PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of different AC games has changed over time?

Farlander1991
02-12-2014, 11:41 PM
The series gets 7 years old this year, and I'm wondering if you think of any of the games differently than you had before?

I've been trying to replay Assassin's Creed 1, which was my top-favourite AC game for the longest time (until AC4 came along)... and honestly I'm not sure I'll ever be able to replay it again. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of awesome stuff in it (my favourite part being the very comfortable ability to play fully HUD-less), and nothing can take away from the story and philosophy of the game, but, man, does going through it feel like a chore now.

The beginning is SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER slow, the whole part with the traitor inside Masyaf is just padding (well, technically those are tutorials, but they seem pointless because they could've easily been incorporated into Damascus). What I considered to be the best social stealth in the series now seems... meh. I mean, sure, the focus on social acceptance rather than notoriety is cool (and I think should be the base of social stealth going forward), but there's the blend button which kinda makes it all pointless for the most part. I also don't know how there was a time I was able to go through Kingdom on my horse in walk mode. And I didn't even get to Tamir. I went through a few investigations and thought, 'yeah, I don't really want to play this anymore, maybe I should try in a few years'.

But, anyway, have you revisited any of the older AC titles? Has the way you view certain things in them (or them as a whole) has changed as time has passed (to the worse or to the better)?

STDlyMcStudpants
02-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Assassins Creed Revelations was the greatest thing I've ever seen or played, 2 years later it'd be lucky to scratch my top 15 games.
Assassins Creed Brotherhood - insane fun..one year later not even in my top 20.
A massive library changes things...
Ac3 is still #1 for me :D

frodrigues55
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Started the series by playing AC1, had fun for the first 3 assassinations, thought it was damn boring by the fourth and abandoned.

Tried AC2 because everyone told me to. Loved, OMG Godzio. Went through it, Brotherhood and Revelations one after the other doing the story missions only.

AC3 was released by then. Dragged myself to reach the middle of the story. Had a big break once Tomb Raider was released. Finished Tomb Raider, forced myself to continue AC3's story. Didn't even remember the buttons properly, but I felt so bad for Connor's ending that I couldn't get him out of my mind.

So I decided to properly play the whole series again, this time, doing every single mission and side activity available. That's when I became a real fan of the series.

Can appreciate AC1 a lot now, in fact, I think it's quite unique.

Still loved AC2 and its spinoffs.

Loved AC3, beggining to end. It has one of the most beautiful moments in the series IMO.

Liked AC4 but thought something was missing.

Didn't like Tomb Raider much (first or second time)

Want to play them all a third time (minus Tomb Raider).

Alphacos007
02-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Yes, yes they did. Quite a lot actually. I used to dislike AC3 by all means, but I started replaying it these days and I actually liked it pretty much. From the worst AC game for me, it went to the top ones. The same happened with AC4, I liked it when I first played but it wasn't all that thing. Replaying it now for a 100% sync made it to the top of my list. I'd say it's the game I had more fun for quite a while.
I had the same problem as you while replaying AC1, but I still went through it. All the mysticism and stealth are the heart of the game.
Revelations that used to be the top of my list, is actually the last one for me now. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but I can't see myself replaying it for quite a while.

ze_topazio
02-13-2014, 12:54 AM
No, nothing changed.

LoyalACFan
02-13-2014, 01:07 AM
I think my overall opinion has remained fairly stable on every game except AC3. When it came out I hated it. Hated how bad they butchered the story, hated the mission design, hated Desmond's ending. And while I still hate those three specific aspects of it, I've been able to look past those faults and appreciate some of the better things it offered, notably the beautiful animations and the best combat in the series.

Kaschra
02-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah, mostly for ACB and AC3.

At first I wasn't too fond of Brotherhood. I couldn't enjoy it. But now I freally like it - that game is just hella fun to play.

And then there is AC3. The exact opposite of Brotherhood for me. At first I really liked it, but now... meh. Really meh.

IWGCJoeCool
02-13-2014, 02:37 AM
cant really say that anything has changed, as far as favorite game or favorite parts or total story. but, i can say i'm still playing ACIV-BF, not for any "replayability", but for "keep playability", and this has nothing at all to do with Initiates or Community Challenges. most of that is because of the Naval action, which is the most fun i've ever had with a game. i love getting to 4X N, then getting myself deep into trouble with Hunters closing in. but, if they show up when i'm free, i just let 'em chase me towards a fort, hit the parking brake, and watch lol

but, but, last couple of days i turned off the HUD completely. well, at sea i liked to get around without help as much as possible, but no mini-map means no compass, so mini-map on for naval. a seperate stand-alone compass, seperating the North mark from the rest of the mini-map woulda been nice.

but land stuff got more fun, with nothing but me(Eddie The Cruiser) onscreen...and i swear i'm getting better kills/animations and finish moves by not waiting for the redlight to come on from enemies. i'll take a beating, far deeper into health at times, but when i start seeing red, i know it's time to scramola awhile.

by this time in ACIII, i couldnt do any more. the Frontier was good for the main story but went yawn shortly after. like some YouTube stuff i've seen, i went for the mega body count a few times in NY and Boston, and that was it for the fun. one thing, ACIV doesnt give you the endless parade of redshirts, so i'll just keep running around until i find a fresh gang.

Fatal-Feit
02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
My perspectives and expectations for the future titles have certainly changed, but my opinion on the past games haven't been all that different, if not, just a slightly bit.

I'm still replaying the entire saga to refresh myself again but I'll rate with what I've managed so far.

AC:1 - 7 (2 points above average but definitely wasn't mediocre)
AC:2 - 8 (what a proper sequel should be like)
AC:B - 6 (6 is a generous number... but I had some fun)
AC:R - 8 (plotholes aside, this is definitely still my favorite of Ezio's Trilogy)
AC:3 - 7 (has its problems but still my favorite)
AC:L - 6 (enjoyed slightly more than brotherhood)
AC:4 - 9 (the best)

[edit] Although I must admit, my latest replay of AC:2 have certainly opened my eyes to many things. It was a heck of an enjoyable 30 hours ride that still offers some of the best missions to date. And tailing is also something that the game definitely knocked out of the park. AC:2 for me, wasn't much of an Assassin's Creed game like what people were praising it for, but it was still a good game, none the less.

jdowny
03-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Weirdly, if anything AC1 for me has improved over time. I don't mean that in terms of actually playing the games for the story and for the missions, because my God, they're repetitive. But for me it's the attention to detail, the setting, the graphics and lighting (which I still propose are better than AC II - Revelations). The combat felt stylish, brutal and challenging, the characters felt more real, three-dimensional and the tone of the story is darker (slashing a man multiple times in the middle of a market anyone? Burning a man alive? Breaking both his legs?).

I think the attention to detail is really what makes it stand out from many of the later games (particularly Ezio's trilogy). Altair's clothing swaying realistically with the wind, his various belt attachments moving as he walked - these were all details that Ezio lacked. But perhaps most of all it was the detail of the cities. I was looking at the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus in the game recently because I'd been there in real life and wanted to examine it up close - I was astounded to find that the gold leaf of the mosaics that cover its walls correctly reflect the sunlight, not to mention that the entire surface was accurately bump-mapped. The same is said of Jerusalem's Dome of the Rock and the dozens of other buildings in the cities. The detail was so great that I would spend hours wandering the streets, increasingly impressed with how much work they put in.

With Ezio's trilogy however, the graphics never impressed me to the same extent, which is odd considering they came afterwards. And though I love their stories, the characters and gameplay, they feel flat and dull when I come back to them. The combat feels too flashy and over the top. The secret lairs (as much as I love secret lairs) felt a bit too arcadey and too much like an Indiana Jones film. AC 1 had a simplicity, purity and brutality about it that continues to appeal to me.

The only other game that I've been pleasantly surprised coming back to was AC III. Unfortunately I'm one of the people who was disappointed by the game for a number of reasons I won't go into but which mainly involved the missions. Coming back to it and playing just to explore felt fresh and liberating - when it didn't matter how many guards I killed or what I did it was actually a lot of fun. Plus it seems to have the greatest attention to detail of any AC game since the first.

