PDA

View Full Version : Animus - No More Vocalized Translations

BATISTABUS
02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
AC3, ACL, and AC4 all take place in locations where English is widely spoken. When other languages are spoken (Spanish, French, Portuguese, Haitian, Kanien'keha, Taino, etc.), subtitles are given, but the words themselves aren't translated (as they were for Altair and Ezio). There are a number of meta explanations for this; it lets players know that the characters are speaking a language other than English, and it promotes indigenous languages. However, if and when an Assassin's Creed game takes place in an area where English is never spoken, do you think we'll get subs? Would you be okay with reading subtitles for the whole game? Do you think the greater gaming community would accept something like that?

Personally, I would like it if characters spoke entirely in their own languages. I have absolutely no problem reading subtitles, and it really boosts the authenticity of the game in my opinion. It would also get rid of complaints about phony-sounding accents (like some say about Ezio) or improper accents (Altair AC1). Just as the Animus 3.0 stopped applying the face of the Animus user to the historical protagonist, it could also stop the translation of the language (which I think would be a fine justification). Any thoughts? Would you be okay with a non-English speaking historical protagonist?

killzab
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Won't happen

misterB2001
02-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I absolutely hated the parts of AC3 that had massive swathes of dialogue in cut scenes in the native language. It totally spoiled the scenes for me.

I much preferred the Ezio style of English with an Italian accent, with the odd Italian word thrown in. It just suited it better.

BATISTABUS
02-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Won't happen
Why not? It seems to be happening already, doesn't it?

I absolutely hated the parts of AC3 that had massive swathes of dialogue in cut scenes in the native language. It totally spoiled the scenes for me.

Why? Do you also dislike massive swathes of dialogue in English?

STDlyMcStudpants
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
They already are and its bugging the crap out of me...I mean in ac3 it was a minor annoyance but in ac iv the animus can't even translate grade 1 Spanish? Get out of here...either translate everything or nothing..but curse words in ac Ezio its more forgivable because they in themselves are curse words, not meant to be translated

LoyalACFan
02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Just as the Animus 3.0 stopped applying the face of the Animus user to the historical protagonist, it could also stop the translation of the language (which I think would be a fine justification).

Displaying the ancestor's actual face was an upgrade though, whereas removing translation functionality would be a huge downgrade within the lore. It wouldn't really make sense IMO.

Anyway, no, I would never want this to happen. Subtitles are alright for cutscenes (though reading them nonstop for every line of dialogue gets a bit tiresome after a while) but it would be really annoying if I couldn't understand what the characters were saying while I was actively playing, and had to keep an eye on the bottom of the screen during combat/traversal/what have you. Plus, it sets up the potential to miss lines since you can't hear them and have to read them from the bottom.

They don't need to write games entirely in foreign languages, they just need to hire actors who are capable of pulling off the accents. I thought Roger Craig Smith, Noah Watts, and Matt Ryan all did a great job, Altair was the only one whose voice sucked (though it's not really Phillip Shahbaz's fault since they told him flat-out to do an American accent, even though he was capable of doing an Arabic one).

BATISTABUS
02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Displaying the ancestor's actual face was an upgrade though, whereas removing translation functionality would be a huge downgrade within the lore. It wouldn't really make sense IMO.

but it would be really annoying if I couldn't understand what the characters were saying while I was actively playing, and had to keep an eye on the bottom of the screen during combat/traversal/what have you.

They don't need to write games entirely in foreign languages, they just need to hire actors who are capable of pulling off the accents. I thought Roger Craig Smith, Noah Watts, and Matt Ryan all did a great job, Altair was the only one whose voice sucked (though it's not really Phillip Shahbaz's fault since they told him flat-out to do an American accent, even though he was capable of doing an Arabic one).
It's not really an "upgrade" as it has no inherently more beneficial feature. It's a design choice. If anything, I'd think applying the face of the decedent would require more programming.

How often is important dialogue going on while in actual combat? The only problem would be during tails, which weren't a problem for me in AC4.

I thought all of those actors did a great job, but I've heard plenty of complaints about RCS and Cas Anvar (especially from Assassin_M who speaks Arabic).

