PDA

View Full Version : Why do all assassins have to be miserable? [spoilers for many parts of the AC story]

AherasSTRG
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM
I have just finished reading AC: Brahman and I found it incredible. Better than The Fall and certainly better than The Chain (Brahman > Fall > Chain). Anyway, what I 'd like to address mostly in this thread is the fact that from the stories involved in the AC universe, most end up badly:
[AC Embers spoilers] - Ezio died trying to figure out what the hell was happening to him his entire life without any results.

[AC3 spoilers] - Connor's story ended with him being betrayed and his village abandoned.

[AC4 Black Flag Novel and Forsaken Novel spoilers) - Edward was murdered by his trusted friend, Birch, and his son made a Templar.

[Initiates mission (?) spoiler] - Adewale was forced to leave Bastienne behind and was also murdered in the end.

[Assassin's Creed The Fall, Assassin's Creed The Chain spoilers] - Orelov... Do I really have to talk about this guy? Lost his allies, lost trust to the assassins, lost his family, lost his home, lost his country, gets murdered as well in the end.

[AC Brahman spoilers] - And Brahman... The assassin's story went well, but for the guy, Jot Soora: his wife had sex in a virtual reality machine while reliving her genetic memories (poor Jot...), his wife gets killed, his cute assistant that liked him gets murdered, he (most likely) loses his job and starts living as a fugitive (we might learn more about him in the future)

[AC spoilers] - Desmond: Just by the time I start liking him, BAM, he dies, because "Master Plan, *****"

[AC1 and ACL spoilers] - Altair is the assassin that lived the most (92 years), and I believe he is, along with Aveline, a character that had great misfortunes in life, but made it to the very end.

What do you think about the above stories? Did you feel a bit depressed like me when you finished reading Orelov's and Jot's / his ancestor's stories? Is an assassin's destiny always tied with misfortune?

ze_topazio
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Modernity, this days stories are only considered mature and serious if lots of tragedy is involved.

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Modernity, this days stories are only considered mature and serious if lots of tragedy is involved.

I have to agree, unfortunately.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-12-2014, 05:50 PM
There's a difference between a hard life and a miserable one.
None of the assassin's (imo) have been miserable.

AherasSTRG
02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
There's a difference between a hard life and a miserable one.
None of the assassin's (imo) have been miserable.
I won't agree.
Spoilers again:
Ezio's last days (even years) were definitely miserable, constant effort to understand and despair on top of his papers.
Connor's visiting his village at the end of AC3 must have been among the most miserable moments I have witnessed in entertainement media. It was the nullification of everything he had done in his life.
Orelov's story was a story of constant loss, away from his country.
Edward lived life well, but isn't miserable to be murdered by a close ally?
etc etc.

Assassin_M
02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
"The life of an Assassin is pain, Jun. you suffer it, you inflict it, you watch it happen with the hope that it might disappear in time" - Ezio Auditore

Someone who's whole life was built around death. He was raised to be a killing machine. to follow orders and fight till death (Altair)

He was pushed towards vengeance by a tragedy, embraced an order that puts Assassination as the only way to accomplish peace and put an end to tyranny (Ezio)

He yearned for Justice, freedom and equality and sought a misguided revenge against Charles Lee. he was shaped by the tragedy that befell his Village and the sad fate of his people (Connor)

Lived his life wanting infamy, fame, freedom and fortune, went around getting them through death and theft, then found his place among an order of legendary killers sworn to defend the freedom of humanity (Edward)

Was haunted by his past and it caught up to him, he was born into an order he never chose and his death meant saving the world (Desmond)

lived his life by the Creed, killing, chasing and torturing. saw the future and past, then became disillusioned after so much death. wanted peace and freedom, but his past wouldn't allow it (Nikolai)

do you REALLY think they'd live happily ever after??

Farlander1991
02-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I think it's pushing it to say that all the Assassins' lives are miserable. There are hardships, and despair, and misery in absolutely any life of any person, that doesn't necessarily make the life itself miserable (unless it consists only or mostly of the listed above things).

