PDA

View Full Version : Massive spam. Captcha useless

guidomista
02-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi,
I entered the forum today and I saw like 16 new spam-threads.
Basically, all the first forum page.
Some people complain that now we have to fill in the captcha field for any post we submit.
I though it was for avoiding smap. If it is for that, clearly it's not working.
They might as well take it off...

bye

frodrigues55
02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the spams are still here :( As a bright side, they can finally take out those annoying capcthas.

Space_Odyssey
02-09-2014, 03:58 PM
The problem does not lie within the captcha which is a feature to stop spamming.
The problem lies within the registration value of the forum. That's why bots can register and spam.

YazX_
02-09-2014, 04:09 PM
captcha stops bots but never stops the spam, those guys are not bots and they dont mind doing the captcha when spamming, its just too much annoying for real members, in order to stop spamming threads, they need to do the following:

1. email verification when you signup and cannot post any comment before the verification
2. Mods publishing approval on first thread/comment created by new members.
3. Limit number of daily comments/threads for junior/new members, once you reach certain level and get trusted, the limit should be gone. as an example, one thread/comment per day, once you reach 10 posts then you are allowed to post 5 comments and so on. i have seen this implemented in many forums and its good way to counter spam threads.
4. more mods needed on the forum to take out any of these spamming threads as Shade and Widow are not enough to keep checking each board on the forum every hour or so. also to check other threads as there are too many threads and simply too much work for them to monitor all of them.

Space_Odyssey
02-09-2014, 04:20 PM
captcha stops bots but never stops the spam, those guys are not bots and they dont mind doing the captcha when spamming, its just too much annoying for real members, in order to stop spamming threads, they need to do the following:

1. email verification when you signup and cannot post any comment before the verification
3. Limit number of daily comments/threads for junior/new members, once you reach certain level and get trusted, the limit should be gone. as an example, one thread/comment per day, once you reach 10 posts then you are allowed to post 5 comments and so on. i have seen this implemented in many forums and its good way to counter spam threads.
4. more mods needed on the forum to take out any of these spamming threads as Shade and Widow are not enough to keep checking each board on the forum every hour or so. also to check other threads as there are too many threads and simply too much work for them to monitor all of them.

That's why I said that the problem lies within the registration value of the forum, being those bots who spam or real people. Other than that, yes to all, except No. 3. You can't just limit posting even for new members. With that way you just put a huge wall to communication, being valuable or not (some people for example would require help if they are especially new to Ubisoft, and this would require free communication). But as said I agree except with No. 3.

guidomista
02-09-2014, 04:28 PM

I think just with email and first message (or better, open new thread?) verification (points 1 and 2) it should work enough.
This way you have to wait a little bit when you just start, but when you are in, it's clear you are not a bot or a spammer

bye

Black_Widow9
02-10-2014, 04:29 AM
Suggestions are always welcome and we are still working out a permanent solution. We can definitely tell no one likes the Capcha's.

The thing about the spammers that are not bots are that they are getting paid for it. So they'll stick around for a couple of posts because that's what they get paid for. :(