PDA

View Full Version : 'OneDay' in the life of a Spitfire pilot_mission

fabianfred
05-18-2004, 07:34 AM
its up at sim-outhouse and should be at netwings soon...
called 'oneday' it is a single mission in four parts, or four sorties, so takes a few hours to complete
there is also a mini campaign of four missions for those who prefer it that way, all in the same pack
'loon'

fabianfred
05-18-2004, 07:34 AM
its up at sim-outhouse and should be at netwings soon...
called 'oneday' it is a single mission in four parts, or four sorties, so takes a few hours to complete
there is also a mini campaign of four missions for those who prefer it that way, all in the same pack
'loon'

Timex62
05-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Cool. Thanx for the info.

Close to the Edge

fabianfred
05-19-2004, 07:25 AM
"in spite of his age and rank, Gleave possessed the one quality that distinguished the ace pilots on both sides. It was something more important than flying skill, more important than keen eyesight, even more important than quick reaction times and the ability to 'aim off' for the correct deflection. Such men as Gleave had the nerve to fly on collision courses (that forward facing guns require) very, very close to the enemy... Gleave was 175 yards from his first victim (very close by 1940 standards) and 120 yards from the second one. but the third and fourth Me 109's were hit from only 60 and 75 yards respectively. At such close range thye eight machine guns did terrible damage."

fabianfred
05-24-2004, 08:22 AM
"I watched as one by one our aircraft returned to base after yet another sortie. Most of the aircraft to our delight had returned unscathed, but then I saw this Hurricane coming in to land. His wings were tipping up, then down, then suddenly he hit the ground rather hard only for him to bounce right up again. Then at the second attempt, he finally kept the aircraft on the ground and taxied a short way and stopped in the centre of the airfield. Casualty procedures were put into action and crash tenders and ambulances rushed towards him only to find that the pilot fast asleep, he did not even have time to switch the engine off ........

Squadron Leaders remarks at 111 Squadron Croydon September 1940. "