Fatal-Feit
02-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I prefer them subtle. It's nice to hear the character speak foreign words every now and then to keep the dialogues unique and interesting, but I wouldn't want it to be there all the time. One of the most memorable parts of Ezio's Trilogy was that they all called Rome, Roma. Let's not make these things less special.

LoyalACFan
02-06-2014, 08:47 PM
It's not really an "upgrade" as it has no inherently more beneficial feature. It's a design choice. If anything, I'd think applying the face of the decedent would require more programming.

Didn't they say that the descendent just subconsciously applies their own face onto their ancestor? Some kind of residual self-image thing? I thought the whole purpose of the Animus upgrade was to negate that.

How often is important dialogue going on while in actual combat? The only problem would be during tails, which weren't a problem for me in AC4.

It's not necessarily important to the plot, but it adds to the overall experience. Blackbeard's taunting would have been much less entertaining if it was spoken in Greek and I had to read the subtitles to understand it.

I thought all of those actors did a great job, but I've heard plenty of complaints about RCS and Cas Anvar (especially from Assassin_M who speaks Arabic).

Smith did a kind of romanticized Italian accent. It wasn't authentic (by his own admission) but I think it fit well. After all, AC2 was a highly stylized vision of the Renaissance. As for Anvar... well, he tried at least? I had less issue with his Altair than the Altair from AC1 who sounded like he was from Idaho. Maybe it's just because he was a Syrian who spoke like an American, and as an American myself, I expected him to sound "different" than what I'm used to hearing in my home country. I have heard genuine Arabic accents though (my uncle by marriage is from Lebanon) and I can agree with M that Anvar's Altair sounded weird.

But like I said, outside of Altair they have a pretty decent track record of hiring actors who can do appropriate accents, so I'd rather see them continue that trend than switch over to entirely foreign language dialogue.

misterB2001
02-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Why not? It seems to be happening already, doesn't it?

Why? Do you also dislike massive swathes of dialogue in English?
Well i'm English, so it makes sense for the Animus to interpret it for me. I can't fully appreciate the cut scene if i have to concentrate on the text at the bottom of the screen.

BATISTABUS
02-06-2014, 11:23 PM
I prefer them subtle. It's nice to hear the character speak foreign words every now and then to keep the dialogues unique and interesting, but I wouldn't want it to be there all the time. One of the most memorable parts of Ezio's Trilogy was that they all called Rome, Roma. Let's not make these things less special.
I think it would be MORE special if AC actually went and full on did a game (or at least 90%, not counting the modern portion) in another language.

I can't fully appreciate the cut scene if i have to concentrate on the text at the bottom of the screen.
Why not?

If you can only appreciate things spoken in English, you're really missing out on a lot of fantastic foreign entertainment. Dubs serve their purpose (which I think is a fading one), but subs are always superior.

SixKeys
02-07-2014, 12:13 AM
I prefer to play games without subtitles, it makes for a more immersive experience. AC1-ACR are fine because the inclusion of full foreign language sentences is minimal (like Ezio's speeches to his targets or Alta´r's recitation of the creed in Arabic). Those games are still perfectly easy to follow even without subtitles. Freedom Cry was really annoying in this respect, where the characters were speaking French 50% of the time. You were pretty much forced to have subtitles on if you don't speak French. AC3's Mohawk bits were all right because they did it out of respect for their culture and subtitles were provided automatically even if you had them off for the rest of the game.

I'm fine with having some non-English words or phrases here and there for the sake of immersion, but I wouldn't want a whole game to be in a different language because it would force me to use subtitles all the time. (BTW, before anyone accuses me of being lazy, I'm European. All English-language movies come with subtitles here. I'm used to subtitles. I still prefer not to have them if I can avoid them.) Try playing AC2 in Italian sometime: it's pretty much exactly like that.

ze_topazio
02-07-2014, 01:38 AM
I prefer to play games without subtitles, it makes for a more immersive experience. AC1-ACR are fine because the inclusion of full foreign language sentences is minimal (like Ezio's speeches to his targets or Alta´r's recitation of the creed in Arabic). Those games are still perfectly easy to follow even without subtitles. Freedom Cry was really annoying in this respect, where the characters were speaking French 50% of the time. You were pretty much forced to have subtitles on if you don't speak French. AC3's Mohawk bits were all right because they did it out of respect for their culture and subtitles were provided automatically even if you had them off for the rest of the game.

