PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts Please !! is the a Red herring !!

MasterAssasin84
02-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Reports are thick and fast on various gaming sites and FB that AC5 could be set in Japan !

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2244572/assassins_creed_5_could_be_set_in_feudal_japan_ubi soft.html

LoyalACFan
02-03-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm calling BS. This sounds like someone directly asked him "will there be a Feudal Japan game?" and he responded with a "maybe, we have all of history to work with," and someone took that out of context and framed it as "AC Director says he might be making a Japan game!"

In any case, if they had a Japan game already in the works, he certainly wouldn't be hinting at it. He would have signed an NDA, after all. If anything, I think this suggests that there is NOT a Feudal Japan game on the docket. Even if there is one in the future, I'm totally convinced that it isn't coming out this year... or probably even next year.

poptartz20
02-03-2014, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't really be happy about a game being in japan honestly. The Japanese don't even want a game in Japan. Haha. China perhaps?

I'm curious to see where this will go honestly.

LoyalACFan
02-03-2014, 01:22 AM
China perhaps?

Would much prefer this anyway. Ninjas are overrated.

SixKeys
02-03-2014, 01:49 AM
I'm calling BS. This sounds like someone directly asked him "will there be a Feudal Japan game?" and he responded with a "maybe, we have all of history to work with," and someone took that out of context and framed it as "AC Director says he might be making a Japan game!"

^ Exactly this.

/thread

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-03-2014, 01:56 AM
^ Exactly this.

/thread

^I second that. Media likes to misinterpret things… A LOT!

STDlyMcStudpants
02-03-2014, 03:19 AM
We'll know this month...
Not looking forward to a japan setting announcement though -_-
Hopefully the 2 game rumors are true and ps3 is getting a connor/edward sequel.. just so i dont have to cry about the boringness of AC Japan
Ugh..the buildings..they are in every video game...whyyy :'(

poptartz20
02-03-2014, 04:39 AM
We'll know this month...
Hopefully the 2 game rumors are true and ps3 is getting a connor/edward sequel.. just so i dont have to cry about the boringness of AC Japan

really? did we already know about AC4 in February!? (the rumors started on Kotaku) Where has a year gone! Actually and come to think of it again... We were just about to get the first episode of ToKW DLC. well... I hope it's not Japan... I guess we will find out soon enough.

Consus_E
02-03-2014, 05:03 AM
We'll know this month...

What do you actually know about Japan?

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2014, 05:10 AM
I hope it's not Japan, either. One of the worst settings they could possibly pick.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-03-2014, 06:22 AM
What do you actually know about Japan?

I know that their culture is overdone in entertainment, especially in video games....
It's almost impossible to play a platformer and not get a japanese themed level...
I want nothing to do with their architecture or samurais..I was over it in 3rd grade....

STDlyMcStudpants
02-03-2014, 06:25 AM
really? did we already know about AC4 in February!? (the rumors started on Kotaku) Where has a year gone! Actually and come to think of it again... We were just about to get the first episode of ToKW DLC. well... I hope it's not Japan... I guess we will find out soon enough.
It leaked late feb last year..ubi officially released the art on the 28th haha

Consus_E
02-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I know that their culture is overdone in entertainment, especially in video games....
It's almost impossible to play a platformer and not get a japanese themed level...
I want nothing to do with their architecture or samurais..I was over it in 3rd grade....

So your knowledge of Japan is based on what you new in the 3rd grade? Whatever... What about China? Korea? Mongolia? Vietnam? Thailand? Cambodia?

I would rather avoid Japan as a setting, though I wouldn't be heart broken if it was a game... I'm mostly interested in having a second female protagonist and exploring an east Asian setting...

RinoTheBouncer
02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I hope they make it in Mesopotamia, the Sumerian Civilization or Ancient Egypt. Lets have something before Altair, something to based on the foundations of the brotherhood that he made and lets see something that is very intriguing and new and see what the brotherhood looked like back then. I’m sick of all the guns and ships and everything being made so advanced.

