PDA

View Full Version : Animating The 3rd Assassin!

straty88
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Jonathan Cooper (Animation Director on AC3) posted an incredibly detailed blog post regarding the approach he and his team took to animation in Assassin's Creed 3. Note this is 10 pages long so there's a lot to take in for some people, however I think it's more than worth the read. It also has a lot of cool videos showing early prototypes, some behind closed doors videos (Bunker hill sections) and a rather cool alpha trailer. :)

Link: http://www.gameanim.com/2014/02/11/animating-3rd-assassin/
Jonathans Twitter for anyone interested: https://twitter.com/GameAnim

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Jonathan Cooper (Animation Director on AC3) posted an incredibly detailed blog post regarding the approach he and his team took to animation in Assassin's Creed 3. Note this is 10 pages long so there's a lot to take in for some people, however I think it's more than worth the read. It also has a lot of cool videos showing early prototypes, some behind closed doors videos (Bunker hill sections) and a rather cool alpha trailer. :)

Link: http://www.gameanim.com/2014/02/11/animating-3rd-assassin/
Jonathans Twitter for anyone interested: https://twitter.com/GameAnim

Just saw this… Pretty damn good TBH!

LoyalACFan
02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
To AC3's credit, the revamped animation set was one thing that they totally knocked out of the park. They're some of the most fluid and natural-looking I've ever seen in a game.

Assassin_M
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Must be really heart breaking for Jonathan and his team to see their amazing work get overshadowed by the other admittedly mediocre elements of the game.this was a great read. I urge everyone who only watched the video to read everything...it's really worth it.

Thank you, OP...now...i'll go play AC III again :|

EVA Spartan 317
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
It's from the article, take a look at the facial animations and Ratonhnhaké:ton outfit isn't that awesome?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLaFFF7xs-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And this: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQRbq3SmAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was a trailer if I remember right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgkL5qsGBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice found by the way, it really shows how awesome AC III could be!

straty88
02-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Must be really heart breaking for Jonathan and his team to see their amazing work get overshadowed by the other admittedly mediocre elements of the game.this was a great read. I urge everyone who only watched the video to read everything...it's really worth it.

Indeed it's unfortunate but I guess they did get the recognition they deserved after winning the DICE award, for outstanding achievement in animation last year.

Edit: Also as M quite rightly said, everyone should give it a read. Incredibly insightful, even if you don't really have any interest in animation.

LoyalACFan
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Indeed it's unfortunate but I guess they did get the recognition they deserved after winning the DICE award, for outstanding achievement in animation last year.

Edit: Also as M quite rightly said, everyone should give it a read. Incredibly insightful, even if you don't really have any interest in animation.

I'm actually planning on specializing in animation, so it was quite fascinating for me :) Dear God, I'm a nerd... That last video almost brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. Anybody know what the song was?

straty88
02-11-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm actually planning on specializing in animation, so it was quite fascinating for me :) Dear God, I'm a nerd... That last video almost brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. Anybody know what the song was?

I'm also planning on specializing in animation actually haha and yeah that last video was fantastic, I also really liked the extended target footage. Some of those animations (Tree traversal in particular) were really cool. Wish it was released to the public earlier. No idea what the song name is unfortunately. Guess you could ask Jonathan on Twitter. :P

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 12:54 AM

Said all I would say and even a bit more.

frodrigues55
02-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Gonna take a look at it later, thanks for posting!

AC3's animations are just so gorgeous and fluid. It makes me wonder why they were replaced with those half-assed jerky Black Flag moves? :confused:

LoyalACFan
02-12-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm also planning on specializing in animation actually haha and yeah that last video was fantastic, I also really liked the extended target footage. Some of those animations (Tree traversal in particular) were really cool. Wish it was released to the public earlier. No idea what the song name is unfortunately. Guess you could ask Jonathan on Twitter. :P

Wow, really? I guess when you're hanging out in a gaming forum, you'll run into a few other people with the same career ideas as you :p But yeah, the target footage is incredible, though even when I saw it pre-release, I knew the in-game treerunning would never look that pretty. Even though the branches look a lot denser (and perhaps partly BECAUSE they were a lot denser) you could tell that it's one very linear path he's on, with very specialized animations for transitioning from one awkwardly-placed branch to another. And that could work in a smaller, more linear map (like an Uncharted game for instance) I knew they couldn't implement it through the whole frontier. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome as is in the game, but in the target footage it's drool-worthy. The bouncing of the branches after you jump off is cool too.