I'm fine with having some non-English words or phrases here and there for the sake of immersion, but I wouldn't want a whole game to be in a different language because it would force me to use subtitles all the time. (BTW, before anyone accuses me of being lazy, I'm European. All English-language movies come with subtitles here. I'm used to subtitles. I still prefer not to have them if I can avoid them.) Try playing AC2 in Italian sometime: it's pretty much exactly like that.

Are you saying the French, Spanish, etc... cultures are not worth respecting then? http://i.imgur.com/JNTihD2.png

The rest of the world has been enduring subtitles since forever, only you English speaking people refuse to watch anything in foreign languages with subtitles, I'm not saying this based just on the comments on this thread but also on reactions and even articles about it I have seen through the years.

LoyalACFan
02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Are you saying the French, Spanish, etc... cultures are not worth respecting then? http://i.imgur.com/JNTihD2.png

The rest of the world has been enduring subtitles since forever, only you English speaking people refuse to watch anything in foreign languages with subtitles, I'm not saying this based just on the comments on this thread but also on reactions and even articles about it I have seen through the years.

Really?

The "rest of the world" deals with subtitles in things that were made by English speakers. English speakers deal with subtitles in things that were made by the "rest of the world." Neither situation is ideal, but we get over it when subtitles are necessary for understanding the content. Ubisoft Montreal being a primarily English-speaking studio, it would be asinine for them to make content that even they themselves would probably have to put subtitles on to understand. The Mohawk scenes were done for canonical reasons; the Animus has trouble translating extremely common languages like Spanish and Italian at times, so it would have been stupid if it could magically translate a Native American language that only a handful of people on the planet understand today.

Let's try not to be so hostile in the future? No more vaguely racist gang-banger emojis?

AdamPearce
02-07-2014, 02:00 AM
Once again, AC1 had it done perfectly. Not talking of Altair's voice of course, that one was weird, but ALL the other characters were PERFECTLY recorded, they really did an amazing job. And the best is during combat, omg it was wonderful. Maybe some of you don't or won't recall, but in AC1, the soldiers (usually the high graded) used to throw arabic/ german/ french lines during combats, it was really awesome even thou I did not understand all of them (german and arabic ones). But you feel that they are angry and are giving orders to kill you, and this is something that never EVER came back, which is a shame.

And no, I don't think having a whole game in the 'native language' is a good idea, having a option would be nice thou, AC2 had italian, but it was also in the Desmond sequences so it looked really weird. But the best it still imo English + Accent + Glitches. ;)

ze_topazio
02-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Really?

The "rest of the world" deals with subtitles in things that were made by English speakers. English speakers deal with subtitles in things that were made by the "rest of the world." Neither situation is ideal, but we get over it when subtitles are necessary for understanding the content. Ubisoft Montreal being a primarily English-speaking studio, it would be asinine for them to make content that even they themselves would probably have to put subtitles on to understand. The Mohawk scenes were done for canonical reasons; the Animus has trouble translating extremely common languages like Spanish and Italian at times, so it would have been stupid if it could magically translate a Native American language that only a handful of people on the planet understand today.

Let's try not to be so hostile in the future? No more vaguely racist gang-banger emojis?

Should I assume you never heard of Pulp Fiction?

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/03/photos-pulp-fiction-history/_jcr_content/par/cn_contentwell/par-main/cn_slideshow/item0.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.pulp-fiction-ss01.jpg

Edit: forgot to answer to the rest.

The problem is that the large majority of English speaking people refuses to watch anything that requires reading subtitles, I have read more than one article about this, and no, I can't give you any links because I don't remember them.

