PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't Edward...

GamerKate
02-16-2014, 07:06 AM
In the Templar Hunt where you had to free the slaves in Kingston, when Edward tackled a guard to ask for information, why didn't he kill the guard after?
He's an ASSASSIN after all.

dbzk1999
02-16-2014, 08:08 AM
In the Templar Hunt where you had to free the slaves in Kingston, when Edward tackled a guard to ask for information, why didn't he kill the guard after?

Actually it wasn't till the end he was an actual assassin
Anyways he probably didn't because he didn't believe in killing who he perceived to not be worth killing

Dome500
02-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Does an Assassin have to kill an innocent guard?
Not necessarily.

He is a soldier, just following orders and stuff.
And he is too frightened anyway to tell anyone of this.

guardian_titan
02-16-2014, 05:30 PM
You can take the ending of the game 2 ways:
1.) Edward did join the Assassins and his initiation was off screen
2.) Edward did not join the Assassins but did after AC4 ended and before his death (initiation was not in the AC4 tie-in novel so was between 1723-1735).

There is no indication Edward went through the initiation, but he does tell Adéwalé he will finish off Woodes when he returned to England (which did not happen since Woodes dies 10 years later in Nassau). That's the only real clue to me he may have joined. Giving Great Inagua to the Caribbean Assassins doesn't mean he joined. That just shows he's trying to repair and strengthen the bridges he burned earlier in the game.

Edward also talks to Anne in the epilogue asking her if she'll remain with the Assassins. She says she doesn't have the conviction to do so. She asks him the same and says he will when his blood cools. That line tells me he didn't join the Brotherhood just yet.

If you pay attention the the story, Edward's not the same man at the end as he is in the beginning. He picks and chooses who he kills at the end while at the beginning he just kills pretty much everyone. Assassins don't kill innocents if they can avoid it. You see Connor do the same thing in AC3. He has to track down some redcoats for information and rather than kill them, he just throws them to the ground and walks off. Believe that related to one of the New York Assassin liberation quests. Don't recall if Altair or Ezio did anything similar, but Edward's more comparable to Connor anyway. Assassins aren't cold-hearted murderers who kill anyone and everyone who happens to step into their path.

Farlander1991
02-16-2014, 05:50 PM
If you pay attention the the story, Edward's not the same man at the end as he is in the beginning. He picks and chooses who he kills at the end while at the beginning he just kills pretty much everyone.

Okay, well, that's not necessarily true. Edward always had a thing for leaving the defenseless and those who don't try to actively harm to him (or his allies), alive. That's why he was mad at Vane for shooting a Spanish officer on an already captured ship, for example, or being irritated at Roberts for killing the portugese prisoner. And even mechanically speaking, when boarding ships we fight only until the enemy surrenders, we don't kill them after that (you might say, well, what happens when we repair the ship and destroy the ship we boarded - I think the most straightforward answer to that is that the prisoners were put on lifeboats of their ship rather than sunk with the ship).

Don't recall if Altair or Ezio did anything similar, but Edward's more comparable to Connor anyway.

Altair would kill everybody he interrogated, though for practical purposes - ensures that those who they serve won't learn they've said anything.

poptartz20
02-16-2014, 06:53 PM
You can take the ending of the game 2 ways:
1.) Edward did join the Assassins and his initiation was off screen
2.) Edward did not join the Assassins but did after AC4 ended and before his death (initiation was not in the AC4 tie-in novel so was between 1723-1735).

There is no indication Edward went through the initiation, but he does tell Adéwalé he will finish off Woodes when he returned to England (which did not happen since Woodes dies 10 years later in Nassau). That's the only real clue to me he may have joined. Giving Great Inagua to the Caribbean Assassins doesn't mean he joined. That just shows he's trying to repair and strengthen the bridges he burned earlier in the game.