JustPlainQuirky
03-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Only got to play Ac3 and Ac4.

Wonder how much my opinion will change when I get ahold of the other games.

DumbGamerTag94
03-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Surprisingly my opinion of more recent AC games keeps rising every time I go through and scientifically compare aspects with older games, i.e. setting variety, protagonist variety, features, weapons, etc. I still feel story wise AC2 and Brotherhood are still my favorite but I am far more fond of the later ones in terms of gameplay. And I didn't always feel that way until I compared them side by side. Just my opinion though.

Farlander1991
03-30-2014, 07:16 PM
But for me it's the attention to detail, the setting, the graphics and lighting (which I still propose are better than AC II - Revelations).

It's worth noting that AC1 so far is the only AC game designed for total hud-less gameplay (which in my opinion totally changes the whole experience). Even throwing knives - you can know how many you have left just by looking at Altair, each knife is visually represented in the holsters (unlike, let's say, Ezio's games where all knives on the belt are always there regardless of how many you've got). This also transforms talks in the Bureau into much more important information - as they explain where to go to investigate (so we don't just blindly follow the icons), and you find missions by realizing the discrepancies in audio design, as well as use of Eagle Vision.

GunnerGalactico
03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Not much of my opinions have changed over the years.

AC1- a bit repetitive but still enjoyable
AC2- I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. My favourite one :)
ACB- Not as gripping as the first two but still enjoyed it
ACR- TBH I was excited for the bits when you get to play as Altair
AC3- Despite it's flaws. I still enjoyed the plot and is also my favourite :p
AC4- What's not to love? Definitely a personal favourite.

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
No, nothing changed.

That profile pic^, if it was true it would be amazing...

Thread topic:
I like to revisit the AC games randomly, like going to Italy or Constantinopla and explore it a bit... The last one i tried was AC1 and what seemed amazing back then, seems pretty basic now, like the mechanics and the repetitive missions, but it still has that mystique of rough and raw assassinations....
The animations and combat in AC3 seem better and better each time i revisit though....

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 08:27 PM
In some aspects. I liked brotherhood mechanic but after few games with it, I started to think that it wasn't really a good idea for the core idea of the franchise. The increasing micro-managing didn't help either. I liked how they made the recruits in AC3 individual characters, but in the end, everyone has to admit it was kind of a 'win' button in all games it appeared. A lot of the brotherhood ideas could've been implemented onto crowd control/interacting instead I think.

Ac3 is way more flawed than I was initially willing to admit but it doesn't change my respect for its ambition and how much risks it took and Black Flag would not happen if it wasn't for AC3 willing to take the risk. It owns it a lot, especially when it comes to the overall balance of the mechanics, yet people act as if AC3 did nothing right while AC4 invented everything and got it immediately right. It didn't, it had experience of AC3's successes and mistakes as a feedback. Same situation as with AC1-AC2.

Rev got way more hate than it deserved.

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:31 PM
My opinion has actualy stayed almost the same. I only started to love acr and ac3 a lot more when I got over my initial dissapointment. But once the next game has been announed my opinion on previous games has barely changed.

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 08:33 PM
In some aspects. I liked brotherhood mechanic but after few games with it, I started to think that it wasn't really a good idea for the core idea of the franchise. The increasing micro-managing didn't help either. I liked how they made the recruits in AC3 individual characters, but in the end, everyone has to admit it was kind of a 'win' button in all games it appeared. A lot of the brotherhood ideas could've been implemented onto crowd control/interacting instead I think.

Ac3 is way more flawed than I was initially willing to admit but it doesn't change my respect for its ambition and how much risks it took and Black Flag would not happen if it wasn't for AC3 willing to take the risk. It owns it a lot, especially when it comes to the overall balance of the mechanics, yet people act as if AC3 did nothing right while AC4 invented everything and got it immediately right. It didn't, it had experience of AC3's successes and mistakes as a feedback. Same situation as with AC1-AC2.

Rev got way more hate than it deserved.

Yeah, completely agree... AC3 and AC:R got a lot of undeserved hate......

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah, completely agree... AC3 and AC:R got a lot of undeserved hate......
AC3 was kinda deserved, they advertised it as the holy grail, but instead gave us a descent game with tons of flaws and broken promises.

Megas_Doux
03-30-2014, 08:40 PM
I disliked ACR at first, but I grew to enjoy enjoy the game and recognize the work of its deveps.

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 08:45 PM
AC3 was kinda deserved, they advertised it as the holy grail, but instead gave us a descent game with tons of flaws and broken promises.

It's true they misleaded us a bit, but in my opinion the animations, graphics and world atmosphere seemed in that time like a half-next-gen-game, if you get me.... altough, the way the main story and missions worked together kinda sucked, with little dynamic and seemed pretty rush also...

GunnerGalactico
03-30-2014, 08:48 PM

In AC3 the ideas were there, but some of the mission designs were flawed and there were bugs and glitches- that's what let the game down IMO.

oliacr
03-30-2014, 08:56 PM

I don't think so. I didn't have any problems with AC3. I loved it. It was great. People are saying that it has tons of flaws, but I've never discovered anything huge - like these small flaws were in the previous games as well. On the mission side, I don't know I don't remember well.

SixKeys
03-30-2014, 10:01 PM
The only other game that I've been pleasantly surprised coming back to was AC III. Unfortunately I'm one of the people who was disappointed by the game for a number of reasons I won't go into but which mainly involved the missions. Coming back to it and playing just to explore felt fresh and liberating - when it didn't matter how many guards I killed or what I did it was actually a lot of fun. Plus it seems to have the greatest attention to detail of any AC game since the first.

While my opinion of AC3 as a whole hasn't changed (if anything, my dislike for it increases every time I dive into it again), I definitely agree that freeroaming and just running around causing mayhem is the best way to have fun with the game. Messing around with the various game mechanics in freeroam also makes it clearer what their intended use was. The "start a riot" mechanic, for example, was never explained in the plot at all. I got frustrated the first few times I tried it because I thought it was meant as a distraction mechanic, to lure the guards' attention away from me while I snuck past. But every time I got too close to the rioters, I was pulled into a fight. When I was simply messing around in freeroam, not even trying to roleplay as a stealthy assassin, I used the mechanic a few times by situating myself on a rooftop and calling in one of my assassin recruits to start a riot below. Then I simply sat back and enjoyed the show.

The same goes for combat. Combat is one of the least interesting aspects of AC to me, so having a broken stealth/detection system in this game was unbelievably frustrating, because I kept getting into fights when I didn't want to. When you throw caution to the wind and just go around looking for a fight, you can have a lot of fun. It gave me a reason to experiment with the various tools a lot more, like the rope dart and bombs, which are barely useful in the main campaign.

I even accidentally discovered the Thieves' Club simply by walking around and randomly pickpocketing people. This is easy to miss in the campaign because Connor - unlike the rascally Ezio or Edward - doesn't naturally strike you as a person who would steal from people. So I never pickpocketed people unless strictly required to do so, because it made no sense from a roleplaying point of view. Once I stopped roleplaying and just walked around being a ******, I was suddenly invited to participate in a game mechanic I didn't even know existed! Which is actually a great way to discover new content in a game. Problem is, it has to make sense within the context of your game for people to even try it. For Connor to be invited into a Hunting Club makes sense, but a Thieves' Club? It's better to put hidden content in your game that fits the character. Give Connor a proper reason to pickpocket people (like, say, not drowning the player in money with convoys and steady income).

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 10:06 PM
It's true they misleaded us a bit, but in my opinion the animations, graphics and world atmosphere seemed in that time like a half-next-gen-game, if you get me.... altough, the way the main story and missions worked together kinda sucked, with little dynamic and seemed pretty rush also...

...also, the soundtrack in AC3 was AMAZING in my opinion.....

ze_topazio
03-30-2014, 11:50 PM
That profile pic^, if it was true it would be amazing...

It is true, caro amigo.

Hans684
03-31-2014, 03:24 PM
AC2 and ACB was my favorite games but now(actually it's a long time since they got to the end) they are are at the end. Every other AC > AC2 > ACB.