That said, rephrasing a quote from the Dark Knight movie, when you become an Assassin, you either eventually retire in peace (like Ezio) or fight long enough to lose any hope of a normal life (like Altair, and possibly Connor). The thing about Assassins is that they make a sacrifice, which is: they fight for something bigger than themselves. Truth, and peace. The Creed. And it's a battle that cannot be won, only fought for.

LoyalACFan
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
"The life of an Assassin is pain, Jun. you suffer it, you inflict it, you watch it happen with the hope that it might disappear in time" - Ezio Auditore

Someone who's whole life was built around death. He was raised to be a killing machine. to follow orders and fight till death (Altair)

He was pushed towards vengeance by a tragedy, embraced an order that puts Assassination as the only way to accomplish peace and put an end to tyranny (Ezio)

He yearned for Justice, freedom and equality and sought a misguided revenge against Charles Lee. he was shaped by the tragedy that befell his Village and the sad fate of his people (Connor)

Lived his life wanting infamy, fame, freedom and fortune, went around getting them through death and theft, then found his place among an order of legendary killers sworn to defend the freedom of humanity (Edward)

Was haunted by his past and it caught up to him, he was born into an order he never chose and his death meant saving the world (Desmond)

lived his life by the Creed, killing, chasing and torturing. saw the future and past, then became disillusioned after so much death. wanted peace and freedom, but his past wouldn't allow it (Nikolai)

This.

But I don't necessarily think they were all miserable either. All of their lives involved a fair amount of tragedy (Altair lost Al Mualim, Sef, Maria, and Malik, Ezio lost his whole family, Connor lost Achilles and his entire culture, Nikolai lost his wife, brother and daughter, and Edward lost all of his pirate friends) but I think most of them sorted everything out in the end. Ezio specifically mentioned in his last letter that although he never discovered the full extent of his destiny, he was still content knowing that he had done what was right and was ultimately able to retire peacefully and raise a family. Connor's cut soliloquy mentions that he is still hopeful and determined despite everything he'd been through. And Edward, even though all of his friends had already died, he was able to achieve what he set out to do; become a man of quality and a good father. His life got cut short, true, but at least he got a quick death, and Haytham turned out to be a good man in his own right despite his indoctrination by Birch.

I find it interesting that the OP pointed to Altair as one of the least tragic protagonists, because I actually think his story is by far the saddest. Yeah, he lived to the ripe old age of 92, but he spent the last 30 of those years wracked with guilt over Maria's death and staring into the Apple, which even gave him hallucinations about Maria. Then he lived just long enough to see his Order scattered and his fortress abandoned before dying alone in a dungeon vault, still not knowing what was to become his actions in life... Yeah. The last 1/3 of his life was hellish. And Nikolai's life sucked from childhood onward, so I won't even get into that. Bottom line, I think Altair and Nikolai were the only "miserable" ones.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
LOL?
Connor's life not miserable?
- His mother died when he was a little kid.
- He lived as a "half native" , this may not seem a big problem in the game, but I am sure it wasn't very fun.
- He discovers his father is on the opposite side when he is a teen
- He is constantly the Puppet of the patriots.
- He is about to get hanged to death when he is like 23 or something.
- He has to kill his best friend. And he didn't had many so that must have been a MASSIVE blow to him.
- He has to kill his father just after willing to spend more time with him.
- He is betrayed by Washington, the man that he hes served for years.
- When he finalyy returns to his village everyone is gone, everything he fought for all those years for nothing.
- Achillis, his mentor and " second father dies when he isn't even 30.
So yeah, I could probably add some more things but I am too lazy. But saying Connors life wasn't miserable so far is just wrong. He lost all his friends and family.

Assassin_M
02-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Comparing tragedies is daft. on that note, actually...comparing tragedies, sorrows, joys and accomplishments is daft..

They all had their tragedies and Joys...they all led radical lives, faced sorrow and happiness and came out different individuals from each endeavor...lets leave it at that so as to not turn this thread into another fan-boy/girl war...

lothario-da-be
02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Comparing tragedies is daft. on that note, actually...comparing tragedies, sorrows, joys and accomplishments is daft..