LoyalACFan
02-07-2014, 02:08 AM
Once again, AC1 had it done perfectly. Not talking of Altair's voice of course, that one was weird, but ALL the other characters were PERFECTLY recorded, they really did an amazing job. And the best is during combat, omg it was wonderful. Maybe some of you don't or won't recall, but in AC1, the soldiers (usually the high graded) used to throw arabic/ german/ french lines during combats, it was really awesome even thou I did not understand all of them (german and arabic ones). But you feel that they are angry and are giving orders to kill you, and this is something that never EVER came back, which is a shame.

And no, I don't think having a whole game in the 'native language' is a good idea, having a option would be nice thou, AC2 had italian, but it was also in the Desmond sequences so it looked really weird. But the best it still imo English + Accent + Glitches. ;)

Agreed. Although the AC1 guards used too few insults IMO. The ones they did use were awesome, but sometimes at night, I can still hear "INFIDEL, DIE!!!" echoing in the deep recesses of my brain :p

Fights have been oddly quiet ever since AC1, though, haven't they? I especially miss Altair's battle cries. It's a little disconcerting when I realize that Ezio/Connor/Edward all fight viciously without vocalizing anything at all. Not even an occasional "Hyah!" I remember this one double counter in AC3 where Connor kills one guy and charges at the other with his features contorted into this gruesome battle cry face, but no sound comes out :rolleyes:

AdamPearce
02-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Agreed. Although the AC1 guards used too few insults IMO. The ones they did use were awesome, but sometimes at night, I can still hear "INFIDEL, DIE!!!" echoing in the deep recesses of my brain :p

Fights have been oddly quiet ever since AC1, though, haven't they? I especially miss Altair's battle cries. It's a little disconcerting when I realize that Ezio/Connor/Edward all fight viciously without vocalizing anything at all. Not even an occasional "Hyah!" I remember this one double counter in AC3 where Connor kills one guy and charges at the other with his features contorted into this gruesome battle cry face, but no sound comes out :rolleyes:

The fact they don't use too much insult can be related to the era, it is the Crusades after all, I doubt people were openly insult others. I mean, the worst we can get is Infidel or Heretic. ;0

But omg you are right, I haven't seen that, now I think about it, they are all very silent in combat, damn, thanks for that !

LoyalACFan
02-07-2014, 02:25 AM
The fact they don't use too much insult can be related to the era, it is the Crusades after all, I doubt people were openly insult others. I mean, the worst we can get is Infidel or Heretic. ;0

I don't mean the taunts themselves, just the actual lines. The "INFIDEL, DIE" one I mentioned was repeated I dunno how many times in AC1, and it was always the same exact audio file being played, same voice actor and everything. So it came across feeling like there were only like five or six soldiers in the entire Holy Land, and each of them only knew one taunt :p

The only thing that comes close to being as annoying as "INFIDEL, DIE" was "I GOT 'IM IN ME SIGHTS" from AC3 and AC4. I hear that one all the damn time too.

SixKeys
02-07-2014, 04:57 AM
The problem is that the large majority of English speaking people refuses to watch anything that requires reading subtitles, I have read more than one article about this, and no, I can't give you any links because I don't remember them.

In the case of movies, I would agree. Movies and TV shows are always better in their original language. Games, however, require a lot more interaction and concentration. Hell, I already have trouble keeping up with the English language conversations in the tailing missions. I'm so busy following guards' paths, calculating the safest routes, looking at my minimap and making sure I'm not being detected that I always miss about 75% of the conversation. Just imagine if those tailing missions were in Chinese or Mohawk or some other really difficult language.

BATISTABUS
02-07-2014, 05:24 AM
The Mohawk scenes were done for canonical reasons; the Animus has trouble translating extremely common languages like Spanish and Italian at times, so it would have been stupid if it could magically translate a Native American language that only a handful of people on the planet understand today.
I know you don't mean it as so, but saying "only a handful of people" is insensitive and doesn't accurately represent the amount of people that speak Kanien'keha (around 3,500). Leaving the language intact was absolutely NOT done for canonical reasons...they used an in-universe explanation to make it fit nicely, but even without that, they would have had them speak Mohawk anyway. Ubisoft did it because their culture is not something that is merely for sale. Anyone who uses Native American (or any indigenous) heritage as a means of promoting their own career (anthropology, biology, archaeology, history, gaming, film, etc.) should provide something more meaningful than money in return. Language preservation is a very important cultural value, and the people at the OnkwawÚn:na Raotitiˇhkwa Language and Cultural Center wanted that. Ubisoft wanted to respect the culture, and liked it for authenticity reasons. It's the same reason they chose the vocal songs to play at the village instead of just Balfe tracks. It would have been much easier and time/cost effective to just force the characters to speak English, and then you wouldn't need that Animus justification. Would it really be that hard to believe that Abstergo had cataloged the language? Sorry for the "rant", but I just wanted to clarify that.

If it's hard to follow conversations during a tail, that's a level design issue above anything else.

SirZeel
02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I much preferred the Ezio style of English with an Italian accent, with the odd Italian word thrown in. It just suited it better.

Actually I thought this solution was kinda weird.
He's an ITALIAN living in ITALY. Why would he speak ENGLISH with ITALIAN accent? Either let him speak english with proper accent or make him speak italian directly.

SixKeys
02-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Actually I thought this solution was kinda weird.
He's an ITALIAN living in ITALY. Why would he speak ENGLISH with ITALIAN accent? Either let him speak english with proper accent or make him speak italian directly.

The in-universe explanation is that the Animus translated Ezio's Italian imperfectly, hence the accent and the odd bit of Italian. If you want the game to be completely authentic, they actually give you the option to play it entirely in Italian. (I did this once, still prefer the English voices though.) Maybe this would be the best solution: wherever the game takes place, they should include both the English version and a version of the game in the language of that region. Would have been cool to play ACR in Turkish, for example.

SirZeel
02-07-2014, 05:59 PM
The in-universe explanation is that the Animus translated Ezio's Italian imperfectly, hence the accent and the odd bit of Italian. If you want the game to be completely authentic, they actually give you the option to play it entirely in Italian. (I did this once, still prefer the English voices though.) Maybe this would be the best solution: wherever the game takes place, they should include both the English version and a version of the game in the language of that region. Would have been cool to play ACR in Turkish, for example.

Ahahah, that's kinda funny if I think about it.
I'm italian, so I had the game in italian language with italian accent... and to play it with full immersion I had to play it in english with italian accent.

But let me ask: this "italian option" you're talking about was a real italian or a "fake" italian? I presume that if it was in real italian it was just like my version of the game, with italian actors and italian voices. But I heard the "fake" italian of the english version, and [for an italian guy, of course] it was nothing similar to a real italian.

And last thing: I am glad I played it in english, since there are SO MUCH speeches that can't be really appreciated in the translated version, like "IT'S-A ME, MARIO!" from your uncle. The italian version doesn't make the reference recognizable.

SixKeys
02-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Ahahah, that's kinda funny if I think about it.
I'm italian, so I had the game in italian language with italian accent... and to play it with full immersion I had to play it in english with italian accent.

But let me ask: this "italian option" you're talking about was a real italian or a "fake" italian? I presume that if it was in real italian it was just likemy version of the game, with italian actors and italian voices. But I heard the "fake" italian of the english version, and [for an italian guy, of course] it was nothing similar to a real italian.

And last thing: I am glad I played it in english, since there are SO MUCH speeches that can't be really appreciated in the translated version, like "IT'S-A ME, MARIO!" from your uncle. The italian version doesn't make the reference recognizable.

It was real Italian, just the normal Italian dub of the game with Italian actors. You can't expect actors whose native language is English to speak perfect Italian. AC2 was an exaggerated, Hollywood-style version of Italy, and Ezio was an exaggerated stereotype of an Italian ladies' man. The Italian in the English game, while done with the help of language consultants, was made to be entertaining rather than 100% accurate.

You make a good point with the Uncle Mario example, too. Writing the game for an English-speaking audience is much easier for the English-speaking script writers because they can add all kinds of jokes, puns or turns of phrase that are often impossible to translate into other languages. The "It's-a me-a!" joke works precisely because it's a joke in the English-speaking world, and translating it even literally into real Italian doesn't have quite the same effect.

