PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag's (impressive) sales figures released

frodrigues55
02-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I was a bit curious to find out how well Black Flag sold. Its release was clearly lower profile compared to AC3, so I wondered if AC4 would go back to AC's normal figures (which are already high) or maintain itself higher like AC3 was.

Higher it is, although Blag Flag does benefit from the new generation consoles:

UBISOFT® REPORTS THIRD-QUARTER 2013-14 SALES

Excellent momentum for Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, with some 10 million sell-in units. This performance bears witness to both the high quality of the game and the franchise’s strong dynamic with gamers. (...)

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag performed particularly well, reinforcing the franchise’s long-term potential and therefore its upcoming iteration. This robust showing was achieved thanks to the excellence of our teams, our extensive development capacities and the efficiency of our Lead and Associate studio structure.

Full report here: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/pressrelease_downloadablemm_20140210_032818_ubisof tq3fy14englishfinaltcm99128094.pdf

I also read this on IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-sales-reach-10-million):

During a conference call this afternoon, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot did note that sales of Black Flag during the first six weeks of this year are outpacing those of AC3 during the same span last year, suggesting the latest game may have a longer tail as more people get their hands on next-gen consoles.

Here's how every game has done so far:

AC 1 - 8 million copies
AC 2 - 9 million copies
AC B - 8 million copies
AC R - 7 million copies
AC 3 - 12 million copies
AC 4 - 10 million copies

Congrats to everyone involved on the game, it must be awesome to get this type of recognition! :o

The official report also mentions there's 5 big tittles coming for Ubisoft this year, but they don't mention AC5 as one of the 3 they named.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Impressive numbers indeed… AC3 on top = WIN

I can't judge a game by its jacket, but since I haven't played AC4BF yet and it looks like its about pirates, I am really cautious to play O_O but I'm only basing this on the cover art...

Assassin_M
02-11-2014, 01:00 AM
I can't judge a game by its jacket, but since I haven't played AC4BF yet and it looks like its about pirates, I am really cautious to play O_O but I'm only basing this on the cover art...
It has Connor in it..

okay that was too mean, he's not in it

AdamPearce
02-11-2014, 01:10 AM
It seems to big to be true, but good for them, bad for AC.

Megas_Doux
02-11-2014, 01:14 AM
Impressive numbers indeed… AC3 on top = WIN

Comparing AC III with AC IV would result into these personal conclusions:

1 AC III takes it in the story and combat departments, but AC IV has the edge in terms of mission design and stealth -more and better assassinations for instance-, side quests, overall environment and thus, replay value!
2 AC III was more story driven because of the gray moral between Assassins and templars, its characters are stronger and play a bigger role. Connor was a pretty risky bet, he is native american, something rarely done before, a shy character, not as "charismatic" as its predecessor and certaintly not as "appealing" to the masses. AC IV feels like a easy and a light hearted story about a man and his hnger for riches, however Edward is different for Ezio, in case you were wondering of him being a clone.

I am happy for AC IV developers, because they did a VERY good job, exceding my personal expectations. I would say everything promised during trailers, interviews and press articles was there in the game * I know the game is far from being innovative, but certaintly is pretty fun to play!

* I am looking at you, background music, random events, frozen lakes, etc etc etc.....

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-11-2014, 01:19 AM
It has Connor in it..

okay that was too mean, he's not in it

Big Lolz to you… although I heard he's mentioned

Assassin_M
02-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Big Lolz to you… although I heard he's mentioned
Yeah, the Aveline DLC mission involves Connor, although he does not appear...

AdamPearce
02-11-2014, 01:24 AM
I would say everything promised during trailers, interviews and press articles was there in the game *.

Defy Order ?
'For a brief and shining moment of history, mens truly lived free' ?
Mutineries ?
Randoms events ?
Full customisation of the Jackdaw ?
Much more Assassination than before ?

They're is a lot of things they prosmised that are not in the final game.

SixKeys
02-11-2014, 01:24 AM
10 million vs. AC3's 12 million is pretty impressive if you consider that AC3 was the end of the Desmond trilogy. A lot of people bought the game just to see how his story was going to end.

Fatal-Feit
02-11-2014, 01:32 AM
10 million vs. AC3's 12 million is pretty impressive if you consider that AC3 was the end of the Desmond trilogy. A lot of people bought the game just to see how his story was going to end.

By a lot, you must mean those half a million people because I for one didn't buy AC:3 for Desmond. And a majority of everyone else who purchased the game had no idea it was his conclusion either. :nonchalance:

Oh right, this is Sixkeys I'm talking to. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
02-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Defy Order ?

The pirates defied the British order, yes.

'For a brief and shining moment of history, mens truly lived free'

They did. That was the whole point of the rise and fall of Nassau in the game.

Mutineries ?

I don't recall this ever being promised, but I could be wrong.

Randoms events ?

Depends on your definition of random events, but freeing pirates to hire crew members technically counts as random events.

You can upgrade the Jackdaw's weapons, hull armor, sails, figurehead and the wheel. The only non-customizable thing is the hull color. That's as close to full customization as you can get.

Delivered. If you count both the main assassinations(8 or 9, I think), Templar hunts (5), naval contracts (15) and assassination contracts (30) together, I believe AC4 may have the most assassinations yet.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Yeah, the Aveline DLC mission involves Connor, although he does not appear...

Even if he wasn't mentioned, I still want to continue playing the AC games that are part of the storyline. AC is one of my favorite franchises and I just hope they give the fans what they want in the end ^_^

Megas_Doux
02-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Defy Order ?
'For a brief and shining moment of history, mens truly lived free' ?
Mutineries ?
Randoms events ?

They're is a lot of things they prosmised that are not in the final game.

Well.....

1 In the game it was explained how their republic failed miserably due to their "excess" of freedom.
2 There was mutiny, which was the reason of why Edward ended up being abandoned in a island, twice.....
3 The random events occur at sea, although I agree those are, other than freeing pirates, absent in the cities.
4 You can customize the jackdaw.
5 AC IV has MUCH MORE free open assassinations targets that AC III.

SixKeys
02-11-2014, 01:38 AM
By a lot, you must mean those half a million people because I for one didn't buy AC:3 for Desmond. And a majority of everyone else who purchased the game had no idea it was his conclusion either. :nonchalance:

Oh right, this is Sixkeys I'm talking to. :rolleyes:

WTF? I wasn't dissing AC3 if that's what you're implying. AC3 was the end of Desmond's journey. It simply makes sense that a lot of people wanted to see how it ends. Doesn't mean a lot of people didn't also buy the game for other reasons, like simply liking it.

Oh right, this is Fatal-Feit I'm talking to. Who thinks I can't ever say anything neutral or positive about AC3.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Comparing AC III with AC IV would result into these personal conclusions:

1 AC III takes it in the story and combat departments, but AC IV has the edge in terms of mission design and stealth -more and better assassinations for instance-, side quests, overall environment and thus, replay value!
2 AC III was more story driven because of the gray moral between Assassins and templars, its characters are stronger and play a bigger role. Connor was a pretty risky bet, he is native american, something rarely done before, a shy character, not as "charismatic" as its predecessor and certaintly not as "appealing" to the masses. AC IV feels like a easy and a light hearted story about a man and his hnger for riches, however Edward is different for Ezio, in case you were wondering of him being a clone.

I am happy for AC IV developers, because they did a VERY good job, exceding my personal expectations. I would say everything promised during trailers, interviews and press articles was there in the game * I know the game is far from being innovative, but certaintly is pretty fun to play!

* I am looking at you, background music, random events, frozen lakes, etc etc etc.....

Yeah, making comparisons of a game to a previous one doesn't always come in handy. I have always had an open mind about it so I won't know until I play it ;)

frodrigues55
02-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Oh yeah, there's a bunch of reasons why I thought Black Flag wasn't going to come even close to AC3's sales.

AC3 was the first numbered sequence in years, it had the new protagonist and the new era after 3 years of Ezio. The marketing/promotion was too absurd, the anticipation was way higher and pretty much everyone was excited with the new engine, new parkour and aditions to weather. The release itself was too grand for its own good.

AC4, on the other hand, was following AC3's less-than-warm reception. So yeah, 12 million bought 3 and a bunch complained. That's why I was curious to see how many carried over.

Assassin_M
02-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Who thinks I can't ever say anything neutral or positive about AC3.
Well, in his defense, you do have a bad track record of saying neutral or positive things about AC3

frodrigues55
02-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Yeah, making comparisons of a game to a previous one doesn't always come in handy. I have always had an open mind about it so I won't know until I play it ;)

It's very different, so you do have to be open minded :o I take it that you love AC3? If you do, you are probably going to be a bit annoyed with the things 3 did better, especially combat and the Assassin's plot, which basically is not in AC4 for the most of the time. And I personally felt more for Connor than for Edward.

The city design for Havanna is very Ezio, so I think you would enjoy it. The game itself looks great compared to 3 and its core gameplay is certainly improved even with the addition of naval. I really like AC's habilities to tell different stories so AC4 was a good addition to the series IMO. Not my favorite plot, but parts of the game itself are the best of the series IMO.

SixKeys
02-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Oh yeah, there's a bunch of reasons why I thought Black Flag wasn't going to come even close of AC3.

AC3 was the first numbered sequence in years, it had the new protagonist and the new era after 3 years of Ezio. The marketing/promotion was too absurd, the anticipation was way higher and pretty much everyone was excited with the new engine, new parkour and aditions to weather. The release itself was too grand for its own good.

AC4, on the other hand, was following AC3's less-than-warm reception. So yeah, 12 million bought 3 and a bunch complained. That's why I was curious to see how many carried over.

Exactly. If anything, I expected AC4 to be like Brotherhood or Revelations: a quick cash-in with hardly anything new or innovative. Having it be a numbered title carrying a subtitle didn't help. " 'Black Flag'? Ugh, so they just gave it a number to make it seem bigger and more important than it really is." And to be fair, it did copy and paste a lot of AC3's mechanics and didn't introduce many new things. In that sense, it WAS kind of like Brotherhood: the sequel that simply improves upon existing systems instead of innovating. But it worked to the game's advantage considering how many were disappointed by the lack of polish in AC3.

ze_topazio
02-11-2014, 01:51 AM
AC3 was the much awaited real sequel to AC2, the end of Desmond story, the American Revolution attracted many people, especially in the USA for obvious reasons, the game also came out in a time when the series had already a well established fanbase, one of the most hyped games this generation, no major surprise it sold so well, AC4 sales are the ones that can be considered surprising considering it came out after the disappointing AC3 in a time when people are starting to get tired of the series because of the annualization thing and lack of noticeable improvements.

Shahkulu101
02-11-2014, 01:51 AM
AC3 sold the most primarily because of the shameless false advertising, 'Murcia **** yeah trailers and the fact it was a numbered title.

frodrigues55
02-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Exactly. If anything, I expected AC4 to be like Brotherhood or Revelations: a quick cash-in with hardly anything new or innovative. Having it be a numbered title carrying a subtitle didn't help. " 'Black Flag'? Ugh, so they just gave it a number to make it seem bigger and more important than it really is." And to be fair, it did copy and paste a lot of AC3's mechanics and didn't introduce many new things. In that sense, it WAS kind of like Brotherhood: the sequel that simply improves upon existing systems instead of innovating. But it worked to the game's advantage considering how many were disappointed by the lack of polish in AC3.

Yeah, it was weird to have a number because sometimes it's just a copy-past of 3 (and even Liberation, I just finished playing HD and was surprised at how much AC4 took from there). On the other hand, it's different enough to be more than 3's add on.

Although I'm sure the numbered title had also something to do with being the first AC for the next gen consoles. I'm sure the marketing team had more of an influence on this than any other team.

Fatal-Feit
02-11-2014, 02:01 AM
WTF? I wasn't dissing AC3 if that's what you're implying. AC3 was the end of Desmond's journey. It simply makes sense that a lot of people wanted to see how it ends. Doesn't mean a lot of people didn't also buy the game for other reasons, like simply liking it.

By using those sales, you're literally implying that the huge majority of AC:3's sales (4-5+ million) are because of that reason. If you meant nothing by it, well half a million is a generous number to use and not an ''impressive'' amount. Most people would just watch a video online for Desmond's conclusion.

Oh right, this is Fatal-Feit I'm talking to. Who thinks I can't ever say anything neutral or positive about AC3.

Well, in his defense, you do have a bad track record of saying neutral or positive things about AC3
Fair enough.

SixKeys
02-11-2014, 02:01 AM

I'm fair to AC3 in the areas I feel it deserves. The combat is better than AC4 - I simply don't often engage in discussions about the differences between the two because honestly combat is one of the least interesting areas in AC to me. AC3 was also more innovative, took more risks, introduced a minority character as its lead, the animations were better and naval was fun. Some of the tombs had really interesting locations, like a ship sunk in ice and a creepy old mansion. Oh yeah, I enjoyed some of the modern day missions too.

Those things I'm happy to admit. Unfortunately those aren't things this forum generally likes to discuss. We like to talk about mission design, character development, locations, AI and story, all areas in which AC3 failed miserably, IMO. If I come across as overly negative, it may be because you see me making the same complaints over and over again about the same old topics.

Start a discussion about how underused minority characters are in video games in general and how Connor fits into this and I'll praise Ubi's decision to introduce him as a protagonist all day long, even if I don't personally enjoy his character. Start a discussion about the moral greyness of AC3's characters vs. AC4's and I'll happily admit AC3 had a better cast. Start a discussion about what kind of kick in the arse the series as a whole needs and how AC4 played it safe in many ways and I'll admit AC3 was the more progressive of the two.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-11-2014, 02:07 AM
I'm fair to AC3 in the areas I feel it deserves. The combat is better than AC4 - I simply don't often engage in discussions about the differences between the two because honestly combat is one of the least interesting areas in AC to me. AC3 was also more innovative, took more risks, introduced a minority character as its lead, the animations were better and naval was fun. Some of the tombs had really interesting locations, like a ship sunk in ice and a creepy old mansion. Oh yeah, I enjoyed some of the modern day missions too.

Those things I'm happy to admit. Unfortunately those aren't things this forum generally likes to discuss. We like to talk about mission design, character development, locations, AI and story, all areas in which AC3 failed miserably, IMO. If I come across as overly negative, it may be because you see me making the same complaints over and over again about the same old topics.

Start a discussion about how underused minority characters are in video games in general and how Connor fits into this and I'll praise Ubi's decision to introduce him as a protagonist all day long, even if I don't personally enjoy his character. Start a discussion about the moral greyness of AC3's characters vs. AC4's and I'll happily admit AC3 had a better cast. Start a discussion about what kind of kick in the arse the series as a whole needs and how AC4 played it safe in many ways and I'll admit AC3 was the more progressive of the two.

Well said, SixKeys, well said ;)

And I did hear that the AC4 combat is not as great as in AC3 (not as much counter kills and such, which I thought were awesome) so it may be a real downer for those that thoroughly enjoyed the AC3 combat.

Assassin_M
02-11-2014, 02:13 AM

Well, fair enough then...I shall try to start these discussions with you one day, not for proof or anything, but because i'd like to read a different perspective from SixKeys about AC III....that would be nice to read, in all honesty

Aphex_Tim
02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
In that sense, it WAS kind of like Brotherhood: the sequel that simply improves upon existing systems instead of innovating.

Isn't that exactly what happened with AC2 after AC1? The first four games used pretty much the same mechanics with some improvements here and there. It wasn't until AC3 that a completely new engine was introduced and the core received quite an overhaul.

Farlander1991
02-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Isn't that exactly what happened with AC2 after AC1? The first four games used pretty much the same mechanics with some improvements here and there. It wasn't until AC3 that a completely new engine was introduced and the core received quite an overhaul.

Innovation does not have to be equal to 'new engine' or 'absolutely new mechanics'. Sure, AC2 was based on the same core as AC1. Except it was more than just small improvements, it were things that changed up the game quite a bit.

If we talk just about the core mechanics...
Social stealth was applied to ALL NPCs rather than just a certain group (so the principles behind blending in with the crowd are different).
New weapon types that are not just a reskin of existing ones, but handle in a different way.
New assassination techniques (ledge/hiding spot) and easier ways to perform some other techniques like the air assassination (the ability to do those things really changes the way you handle your assassinations)
Not to mention quite a few other things.

AC:B, AC:R and AC4 have far lesser innovation that changes how things are played than AC2 in comparison to AC1 or AC3 in comparison to the previous games.

