PDA

View Full Version : Historical lost records centering on B-17?

owlwatcher
01-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Is there any records of damaged planes on the Luffwaffe side. I have kill numbers but no damaged numbers.
All centering on (heavy bomber) B-17 attacks.
With high claims on the US side, might there be some merit to this with damaged planes.
I find attacking B-17's that I end up with a damaged intercptor 95 percent of the time?
Not complaining, Just telling the story.

owlwatcher
01-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Is there any records of damaged planes on the Luffwaffe side. I have kill numbers but no damaged numbers.
All centering on (heavy bomber) B-17 attacks.
With high claims on the US side, might there be some merit to this with damaged planes.
I find attacking B-17's that I end up with a damaged intercptor 95 percent of the time?
Not complaining, Just telling the story.

A.K.Davis
01-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Yes, that's part of the issue, but gunner claims were still grossly exaggerated. When you have 3 or 4 guys all claiming a kill when a plane dives away "trailing smoke" (German fighters often left smoke trails when running at full power later in the war), you begin to have a problem.

Gunner claims were not vigorously investigated (if at all) for morale reasons. And, frankly, why should they have been. If it helped to lessen the feelings of hopelessness in the face of very poor odds, I can't really blame the USAAF. Even a false sense of effective defense is better than no confidence at all.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

owlwatcher
01-14-2004, 12:09 AM
[
Gunner claims were not vigorously investigated (if at all) for morale reasons. And, frankly, why should they have been. If it helped to lessen the feelings of hopelessness in the face of very poor odds, I can't really blame the USAAF. Even a false sense of effective defense is better than no confidence at all.

--AKD
I agree on your statement totally .
Just wondered on how german fighter reguired battle repair from these conflicks and with relation to what we see in this game.
German losses might have been low for total loses but there might have been alot of battle damaged aircraft.
http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg [/QUOTE]

IcarusXP
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
I have no data to add here, but it makes sence that 10 piss-scared kids armed with .50 cals blazzing away at the sky...

...one of them is going to hit you.

"The only reason we liberated France was to get to Germany"
-Rush Limbaugh