PDA

View Full Version : Cautious Optimism/Pessimism

Thomas Norton
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I join in the predictable optimism being expressed over the letter of Mr Boitor. It does appear that the developer has heard the expressed desire of the sub sim community, both here and at subsim, where the letter also appears.
I am somewhat nervous over what this letter tells us, and what it does not tell us.
The use of "polls" to help qualify the sub sim majority desire to have a realistic simulation, which was clearly evident well before E3, seems, well, suspect.
Obviously, the expectation of a dynamic campaign was well known to the developers. The fact that this letter goes on to state:
"We'll also present to you very soon the main principles of our campaign system."
This is a reflection of their knowledge of the importance of this feature to the majority of the sub sim community.
It is ironic that SHIII can win Gamespots best sim at E3 and Mr Boitor's letter does not mention this. He evidently knows his intended audence with this letter, and does not want to disrespect it. It appears he knows the majority at these forums have no interest in a Doom At Sea III game, to be ported over to the game cube in the near furture.
There was reported at E3 a great deal of speculation over a projected release date. SHIII looked to be near the end of the Alpha build. If this is true, and in fact it is at or near Beta (the mention of beta testers was not an accident), then it is conceivable that in fact SHIII has a September release target.
Can the game engine be altered in time to address what has been expressed so often here, and elsewhere?
The key will be does the code already exist in the current build to edit for the desired additions. If it does not, are there already in place "hooks" in the game engine to allow for such?
So very much of what can be expected rides on the forthcoming presentation of the main principles of the campaign system. This is going to reflect where the game is at, and frankly, where the game is going to go.
We wait with caution.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother.

Thomas Norton
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I join in the predictable optimism being expressed over the letter of Mr Boitor. It does appear that the developer has heard the expressed desire of the sub sim community, both here and at subsim, where the letter also appears.
I am somewhat nervous over what this letter tells us, and what it does not tell us.
The use of "polls" to help qualify the sub sim majority desire to have a realistic simulation, which was clearly evident well before E3, seems, well, suspect.
Obviously, the expectation of a dynamic campaign was well known to the developers. The fact that this letter goes on to state:
"We'll also present to you very soon the main principles of our campaign system."
This is a reflection of their knowledge of the importance of this feature to the majority of the sub sim community.
It is ironic that SHIII can win Gamespots best sim at E3 and Mr Boitor's letter does not mention this. He evidently knows his intended audence with this letter, and does not want to disrespect it. It appears he knows the majority at these forums have no interest in a Doom At Sea III game, to be ported over to the game cube in the near furture.
There was reported at E3 a great deal of speculation over a projected release date. SHIII looked to be near the end of the Alpha build. If this is true, and in fact it is at or near Beta (the mention of beta testers was not an accident), then it is conceivable that in fact SHIII has a September release target.
Can the game engine be altered in time to address what has been expressed so often here, and elsewhere?
The key will be does the code already exist in the current build to edit for the desired additions. If it does not, are there already in place "hooks" in the game engine to allow for such?
So very much of what can be expected rides on the forthcoming presentation of the main principles of the campaign system. This is going to reflect where the game is at, and frankly, where the game is going to go.
We wait with caution.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother.