship at the handrail... or directly at the men) then before swinging over, I select the pistol and press F while it auto targets and shoots 4 more... then I select swords and smoke bombs//// swing over, press F to use smoke bomb then kill 3 or 4 while they are coughing the smoke.... just do that until enough are dead and get up the mast... as soon as I'm up I press E to counter as usually a guard with a rifle will attack... I counter and disarm him with space... kill him and then use the rifle to shoot the other guard on the other mast...

on a separate note... is it just my uk bt connection or is the site slow today ?

AntiChrist7
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
If Assassin's creed combat is too difficult, you are either a troll, or no fit for gaming anyway

ACLexter
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
AC Combat has never became difficult in my experience. even when boarding any ship.
there are lots of things to do other than face the enemies in sword fight.

swivel gun, pistols, shooting the barrels for massive area damage, and lot more....

I never expect someone will have a hard time playing AC :rolleyes:

rcole_sooner
02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
So far so good boarding and capturing ships for me.

Only two pull my hair out moments. Once After getting my first ship I had to cut the flag on, I tried to jump on the sail rigging below me, and I jumped to my death instead. ARG!!! I didn't do that again. LOL!

The other is really just part of the game ... or the way I play it trying to walk down the ships hand rails and air assassinating enemies ... I get bump into the water a lot. I am going to have to change this tactic when I eventually try to board a legendary ship, as I understand the hull can kill you on contact.

I feel I've failed if I have to board a ship of 10 or less ... I should be able to clear them all with the swivel gun ... eh, I am about 50%.

Another thing on the bigger ships after taking out the lookouts or flag ... is using the hook to get down quick ... you wind up on top of some freight or something. That is an excellent place to fight. The game sends enemies in decent numbers. Pistol shoot 'em, use smoke bomb for reload, then shoot some more or just go at 'em with blades. Eventually I'll spot the captain if I need to get him ... see the little red dot running around.

The ship boarding is way more fun than some of the tail and sneak missions ... some of those are not bad, but some are ... I guess it just depends on which developer (or group) did the mission.

Alphacos007
02-18-2014, 03:43 PM
You can't actually board the legendary ships, you MUST sink them. What you said is pretty much true though, one ram from them and you're almost out of hp.

rcole_sooner
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
I just read that.

I was trying to figure out where to find ships with larger cargo capacity .. thinking legendary would have the most ... but the guide said no boarding legendary ships so no sending to fleet.

Guess I gotta get max wanted level, get to New Bone, and find me a Man-O-War with more 'n 70 cargo hold. :D

Bunnynuts
02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Swivel gun OP. Boarding ships is easy. Here's how I do it. Approach parallel, wait til swivel gun is about midship, hold S. Get on swivel gun and clear as many baddies as I can with 5 shots and then use the fast climb rope thing to get in position to kill scouts or destroy flags if needed or I just rope across and take out any deck objectives before fighting the remaining crew members. Scooners and Brigs only need the swivel gun.

playlisting
02-18-2014, 06:10 PM
My method is... use the swivel gun to kill 5 to 9 before boarding. ( I shoot barrels which explode, the masts which I assume splinter and kill a few, the steering wheel and the side of the ship at the handrail... or directly at the men) then before swinging over, I select the pistol and press F while it auto targets and shoots 4 more... then I select swords and smoke bombs//// swing over, press F to use smoke bomb then kill 3 or 4 while they are coughing the smoke.... just do that until enough are dead and get up the mast... as soon as I'm up I press E to counter as usually a guard with a rifle will attack... I counter and disarm him with space... kill him and then use the rifle to shoot the other guard on the other mast...

on a separate note... is it just my uk bt connection or is the site slow today ?

I'm having issues with BT too... has it been for a while or just today? I'm not sure if it's just me or whether BT's at fault.

byte_x
02-19-2014, 01:36 AM
i dont remeber having any problem with it in black flag, but its bothering me a lot in freedom cry since i sometimes (rarely) get desynced at boarding slave ships. theres lots of captains in slave ships, which having multiple is annoying because adewale NEVER focuses on a guarded-down enemy if there are others nearby. plus, i eliminate the scouts first and unlike Edward, adewale cant air assasinate from scout places, and he falls down losing amountive health. still, its not a huge problem, since all you have to do is press e and click. its the least of assassins creed problems, since the game screwed up in many different areas. (and that counter-system change in ac3 pisses me off! pressing E? seriusly? bring back ezio and altair combat!)

rcole_sooner
02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Heh, I fell off of the flag platform on a MoW again last night. I guess I accidentally squeeze the RT and hit B, instead of just B to hang. It is a dsync when ya hit that deck.

