PDA

View Full Version : Please remove the Captchas!

pacmanate
02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
I don't like them, you don't like them, we don't like them.

I understand why they have been put in place due to the recent spam fest but there has got to be another way.

I really want to post things but having to type in a captcha for everything just makes me not want to post, so this will be my last post until its fixed.

Mr_Shade
02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi Pacmanate,

Your feedback has been passed on to the Forum Team about the current situation.

I would like to point out that the spammers are not always Bots, so it's not a simple task to stop - thingshave been tried in the past - so this is an attempt to deter them from posting - the Forum Team are investigating other means to stop them without impacting you, so please bear with us while this happens.

The spam is pretty widespread on other parts of the forum - moderators and managers, normally can deal with 99% before it becomes an issue - however due to the forums being targeted when staff are not present to deal with it - it can mount up.. however it's fairly easy to spot and most members know to ignore it.

Recently however - it has increased a lot in volume in some of the forums, some have had 20 /30 pages of it, while Staff were not online to remove it so the Forum Admins have locked all of the forums down with captcha for the time being.

Please also continue to report any threads, that slip through, so one of the Forum Moderators or Managers can remove them.

dxsxhxcx
02-05-2014, 07:49 PM
isn't there a way to make them (captchas) obligatory for new users until they reach a certain post count (like 80, 150 or more)? What I could notice is that the recent spam attacks were all made with new accounts (with 1~10 posts), if the captchas prevent these attacks from happening maybe this could be a solution to make our lives easier and also stop these attacks since these accounts usually don't live long enough to reach that post count..

Mr_Shade
02-05-2014, 07:59 PM
All feedback will be highlighted to the Forum Admins, so I can't comment on anything just yet regarding what systems they will put in place long term - apart from saying the reasons it's been turned on, which most people have already guessed.

Just want to be clear, I personally don't want anything that will impact the community, since it's not your fault, so please do continue to post any feedback you guys have, but also PLEASE continue to post on the forums.

pacmanate
02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
PLEASE continue to post on the forums.

Well if you insist <3

Edit:

In regard to what dxsxhxcx said, I think his/her idea is good. Shade, you said you didn't want something to impact the community, so how about instead of first 5-10 posts being captcha'd, how about just everyones first post?

That would still stop spam bots as they wouldnt be able to get past their first post, and its hardly hassle for newbies as it will just be their first legit post.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
What about a facebook type system when you can only post a certain amount of times within an hour or flag rapid posting (say 20 psts max per hour/2 threads per hour)
Will give time to catch spammers.

LoyalACFan
02-06-2014, 01:01 AM
isn't there a way to make them (captchas) obligatory for new users until they reach a certain post count (like 80, 150 or more)? What I could notice is that the recent spam attacks were all made with new accounts (with 1~10 posts), if the captchas prevent these attacks from happening maybe this could be a solution to make our lives easier and also stop these attacks since these accounts usually don't live long enough to reach that post count..

This is a good idea.

poptartz20
02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Ahhh.... okay I was wondering if it was just my account. So this is what happened. Good to know. ehh.. as much as I would like post this is kinda a deterrence

I hope you guys as come to a conclusion soon!

I really like this idea as well..

Aphex_Tim
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Capcha's don't really seem to be working so far... page 1 and 2 are riddled with spam again.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
What about a facebook type system when you can only post a certain amount of times within an hour or flag rapid posting (say 20 psts max per hour/2 threads per hour)
Will give time to catch spammers.

I will pass this along.

I-Like-Pie45
02-08-2014, 04:31 PM
How about adding more red tape in making accounts

poptartz20
02-08-2014, 05:50 PM
I was hoping they would be gone by now... hahah. Oh well.

pirate1802
02-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Ahhh.... okay I was wondering if it was just my account. So this is what happened. Good to know. ehh.. as much as I would like post this is kinda a deterrence.

I too thought it was a problem on my end. Dxsxhxcx's idea is a good one.