I want to go back to a period where the story matters more than the gameplay mechanics, where the scenery is something worth looking at not the copy/paste islands and endless waters or jungles.

NAVID4ASSASSIN
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
100% agree with u, i love ac4 but im so bored of ac right now, would be great if they going to make a shorter less detailed game and stuff but with a strong story, honestly the bigger the games get with more equipment and collectibles the more they bore the hell out of me. i want an assassins creed game not an action adventure pirate thing game, i want to feel the story again like back in the days of ac1 or 2.

BandicootBeav
02-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I hope they make it in Mesopotamia, the Sumerian Civilization or Ancient Egypt. Lets have something before Altair, something to based on the foundations of the brotherhood that he made and lets see something that is very intriguing and new and see what the brotherhood looked like back then. I’m sick of all the guns and ships and everything being made so advanced.

I want to go back to a period where the story matters more than the gameplay mechanics, where the scenery is something worth looking at not the copy/paste islands and endless waters or jungles.

This 100% I don't want no more guns and explosions but intrigue and mystery, and a good story to go with it. I would love to go back to Rome in this time, a good setting I think would be before, during and after the revolt of Spartacus. Romans make good Templars. Probably watched to much of the awesome tv series but I think it could be done.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
So your knowledge of Japan is based on what you new in the 3rd grade? Whatever... What about China? Korea? Mongolia? Vietnam? Thailand? Cambodia?

I would rather avoid Japan as a setting, though I wouldn't be heart broken if it was a game... I'm mostly interested in having a second female protagonist and exploring an east Asian setting...

its boring and cliche #SorryNotSorry

Shahkulu101
02-03-2014, 08:19 PM
All Asian history is boring and cliche - there you have it folks. I'm quite impressed this fellow knows the entirety of one continent's history, rather astonishing to be frank.

Say Mcstudpants, do you have a PHD of any sort?

ze_topazio
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
There's no game like AC about Japan, China or any other Asian location, by that logic the middle ages, the crusades, Pirates and America have been used to death by every media in existence.

killzab
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
its boring and cliche #SorryNotSorry

LeVoyageur07
02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Japan would awesome.

MasterAssasin84
02-03-2014, 09:21 PM
I think if its done right a Japanese Based Assassins Creed could be awesome !

Just imagine the stealth gameplay that could be applied ? the Beautiful colourful lush Japanese countryside and the amazing architecture of the Fuedal Japan ? i think it could work and suffice to say i would really enjoy it .

Kagurra
02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I think if its done right a Japanese Based Assassins Creed could be awesome !

Just imagine the stealth gameplay that could be applied ? the Beautiful colourful lush Japanese countryside and the amazing architecture of the Fuedal Japan ? i think it could work and suffice to say i would really enjoy it .

I'd be fine with this or China. I just want something... different.

New types of swords, combat, hopefully less ranged weapons, more of the AC1 type of mission structure like "Go into this city and find out when your target is vulnerable, whether that be he's alone or he's giving a public appearance, and kill him." type gameplay instead of "he's on dis here boat cuz why not, air assassinate him after talking to a historical figure about it." That's getting old.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2014, 11:17 PM
I'd be fine with this or China. I just want something... different.

Definitely! Setting the future AC titles in China, Korea, and most other Eastern places would be the new-unique change fans need. It's a perfect excuse to pull another engine upgrade and severely change the formula like they have the the 17-18th Century.

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 12:08 AM
"he's on dis here boat cuz why not, air assassinate him after talking to a historical figure about it." That's getting old.

This x1000. While you're never going to hear me singing the praises of AC1's investigations, there should be something more to the assassinations than just "go to waypoint through linear path, press Square."