I found the lvl 60 MoW. I did not add it to my fleet, in 5 tries. I could probably take it on straight up, but not with the other 3 lvl 49 MoWs that joining the fight. The whole sea was red with mortar strike areas. I'll see if I can find it more alone later.

I did add 3 lvl 49 MoWs to my fleet. Would have been 4 had I not fallen. LOL!

Fatal-Feit
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah, be extra careful when you're taking down the flags. I too have fallen way too many times out of recklessness. Surprisingly though, if I'm lucky I would end up alive and with barely 1 bar.

Alphacos007
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Haha, I never actually felt from the flag place as cutting out the flag is the last thing I do when boarding a ship. I've felt many times when trying to jump from one ship mast's to the other though, I always think I can do the jump and them BAM, desync :(

AlyoshaCephas
02-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Haha, I never actually felt from the flag place as cutting out the flag is the last thing I do when boarding a ship...

Yup. The only times I've ever died boarding a ship is falling from screwing around on my way up to get the flag. Happened enough times that I just had to start laughing. =P

To the OP, here's my advice for when you're surrounded by 5 enemies. Press the following very effective key combination: F, F, F, F. Now kill the last one.

rcole_sooner
02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
...or have a smoke bomb handy. :D

jeffies04
02-20-2014, 06:25 PM
After actually coming aboard the other ship, I let my crew take the "offensive position" and be the ones to target and attack the other crew, and I take the "defensive position" and counter those who come after me, mixing it up with some gun action... and while they do that I go after the captain and finish the other objectives. Targeting specific enemies can be frustrating with all the chaos, so I avoid having to do it.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2014, 04:42 AM
TBH, I usually try to jump in first so I can pull some good double tool kills without my crew getting in the way. I would recommend using the swivel to take down the highlighted enemies or shoot them from across ship with your pistols before jumping into the chaos.

AlyoshaCephas
02-21-2014, 06:16 AM
... I would recommend using the swivel to take down the highlighted enemies or shoot them from across ship with your pistols before jumping into the chaos.

This is good advice. I always expend the swivel gun's ammo before boarding, but I'd never used my pistols before jumping over until the recent pistol based community event. I thought it would just be a good way to kill 4 and reload before hopping aboard and killing 4 more, but it ended up feeling very efficient (albeit too tame for my taste).

mrbrian200
02-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Why the hell is boarding combat so hard. Being surrounded by 5 enemies and half dozen of your crew you can't move at all, the camera is crowed in so close you can't see any enemy you need to counter and even if you do manage to counter your crew gets in the way of your attacks. It the biggest mess and the most annoying and un-fun in any game ever. dying over and over again from being unable to board a vessel and use it (forcing me to just have to blow ever one up without boarding) sucks . You morons just gotta cram everything in your face, well its stud and the people who designed and grenlit that mess of stupid need to be fired and/or hanged. Worst gaming ever, you blew it on this on.

Morons

Don't try to fight them. Fast run around the deck in a big circle and run-assassinate as you pass anyone from the back. Pretty easy that way. Combat against a crowd of hostiles is impossible in this installment of the series. I don't think they meant for it to be played that way (I don't think a Nanosuit was yet invented in the year 1715). Keep in mind also Edward "stole" the title of Assassin. It's apparent to me his skill level is lower than Altair/Ezio who were both "professionally trained/lifetime experienced"

rcole_sooner
02-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Yep, I did the run around the rails and assassinate too. It worked well. Then I got lazy and just started using smoke bombs. I also kinda got the hang of using the break defense and counter thing. Works well until I get surrounded ... then smoke bomb time.

I also tried the advice above of waiting to get the scouts/flag last ... that really makes it easy ... no worry about climbing down ... and puts a nice ending on the whole thing.