Edward also talks to Anne in the epilogue asking her if she'll remain with the Assassins. She says she doesn't have the conviction to do so. She asks him the same and says he will when his blood cools. That line tells me he didn't join the Brotherhood just yet.

Now... This honestly makes me wonder if Edward fully became an assassin or did he just take it on as a means to live his life? I mean he did become friends with Reginald Birch which I assume was more than likely a well known templar, not to mention the fact that he didn't kill Woodes. (or maybe we are to assume he did?)

We can assume that the assassin's changed his life since he trained Haytham in the ways but did he really ever become one?

frodrigues55
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Edward always had some sort of moral regarding who he was going to kill. That was a good call. It made his transformation and acceptance of the creed more believable.

It's funny when you compare the game's Edward to the one that was presented on the reveal trailer. Blackbeard calls him this devil who would murder just everyone and everything. and he is just more human than that.

Farlander1991
02-16-2014, 07:11 PM
It's funny when you compare the game's Edward to the one that was presented on the reveal trailer. Blackbeard calls him this devil who would murder just everyone and everything. and he is just more human than that.

Yeah, at first I thought that maybe it was because Edward had a different character when the production on that teaser begun, but... that trailer would take like 3-4 months AT MOST, I think (most likely less), and I'm pretty sure Edward would be pretty established by then since there was like a year to go, the production was full on and you couldn't drastically change things.

I think this is mostly a stylistic choice. Blackbeard's doing what he has done with himself - creating a legend, a persona to be reckoned with just because your imagination paints him as the Devil himself.

(Also, Blackbeard wasn't calling him a guy who would murder everybody, it was more like he's able to murder everybody because he's seen the things he can do)

poptartz20
02-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah, Edward always had some sort of moral regarding who he was going to kill. That was a good call. It made his transformation and acceptance of the creed more believable.

Well technically Blackbeard said He would fight like the Devil Dressed as a man.

Funny you mention that ... because I re-watched that trailer last night and made a sig for it. haha. just didn't use it here. Working on the fonts.

Shahkulu101
02-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I expected Edward to be cold and stoic, silently ruthless - that's how the trailers painted him. I also felt there would be an air of secrecy to his character towards others as Blackbeard said, but nobody in the campaign, except Mary, really saw anything especially curious about Edward. I love the Edward we got, but the guy in the trailers was awesome! I know it's silly to talk of what we didn't get, and Edward's character was probably better than my expectations, but I would have preferred a more deadly serious, no bullcrap kinda guy - but looking at the overall story that probably wouldn't have worked, what with the lighter(yet melancholy) tone - which culminated in one of the series most beautiful endings. Nothing beats ACR's, though. ;)

frodrigues55
02-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah, I don't remember exactly what Blackbeard said but you get the ideia :p

I agree when Farlander said that Blackbeard was probably just creating a legend and Ubisoft probably did this to promote Edward as this killer pirate. It was the reveal trailer after all, so you wanna grab attention to the new character. But it's funny because they advertised a sinister man who is very much human at the game. The scene where Edward says he just wants to be able to provide better food for his family was amazing because that alone was enough to show what his goals and flaws were.

It sets the tone and it shows through the game, and that's why his ultimate acceptance of the creed makes absolute sense. He was a great character. They even managed to get him out of the womanizer stereotype that people created based on the reveal trailer - ( and to be honest, that trailer presented us with a Hollywood handsome man, whilest on the game he is more dirty/flawed - I guess that counts towards people's first impression based on the trailer alone).

He's his own person, not the Ezio clone some people talk about.