Another problem is that in some languages you lose even little bits of nuance like Ezio's accent in the English version. I've watched some clips from the Japanese dub of AC2 and they didn't include a single word of Italian or make the characters sound non-Japanese. IIt makes sense, though, because in Japanese it's near impossible to give a Japanese-speaking character a foreign accent and still make it possible to understand what they're saying. Japanese has very strict grammatical rules and even pronouncing one small thing wrong can really confuse people. So they opted to just make everyone speak perfect Japanese with no hint of Italian, and instead using slang or rude phrasing to communicate a character's personality to the audience.

BATISTABUS
02-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Maybe this would be the best solution: wherever the game takes place, they should include both the English version and a version of the game in the language of that region. Would have been cool to play ACR in Turkish, for example.
The problem with that is that these are secondary dubs, which are always inferior to the original product. The most time, money, and effort was put into the original release, while dubs are tacked on and (justifiably) deemed less important.

SirZeel
02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
It was real Italian, just the normal Italian dub of the game with Italian actors. You can't expect actors whose native language is English to speak perfect Italian. AC2 was an exaggerated, Hollywood-style version of Italy, and Ezio was an exaggerated stereotype of an Italian ladies' man. The Italian in the English game, while done with the help of language consultants, was made to be entertaining rather than 100% accurate.

About this, I might have to apologize.
I didn't even think they had to speak perfect italian, I wasn't expecting that much. My english is not even near to a perfect english, and probably I'd sound like Ezio to you, if you were listening me. :D
I was just wondering which one of the two versions you were talking about ["real" italian option or "fake" italian option].

And about curses... even in the italian version some sentences of the npcs were not translated to "real" italian, specially the really short ones ["Ok" "Va bene" "Arrivederci"] of the merchants. But most hilarious it's that if you walk near to a couple of npcs talking, you can hear them having a fight in "fake" italian... and they are HEAVY CURSING each other, like "Figlio di puttana" [son of a b**ch], "Non fai mai un cazzo" [you're doing fu**ing nothing] and some other wife-husband related phrases.

You make a good point with the Uncle Mario example, too. Writing the game for an English-speaking audience is much easier for the English-speaking script writers because they can add all kinds of jokes, puns or turns of phrase that are often impossible to translate into other languages. The "It's-a me-a!" joke works precisely because it's a joke in the English-speaking world, and translating it even literally into real Italian doesn't have quite the same effect.

Another problem is that in some languages you lose even little bits of nuance like Ezio's accent in the English version. I've watched some clips from the Japanese dub of AC2 and they didn't include a single word of Italian or make the characters sound non-Japanese. IIt makes sense, though, because in Japanese it's near impossible to give a Japanese-speaking character a foreign accent and still make it possible to understand what they're saying. Japanese has very strict grammatical rules and even pronouncing one small thing wrong can really confuse people. So they opted to just make everyone speak perfect Japanese with no hint of Italian, and instead using slang or rude phrasing to communicate a character's personality to the audience.

Oh... I didn't know about the japanese version, but now that you bring the point I guess you're pretty right.
But yeah, since AC Revelations, III and IV forced me to turn on subtitles [since the audio was awful], I'd like to have a main language option with subs.
I mean, they alredy did it on ACIII with the native language of Connor. Would have been amazing to play Revelation in turkish.

SixKeys
02-07-2014, 08:45 PM
The problem with that is that these are secondary dubs, which are always inferior to the original product. The most time, money, and effort was put into the original release, while dubs are tacked on and (justifiably) deemed less important.