I don't have a Twitter D:

Fatal-Feit
02-12-2014, 02:44 AM

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mq98wn.jpg

LoyalACFan
02-12-2014, 02:50 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mq98wn.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/91/2f/b0/912fb066a4344ec2e46ef859ea3cf79d.jpg

Just kidding, I'm not a redneck, a homophobe, or a Duck Dynasty viewer, and I go into a catatonic state if I'm deprived of Internet access for over 24 hours :)

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-12-2014, 02:51 AM

Neither do I ^_^

straty88
02-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Wow, really? I guess when you're hanging out in a gaming forum, you'll run into a few other people with the same career ideas as you :p But yeah, the target footage is incredible, though even when I saw it pre-release, I knew the in-game treerunning would never look that pretty. Even though the branches look a lot denser (and perhaps partly BECAUSE they were a lot denser) you could tell that it's one very linear path he's on, with very specialized animations for transitioning from one awkwardly-placed branch to another. And that could work in a smaller, more linear map (like an Uncharted game for instance) I knew they couldn't implement it through the whole frontier. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome as is in the game, but in the target footage it's drool-worthy. The bouncing of the branches after you jump off is cool too.

Haha yeah, that's one of the reasons I still visit these forums semi-frequently. It's awesome to hear/see stuff from people wanting to get into the industry. Always can learn from others etc. Yeah I love those animations, it's unfortunate that these types of animations with the combination of the world are such a massive undertaking. However it does it's purpose perfectly. Plus I can dream it might someday look like that. :P

Ureh
02-13-2014, 06:21 PM
It would've been nice if they included "behind the scenes" videos like those onto the game disc. So far I've only played one game, god of war 3, with a boat load of "b-t-s" vids. There's just something very enrapturing about witnessing all the time and sweat that brought the games to life.

LoyalACFan
02-13-2014, 06:42 PM
It would've been nice if they included "behind the scenes" videos like those onto the game disc. So far I've only played one game, god of war 3, with a boat load of "b-t-s" vids. There's just something very enrapturing about witnessing all the time and sweat that brought the games to life.

If I remember correctly, Uncharted 2 has a bunch of developer diary stuff on the disc, but it was mostly little interview snippets and concept art. They didn't show much pre-alpha gameplay, which to me is one of the most interesting things to see.

Megas_Doux
02-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Pretty good!!!!

ze_topazio
02-14-2014, 01:05 AM
I don't a Twitter account too, I'm too cool for those trendy fads. :cool:

LoyalACFan
02-14-2014, 01:09 AM
I don't a Twitter account too, I'm too cool for those trendy fads. :cool:

Me and you, just a couple o' badasses lol :p

EchoFiveKilo
02-14-2014, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0j9bENn8E

Someone please tell me the move at 1:58 is in the game.

Back to the point, I've been waiting for the animation director to write an article like this. One of the most interesting things about AC3 was how perfect its animation was. From the combat to the parkour, and even just walking and running, even including the smallest nuances, like shifting weight when running. This game easily has some of the best animation in a video game ever, the only games that are equal are Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - both Ubisoft games.I really hope theyre working on AC5's animation, I hate to badmouth AC4 but its animation was absolutely terrible when compared to AC3. How did it go from AC3 quality, to blocky and jerky animations in AC4?

I really loved watching the dev videos too, I just wish he posted more mocap videos. Seeing the exact moves in the game, performed in real life is just so interesting.

LoyalACFan
02-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Someone please tell me the move at 1:58 is in the game.

Don't believe it's actually in the game. That was alpha code after all.

EchoFiveKilo
02-14-2014, 10:03 AM

Why oh why did they take out so many cool animations...

Sushiglutton
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
This was a very interesting read and there is no denying the outstanding work the animators did on AC3. Unfortunately I feel some of it was on the expense of gameplay. In particular combat is clearly designed to show off cool animations rather than working as an cool system, which for me kills the joy. The cool cinematic camera angles Cooper promoted is part of the dissease imo.

What I enjoy most about the animations is the way Connor run and jump. The sense of weight and at the same time gracefullness is really epic and a joy to watch. I actually did a lot of running forward just wiggling the stick left and right to watch Connor shift his balance, never seen anything like it in a game before.