EDIT - Poptartz, that line on your sig... one of my favorite scenes/dialogues on the AC series ever! Certainly a memorable one, thumbs up!

poptartz20
02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
I expected Edward to be cold and stoic, silently ruthless - that's how the trailers painted him. I also felt there would be an air of secrecy to his character towards others as Blackbeard said, but nobody in the campaign, except Mary, really saw anything especially curious about Edward. I love the Edward we got, but the guy in the trailers was awesome! I know it's silly to talk of what we didn't get, and Edward's character was probably better than my expectations, but I would have preferred a more deadly serious, no bullcrap kinda guy - but looking at the overall story that probably wouldn't have worked, what with the lighter(yet melancholy) tone - which culminated in one of the series most beautiful endings. Nothing beats ACR's, though. ;)

Yeah! I know I was expecting the same thing too! Also I just noticed something that Edward looks really different in the trailers from what we actually got in game. Haha. Considering he was the only assassin to ever show his face in a trailer like that.

Not that it really matter at the end of the day. Just interesting tidbit. and yes I do realize that that is a CGI high rendered trailer made to look amazing v. in game graphics.

Farlander1991
02-16-2014, 07:55 PM
People do tend to look somewhat different when they're without beards :p :D

Shahkulu101
02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
What irks me to this day is how Connor was portrayed as white in the trailers - so as not to deter the probably bigoted and stupid 'Murica fu*k yeah demographic they tried so shamelessly hard to reach.

poptartz20
02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
People do tend to look somewhat different when they're without beards :p :D

Hahah yes that's true. They don't look like a Lumberjack anymore! But really if I can find a picture I will! Even Edwards face was wider in the earlier trailers! with slightly darker hair too? which I found Odd.

What irks me to this day is how Connor was portrayed as white in the trailers - so as not to deter the probably bigoted and stupid 'Murica fu*k yeah demographic they tried so shamelessly hard to reach.

YES. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT. then again. . racism is a funny thing.

Farlander1991
02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Hahah yes that's true. They don't look like a Lumberjack anymore! But really if I can find a picture I will! Even Edwards face was wider in the earlier trailers! with slightly darker hair too? which I found Odd.

Well, hair is just design change. Edward's hair was described as brown in Forsaken as far as I know, and the very first screen that we got had him with really brown hair. And the design just became lighter.

And, really, face is also design change, I'm sure there are a few differences in the facial structure :) But from memory they look almost the same with beard being the big differentiation.

I-Like-Pie45
02-16-2014, 08:37 PM
canner wasn't a full-blooded native, there was always the off-chance he could look white since he's a half-breed

look at the actress who plays cannr's mom. she's also a half-breed and she looks white. either that, or photoshop rules

alexandra, if you're reading this, you should post your picture. since you are apparently a hybrid of everything, your appearance could add some value to this discussion of inherited genetics

frodrigues55
02-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Well, hair is just design change. Edward's hair was described as brown in Forsaken as far as I know, and the very first screen that we got had him with really brown hair. And the design just became lighter.

Do you know what picture is it? I don't remember that and I really wanna see it now. I read Forsaken after Black Flag was annouced, so I always wondered why the game designers decided to go with blonde.

But from memory they look almost the same with beard being the big differentiation.

Really? They look like different people to me. And not only because of the beard, I'm sure. As I mentioned before, Edward's design for CG looked more Hollywood type to me. He was certainly more worn out in the game, like, more rough (which fits the design better, by the way). Also, he looks way older than his age in game, but not in the CGIs:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/18/180559/2445484-vlcsnap-2013-03-02-10h15m19s104.png

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131114021855/assassinscreed/images/b/b4/Edward_Kenway_Memory_14.png

Farlander1991
02-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Do you know what picture is it? I don't remember that and I really wanna see it now. I read Forsaken after Black Flag was annouced, so I always wondered why the game designers decided to go with blonde.