Thing is that if they wanted to write a game authentically in a different language, they would basically need two or more script-writers. One to write the English version (aka the basic story, and one or more to translate it and add their own touches to the foreign-language. The Mohawk bits in AC3 must have been ridiculously hard to write: first Corey had to communicate what he wanted the characters to say, to make them sound natural and wise at the same time (the Clan Mother vs. young Connor are two very different characters, for example), then a Mohawk translator had to take the script and translate it into their native language without losing any of the original script's essence, while making it flow naturally to the Mohawk ear. I bring up the "It's-a me-a, Mario" joke again as an example. What if a particular language doesn't have an equivalent of a certain phrase? What if such a cultural reference would be lost or out-of-place in the intended language? What if something that sounds really powerful or funny in English is simply impossible to translate? Sometimes translators have to come up with entirely new replacement jokes or phrases in an effort to try and communicate the mood of the scene. Sometimes these work, sometimes they fall flat on their face. You can end up with some really embarrassing mistakes if you don't have a good grasp of the language. Having two or more script-writers instantly complicates the writing process as they both need to make sure their dialogue is easy to translate, doesn't depend too much on puns or phrases that only make sense in English and obviously, they both should get paid equally since they're doing the same amount of work. I honestly don't think it would be worth it for Ubi.

ze_topazio
02-08-2014, 02:08 AM
If we want to be very accurate, then Ezio should speak XV century Italian and not modern Italian, I once saw this Brazilian film about the early days of colonization in the XVI century and one of the particularities of that movie is how the characters speak in XVI century Portuguese instead of the modern one, a rather interesting experience I have to say.

Now that I think about it, it's a shame most of you didn't understood the absurdities the Portuguese soldiers were saying in AC4, in my opinion, some of the most hilarious in the game.

Landruner
02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
AC3, ACL, and AC4 all take place in locations where English is widely spoken. When other languages are spoken (Spanish, French, Portuguese, Haitian, Kanien'keha, Taino, etc.), subtitles are given, but the words themselves aren't translated (as they were for Altair and Ezio). There are a number of meta explanations for this; it lets players know that the characters are speaking a language other than English, and it promotes indigenous languages. However, if and when an Assassin's Creed game takes place in an area where English is never spoken, do you think we'll get subs? Would you be okay with reading subtitles for the whole game? Do you think the greater gaming community would accept something like that?

Personally, I would like it if characters spoke entirely in their own languages. I have absolutely no problem reading subtitles, and it really boosts the authenticity of the game in my opinion. It would also get rid of complaints about phony-sounding accents (like some say about Ezio) or improper accents (Altair AC1). Just as the Animus 3.0 stopped applying the face of the Animus user to the historical protagonist, it could also stop the translation of the language (which I think would be a fine justification). Any thoughts? Would you be okay with a non-English speaking historical protagonist?

Technically it is not a bad idea, and i like that, but in the execution I do not think it is actually possible.
- It is like some the movie industry and it is taking a large risk for a developer to release a game in this state - Some movie directors go away with this (Tarentino & Gibson come in mind), but the all the producers are rather resistant to release movies with protagonist(s) speaking their native language only.
In the game industry, no one really so far exploited this completely, and I think the reason it that it could restrict dramatically the sale and success of a game.

poptartz20
02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I personally don't mind subtitles. Funny thing is for me actually I end up turning on the subtitles in most games I play anyways. Also I just watch foreign shows and films so reading subtitles is almost second nature to me.

The only problem I would see with this is when you have long/lengthy parts of dialogue and the subtitles at the bottom start running very quickly not to mention if there is a lot of action going on at the bottom. It can cause for a loss of immersion very quickly especially for those who already don't like subtitles.

RzaRecta357
02-08-2014, 06:32 PM
I always turn them on in every game just incase I miss something. Plus these games are awesome and throw in swears or random words in different languages so you get to learn something. What's your problem, TC?

Never change this AC team. :P.

Syler99
02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I use the subtitles as assurance I heard them correctly for missions and incase of foreign languages I like to read what the heck they're saying I learned several Italian words that way thanks to the series so when they do not translate the foreign words I feel in the dark even if you could reasonably guess what the word might mean I'd rather just have it shown. I don't care if I have English w/ English subtitles as I said its a confirmation thing if its too noisy or the actor isn't doing a great job in pronunciations then I've got a fall back you can already toggle them on or off so whats the deal with wanting them removed?

Hans684
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM
I like subtitles becouse none of the languages so far has been my native language.