Anyway I hope they are able to leverage all this knowledge while at the same time allowing the gameplay engineers (or wtf they are called) to leave more of a mark.

GunnerGalactico
02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
I watched and read everything, it was definitely worth the time. I really enjoyed the free-running and fight training segments. I now have a better understanding of how the game development for AC3 went down.

BATISTABUS
02-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Fantastic read. We don't really get much for this kind of behind the scenes stuff, so I enjoyed the hell out of this. Really interesting. Cool Connor concept arts as well.

Fatal-Feit
02-17-2014, 09:31 AM

I believe it IS in the game, IIRC. I remember performing it more than once during combat. It's part of the chain kill with fists, except unlike AC:IV which mainstreamed the combat, executing particular kills are VERY VERY difficult.

Fatal-Feit
02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGEXfOmaMc

A video compilation with most of AC:3's pre-alpha footage. Watch the entire thing if you want an incentive to replay AC:3. Or just watch it in general because this **** is awesome.

straty88
02-17-2014, 03:37 PM
A video compilation with most of AC:3's pre-alpha footage. Watch the entire thing if you want an incentive to replay AC:3. Or just watch it in general because this **** is awesome.

And this is why I love visiting these forums. Even though I've seen all of those clips, it's nice to see them all in one video. :) Thanks for sharing!

I just remembered a video that I watched a while back that I loved. Along the same vain as the Alpha animation video. Some people might have already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IosqQrliso&list=FL_ktk9n2T9PQ5yaSzM1gSIw& index=7

I should point out JUST IN-CASE SPOILERS for the above video.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-17-2014, 05:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGEXfOmaMc

Part of the reason I still play AC3 to this day :P

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
And this is why I love visiting these forums. Even though I've seen all of those clips, it's nice to see them all in one video. :) Thanks for sharing!

I just remembered a video that I watched a while back that I loved. Along the same vain as the Alpha animation video. Some people might have already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IosqQrliso&list=FL_ktk9n2T9PQ5yaSzM1gSIw& index=7

I should point out JUST IN-CASE SPOILERS for the above video.

First. time. I. ever. seen. this. video… THIS. VIDEO. IS. TOO. EPIC. FOR. COMPLETE. SENTENCES. <3

LoyalACFan
02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
First. time. I. ever. seen. this. video… THIS. VIDEO. IS. TOO. EPIC. FOR. COMPLETE. SENTENCES. <3

Too right! That was incredible. Better than any official trailer for AC3 by far.

lothario-da-be
02-17-2014, 06:06 PM
That vid makes me wanna replay ac3 so bad!

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
That vid makes me wanna replay ac3 so bad!

Go for it! You know you want to! :)

lothario-da-be
02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Go for it! You know you want to! :)
No time :(

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
No time :(

Make time!

JK.. I understand :(

lothario-da-be
02-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Make time!

JK.. I understand :(
I already have to make time for: ac4, the last of us, liberation hd, far cry 3, gow ascension and Castlevania lords of shadow. Its gonna take some time before i can play ac3 again :p

I-Like-Pie45
02-17-2014, 06:29 PM
wow lothario

you are way behind in gaming

GunnerGalactico
02-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Watching those 2 videos reminds me why I enjoyed AC3 so much.. despite of what other people think or say.

lothario-da-be
02-17-2014, 06:33 PM
wow lothario

you are way behind in gaming
I know, There are only some franchises that i buy in the first month, all others i buy after a year, or more cause i can't pay 10 new games a year + collecting ac stuf.
btw just completed infamous 2 and bioschock 2 for the first time, and i got BS 2 when i was 14 for my birthday... ( I will be 17 on February 24 :p)

straty88
02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Too right! That was incredible. Better than any official trailer for AC3 by far.

While I agree to an extent. I LOVE the Connor story trailer soooo much. Imo the best Official trailer released for AC.

@Lothario I've got a large libary of games I should be playing (Thank you Playstation Plus) but I'm infiltrating Fort Wolcott as we speak. :P

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Watching those 2 videos reminds me why I enjoyed AC3 so much.. despite of what other people think or say.

You and me both, dude :P

Ureh
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the vids! Really impressive stuff. Thank you. :cool::o