PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Combat Guide for N00bs

JorgeChihuahua
02-10-2014, 05:36 AM
The world of Assassin's Creed Black Flag is a huge one, and it has many enemies. Many annoying enemies.
Here's how to beat them all!

WEAPONS: Honestly, the only weapons you really need to upgrade are your pistols, because all the sword stats don't mean anything if you are just using the counter system, which is very much mandatory. Early in the game, explore Havana and get lots of reales to buy the cannon barrel pistols early on.

So, there are pretty much 4 main enemies that you fight on land. They might look different depending on the location, but just train yourself to tell them apart with this guide.
(Pretty easy to do)

ENEMY CLASSES

There are the dudes with hats that are most common around the world, to beat them it's super easy just keep tapping attack and counter to kill them quicker. They are good to attack first in a group because if you kill one, you can start a killstreak and kill the surrounding enemies fairly quickly. Take advantage of this.

Then there are the wigheads who are slightly harder to kill, but still not too hard. Just break their defense then start attacking. Countering then attacking also works quickly. These are common I found on rooftops. Just remember to start off by breaking their defense or countering and you'll be fine.

Now the annoying enemies start to appear. There are these large axe dudes who are pretty dangerous if you don't know how to attack them, but they are really just a nuisance.
They will either block your attacks or counter then if you don't break their defense first. Just do that then slash and they will die. Countering is a pain, as it's more like dodging. When you counter, you roll away from their axe, then what you shiuld do is just attack then as if nothing had happened, break defense then go to town. When I'm in a killstreak and I attack them, it has varied results, sometimes it'll kill them, sometimes they will hit me. Just play it safe, have a plan and you can fight groups of them without getting touched.

Finally, there are the captains. These guys have larger voats and a flatter hat then normal soldiers. They require faster reflexes, but don't worry, you don't need to be Bruce Lee to beat them. First of all, NEVER ATTACK THEM RIGHT AWAY. You can shoot them, but don't try to attack them or break their defenses because you will get hurt. Instead, wait for him to attack, counter, which goes into an animation where you parry his blade, then kick him in the tenders, then attack him till he dies. They can be managed, just don't take your eyes of the screen, be ready for counters. Don't try killstreaks, it is unreliable.

SITUATIONS
There are many sticky situations that even the best of fighters will find themselves in.
Here's how to handle then without dying.

If you can't see yourself:
This happens to me sometimes in large groups of enemies on ships, when there's several bad guys and you've no idea where you are on the screen.
Remember you can't see yourself, but you can see the counter warnings, pay attention to then and you can use them to kill enough enemies to thin out the group
Try to have a easily indentifiable outfit, that way you can see yourself quicker.

Gunners from all roofs are attacking and no human shields:
Remember to go into stalking zones because they will lose sight of you and perhaps climb down to look for you and you can fight them with swords.
Then once you've replenished your health, climb up to the nearest on and kill him. Then move on. Don't goy into haystacks as the game will force you out. The stalking zones only work if all the gunners are on the roofs. If not, just fight the ones down on the ground, using human shields then use the method.

Almost gonna die:
DON'T PANIC! In AC3 when this happened all you had to do was climb up to a viewpoint or a high building and they would always shoot at you and miss, but in this game they are far better shots. Just keep pressing shoot and try to kill as many as you can, then just counter and act as if you had full health. But be more careful.

I hope you have enjoyed and learned something from this guide, I don't imagine this to get alot of views or replies, but this is just for the desperate N00b who I once was.

phoenix-force411
02-10-2014, 06:48 AM
I was never bored with combat until I met ACIV: Black Flag. Black Flags has the most unsatisfying combat that lacks variety, taste, and challenge. The only challenge you'll get is how unresponsive combat is, and fighting in large crowds.

Double swords essentially lacks in style and epic animations. Some animations are recycled Tomahawk animations that look ridiculous, while others are too long and it becomes more hindering than it is cool(most of the time, they lack taste).

To classify your enemy archetypes you are discussing:

Soldier: The weakest of all archetypes.

Agile: The fastest archetype. Will tackle Edward if he attempts to run.

Gunner: Will aim at Edward and shoot once the gauge comes to a full.

Brute: Carries a heavy axe and will attempt to heavy swing at Edward at most times. Occasionally will throw a bomb during combat.

Captains: Strongest archetype and is immune to all attacks including streaks.

I prefer to stay out of combat due to how boring and dull it gets.

Gibbo2g_83
02-10-2014, 12:02 PM
I was never bored with combat until I met ACIV: Black Flag. Black Flags has the most unsatisfying combat that lacks variety, taste, and challenge. The only challenge you'll get is how unresponsive combat is, and fighting in large crowds.

Double swords essentially lacks in style and epic animations. Some animations are recycled Tomahawk animations that look ridiculous, while others are too long and it becomes more hindering than it is cool(most of the time, they lack taste).

To classify your enemy archetypes you are discussing:

Soldier: The weakest of all archetypes.

Agile: The fastest archetype. Will tackle Edward if he attempts to run.

Gunner: Will aim at Edward and shoot once the gauge comes to a full.

Brute: Carries a heavy axe and will attempt to heavy swing at Edward at most times. Occasionally will throw a bomb during combat.

Captains: Strongest archetype and is immune to all attacks including streaks.

I prefer to stay out of combat due to how boring and dull it gets.

Have you played Liberation HD? Aveline is awesome for combat she has Haythem's single sword animations, Connors tomahawk, axe and club animations and she bare nuckle fights the same as Edward. Aveline seems to have loads of animations although none of them are new its a new mix so if you usually like the combat in the games I recommend Liberation HD the only slight problems with it are the blowpipe takes ages to lock on and the whip animations are the same as the rope dart so some of the double kill animations don't really work with the whip they still kill it just doesn't really make sense. I finished it ages ago but I keep playing it just for the fighting. There's an Aztec club thing and the animations for that are brutal its like you can feel their skulls crack :)