Also, games, as a medium, are very iterative, so lack of innovation does not mean that it's a bad thing. In fact, I applaud AC4 for being a conglomeration of all the best AC had to offer in Desmond's Saga and trying to flesh those things out a bit, it worked really well for the game, but at this point I don't really want another attempt at gathering all the best we had.

Mr_Shade
02-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Just a gentle reminder to all, lets not start personal attacks over the many different games - we are all AC fans [least I hope we are!] ;)

pacmanate
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
AC3 SOLD 12 million copies.

AC4 SHIPPED 10 million copies.

Black Flag has not sold 10 million copies at all.

GreyBeardJim
02-11-2014, 02:56 PM
AC3 SOLD 12 million copies.

AC4 SHIPPED 10 million copies.

Black Flag has not sold 10 million copies at all.

Well, that depends on what "sell-in units" means.

Gibbo2g_83
02-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I agree with the people who said that the combat is better in AC3 than in Black Flag, it's a lot better as is Liberation HD.I would say AC3 has 3 things that would've made Black Flag better and they are 1)The Combat/weapon choice. 2)The Weapon Selector. 3)Notoriety. I missed that so much in Black Flag. Apart from those though Black Flag is better in every other way. I honestly think AC3 put a lot of people off buying Black Flag. I've played and completed all of the games but 3 nearly lost me, Connors awesome combat was literally the only thing that got me through AC3 it just seemed so dull for the most part. I did really enjoy going Red Coat hunting in the frontier though and for just messing around I enjoyed it a lot I just didn't find the story (apart from the twist near the start) or the missions very interesting apart from a few.

ACLexter
02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
No wonder why AC3 sold the highest numbers.
There are lots of improvement from ACR to AC3. thats why fans and gamers tends to buy the game. same for AC4.
What I'm interested to see from AC5 is the new features and improvement.

ACLexter
02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I agree with the people who said that the combat is better in AC3 than in Black Flag, it's a lot better as is Liberation HD.I would say AC3 has 3 things that would've made Black Flag better and they are 1)The Combat/weapon choice. 2)The Weapon Selector. 3)Notoriety. I missed that so much in Black Flag. Apart from those though Black Flag is better in every other way. I honestly think AC3 put a lot of people off buying Black Flag. I've played and completed all of the games but 3 nearly lost me, Connors awesome combat was literally the only thing that got me through AC3 it just seemed so dull for the most part. I did really enjoy going Red Coat hunting in the frontier though and for just messing around I enjoyed it a lot I just didn't find the story (apart from the twist near the start) or the missions very interesting apart from a few.

I have to agree, AC3 combat is way better in AC4. Connor has more weapon, (I enjoy killing enemies using BOW). easy to counter and more often to dual kill enemies.
the only thing like in AC4 is the continuous 4 pistol shot streak. (I actually want to see a more quick pistol shots, like what we see in the trailer, he can shot 2 pistol at the same time.

pacmanate
02-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Well, that depends on what "sell-in units" means.

All I know is what I put. AC3 actually sold 12 million copies. AC4 has shipped 10 million copies. Its undersold AC3 already in the same timeframe by even shipped 2 million less.

GreyBeardJim
02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
All I know is what I put. AC3 actually sold 12 million copies. AC4 has shipped 10 million copies. Its undersold AC3 already in the same timeframe by even shipped 2 million less.

Not sure where you're getting your info from. The IGN article says both the 12 million for AC3 and the 10 million for AC4 are "sold to retailers" figures, not "sold to consumers", and they're both for "last quarter of the year" periods, not total sales. And neither of those would include digital-only sales.

pacmanate
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Not sure where you're getting your info from. The IGN article says both the 12 million for AC3 and the 10 million for AC4 are "sold to retailers" figures, not "sold to consumers", and they're both for "last quarter of the year" periods, not total sales. And neither of those would include digital-only sales.

My mistake

frodrigues55
02-12-2014, 12:18 AM
lol.

But yeah, I think the official numbers for all AC's are only based on shipments and only through the same quarters. So that's the only way to compare, really.

Does it even matter to Ubisoft if the buyers are the retailers? Can they return the games to Ubi if they don't sell? I don't think so, but I have no ideia how this works.