Really? They look like different people to me. And not only because of the beard, I'm sure. As I mentioned before, Edward's design for CG looked more Hollywood type to me. He was certainly more worn out in the game, like, more rough (which fits the design better, by the way). Also, he looks way older than his age in game, but not in the CGIs:

Here's the screen:
http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.games.com/media/2013/02/articlepostwidthassassins-creed-4-black-flag-screenshot.jpg

Regarding Edward - I think a lot of difference comes from rendering, a model can look very differently depending on how it's rendered (and, well, let's face it, a CGI render is going to be much more different from a gameplay real-time render). If you compare the elements separately - the eyebrows, the nose, the eyes, the square chin (though, shape of jaw as a whole was changed a bit I think), you'll find that they are very similar. Our perception says otherwise, though :)

EDIT: There were more screens in your original post, think that worked better for comparison due to different angles to see Edward's face from in both CGI and real-time versions :)

EDIT: Also, regarding age, more beard = more age perception. Saying as a person who grows a beard very quickly and the reaction of people towards me :D The way shadow falls also greatly changes perception.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18kwyi3l7g1wtgif/ku-xlarge.gif

frodrigues55
02-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Here's the screen:
http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.games.com/media/2013/02/articlepostwidthassassins-creed-4-black-flag-screenshot.jpg

OH. Blonde was a good call, then.

Regarding Edward - I think a lot of difference comes from rendering, a model can look very differently depending on how it's rendered (and, well, let's face it, a CGI render is going to be much more different from a gameplay real-time render). If you compare the elements separately - the eyebrows, the nose, the eyes, the square chin (though, shape of jaw as a whole was changed a bit I think), you'll find that they are very similar. Our perception says otherwise, though :)

Oh yeah, I know CGI's are going to look different, but I think they tweeked his face too. Even the slightest change in a face can make a huge difference, even if we can't exactly point out what changed. He certainly looks older in the game to me, though. Not a problem, the Edward we got fit the pirate life style more IMO. But no matter the light, the angle or the outfitt, I personally just couldn't picture playing with the guy on CGI, they look too different in my eyes.

EDIT: There were more screens in your original post, think that worked better for comparison due to different angles to see Edward's face from in both CGI and real-time versions :)

Oh you got that, lol :p I thought putting a bunch of pictures would put them too far so it would be harder to compare. I can't find the original pictures anymore though, lol.

poptartz20
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
OH. Blonde was a good call, then.

Oh yeah, I know CGI's are going to look different, but I think they tweeked his face too. Even the slightest change in a face can make a huge difference, even if we can't exactly point out what changed. He certainly looks older in the game to me, though. Not a problem, the Edward we got fit the pirate life style more IMO. But no matter the light, the angle or the outfitt, I personally just couldn't picture playing with the guy on CGI, they look too different in my eyes.

Oh you got that, lol :p I thought putting a bunch of pictures would put them too far so it would be harder to compare. I can't find the original pictures anymore though, lol.

Ahhh! you found those pictures I was talking about! thanks for bringing up that point! :D They look really different to me as well. Granted the version we got was more fit for the Pirate lifestyle. I wonder now with the next get systems x1 and ps4 will we eventually get gamplay on the same level of those CGI renders. That will be AWESOME.

And that first screenshot.. I wonder about it as there was nothing that really resembled it in the actual game.

Farlander1991
02-17-2014, 08:43 AM
And that first screenshot.. I wonder about it as there was nothing that really resembled it in the actual game.

Most likely some blurred out test environment as to not reveal anything from the actual game.

frodrigues55
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
That does look a bit like Connor to me, but the blurred out effects kinda reminds me of the Animus in AC4. That picture was released more than one year ago (I googled it to read some old articles), so I think it's true. It goes hand in hand to the Black Flag rumor back then.

@poptartz20, I'm glad I'm not the one who think there's 2 Edwards out there, lol. I don't think we are going to see that level of detail on a AC game, though. I think being open world holds back the graphics a little bit. I'm fine with it to be honest. Too realistic graphics scares me a little bit :eek:

LoyalACFan
02-17-2014, 05:01 PM

I think it would be wise for all AC fans to just totally disregard the CG trailers from here on out. Both the AC3 and AC4 trailers were WILDLY inaccurate to what we actually got in the game.