PDA

View Full Version : Darby McDevitt on Forsaken, AC4 deleted scenes, Philosophies, and the Modern Day

loomer979
01-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone, I just released my recent podcast with Darby McDevitt. It's split into two parts and there are timestamp shortcuts and mp3 downloads in the video descriptions. Thanks to everyone who submitted questions for Darby, I hope you enjoy the final product!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHHHxEcDJ8

ze_topazio
01-31-2014, 09:35 PM
You could put that on written form.

SixKeys
01-31-2014, 09:51 PM
You could put that on written form.

What, like a transcript of the whole 1+ hour interview? Why would he want to do that?

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-31-2014, 10:37 PM
I am a professional transcriptionist online if you are in need of transcription services :)

luckyto
01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Oh wow... the Templar's Creed... that's sweet. I remember that part in the game, and I thought --- wow, that's kind of a cool oath. And didn't realize so much thought went in to writing it. Very good.

aL_____eX
02-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for that! Really interesting insights. :)

And that box... it definitely has a meaning! I don't know why I feel so convinced of this...

Sabuto78
02-01-2014, 01:00 AM
i love his reply on 2nd question pt1 for the people saying ezio and others werent "full" assassins or "true" assassins. Hopefully those arguments done

Fatal-Feit
02-01-2014, 01:03 AM
I wished he would have given us more insights on the box.

AdamPearce
02-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Hey what about adding fans to the podcasts ? I'm sure tons of people would be really interest ine talking with the devs/ actors ? :o)

Sabuto78
02-01-2014, 02:08 AM
mhmm 2nd part of the interview 2nd edward game might be incoming. I hope. nice interview tho. You are on your way loomer!

Consus_E
02-01-2014, 02:13 AM
I wished he would have given us more insights on the box.

That might spoil the next game ;)

Sabuto78
02-01-2014, 02:43 AM
at the end of interview2. The troll is strong well played Darby. Well played.

poptartz20
02-01-2014, 03:38 AM
ahh... thanks loomer. I'm looking forward to listening to those later! by the looks of some of the comments on here I won't be disappointed.

loomer979
02-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone, glad you're all enjoying the podcast!

Hey what about adding fans to the podcasts ? I'm sure tons of people would be really interest ine talking with the devs/ actors ? :o)

Yeah it's something I used to do for some of the earlier episodes. As time went on though, I think I felt it just wasn't adding enough to the episodes to justify the extra hassle in a lot of cases. In most cases, between the community questions and the outline/notes I write up a lot of people just didn't have much to add. It's also kind of rolling the dice as far as whether the person is well-spoken, has a lot to add to the conversation, has a decent quality microphone etc (not to mention the additional coordination required). We'll see in the future, but for now I'm trying out some episodes without extra people to see what it's like.

The good news is that nearly everyone that's been on the podcast is very active on twitter and they interact with fans pretty regularly. So it's actually generally pretty straightforward for fans to interact with these people if they want to. :)

frodrigues55
02-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I just heard part 1, that was a great talk! Both of you sure know your stuff.

Here's a quick recap for those who didn't hear. Those are the points I think most people would want to know:

- Darby kept laughing when asked about Freedom Cry's box. He does confirm the similarities with Embers' box were intentional, but wouldn't give more detail about it.

- Darby gave a little more insight about 2 of his favorite contents that were cut, but mentions neither of them ever passed the conceptual stage. He talked about one of them on that Q&A he did for Initiates, but for those who missed it, here's what he said about it:

Edward wouldn't go to prison right after being left behind by Roberts, he would actually go back to Nassau to look for Mary Read, so he could join the Assassins in Robert's pursuit. That was an importan section of the game because it would further develop Anne and Calico's relationship and Mary Read's character. Basically, Mary was approaching Anne so she could become an Assassin, and Calico was getting too jealous (he though Mary was a man, afterall). That's when the Mary would reveal herself as an woman. As Edward arrives there, the 4 of them would sail out after Roberts with a stolen ship. That's when Mary was going to confront Edward for his actions, as nothing he was doing was leading him into his goals. Their ship is attacked by the navy - Edward, Mary and Anne would fight alone for it as Calico Jack and the crew would be too drunk inside the ship. That's when they all get arrested and the plot follows from there.

Darby mentions this was cut for gameplay reasons, as the team felt it was too late in the game for them to return to Nassau once again and have another naval story mission. As it was an early cut, he managed to avoid any hole on the plot, but sacrificied the use of those characters and one of the most historical parts of the game. They were scared the pace of the game would suffer if they add one more sequence in Nassay. I admit it was a shame to hear his excitment about this scene, I wish they kept it.

- The other cut section was more general - they were planning on having AC1 style missions for all of the main assassinations, as all targets would have an investigation section and the assassination mission. However, that didn't turn out good/necessary so they left it behind. This decision was also an early one.

- There's a very interesting bit about Mary Read, which I was happy to hear because I completly agree with what they had done. It seems a lot of people wasn't fooled by Mary Read, but they still decided not to fake anything about it. They had the same actress playing her all along and didn't change anything about her body movement/voice pitch just to hide the fact that Kidd wasn't a man. That was a great decision IMO. It would bug the hell out of me if they made her masculine for the first sections and then, out of the blue, she was a woman.

- Darby also talked about the first scene that he saw completed, which is when Stede and Edward meets. He was in shock at how good the actors and the level of detail were, especially regarding the body language both actors use. It certainly is a great scene!

- There's a lof of talk about the Creed and how the name of the game hinders their ideias. Darby said the writters' job is to think about Assassin's Creed all the time, so they are always talking about new ideias to keep the game fresh. "All of the ideias the fans had, we already had", he says. Not all of them turn out good once they start working on it though, and also, many of them are plagued by the "Assassin's Creed" name. He mentions of them being the ideia of a pacifist Assassin, wich would have a more political/manipulative way of fighting templars. They also talk about having a Templar plot to show their side of the story. I was glad to hear this bit, because it's pretty much what I have thought about the new-present day: It's weird that Abstergo would release an Assassin game and change it to make the Assassins look bad. Would be a lot easier to show the world a good Templar, which most likely exist.

- Darby also talked about Black Flag's dialogues and how they couldn't be too deep like Revelation's. Basically, pirates wouldn't talk like political figures so they had to keep it simple for a while.

I think that's pretty much it. There's a lot of good stuff in there, especially regarding the game and philosophies in general. Also a little more insight about development of the game, how some of the great ideias they have turn out to be not fun when done, and how hard it is to keep plot and gameplay go hand to hand. Gonna listen to part 2 later!

luckyto
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Good synopsiis....

the only thing worth noting is that Black Flag includes the Templar's Creed, or a version of the Creed as it applies to the Templars in regards to Governor Torres's "oath" in the beginning sequences. That's really new stuff to the AC Universe.

SixKeys
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Good synopsiis....

the only thing worth noting is that Black Flag includes the Templar's Creed, or a version of the Creed as it applies to the Templars in regards to Governor Torres's "oath" in the beginning sequences. That's really new stuff to the AC Universe.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but didn't Haytham in AC3 say "we require no creed"? I thought that was kinda the whole point he was making about the Templars being more practical than the assassins who are more focused on ceremonies and traditions.

AdamPearce
02-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but didn't Haytham in AC3 say "we require no creed"? I thought that was kinda the whole point he was making about the Templars being more practical than the assassins who are more focused on ceremonies and traditions.

Darby refers to it as the Templar's Goals actually.

And yes it is interesting, the only major problem is the way it was presented, in a courtyard, lasted for 3 secs and then gogogo Observatory...I'd hope it would've been more like the ending of Sequence 3 when Charles Lee is declared as a Templar, with the drama music and the darkness, u know Templar thing.

lothario-da-be
02-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Darby refers to it as the Templar's Goals actually.

And yes it is interesting, the only major problem is the way it was presented, in a courtyard, lasted for 3 secs and then gogogo Observatory...I'd hope it would've been more like the ending of Sequence 3 when Charles Lee is declared as a Templar, with the drama music and the darkness, u know Templar thing.
lol at our last sentance.

aL_____eX
02-01-2014, 11:18 PM
I still can't make sense of some things, Darby mentions. So we will not have one certain character in future games (I, personally hate what he means with "every game has to be self containing" but unfortunately I can understand why Ubi is going this way -> new players -> $$$$$). Also that he says, they will keep up the way the modern day story, or basically the Assassins vs. templars ongoing conflict, was parted with Initiates left a "Hmm... :(" feeling. Interacting with assassins like Gavin Banks would be very cool.

What I really like is that he says, there is definitely a goal they focus on in the near future (I guess it's the Juno arc) and the Blood Vials are definitely of importance. I still have hopes, although modern day will never be what I hoped it would.

SixKeys
02-02-2014, 05:15 AM
I'm listening right now and there's a lot of interesting stuff for sure. I really like Darby's insight in these kinds of interviews, I think he works hard to find a good balance between what fans want/expect and what he - and the rest of the team - thinks is good for the series in the long run.

One thing I want to comment on is something they talk about around the 30 minute mark in the 2nd video: the fact that the series is now apparently forever ongoing and the assassins and Templars can never defeat each other because it's a battle that's been going on throughout the ages. Darby says that some fans hope to see the assassins prevail someday and defeat the Templars and that showing that resolution wouldn't be realistic because it's about clashing ideologies. I don't think that's really what most fans are asking for though. Back when AC was still a trilogy, the story was clearly headed towards Desmond becoming the ultimate assassin who would stop Abstergo's satellite launch and in doing so, the assassins would gain a temporary victory that would have felt like a satisfying conclusion to a years-long buildup. Even if they had gone with that original plan, it wouldn't have necessarily meant the end of the assassin-Templar conflict. Darby compares the series to Doctor Who, but even the Doctor has temporary victories in every episode. He always defeats his enemies but at the end of the day, the Daleks will always find a way to come back. Viewers know this. It's part of the fun. We know we haven't seen the last of them, but we can still celebrate the temporary victory that the whole episode (or season arc) has been building up to.

What I'm sensing right now is this: in AC1-ACR, the two factions were pretty much on equal footing and always had been. Like a neverending tug-of-war. Since AC3 we've been given the impression that the Templars pretty much run society at this point. Abstergo started out as a shady business that nobody really knew what exactly they did (in AC1). In ACR we're told they deal in pharmacy, entertainment, surveillance, the government, pretty much anything you can think of. In AC4 the modern day assassins have gone underground, most of their networks have been destroyed in Templar raids, and the person we follow throughout the game is just some schmuck (aka ourselves :P ) being this little fly in Abstergo's web. When AC3 ended, there was no sense of victory for the player. Desmond dies, the end. When AC4 ends, there's no sense of victory. We're released from Abstergo's prison cell and now we're free once more to roam around their offices hacking computers and other mundane crap. Hurray?

Giving players an exciting story arc to follow doesn't necessarily have to mean you have to solve the Templars/assassins plot forever and stop making games. You can still give players a sense of true satisfaction, like you're an important part of some big conspiracy and helped make a difference by the end of the game. They will keep buying your games as long as you dangle an enticing carrot in front of their noses, like a hint about the next exotic location or an "it isn't over yet" cliffhanger. Right now the devs seem to be going for the angle that the Templars are winning and that's how it must be to keep the tension going. That players shouldn't get the feeling the assassins have "won" after completing the game because then they won't want to get the next part. But it doesn't have to be that way. There should be enough room for both the neverending tension between the two factions and temporary victories for the player to celebrate.

killzab
02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm listening right now and there's a lot of interesting stuff for sure. I really like Darby's insight in these kinds of interviews, I think he works hard to find a good balance between what fans want/expect and what he - and the rest of the team - thinks is good for the series in the long run.

One thing I want to comment on is something they talk about around the 30 minute mark in the 2nd video: the fact that the series is now apparently forever ongoing and the assassins and Templars can never defeat each other because it's a battle that's been going on throughout the ages. Darby says that some fans hope to see the assassins prevail someday and defeat the Templars and that showing that resolution wouldn't be realistic because it's about clashing ideologies. I don't think that's really what most fans are asking for though. Back when AC was still a trilogy, the story was clearly headed towards Desmond becoming the ultimate assassin who would stop Abstergo's satellite launch and in doing so, the assassins would gain a temporary victory that would have felt like a satisfying conclusion to a years-long buildup. Even if they had gone with that original plan, it wouldn't have necessarily meant the end of the assassin-Templar conflict. Darby compares the series to Doctor Who, but even the Doctor has temporary victories in every episode. He always defeats his enemies but at the end of the day, the Daleks will always find a way to come back. Viewers know this. It's part of the fun. We know we haven't seen the last of them, but we can still celebrate the temporary victory that the whole episode (or season arc) has been building up to.

What I'm sensing right now is this: in AC1-ACR, the two factions were pretty much on equal footing and always had been. Like a neverending tug-of-war. Since AC3 we've been given the impression that the Templars pretty much run society at this point. Abstergo started out as a shady business that nobody really knew what exactly they did (in AC1). In ACR we're told they deal in pharmacy, entertainment, surveillance, the government, pretty much anything you can think of. In AC4 the modern day assassins have gone underground, most of their networks have been destroyed in Templar raids, and the person we follow throughout the game is just some schmuck (aka ourselves :P ) being this little fly in Abstergo's web. When AC3 ended, there was no sense of victory for the player. Desmond dies, the end. When AC4 ends, there's no sense of victory. We're released from Abstergo's prison cell and now we're free once more to roam around their offices hacking computers and other mundane crap. Hurray?

Giving players an exciting story arc to follow doesn't necessarily have to mean you have to solve the Templars/assassins plot forever and stop making games. You can still give players a sense of true satisfaction, like you're an important part of some big conspiracy and helped make a difference by the end of the game. They will keep buying your games as long as you dangle an enticing carrot in front of their noses, like a hint about the next exotic location or an "it isn't over yet" cliffhanger. Right now the devs seem to be going for the angle that the Templars are winning and that's how it must be to keep the tension going. That players shouldn't get the feeling the assassins have "won" after completing the game because then they won't want to get the next part. But it doesn't have to be that way. There should be enough room for both the neverending tension between the two factions and temporary victories for the player to celebrate.

I don't really see the point of the series continuing now ... As a fan, I hope AC dies soon now ... there's nothing great to expect from it anymore. We'll never get closure, or a proper "ending".

Small "self-contained" stories aren't enough for me.

frodrigues55
02-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Yup, Darby do mention that. He says Templars are moved by the ends, not by the means. So they have no "Templar's Creed", but "Templar's Goals". Tha'ts why it's so hard to do a game about templars, you can't have Assassin's Creed with no Assassins and no Creed. It was quite a good listen, actually!

dxsxhxcx
02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
You can still give players a sense of true satisfaction, like you're an important part of some big conspiracy and helped make a difference by the end of the game.

kinda hard to achieve that when the character you control have little to no input in the story (making the character disposable and as consequence the events he "took part in"), now you just do as you are told and watch the events as they unfold, different from Desmond who was an important part of the events of the previous games making his actions a lot more relevant.

Darby also explained why now we are controlling "ourselves" instead of a unique 3rd person character like Desmond, the reason given was because now the modern day events are happening in real time, but I don't see the why this couldn't work with a unique protagonist like Desmond, IMO a unique character instead of the bland and lifeless "flying tablet" (funny how many people thought Desmond was exactly that and now seems to be fine with the character they got, that IMO is much worse) would give much more meaning to these "self contained" stories they want to create and the story as a whole than their current approach.

to be frank, I don't mind the different angle we were put in AC4 (even thinking this approach should've been done only after all the plots were solved, as a way to make the AC universe as a whole richer), taking a backseat and watching the events as they unfold instead of be an important part of them like Desmond, but at some point (and I expect sooner than later) we NEED to become again a proper protagonist like Desmond was because I don't see the current style as it is giving us a satisfying closure to the plots they create (simply because we aren't really PART of them, we just happen to be there, we are like a janitor who's doing his job and discovers his boss is stealing money from the company because he overheard a conversation between him and another person and instead of do something about it, he decides he doesn't want to get involved and continues to do his job)...

OFF-TOPIC (in case the Devs read this): In the next games (assuming the 1st person perspective will stay), PLEASE at least give our character hands and legs, thank you! :)

and before you think is impossible because you want the player to feel like the character you control is himself/herself (what could be a problem if you were a man and the character model had feminine hands and vice versa), the solution is simple, create two models and ask the player his/her gender before the game begins! ;)

SixKeys
02-02-2014, 02:33 PM
kinda hard to achieve that when the character you control have little to no input in the story (making the character disposable and as consequence the events he "took part in"), now you just do as you are told and watch the events as they unfold, different from Desmond who was an important part of the events of the previous games making his actions a lot more relevant.

Exactly. Which is why I'm thinking it would be better to have modern day arcs instead of self-contained stories even if they continue with the first-person angle. While I liked the concept of being "me" in AC4, it really took me out of the experience how absurd the ending was. If I was imprisoned by the company I work for and then they released me, I would be absolutely outraged and quit my job immediately. In the game, Melanie just says "oops, we're really, really sorry - hey, by the way, do you wanna check out this new trailer we made?". NO, I DON'T WANT TO WATCH YOUR STUPID TRAILER, YOU JUST IMPRISONED ME FFS!! But you can't interact with her in any way, and after the trailer you're just made to roam the offices again like nothing bad ever happened. It was very frustrating.

The Abstergo story needed a better conclusion after the death of John from IT. We should have been saved by the assassins and maybe Shaun or Rebecca could have said something like "that was really close, your life was in real danger, but don't worry, we're taking you to a safe place". Then the next game could have starred "us" in an entirely different place, as a newly trained assassin recruit maybe or as part of a witness protection program, hiding from Abstergo etc. They could have had "us" be part of an ongoing arc in the modern day.

OFF-TOPIC (in case the Devs read this): In the next games (assuming the 1st person perspective will stay), PLEASE at least give our character hands and legs, thank you! :)

No. The "flying tablet" was one of the things they got almost perfect in AC4. If they gave us hands, the character's skin color would almost certainly be white, shattering the illusion of the player being "you" for all POC. And they would almost certainly make those hands look male, excluding all females. They were SO close to perfect neutrality in AC4 and then came the scene where we are stabbed and the character lets out an unmistakably male grunt.

Asking for the player's gender before the game begins would mess with the illusion of the Animus and possibly create awkward situations in the game, like in old games where characters would sometimes flat-out ask you "now, are you a boy or a girl?". It's much better to have the perspective completely neutral, with no hints about your gender or ethnicity.

ze_topazio
02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
^ You are being discriminatory towards females with deep voices, think of their feelings, and what about transsexuals? think of their feelings too you insensible evil sexist racist communist nazi.

frodrigues55
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I, for one, don't like the ideia of being "me". Why is that even necessary? It's not like playing as another person would ruin the immersion.

Besides, the whole "neutral" thing made for a bunch of akward situations. It's like we are mute, everyone is talking to us, telling us to do stuff and we don't even reply or question why.

dxsxhxcx
02-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Exactly. Which is why I'm thinking it would be better to have modern day arcs instead of self-contained stories even if they continue with the first-person angle. While I liked the concept of being "me" in AC4, it really took me out of the experience how absurd the ending was. If I was imprisoned by the company I work for and then they released me, I would be absolutely outraged and quit my job immediately. In the game, Melanie just says "oops, we're really, really sorry - hey, by the way, do you wanna check out this new trailer we made?". NO, I DON'T WANT TO WATCH YOUR STUPID TRAILER, YOU JUST IMPRISONED ME FFS!! But you can't interact with her in any way, and after the trailer you're just made to roam the offices again like nothing bad ever happened. It was very frustrating.

The Abstergo story needed a better conclusion after the death of John from IT. We should have been saved by the assassins and maybe Shaun or Rebecca could have said something like "that was really close, your life was in real danger, but don't worry, we're taking you to a safe place". Then the next game could have starred "us" in an entirely different place, as a newly trained assassin recruit maybe or as part of a witness protection program, hiding from Abstergo etc. They could have had "us" be part of an ongoing arc in the modern day.

I agree with you, for me the whole experience was a pain because I wasn't able to put myself in the shoes of the character we were controlling, this is impossible for me because they'll never be able to adapt to the choices I (the real person, Davi, my real name) would make to the situations presented, that's why I don't like when games try to put myself as the protagonist, even in games where I can fully customize a character I don't use my real name or pretend I'm the protagonist because I know I'm not that character...

No. The "flying tablet" was one of the things they got almost perfect in AC4. If they gave us hands, the character's skin color would almost certainly be white, shattering the illusion of the player being "you" for all POC. And they would almost certainly make those hands look male, excluding all females. They were SO close to perfect neutrality in AC4 and then came the scene where we are stabbed and the character lets out an unmistakably male grunt.

Asking for the player's gender before the game begins would mess with the illusion of the Animus and possibly create awkward situations in the game, like in old games where characters would sometimes flat-out ask you "now, are you a boy or a girl?". It's much better to have the perspective completely neutral, with no hints about your gender or ethnicity.

we just need more customization options then, and I disagree about the illusion of the animus being messed up by those kind of options, they wouldn't even be part of the story, they just are there in order to make the character we'll control look a bit more like ourselves since this is the experience they want to provide, I don't know if on the console version of the game you have the option to customize the controls, on the PC version we have and when I do it, this doesn't make the experience I'm having with the game and its story less realistic or immersive, the scenario presented above would be the same thing, wouldn't you like to know that the character that is supposed to be you is of the same gender and ethnicity you are instead of pretend he/she is? The options I'm suggesting would allow that and also make the experience more realistic by making buttons actually be pressed by "us" instead of make it look like a poltergeist event and look down and see no legs less stupid...

RinoTheBouncer
02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
For the first time, ever and from a person who have always loved the idea of annual releases and a never-ending franchise, I really wish AC ended with ACIII.

I think what Darby said is true that the Assassins/Templars conflict is never ending and by ACIII, we were looking on both factions from a distance and the game wasn’t controlling you to believe that the Assassins are the good guys or the Templars are the bad guys. With characters like Haytham’s way of thinking, you’d start to believe that the Templars actually do have a point, unlike a Cesare type of villain whose just plain bad and ruthless.

Now that they’re confirming that the conflict is never ending then I believe there’s just no point in telling more stories. They should either face a tragic ending of both or a typical happy ending of alliance between both the Templars and the Assassin to end a common enemy and then just stop right there. Today we’re in the Caribbean, yesterday we were in America during the revolution, before and before we were in Istanbul, Renaissance and Crusade eras, next? Egypt? China? Japan? India? it’s not gonna end. We’ll just keep seeing the same broken record over and over from different cultural perspectives with the same outcome and declining quality. Nothing new is being brought to the table.

Modern Day is a reductive version of it’s former self, gameplay is good but fighting is getting ridiculous, locations are getting similar and after ACIII managed to turn villains into more interesting characters rather than just pure bad guys, ACIII sought to take a huge step backwards and bring you the most forgettable villains you can imagine not to mention how the Assassins and the Creed took the backseat and the game ended just when things started to get interesting while 70% was spent on irrelevant matters like finding medicines doing errands for both factions without any story value.

I’m not here to bash ACIV. I did enjoy it but if you think the games are gonna get better. Well, based on the current direction and flow, you’re wrong. I wish we get one epic finale where major stuff happen, a huge plot twist kicks in or something PERFECTLY directed and made to shake our feelings and then the franchise ends and it will be a beautiful and honorable way to die rather than just drag on and on and on until the game is nowhere near the worldwide hit it used to be. Make a game 50/50 historical and present day and MAKE IN A WAY THAT IT SERVES THE STORY, THE WHOLE GENERAL ARC, not what newbie fans who don’t give a **** about they story want.

SixKeys
02-02-2014, 04:22 PM
For the first time, ever and from a person who have always loved the idea of annual releases and a never-ending franchise, I really wish AC ended with ACIII.

I think what Darby said is true that the Assassins/Templars conflict is never ending and by ACIII, we were looking on both factions from a distance and the game wasn’t controlling you to believe that the Assassins are the good guys or the Templars are the bad guys. With characters like Haytham’s way of thinking, you’d start to believe that the Templars actually do have a point, unlike a Cesare type of villain whose just plain bad and ruthless.

Now that they’re confirming that the conflict is never ending then I believe there’s just no point in telling more stories. They should either face a tragic ending of both or a typical happy ending of alliance between both the Templars and the Assassin to end a common enemy and then just stop right there. Today we’re in the Caribbean, yesterday we were in America during the revolution, before and before we were in Istanbul, Renaissance and Crusade eras, next? Egypt? China? Japan? India? it’s not gonna end. We’ll just keep seeing the same broken record over and over from different cultural perspectives with the same outcome and declining quality. Nothing new is being brought to the table.

Modern Day is a reductive version of it’s former self, gameplay is good but fighting is getting ridiculous, locations are getting similar and after ACIII managed to turn villains into more interesting characters rather than just pure bad guys, ACIII sought to take a huge step backwards and bring you the most forgettable villains you can imagine not to mention how the Assassins and the Creed took the backseat and the game ended just when things started to get interesting while 70% was spent on irrelevant matters like finding medicines doing errands for both factions without any story value.

Pretty much. I'm already resigned to the idea that AC4 may have been the series' last hurrah, and TBH, I'm okay with that. It brought back a lot of things that had been missing from the last couple of entries and was a fun "best of AC" collection, but it didn't bring anything radically new to the table. I don't think the next game will either. They just seem to be changing settings without making major overhauls to the core concepts and if that's the case, I just can't get that excited about whatever they have in store next. I don't really care that they're catering for newbies now, it's inevitable when any series gets this big. I'll just cherish the memories I have and hope they don't completely drive the series into the ground with overexposure.

killzab
02-02-2014, 04:26 PM

I’m not here to bash ACIV. I did enjoy it but if you think the games are gonna get better. Well, based on the current direction and flow, you’re wrong. I wish we get one epic finale where major stuff happen, a huge plot twist kicks in or something PERFECTLY directed and made to shake our feelings and then the franchise ends and it will be a beautiful and honorable way to die rather than just drag on and on and on until the game is nowhere near the worldwide hit it used to be. Make a game 50/50 historical and present day and MAKE IN A WAY THAT IT SERVES THE STORY, THE WHOLE GENERAL ARC, not what newbie fans who don’t give a **** about they story want.

EXACTLY how I feel, I'd rather have the franchise end with a bang than it going on until people are absolutely sick of it. What they're doing is disrespectful.

RinoTheBouncer
02-02-2014, 04:55 PM
EXACTLY how I feel, I'd rather have the franchise end with a bang than it going on until people are absolutely sick of it. What they're doing is disrespectful.

Perfectly said, my friend. I mean I can’t say I did not enjoy ACIV but compared to the wonderful Ezio Trilogy or the sense of excitement even when gameplay was repetitive in AC1 or the beautiful directing of AC:R, things were WAY much better and whats happening now is an insult to the graceful past. I’d hate to see AC being given less and less budget due to declining sales.

Shahkulu101
02-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Rino,

I agree with a lot of your points, but you're wrong about the Creed taking a backseat in ACIV. Darby even explains in the podcast how he built the story around the philosophy of the creed - it was just seen from a different perspective, which gave an interesting outlook. I'd rather that than the Brotherhood approach, where the Assassin's are a large presence but the philosophy is hardly discussed at all, and the main Assassin's function as more of a vigilante street gang than an order.

Also, AC4's Templar's are not black and white villains. Forgettable? Yes (unfortunately), but their motives could be justified - certainly more so than Edward's.

Fatal-Feit
02-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm possibly in the minority here but am I the only one who could care less about the conclusion of the series? I mean what about the main adventure? The game-play? The interesting lore? The many worlds, eras, the virtual TOURING! AC:IV does a great job of demonstrating a sequel that doesn't have to be critical, but yet can still pull off the proper AC title and still give fans an innovating new setting, story, and gameplay.

If they concluded the series, what will be left? A yippidy-doo-dah ending for hardcore fans? So @$$#ing what?! We all know damn well how unique the franchise is. How well the developers push themselves to demonstrate beautiful accurate settings, gameplay and story. There are still so much potential for the series! So many unique stories and ancestors to enjoy. So many places still needed to explore. So many questions that needs answering. The list of opportunities stretches on forever with AC. I know I'm iterating but I just can't see the franchise ending this early.

You all know you still want to seamlessly climb to the tallest architecture in China/Egypt/ETC/ETC and gaze around like the badass Assassin we always are. :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm possibly in the minority here but am I the only one who could care less about the conclusion of the series? I mean what about the main adventure? The game-play? The interesting lore? The many worlds, eras, the virtual TOURING! AC:IV does a great job of demonstrating a sequel that doesn't have to be critical, but yet can still pull off the proper AC title and still give fans an innovating new setting, story, and gameplay.

If they concluded the series, what will be left? A yippidy-doo-dah ending for hardcore fans? So @$$#ing what?! We all know damn well how unique the franchise is. How well the developers push themselves to demonstrate beautiful accurate settings, gameplay and story. There are still so much potential for the series! So many unique stories and ancestors to enjoy. So many places still needed to explore. So many questions that needs answering. The list of opportunities stretches on forever with AC. I know I'm iterating but I just can't see the franchise ending this early.

You all know you still want to seamlessly climb to the tallest architecture in China/Egypt/ETC/ETC and gaze around like the badass Assassin we always are. :rolleyes:

I slightly agree with you on some points you've mentioned.

LatinaC09
02-02-2014, 09:02 PM

I completely agree with you here. I think the series has definitely been getting stronger. Yes, Ezio's trilogy was great but really people...time to let it go. AC2 is my favorite games of all time but that doesn't mean that the rest of the series' quality is declining. Honestly I thought that they spent too much time on Ezio and should have skipped the two spinoffs because as much as I love the renaissance era, there is so much more for the series to explore! I love history and culture and AC is one of the few games out there where I can actually experience these things. Why should it end? There's so much potential here! They could even go as far as exploring the future if they really wanted. The series has way too much potential to end now. Will people get tired of it? Who knows. For me the AC universe is kind of like the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings universe. It doesn't need an ending.

dxsxhxcx
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM

they can give a conclusion to the hardcore fans and still continue to milk this franchise all they can after that, with the current modern day style a plot isn't needed to justify a game because like Darby said, it was made that way for them to look like self contained stories, so there isn't the necessity to have a link between the games other than the obvious one (the Assassins vs Templars war that doesn't need to end just because they dealt with Juno, hell, even this isn't necessary to justify the modern day sequences as long as it still is present in the past), the least they could do for their long term fanbase is conclude what they started with AC1, Juno is a loose end from Desmond's arc..

lothario-da-be
02-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Later we will tell our grandchildren about the downfall of the ac series. We will realise we should never have been so big fans because it wasn't worth all the dissapointment. We will not be able to live happy anymore and we will all lose faith in humanity.

Fatal-Feit
02-02-2014, 10:19 PM
they can give a conclusion to the hardcore fans and still continue to milk this franchise all they can after that, with the current modern day style a plot isn't needed to justify a game because like Darby said, it was made that way for them to look like self contained stories, so there isn't the necessity to have a link between the games other than the obvious one (the Assassins vs Templars war that doesn't need to end just because they dealt with Juno), the least they could do for their long term fanbase is conclude what they started with AC1, Juno is a loose end from Desmond's arc..

Yeah, but isn't that the point? Juno is an awful antagonist that doesn't need much recognition from hardcore fans. Her sole purpose is to keep the future sequels cohesive and with a plot, nothing too intuitive. The hardcore fans should be settled with AC:3 as a conclusion. The others need Juno as the incentive in modern day to keep playing.

poptartz20
02-03-2014, 03:02 AM
I completely agree with you here. I think the series has definitely been getting stronger. Yes, Ezio's trilogy was great but really people...time to let it go. AC2 is my favorite games of all time but that doesn't mean that the rest of the series' quality is declining. Honestly I thought that they spent too much time on Ezio and should have skipped the two spinoffs because as much as I love the renaissance era, there is so much more for the series to explore! I love history and culture and AC is one of the few games out there where I can actually experience these things. Why should it end? There's so much potential here! They could even go as far as exploring the future if they really wanted. The series has way too much potential to end now. Will people get tired of it? Who knows. For me the AC universe is kind of like the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings universe. It doesn't need an ending.

omg.. yes. thank you. Finally an AC2 fan that is saying LET IT GO! You need an award! Also I agree with you on these points as well!

Sabuto78
02-03-2014, 03:46 AM

Agreed. except on the spinoffs part. They could have skipped Revelations tho.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2014, 05:07 AM

Yes, exactly! Thanks, bud. This series possess so many places and things that you can't explore or do in any other games! It would suck to see this series end. And not to mention that IT DOESN'T NEED ONE.

RinoTheBouncer
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Rino,

I agree with a lot of your points, but you're wrong about the Creed taking a backseat in ACIV. Darby even explains in the podcast how he built the story around the philosophy of the creed - it was just seen from a different perspective, which gave an interesting outlook. I'd rather that than the Brotherhood approach, where the Assassin's are a large presence but the philosophy is hardly discussed at all, and the main Assassin's function as more of a vigilante street gang than an order.

Also, AC4's Templar's are not black and white villains. Forgettable? Yes (unfortunately), but their motives could be justified - certainly more so than Edward's.

I agree about the philosophy thing but from my chats with Darby on acinitiates.com, he acted pretty defensively towards any type of critical approach to the story. Iím not saying thatís a bad thing but Iím saying that the developer or the writer of the story can see things through his vast imagination while weíll only see the edited and trimmed version that we received. We canít see whatís in his mind, only whatís put down on paper and translated into the game.

I felt like I wanted another 3 sequences to add to the story. I donít want a pure creed and assassinations game. The philosophy is a great idea but having Edward just wander around between two shores of Assassins and Templars kinda consumed the whole game. I wished we got more about them. I LOVED Edward, heís my 2nd favorite after Ezio and I wish we get another game starring Edward because his story or lets say what they pictured the story to be, to us is beautiful and sadly could not be accomplished in one game.

frodrigues55
02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I agree about the philosophy thing but from my chats with Darby on acinitiates.com, he acted pretty defensively towards any type of critical approach to the story. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but I’m saying that the developer or the writer of the story can see things through his vast imagination while we’ll only see the edited and trimmed version that we received. We can’t see what’s in his mind, only what’s put down on paper and translated into the game.

I felt like I wanted another 3 sequences to add to the story. I don’t want a pure creed and assassinations game. The philosophy is a great idea but having Edward just wander around between two shores of Assassins and Templars kinda consumed the whole game. I wished we got more about them. I LOVED Edward, he’s my 2nd favorite after Ezio and I wish we get another game starring Edward because his story or lets say what they pictured the story to be, to us is beautiful and sadly could not be accomplished in one game.

Oh, this too much.

Reading Darby's Q&A on Initiates made me realize he had some great ideias, but not was well translated into the game, which was a shame. I don't know if it was because of him or because of that damn schedule, but everytime someone sugested even the slightest improvement or expressed how they couldn't connect to the plot, Darby acted really defensive.

That really bugged me, because he was denying to see how we were presented to the story, giving answers based solely on how he envisioned it. His mind should be more open to the experience and improve upon that, instead of quickly ending the subject saying that "some people liked it, I'm sorry you didn't.".

EscoBlades
02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
This made for great listening over the weekend, excellent podcast Loomer and Darby :D

Shahkulu101
02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Oh, this too much.

Reading Darby's Q&A on Initiates made me realize he had some great ideias, but not was well translated into the game, which was a shame. I don't know if it was because of him or because of that damn schedule, but everytime someone sugested even the slightest improvement or expressed how they couldn't connect to the plot, Darby acted really defensive.

That really bugged me, because he was denying to see how we were presented to the story, giving answers based solely on how he envisioned it. His mind should be more open to the experience and improve upon that, instead of quickly ending the subject saying that "some people liked it, I'm sorry you didn't.".

Darby's constantly saying the fans have great ideas. How else do you expect him to respond? He defends it because that gives an answer as to why he did it that way. He's open to criticism, you can tell that from the podcast, but this community can get rather self-righteous and entitled, not to mention the sheer conservativeness of most fans despite the primary message in the games promoting freedom and open-mindedness - people want the same things repeatedly, whining about the fact the games don't fit their vision entirely. All that said, I definitely do not, for one second, blame Darby for his attitude. I imagine the short, snapp and somewhat 'sassy' responses derive from sheer tedium at the fans own attitudes.

I cringe more often than not when I scour the forums now and it's grinding at me more and more.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
To be fair, the forum here are ridiculously more open-minded than 99% of the forums that involves Japan, Anime, and MMORPGs. That means we're doing something right. ...No? Fans can be cynical at times, but that just means the fans are very passionate and desire to see these games become better. Although we can be very pretentious, obnoxious, and somewhat daunting at times...

I'm not disagreeing with you.

Shahkulu101
02-03-2014, 08:33 PM
To be fair, the forum here are ridiculously more open-minded than 99% of the forums that involves Japan, Anime, and MMORPGs. That means we're doing something right. ...No? Fans can be cynical at times, but that just means the fans are very passionate and desire to see these games become better. Although we can be very pretentious, obnoxious, and somewhat daunting at times...

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm not really familiar with any other fan communities, so I can only judge from this one - I'm starting to not like it anymore. I suppose I should count myself lucky, shivers tremble down my spine when I try to fathom how bad the fan reaction to ACR must have been.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm not really familiar with any other fan communities, so I can only judge from this one - I'm starting to not like it anymore. I suppose I should count myself lucky, shivers tremble down my spine when I try to fathom how bad the fan reaction to ACR must have been.

It's hard to believe it was any worse than AC:3's. I'm fairly certain I've saved a bit of sanity jumping into the forums a year after AC:3's release.

luckyto
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't really see the point of the series continuing now ... As a fan, I hope AC dies soon now ... there's nothing great to expect from it anymore. We'll never get closure, or a proper "ending".

Small "self-contained" stories aren't enough for me.

If they are good stories, I'm happy. In fact, I really liked that Black Flag had a nice solid close. It felt good. A much needed change.

luckyto
02-03-2014, 09:14 PM

You just have to take it all with a grain of salt. This place is nothing compared the TheForce.net back in the Prequel days. Talk about fan and flame wars.. that place was cess pool of angry (rightfully) upset funs. Either way, I've been coming here since Brotherhood --- I just try to pace out my exposure. It's got some really good viewpoints, and you just have to temper - internally - the bad ones. If you approach this place with the right mindset, it can still be a positive experience for you.

ze_topazio
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I came here for the first time when the first rumours about Revelations start appearing on the internet, I came in search of more rumours but found none, later I joined for real, which is strange, because on my profile it says I only join in September 2012 but I do seem to remember joining earlier, maybe I didn't and I'm starting to lose my mental faculties.

Anyway I don't remember any major wars when Revelations came out, but I do remember the 10000 threads per minute complaining about AC3, good days...

frodrigues55
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Darby's constantly saying the fans have great ideas. How else do you expect him to respond? He defends it because that gives an answer as to why he did it that way. He's open to criticism, you can tell that from the podcast, but this community can get rather self-righteous and entitled, not to mention the sheer conservativeness of most fans despite the primary message in the games promoting freedom and open-mindedness - people want the same things repeatedly, whining about the fact the games don't fit their vision entirely. All that said, I definitely do not, for one second, blame Darby for his attitude. I imagine the short, snapp and somewhat 'sassy' responses derive from sheer tedium at the fans own attitudes.

I cringe more often than not when I scour the forums now and it's grinding at me more and more.

I don't know how fans behave or behaved. All I know is that he opened himself up to a Q&A, and as soon as someone made some valid and well thought out criticism (in my opinion), he got very defensive. The Q&A was great, he is very talented and I don't know if he is fed up with some fan's attitude. All I know is his answers gave me the impression he doesn't want to know how we feel about the plot. It was something among the lines of "my story is great, sorry you couldn't appreciate it".

That's a wrong approach from one of the series's leading writters IMO. And as Rino mentioned, his story had to be backup up by his ideias, which shows it is somehow flawed. A great story tells itself without the need of explanation, and in my opinion, this didn't translate well into the game. It probably isn't even his fault. But the impression left was that, if it was his fault, those concerns will not be adressed.

loomer979
02-04-2014, 01:16 AM
I don't know how fans behave or behaved. All I know is that he opened himself up to a Q&A, and as soon as someone made some valid and well thought out criticism (in my opinion), he got very defensive. The Q&A was great, he is very talented and I don't know if he is fed up with some fan's attitude. All I know is his answers gave me the impression he doesn't want to know how we feel about the plot. It was something among the lines of "my story is great, sorry you couldn't appreciate it".

That's a wrong approach from one of the series's leading writters IMO. And as Rino mentioned, his story had to be backup up by his ideias, which shows it is somehow flawed. A great story tells itself without the need of explanation, and in my opinion, this didn't translate well into the game. It probably isn't even his fault. But the impression left was that, if it was his fault, those concerns will not be adressed.

I'm really sad that you got that impression from Darby's Initiates Q&A. I've talked to lots of people at Ubisoft over the last few years and I don't think I've met anyone who cares as much about what the fans think of the AC games as Darby does. And that includes criticism for both the games he's written and the ones that he hasn't.

As a writer, Darby has to walk the line between giving the fans what they're asking for and also making sure he delivers on his own vision of the story. Not everybody is going to "get" what a writer is going for, and at some point you have to accept that you're not going to please everyone. This means taking the criticism and dividing it into two categories: the things that could be changed without compromising what the creators are trying to accomplish, and those that can't. Of course there are a million other things in game development that can affect the story and how it's told besides the writer as well (as you alluded to above). But I absolutely know Darby wouldn't dismiss criticism out of hand (even if it might have seemed that way in the Q&A)... I know he tries really hard to make sure the fans are happy while at the same time trying to tell the story that he wants to in the way he wants to.

(note that the above is just my own opinion from my own point of view... in no way am I trying to speak for Darby on this subject)

I'm not saying the impression you got from the Q&A is invalid, I'm just hoping you'll reconsider your interpretation of it.

poptartz20
02-04-2014, 01:49 AM
It's hard to believe it was any worse than AC:3's. I'm fairly certain I've saved a bit of sanity jumping into the forums a year after AC:3's release.

I came in 2 mos after AC3 released. . . gahh. it was terrible. I was honestly excited because I really enjoyed the game just to see my opinions crushed. I must say the forums were really active back then as well.

also I must say I find myself agreeing with you you Shahkulu I don't know what's wrong with some of the people on here. but that self entitled thing is quite annoying.

LatinaC09
02-04-2014, 03:59 AM
I just really don't get all the hate for AC3 anymore....yes, yes I know, it had it's issues but at this point I feel like people just hate the game because other "hardcore" AC fans hate the game. Maybe it's just me but I thought is was a good game and it really moved the series along well especially with the new game engine. I'm just tired of people slamming it to death but whatever, to each their own.

Anywho, about Darby. I think he's a fantastic writer with an open mind about the series. He seemed to accept most fan critiques and I thought that he addressed concerns about the series as best as he could. He seems like a very sincere writer who's determined to bring out the best in this series and I really respect that. Of course there will be bumps down the road but he seems confident enough to take them on. I have great expectations for this series even with it being annualized. These writers/developers seem very passionate and you can tell that they love what they do.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-04-2014, 04:08 AM
I just really don't get all the hate for AC3 anymore....yes, yes I know, it had it's issues but at this point I feel like people just hate the game because other "hardcore" AC fans hate the game. Maybe it's just me but I thought is was a good game and it really moved the series along well especially with the new game engine. I'm just tired of people slamming it to death but whatever, to each their own.

Exactly my point! Most people hate the game [story] because of its glitches and because other people hate it, and I hate that! lol

Fatal-Feit
02-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Anywho, about Darby. I think he's a fantastic writer with an open mind about the series. He seemed to accept most fan critiques and I thought that he addressed concerns about the series as best as he could. He seems like a very sincere writer who's determined to bring out the best in this series and I really respect that. Of course there will be bumps down the road but he seems confident enough to take them on. I have great expectations for this series even with it being annualized. These writers/developers seem very passionate and you can tell that they love what they do.

I believe one of the hardest part of his job is knowing the partial future of AC's story, and what's to come of it. As a writer who has little control over that, he's to fill in the gaps the best he can without disrupting the main plot and at the same time, taking the heat from fans and critics who questions it. It's rough making excuses for something he doesn't have control over.

SixKeys
02-04-2014, 01:32 PM
I believe one of the hardest part of his job is knowing the partial future of AC's story, and what's to come of it. As a writer who has little control over that, he's to fill in the gaps the best he can without disrupting the main plot and at the same time, taking the heat from fans and critics who questions it. It's rough making excuses for something he doesn't have control over.

Exactly. I think Darby gets too much crap for stuff he doesn't have control over. People say he's the one who ruined modern day by making it first-person in AC4, but without him, we probably wouldn't have gotten a modern day at all after AC3. Most casual players and reviewers hate the modern day and Ubi is obviously trying to please them by making it less relevant. Darby at least put a lot of cool stuff in for old fans to dig through, like Desmond's diaries, the audio drama with young Vidic and affectionate jabs at the fandom (hints about "future locations", Roger Craig Smith being a marketing exec who mispronounces all the major protagonists' names, etc.). In the podcast Darby said he was the one who felt it was really important for the modern day to have a clear beginning, middle and end (with the John from IT plot), meaning most of the other devs probably didn't even want to put that much effort into it after AC3. He also wanted closure for the fans who were sad about Desmond being gone. Without Darby, the modern day in AC4 would likely have been much more empty.

jayjay275
02-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I like the modern day, just not when it shoves you out the animus. :|

LoyalACFan
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Exactly. I think Darby gets too much crap for stuff he doesn't have control over. People say he's the one who ruined modern day by making it first-person in AC4, but without him, we probably wouldn't have gotten a modern day at all after AC3. Most casual players and reviewers hate the modern day and Ubi is obviously trying to please them by making it less relevant. Darby at least put a lot of cool stuff in for old fans to dig through, like Desmond's diaries, the audio drama with young Vidic and affectionate jabs at the fandom (hints about "future locations", Roger Craig Smith being a marketing exec who mispronounces all the major protagonists' names, etc.). In the podcast Darby said he was the one who felt it was really important for the modern day to have a clear beginning, middle and end (with the John from IT plot), meaning most of the other devs probably didn't even want to put that much effort into it after AC3. He also wanted closure for the fans who were sad about Desmond being gone. Without Darby, the modern day in AC4 would likely have been much more empty.

If I could hit "like" on this post, I would.

Honestly, I think Darby is the one who's holding the series together as a whole and keeping it from being a series of standalone games.