That, and I'm actually getting tired of the over-saturation of historical characters in AC in general. AC3 was by far the worst offender on this front. I think they should revert to a cast of mostly fictional characters (assassination targets notwithstanding) and only use historical figures that are directly relevant to the protagonist's story, i.e. Leonardo or Al Mualim/Rashid ad din Sinan.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-04-2014, 12:10 AM
All Asian history is boring and cliche - there you have it folks. I'm quite impressed this fellow knows the entirety of one continent's history, rather astonishing to be frank.

Say Mcstudpants, do you have a PHD of any sort?
I have a masters.... lolll
History and culture are not the same...I just find samurais, ninjas, and the lantern houses to be so over used in games. You cant get away from them.

There's no game like AC about Japan, China or any other Asian location, by that logic the middle ages, the crusades, Pirates and America have been used to death by every media in existence.
I thought about that and there is a difference.. I agree pirates are cliche but we've never got a really good pirate game before....there are what 16 Dynasty Warrior games? All set in japan with samaris and ninjas...there are tons of great games with the japanese setting..there are also tons of not great games set there...thats 2 tons!
as far as a,erica amd crusades..idk what youre talking about lol

Fatal-Feit
02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
As much as I enjoy RPGs and the Japanese culture, I agree with STD. Japan is too common and overused. Especially with games that already depict the setting quite well and has a similar formula to AC. We have Samurai Warriors, Tenchu, Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha, Yakuza , and Way of the Samurai. Even Fatal Frame if you want. Japan is beautiful for sure, and I'm certain AC can pull it off in new heights, but come on... China is severely underrated and would be a better unique candidate.

PS: STD, stop speaking out of your arse. Dynasty Warriors is Chinese, brah.

[EDIT] All of the games I've mentioned have more than 2 sequels.

ShoryukenMan
02-04-2014, 02:17 AM
I've been seeing a lot people saying that Japan is overused in gaming media. That's kind of... well... hogwash. This past generation of gaming PS3/360/Wii has had much fewer games that are based in Japan. I have over 100 titles for my 360 and I'm looking at them as I type and I can only see a few games in my personal collection (which has a wide variety of genres) and I can only see a few games that took place in or was inspired by Japan/Japanese culture. I see people naming games that haven't had a sequel in a long time.

What I am seeing is hundreds and hundreds of games taking place in American or European cultures. So, come on guys. Let AC go to Japan. It's going to happen eventually. We've had six games in the main series (not counting handhelds) time for a change architecture.

In the end, I personally don't care where AC goes. I'm sure I'll enjoy the setting and atmosphere. But in my opinion, and in a lot of others', I believe we're going to China.

Consus_E
02-04-2014, 04:16 AM
I have a masters.... lol

History and culture are not the same...I just find samurais, ninjas, and the lantern houses to be so over used in games. You can't get away from them.

Really?!

The plural for Ninja is Ninja and the plural for Samurai is Samurai... Also what's a lantern house?
What about China? That way we don't have to have Ninja, Samurai, or "Lantern Houses..."

Fatal-Feit
02-04-2014, 04:26 AM
Samurai Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, Yakuza, and Way of the Samurai are quite recent.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Really?!

The plural for Ninja is Ninja and the plural for Samurai is Samurai... Also what's a lantern house?
What about China? That way we don't have to have Ninja, Samurai, or "Lantern Houses..."
Grammar police..id be fine with china..the great wall and such...also if we have a panda whistle. http://i62.tinypic.com/10ie97t.png

ShoryukenMan
02-04-2014, 04:59 AM
Samurai Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, Yakuza, and Way of the Samurai are quite recent.