They all had their tragedies and Joys...they all led radical lives, faced sorrow and happiness and came out different individuals from each endeavor...lets leave it at that so as to not turn this thread into another fan-boy/girl war...
Very true, but i wasn't defending Connor because I am a big fan. Just stated some facts.

Assassin_M
02-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Very true, but i wasn't defending Connor because I am a big fan. Just stated some facts.
Oh It wasn't targeted directly at you, it was just in general...

lothario-da-be
02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Oh It wasn't targeted directly at you, it was just in general...
Ah okay, nevermind then.

Assassin_M
02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Ah okay, nevermind then.
You're fine xP

LoyalACFan
02-12-2014, 09:11 PM
LOL?
- He lived as a "half native" , this may not seem a big problem in the game, but I am sure it wasn't very fun.
- He has to kill his best friend. And he didn't had many so that must have been a MASSIVE blow to him.
- When he finalyy returns to his village everyone is gone, everything he fought for all those years for nothing.
So yeah, I could probably add some more things but I am too lazy. But saying Connors life wasn't miserable so far is just wrong. He lost all his friends and family.

He probably had the hardest life out of all of them, but no, he wasn't miserable. That much is evident by his monologue. Having a hard life doesn't necessarily mean you are miserable overall.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
He probably had the hardest life out of all of them, but no, he wasn't miserable. That much is evident by his monologue. Having a hard life doesn't necessarily mean you are miserable overall.
Maybe, but that monologue takes place when he has maybe "accepted" his fate. Also at that time he had the Homestead to take care of wich was some kind of new home, but that makes his life less miserable from that point onwards.

LoyalACFan
02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Maybe, but that monologue takes place when he has maybe "accepted" his fate. Also at that time he had the Homestead to take care of wich was some kind of new home, but that makes his life less miserable from that point onwards.

Well yeah, that's what I mean, he had a lot of bad stuff happen to him (probably more than any other Assassin), but before he was even 30 he was able to accept it and move on to a new life as the head of the Homestead and Assassins. Whereas I don't think Altair or Nikolai were ever really able to overcome their losses and live "happily ever after" as it were.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Well yeah, that's what I mean, he had a lot of bad stuff happen to him (probably more than any other Assassin), but before he was even 30 he was able to accept it and move on to a new life as the head of the Homestead and Assassins. Whereas I don't think Altair or Nikolai were ever really able to overcome their losses and live "happily ever after" as it were.
True, that seems to be Ezio's strongest point, carry on no matter what, live a happy life :p

STDlyMcStudpants
02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
LOL?

You seem to misunderstand.
Miserable is a state of being.
Nothing can bring misery onto you, only you can bring misery onto yourself.

Azurefeatherfly
02-12-2014, 11:25 PM
"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed." - Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass

How can anyone have any sense of normality when constantly being consumed by this instinctive and second nature mentality?

For one who treats killing as a job, it is in their nature to suffer the guilt, grief, mistrust, paranoia, loneliness, misunderstanding, and hopelessness that comes with the job. Self-inflicted psychological agony, mental torture and emotional trauma are the despair that they are meant to suffer when they chose the path to take life. Their only solace is that they do it for the "greater good", at least that is the intent.

They must suffer them because they are human beings with brains and hearts, that think and feel. Maybe a little cliche, they must also suffer the greed of longing for true companionship that is empathetic and understanding over their lonesome world filled with blood. Their ends are bittersweet because death relieves them of their suffering.

IWGCJoeCool
02-13-2014, 02:03 AM
not trying to put words in the OP's mouth, but maybe he didnt mean "miserable" in it's strictest meaning. all fiction with a hero has elements of tragedy overcome for some greater purpose. it makes the story interesting, and has always been so.

read something somewhere once, that there are only like 10 "stories" that can be told. i imagine an AC game/story would be pretty well boring if the "hero" was happy at the start, won every fight/battle, never had a problem, then sailed west with Frodo, Gandolph, and assorted Elves to some eternal life. and even these merry and carefree Hobbits were torn from their lives, enduring fear, pain, and loss to get to the end. just saying, find a story anywhere that doesnt happen, and who would want to read/play/watch it?

LoyalACFan
02-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Gandolph

You have no idea how much this wounded me.

Megas_Doux
02-13-2014, 03:25 AM

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/vH_5CgIUSQ8/hqdefault.jpg

Haha.

GunnerGalactico
02-13-2014, 08:12 AM

No argument there.. I didn't get the sense he was miserable. He had a tough life, but he didn't complain or wallow in self pity about it. You could see the joy in his face when he helped people out during the Homestead Missions. Come to think of it, the only time I saw Connor frustrated was when he got into an argument with Achilles but he did apologise. For me, Connor is a no-nonsense, straight-to-the-point, no time for small talk kind of guy, but he is impulsive and arrogant. I guess that's why many people didn't like him that much.

That's just my opinion.. you don't have to agree with me.

poptartz20
02-13-2014, 10:27 AM
No argument there.. I didn't get the sense he was miserable. He had a tough life, but he didn't complain or wallow in self pity about it. You could see the joy in his face when he helped people out during the Homestead Missions. Come to think of it, the only time I saw Connor frustrated was when he got into an argument with Achilles but he did apologise. For me, Connor is a no-nonsense, straight-to-the-point, no time for small talk kind of guy, but he is impulsive and arrogant. I guess that's why many people didn't like him that much.

That's just my opinion.. you don't have to agree with me.

Haha... I can for sure see Haytham and Edward in there. But I would agree with this.

avk111
02-14-2014, 12:22 AM
It's interesting that OP bought this matter to light,

As much as most fans think it's "cool" to be an assassin ,it's the sh!t to hunt down Templars , they don't realize the implication of such a job or duty.

we all live right now in our houses with families or friends with a determined goal for out future, can you imagine losing all your life prevligies and assets whether tangible or sentimental all for some creed ?

can you imagine seeing everyone you love go away and all your lifestyle completely changed as you are no longer a person of the society but an underworld being living your life with one task and one task only I.e. The creed

and all of this for the greater good of human kind, can you imagine the sacrifice your putting on the line here ? Not to mention the creed also teaches it's student the nihilism teaching this this life is all we get and your main task is to insure the freedom of humanity.

No it's an easy task , Achillies said it " life is not a fairy tale and there is no happy ending"

lets be be sheep instead and enjoy what life has to offer us :)

LoyalACFan
02-14-2014, 12:41 AM
It's interesting that OP bought this matter to light,

As much as most fans think it's "cool" to be an assassin ,it's the sh!t to hunt down Templars , they don't realize the implication of such a job or duty.

we all live right now in our houses with families or friends with a determined goal for out future, can you imagine losing all your life prevligies and assets whether tangible or sentimental all for some creed ?

can you imagine seeing everyone you love go away and all your lifestyle completely changed as you are no longer a person of the society but an underworld being living your life with one task and one task only I.e. The creed

and all of this for the greater good of human kind, can you imagine the sacrifice your putting on the line here ? Not to mention the creed also teaches it's student the nihilism teaching this this life is all we get and your main task is to insure the freedom of humanity.

No it's an easy task , Achillies said it " life is not a fairy tale and there is no happy ending"

lets be be sheep instead and enjoy what life has to offer us :)

Except none of them actually gave up anything to become Assassins. They all lived in freaking mansions or castles. Their losses didn't come until they were truly part of the Brotherhood, they didn't intentionally sacrifice anything.

phoenix-force411
02-14-2014, 12:57 AM

Definitely this! Life as an assassin isn't all colourful rainbows.

UltimaAssassin7
02-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Because of there loved ones that are being killed by the Assassin's enemies

I-Like-Pie45
02-14-2014, 03:12 PM
its because assassins secretly like to listen to the smiths and morrissey at full blast 24/7

for templars, they prefer the cure

that's why they're so miserable

Dome500
02-14-2014, 04:14 PM
It's like Al Mualim said:

"I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing at the wind. For in much wisdom, is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow."

IWGCJoeCool
02-15-2014, 01:56 AM

ya know, sorry...i was goona chek it befoor pasting, but i fordot.

HiddenKiller612
02-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Great men and women are born from tragedy. You either accept it and continue fighting, or perish under the weight of your sorrow.