PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Tip to secure your savegame data (especially good for Windows 8 users).

TrasteTh
02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
As i recently discovered, UBI soft does not follow windows standards for handling user data and save your games under your user profile where it should be safe, but instead it saves it under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames".
This is idiotic and very poor coding, but thats how it is and when pointing this out to ubisoft support, they dont really seem to care.

I just lost 60h+ of gameplay, so i do care.

Windows 8 is in the habit of wiping all applications when doing a repair, restore or upgrade, but should keep user data safe and intact, but not for saved games not in the user profile folder.

Here's a useful tip:

Redirect the savegame folder to a location under your windows user profile using junction.
Junction is a free microsoft tool used to manage symbolic links, you can get it for free here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Now move your savegames folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames" on 64 bit Windows 8 or
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames on 32bit Windows 8
to your user profiles "My documents" like this:
"C:\Users\(your login)\Documents\savegames"

then open a command window and type:
junction "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames" "C:\Users\Bjorn\Documents\savegames"

or if you want to have them REALLY safe and available from anywhere in "the cloud" you can get a dropbox account here (free): https://db.tt/D2WZQgR
install the dropbox client and put the savegames folder in the dropbox folder:
"C:\Users\(your login)\Dropbox\savegames"

then run junction as above;
junction "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames" "C:\Users\(your login)\Dropbox\savegames"

Something similar should work for google drive, or any other similar service too.

Remember to do this BEFORE you loose them, not like me, after they are gone!

Good luck and happy gaming!

Alphacos007
02-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Nice tip, this symbolic links one. I might try it one of these days. I currently use the Dropbox one, every once in a while I go to Ubi folder and make a copy of them. After loosing 100+ gameplay hours because AC4's cloud saving was deactivated without any announce to the players, I got really mad lol.