Samurai Warriors and Way of the Samurai are very niche anyhow. Neither does very well outside of Japan and most people don't even know what those two titles are. But I'll give you Ninja Gaiden and Yakuza. Still, for every game that takes place in Japan, I'll name you 10 that don't.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-04-2014, 05:02 AM

Plus sleeping dogs, Dynasty warriors 7, dynasty warriors 8

pacmanate
02-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Without quoting someone here cause I can't be bothered, AC needs to have a serious do-over or at least a "Reboot" of sorts.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-04-2014, 05:17 AM
PS Just did a quick google search>

Games set in Crusades: 5
Games in American Revolution: Only results I could find is "why aren't there more?
Games about pirates IN GENERAL not even about setting!!!! (Even includes games with a pirate character like Borderlands 2): 61
Games set in Feudal Japan (A SPECIFIC SETTING!!!!!): 71!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said..over done

Consus_E
02-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Grammar police..id be fine with china..the great wall and such...also if we have a panda whistle. http://i62.tinypic.com/10ie97t.png
Nope everyone knows the Chinese Assassins don't wear white robes :p

Still I would love to see Pandas, and there are plenty more locations to visit in China...

RzaRecta357
02-04-2014, 06:01 AM
Without quoting someone here cause I can't be bothered, AC needs to have a serious do-over or at least a "Reboot" of sorts.

Please see AC3.

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 06:48 AM

That's what AC3 was supposed to be. I'm not expecting another major revamp anytime soon, considering the "warm" reception AC3 got.

STDlyMcStudpants
02-04-2014, 06:55 AM
That's what AC3 was supposed to be. I'm not expecting another major revamp anytime soon, considering the "warm" reception AC3 got.

I'm actually expecting this years AC to be an AC > AC 2 > AC3 type jump.
Devs are already praising it and calling it "TRULY' next gen.
Assassins Creed 5 ( I HOPE) has probably been in development for 2 to 2 and a half years by now... I mean they started AC4 and knew about next gen then..Im sure they REALLY played with the technology as they were wrapping up AC3 in 2012 if not while working on ac iv..they couldve def had a small group start ac V, or at least start brain storming by the end of 2011....

pacmanate
02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Please see AC3.

I really mean EVERYTHING. The whole thing, graphic style, animations, the feel, engine.

obviously this will never happen. but these games are not progressing in quality at all. This is why Shadows of Mordor looks really appealing to me.

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 07:16 AM
I really mean EVERYTHING. The whole thing, graphic style, animations, the feel, engine.

obviously this will never happen. but these games are not progressing in quality at all. This is why Shadows of Mordor looks really appealing to me.

I dunno, SOM just looks like a dumbed-down version of the old pre-3 AC formula to me. Like it's AC1 with Arkham combat.

As for the revamp... I dunno, I kind of share that sentiment, but at the same time I think they have all the pieces in place, it's just that their execution has been hit or miss. As of AC4, they're still reeling from the decision made in 2011 to make an AC game every single year. Revelations was shoddy because it was made basically at the last minute, and AC3 was shoddy because Brotherhood and Revelations took the focus off of it for two years. AC4 was the first truly great AC game in years, so hopefully they've hit their stride with the yearly release cycle thing. Since they know now that they're on an annual schedule, I think they'll plan accordingly and ambitions for future games will be suited to the dev cycle they've been allotted. The problem with AC3 was that it was supposed to get three years of dev time, but didn't thanks to the Ezio spinoffs. At least now they know where they stand, so hopefully they won't bite off more than they can chew and release another unfinished mess like AC3.

As for the look and the feel of the franchise, I think a new setting would help that immensely. I loved AC4, but colonial NA has overstayed its welcome. It just doesn't have the appeal to carry several games like Renaissance Italy did. Little wooden two-story buildings can only remain interesting for a short while. Let's go somewhere completely different, like China or ancient Greece. Something that doesn't even resemble anything AC has ever done before.

pacmanate
02-04-2014, 09:27 AM
^ In reply.

I get where you are coming from too... but I still want a reboot of sorts. If not the looks then combat for the love of god. Everything in combat needs to be changed, its too easy and it just sucks. Giving us less health doesn't make the game harder if the combat is still easy.

I agree with you on location too. I REALLY want to go to Egypt or Persia just for the architecture and sand. I would love to see sandstorms in an AC game as a "weather" thing. Maybe even the Assassin, as well as wearing a hood, has a balaclava that he will put up during sandstorms. I think it would look cool :o

Then obviously you would have to have Sandstorms and sand affecting certain gameplay elements like making free running harder by making the wind push you slightly left or right.

Gibbo2g_83
02-04-2014, 11:46 AM
^ In reply.

I get where you are coming from too... but I still want a reboot of sorts. If not the looks then combat for the love of god. Everything in combat needs to be changed, its too easy and it just sucks. Giving us less health doesn't make the game harder if the combat is still easy.

To be honest I really like how the combat is now, its literally the only reason I finished AC3. I think the new combat system allows you to feel more Assassin like unlike the old games where you seem to spend half of the game holding the block button waiting to counter. I think to make combat harder they should make more enemies attack you at the same time and shorten the counter time this would make combat harder but still allow the player to look like an assassin fighting. I definitely think they need some new animations now though for the next game which I am hoping will be in China but I have a feeling it will be in France or a Mayan setting.
The main thing I think they need to change is the mission design basically every game is the same for missions and I think that's why AC2 and Brotherhood are though of as the best games in the series because of Leonardo and his inventions that allowed for a few different missions. Having said that though I think the devs are limited to what they can do while keeping the games sought of realistic and with a limited amount of vehicles.

AherasSTRG
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
An idea struck my head just 15 minutes ago, while playing Black Flag. Remember the twitt about the hint to AC5? "Keep looking at the stars" or something like that... Do you remember the following badass guy from the hacked e-mail?
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/024/b/d/cowboy_assassin_by_azraellavolpe-d4njino.jpg

Now... if you look closely to the picture:
1. You 'll notice that the guy he just killed wears a star on his coat (sherifs in Far West used to wear stars as a symbol of authority)
2. The assassin's posture follows the same motive that started with AC3's cover art (assassin just killed someone and standing over them)
Also, when we talk about cowboys, we refer to the middle to late 19th century, same time the American Civil War took place. But what was the real dispute in that civil war? The stars... the number of states allied and/or occupied by each warring side. The number of these states was depicted in its army's flag as... stars.

And now, you gonna say: "but hint were four Adeval De el see". And you do get me there...

So, for me, possible locations:
1. China / Japan
2. Egypt
3. Wild West
4. Aztecs / Inkas

adventurewomen
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
^ @Aheradrim: That image suggests a character from 19th century American wild west setting - look closely at that sheriff's badge. The assassin looks like a cowboy. Interesting image though! :)

--------------

^I second that. Media likes to misinterpret things… A LOT!
Agreed, the media and their slander, they mostly twist things for their own personal gain.

aL_____eX
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
I would love to visit Easter Island one day. I hope they move the First Civ part of the story to the Aztecs, they are probably as interesting as the Maya.

Ans there are so many interesting things and artifacts and locations mentioned in the modern day database files. I hope that some of these things mentioned there will have a meaning in the future.

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 07:56 PM
An idea struck my head just 15 minutes ago, while playing Black Flag. Remember the twitt about the hint to AC5? "Keep looking at the stars" or something like that... Do you remember the following badass guy from the hacked e-mail?

That was fan art. Just a little something the devs threw in there as a nod to the fans. Nothing to be taken too seriously.

In any case, I think an AC game set that recently in history would suck.

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree with you on location too. I REALLY want to go to Egypt or Persia just for the architecture and sand. I would love to see sandstorms in an AC game as a "weather" thing. Maybe even the Assassin, as well as wearing a hood, has a balaclava that he will put up during sandstorms. I think it would look cool :o

Then obviously you would have to have Sandstorms and sand affecting certain gameplay elements like making free running harder by making the wind push you slightly left or right.

Yeah, either of those would be great. Personally I'm hoping for a Far East setting, but I'm pretty much OK with anything just so long as it's not in the Americas.