PDA

View Full Version : Havana in ac4(tiny spoilers)

UKassassinsfan
02-09-2014, 01:54 AM
After playing and reasonably enjoying assassins creed 4 I was disappointed at the lack of time spent in Havana! When I was there I really enjoyed it and got a real nostalgic buzz about whilst feeling it was new and exotic, the verticality was something I've missed in the games! There might be some dlc in the future but I'd really like some more time there, the small islands for repetitive and Havana was definitely my favourite city since Venice in ac2

IWGCJoeCool
02-09-2014, 02:25 AM
After playing and reasonably enjoying assassins creed 4 I was disappointed at the lack of time spent in Havana! When I was there I really enjoyed it and got a real nostalgic buzz about whilst feeling it was new and exotic, the verticality was something I've missed in the games! There might be some dlc in the future but I'd really like some more time there, the small islands for repetitive and Havana was definitely my favourite city since Venice in ac2

yes. a little more Havana woulda been great. when i'm mucking about with Com challenges or wahtever, just wandering around, i realize how much of the place i really didnt see during the first playthrough earlier on.

travilanche
02-09-2014, 10:34 AM
I definitely have to agree. Havannah made me nostalgic for ACII. It was such a great city and almost no time was spent there! Kingston is ok, as is Nassau, but Havannah really made me miss the Ezio days. I loved the ACIV setting, but I really do miss the cities of the Ezio era.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
02-09-2014, 01:44 PM
I already know that this is going to be one of my BIGGEST complaints with AC4 when I finally get next gen and play it.

They gave us a good city again, similar to the ones from the Ezio trilogy -- especially great after the BORING cities of AC3... and then they apparently did nothing with it. Naval stuff doesn't interest me. I mean, I'll have fun with it now that it's a true part of the game and not some disjointed side thing. I like that they took the land-based open world stuff and applied it to naval as well. I'll have fun with all that, I really will. But when I load up AC4 after beating it, I'll be in Havana, running over roofs and fighting guards. That's AC to me.

frodrigues55
02-09-2014, 03:35 PM
It is surprisingly underused.

It's like they built a great place to please us, but couldn't write it into the story. I usually clear a city before moving on with the plot, so I was surprised I only played it on the begining and then the story never brought me back there. Such a shame. :(

It's certainly one of my favorite cities out of the series, so I was a bit bummed there was no use for it.

UKassassinsfan
02-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Definitely agree with the comments, like you said I'm a conpletitonistist as soon as I get to the city, I just wanted to clear it, and I kept hoping we would get a sustained time spent there. But alas you return once or twice and it really isn't too long! The gameplay in Havana is probably my favourite in assassins creed 4! It felt so fun to play and I really hope that any future installment has another city similar but where we can really spend some good time in like the cities from ac2

Hans684
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
I have spent a lot of time in Havana, never collect every to begin with nor do I do every mission.

frodrigues55
02-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I have spent a lot of time in Havana, never collect every to begin with nor do I do every mission.

Well, regardless of how you clean the city out, the time spent there is basically the same for everyone.

What we are trying to say is that the game itself makes very little use of it, even though it is its most beautiful, complex and bigger city. The story keeps sending you back to Nassau and Kingston over and over again, but you are never really back to Havanna until the very end for a very tidy mission.

And you can't really compare having a few assassination contracts or shanties to having the main plot making use of the town, its architeture and its landmarks with the bigger main missions.

Assassin_M
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Ugh, i'm so glad we got to spend such a small amount of time there...it was a fugly city, the fugliest since Venice. Kingston over Havana any day

Shahkulu101
02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Ugh, i'm so glad we got to spend such a small amount of time there...it was a fugly city, the fugliest since Venice. Kingston over Havana any day

Newer members here would be forgiven for thinking all 20,000 of your posts were trolling attempts, and that you are the most desperately persistent troll on the internet.

Fatal-Feit
02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Well, regardless of how you clean the city out, the time spent there is basically the same for everyone.

What we are trying to say is that the game itself makes very little use of it, even though it is its most beautiful, complex and bigger city. The story keeps sending you back to Nassau and Kingston over and over again, but you are never really back to Havanna until the very end for a very tidy mission.

And you can't really compare having a few assassination contracts or shanties to having the main plot making use of the town, its architeture and its landmarks with the bigger main missions.

To be fair, the game didn't make too much use of Nassau or Kingston either. The missions there were mostly drab and linear compared to Havana. Havana, IMO, was still the most appreciated city by the developers. I suppose it was left in the shadow towards the midpoint, but I think it's unfair to be saying Havana didn't get the justice it deserved, because you might as well say the entire world map didn't either. It was used for about 3 sequences, introduced a bunch of new interesting characters, weapons, and had some really entertaining side missions, including giving the players a beautiful first impression.

If you ask me, it was somewhat over done.

lothario-da-be
02-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Newer members here would be forgiven for thinking all 20,000 of your posts were trolling attempts, and that you are the most desperately persistent troll on the internet.
Aren't half of his post trolls?

Assassin_M
02-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Aren't half of his post trolls?
What?? No....you're forgiven because you're a youngin...you havent seen me in my prime

frodrigues55
02-09-2014, 09:55 PM
To be fair, the game didn't make too much use of Nassau or Kingston either. The missions there were mostly drab and linear compared to Havana. Havana, IMO, was still the most outstanding city in the game by the end. I suppose it was left in the shadow towards the midpoint, but I think it's unfair to be saying Havana didn't get the justice it deserved, because you might as well say the entire world map didn't either. It was used for about 3 sequences, introduced a bunch of new interesting characters, weapons, and had some really entertaining side missions, including giving the players a beautiful first impression.

If you ask me, it was somewhat over done.

Well, that's an interesting way to look at it.

I guess what makes Havanna look so underused is because you go to it at the begining of the game and then never comes back. It's different when you go back to Nassau and Kingston all the time, especially since they have way less going on for them. You ping-pong through them the whole game with big beautiful Havanna just laying there.

No wonder one of Darby's most anticipated sequences got cut because developers thought it was way too much Nassau already.

UKassassinsfan
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Gotta disagree with the comment about Havana being overdone. It was so under done it was annoying, I kept hoping my mission would take me to Havana so I could use those rooftops, the sound as you ran on them was so good! The missions in Nassau and Kingston were far more overdone and you spent a lot more time there!

NatureboyMT
02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
I agree with the OP discussing the beauty of Havana. Havana was really well done.

Someone mentioned that the cities in AC3 were boring in comparison to the previous titles. In comparison to the free running and climbing aspects of late 18th century NY and Boston that's entirely true.

However, the thing that the designers have always done is try to be historically accurate in their design of the cities. Boston and New York during the revolutionary time period looked very much like the versions designed into the game. So naturally, those cities would be less interesting from the climbing aspect.

Ubisoft would have to set the next game back to one of the older cities in Europe to have the higher structures to climb.

UKassassinsfan
02-10-2014, 01:47 AM
I would quite like to see another game which is more solely dedicated to verticality. I enjoyed the naval stuff but I definitely miss all the various tall buildings and missions where it felt so fluid to jump from rooftop to rooftop.

Assassin_M
02-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Ubisoft would have to set the next game back to one of the older cities in Europe to have the higher structures to climb.
Ugh one more game in boring Europe....we've already had 2 and a half in Europe...repetitiveness = no no

I want the Sahara Desert next...such sand dunes...

NatureboyMT
02-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Ugh one more game in boring Europe....we've already had 2 and a half in Europe...repetitiveness = no no

I want the Sahara Desert next...such sand dunes...

I hear you, I'm not saying that I want the series to go back to Europe necessarily. I just think if you want consistently tall structures and it has to remain historically accurate, then you don't have a whole lot of choices.

I will say that I think there are still potentially cool options of settings in Europe that have not been touched.

However, I'd personally like something different if I had a vote.

Assassin_M
02-10-2014, 02:31 AM
I hear you, I'm not saying that I want the series to go back to Europe necessarily. I just think if you want consistently tall structures and it has to remain historically accurate, then you don't have a whole lot of choices.

I will say that I think there are still potentially cool options of settings in Europe that have not been touched.

However, I'd personally like something different if I had a vote.
I'd personally take another Middle eastern game....15th century Egypt preferably. What do you think of an Eastern setting? Japan, China..etc? or if none of those, which setting would you prefer?

NatureboyMT
02-10-2014, 02:57 AM
I'd personally take another Middle eastern game....15th century Egypt preferably. What do you think of an Eastern setting? Japan, China..etc? or if none of those, which setting would you prefer?
Geez, there are so many good historical options honestly.
When Ubisoft came up with the AC series idea they really gave themselves a lot of great options.

I would love to see a new Middle Eastern option. Especially with the advances in graphics from AC1. I really liked the cities from AC1. But with the cinematography from AC3 and AC4, it would be pretty amazing to see what Ubisoft could do. I would need to research more about Egyptian history but I think there is ample chances there as well. Egypt is a fascinating place. I would love to see that.

Asia seems like it's been one of those eras that has been talked up quite a bit. And AC Embers gave a brief glance into the Assassin's in China. They could follow that up or Feudal Japan would be awesome. I have always kinda hoped they would get there.

Full disclosure I have a degree focusing more in American History and specifically the American Civil War, so that time frame would be an instantaneous wet dream for me. If that game came out my wife would be pissed. The American history aspect of AC3 made that special for me, even though many people didn't seem to like it.

Apart from the northern African/Egypt setting and the Eastern options of Japan/China, both of which would be awesome to see Ubisoft take on...
the time frames that I haven't heard kicked around that I think could be cool:

-Victorian London/think Jack the Ripper time frame
-US major city (New York/Chicago) during prohibition 1920's
-India (imagine climbing the Taj Mahal)

NatureboyMT
02-10-2014, 02:59 AM
Sorry AssassinM,

I don't know if I answered your actual question in that last post about which setting I would really prefer... personally I'd like them to do Japan or China next, but Egypt would not in any way be a bad option.

Assassin_M
02-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Sorry AssassinM,

I don't know if I answered your actual question in that last post about which setting I would really prefer... personally I'd like them to do Japan or China next, but Egypt would not in any way be a bad option.
Oh no, sir you'v answered my question quite well, I appreciate the time put in the post. You seem to be open about a variety of settings by looking at more than one of the fascinating elements of each setting, not just focusing on one element and being closed to anything else. I really like that mindset...would open a lot more possibilities, although I have to say, I'm not really a fan of late 19th century on wards, I feel like it'd take away a lot from the AC element imo.

UKassassinsfan
02-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Most of these eras have been given the big no no by ubisoft but I would quite like to see what they could pull of at early AD Europe! Would be a completely different flair to what we've seen now.

Assassin_M
02-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Most of these eras have been given the big no no by ubisoft
Any one Ubisoft dev =/= Ubisoft or future plans..

3 years ago, Jean-Francois Boivin said that AC will take a break after Brotherhood...he was fired and Revelations came out the next year
2 years ago, Alex Hutchinson said that another Connor game depends on fan reaction...Darby comes out and says it was always planned to have one Connor game and he's not getting another
5 years ago, Patrice Desilets said AC is a trilogy....we're at 6 now...the seventh will be leaked aaaanny day now.

