PDA

View Full Version : Update 4 broke my Freedom Cry

jeffies04
02-08-2014, 01:33 AM
I counted myself one of the lucky ones not to have any major issues thus far. But it didn't last...

Since update 4, this 5 gig update we installed the other day, any time there is a cut scene with someone firing a blunderbuss in Freedom Cry, it freezes up. You can skip the cut scene before it gets to that point... until the next time someone fires a blunderbuss.

I know what sort of turnaround time I will have with support, so I'm starting here first. Anyone tried FC since the update?

Ruxleyford514
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I have the same problem but I don't think it has to do with the blunderbuss. There is one cutscene in Memory 3 that ends with a guy firing a blunderbuss and the game does crash there, but I looked at the scene on Youtube and it ends at that point normally, so I think the crash is related to the transition between the end of a cutscene and back to normal gameplay. However, if I chose to skip that cutscene after it has started playing then I can continue to gameplay ok.

My problem now is I am at a cutscene that I cannot skip. It is a short one in Memory 3 where the player leaps onto a boat of escaping pirates. There are no blunderbuss' in this scene.

Mr_Shade
02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi, Have you tried verifying the game data?

On Uplay you can do it via the start page in Uplay - you can drop the 'play' button down and select the option

In steam:

All operating systems - Verify integrity of game cache

Load Steam
From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

If that does not help, please make sure you are in contact with support: www.support.ubi.com

jeffies04
02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
I have the same problem but I don't think it has to do with the blunderbuss. There is one cutscene in Memory 3 that ends with a guy firing a blunderbuss and the game does crash there, but I looked at the scene on Youtube and it ends at that point normally, so I think the crash is related to the transition between the end of a cutscene and back to normal gameplay. However, if I chose to skip that cutscene after it has started playing then I can continue to gameplay ok.

My problem now is I am at a cutscene that I cannot skip. It is a short one in Memory 3 where the player leaps onto a boat of escaping pirates. There are no blunderbuss' in this scene.

I posted in the other thread but I'll copy-paste it here :)

Verifying the game files doesn't do anything to help unless you're missing a file or have a corrupted one. I did use it to redownload the dlc10 files but that didn't help.

But... I figured out why I was crashing.... The problem for me has to do with our new beloved PhysX smoke particles.

I like playing with them set to low. The game rendered them fine outside of a cutscene, but as soon as it tried to render them from the blunderbuss within a cutscene, it crashed the game (there are two cutscenes during the Maroon hideout mission with the overseers). Disabling them temporarily got me past the cutscenes.

Assassins creed for as long as I can remember has rendered cut scenes in real time. For some reason the fancy new PhysX smoke in Freedom Cry does not want to work in the super-zoomed-in-cutscene-mode now that update 4 has been applied. Maybe your issue is somehow related to this? Did you try scaling back all of your graphics settings and seeing maybe which one is triggering it?

EDIT--- I just went back and looked at your post again (sorry I just woke up) and your scenes sound like the same ones I was crashing during. The scene where Ade jumps onto a boat he dodges a blunderbuss shot behind a guy and the dude gets pelleted in the back. I think you might have the same problem as me... do you have physx settings turned on at all??

Ruxleyford514
02-09-2014, 08:37 PM
I posted in the other thread but I'll copy-paste it here :)

Verifying the game files doesn't do anything to help unless you're missing a file or have a corrupted one. I did use it to redownload the dlc10 files but that didn't help.

But... I figured out why I was crashing.... The problem for me has to do with our new beloved PhysX smoke particles.

I like playing with them set to low. The game rendered them fine outside of a cutscene, but as soon as it tried to render them from the blunderbuss within a cutscene, it crashed the game (there are two cutscenes during the Maroon hideout mission with the overseers). Disabling them temporarily got me past the cutscenes.

Assassins creed for as long as I can remember has rendered cut scenes in real time. For some reason the fancy new PhysX smoke in Freedom Cry does not want to work in the super-zoomed-in-cutscene-mode now that update 4 has been applied. Maybe your issue is somehow related to this? Did you try scaling back all of your graphics settings and seeing maybe which one is triggering it?

EDIT--- I just went back and looked at your post again (sorry I just woke up) and your scenes sound like the same ones I was crashing during. The scene where Ade jumps onto a boat he dodges a blunderbuss shot behind a guy and the dude gets pelleted in the back. I think you might have the same problem as me... do you have physx settings turned on at all??

You are absolutely correct! Thanks so much. I turned PhysX off and the cutscene played ok.

I thought those cutscenes were pre-rendered but after paying more attention I see that that are indeed rendered in game super zoomed in. That explains why some cutscenes that are just people talking work fine - those don't have particles flying around.

Once again, thanks. I would have never figured that out on my own and I doubt even Ubisoft knew the answer.

Mr_Shade
02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
You are absolutely correct! Thanks so much. I turned PhysX off and the cutscene played ok.

I thought those cutscenes were pre-rendered but after paying more attention I see that that are indeed rendered in game super zoomed in. That explains why some cutscenes that are just people talking work fine - those don't have particles flying around.

Once again, thanks. I would have never figured that out on my own and I doubt even Ubisoft knew the answer.

Great - can you please update your ticket so support are aware that it's both fixed [saving them time investigating] and the solution you found [so they can pass it on to others]

I will alert the team and let them know, though please do update your tickets - since this will help me notify everyone.

KmarkoPL
02-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Also that explain why I cannot use PhysX in 720p , while full HD 1080p the game works ok , on 720p The game crashes every time when the PhysX is on , and when I use gun cannons or try to board ships .
The problem with PhysX and crashing , I have since the PhysX was implemented to the game .

jeffies04
02-10-2014, 08:18 PM

I'm glad this was your problem too and we have a temporary fix! I don't think it ever happened for me in the main game. I enjoy it on low... I like how the smoke moves with the action... but it's definitely still got its issues. I hope they can figure it out.

Great - can you please update your ticket so support are aware that it's both fixed [saving them time investigating] and the solution you found [so they can pass it on to others]

Sure, Mr.