NatureboyMT
02-10-2014, 03:25 AM
Oh no, sir you'v answered my question quite well, I appreciate the time put in the post. You seem to be open about a variety of settings by looking at more than one of the fascinating elements of each setting, not just focusing on one element and being closed to anything else. I really like that mindset...would open a lot more possibilities, although I have to say, I'm not really a fan of late 19th century on wards, I feel like it'd take away a lot from the AC element imo.

Ok cool,
You're right I'm definitely open to a lot of different time frames. There are just so many options.
The one issue I have the further they potentially might move into the 19th & 20th centuries is that there would necessarily be an increased focus on firearms. Which, I think does take away from the AC element.

Asia or Egypt would be cool to me simply because I'm not as familiar with the history of those regions so it would give me a little kick start into looking into some of those regions.

And UKAssassinsfan,
There are a lot of early AD Europe setttings I think could be interesting, totally agree.

UKassassinsfan
02-10-2014, 03:41 AM
I think early Europe would be quality, whilst Rome has already been done it would be completely different to brotherhood and we could visit lots of huge cities from the time. As well as lots of important North American places like Egypt and medhia.

AC2_alex
02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I am also sad that Havana was underused. But to be honest I had more fun in Kingston.

As for future games, Egypt or China are at the top of my wishlist right now. However I don't think we'll get anything in the far east until the AC devs really get a handle on next gen hardware.

Farlander1991
02-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Funny how our perception works. Havana has factually got the most content in the game out of each of the three major cities (both main and side). Six main missions (Kingston has 5 if you don't count Delirium, and Nassau has got 4), which I must add are all pretty lengthy, the most contracts (6, same as Kingston but Nassau has got only 2), the most amount of collectibles (49, in comparison to Kingston's 43 and Nassau's 45), the same amount of Templar Hunt missions as every other city, the only thing it's got less than other cities is that Kingston has two warehouses (both Havana and Nassau have got one), and Kingston has one more viewpoint than Havana (thanks to the separate Port Royal section, the city itself has one less than Havana).

So at the very least it doesn't have less content than Kingston in total, but because we visit it two times throughout the main campaign (while we visit Kingston 4 times, and Nassau 5 times - we go there at least once every sequence during sequences 3-7, even though with the exception of sequences 3 and 7 we don't actually have any main missions there), to most people it feels underused. I'm not trying to say that anybody's wrong or invalid or anything. Just that human perception is funny.

I think one of the things that kinda adds to the feeling of being underused is the way all side-content with the exception of warehouses (and Templar Hunts, I think) is available from the get go. On my first visit to Havana I did only the main missions and collectibles, then I would come back for the warehouse, then I would come back for the Templar Hunt, and then I would come back for the contracts after they're officially introduced, so counting the last visit there for Torres I went to the city five times while going through the main game (and by the time we get to Kingston, for example, pretty much everything's unlocked/officially introduced, so I'd just do it all from the get go so didn't have any additional 'secondary mission' trips) before completing everything I could do there to complete.

travilanche
02-10-2014, 11:57 AM
I think the big issue here is that people miss the historic city settings. The ACIII cities were not that great, but havannah was a lot like the cities from ACII. But it was barely used. The majority of the story should have taken place there. Or there should have been another city like it, which there wasn't.

Farlander1991
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
The majority of the story should have taken place there.

And the majority of the story should've taken there because...? It's already main and side content-leading location in the game, challenged only by Kingston and that's only because that location has got Port Royal in it (which is essentially like putting Monterrigioni on the same map as San Gimignano, and I'm using San Gimignano only because they're both in Tuscany and are fairly close to eachother, not to compare the size of Kingston and San Gimignano).

UKassassinsfan
02-10-2014, 02:39 PM
I think though that in the other cities you're given missions which really allow you to explore the city, in Havana I got to know the fort and the villa quite well but for the rest of it I just didn't have to go there except for collectibles. The giant church in the middle was hardly used I just hoped for more time in Havana throughout the game. But I definitely wanna see a game now in the franchise which is dedicated to beautiful vertical cities, that would really make the game for me