PDA

View Full Version : Legendary ship El Impoluto- how to beat it?

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Can someone help me on how to beat that OP ship?
I have tried EVERY strategy out there, and nothing works for me, I managed to get it to low health with some strategies but it ALWAYS kills me before I manage to beat it.

I tried over 20 times on that ship.

dbzk1999
01-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Do u have it mostly upgraded and if not wat don't u have fully upgraded

teal98aurora
01-25-2014, 02:41 AM
As previously recommended, make sure the Jackdaw is upgraded as much as possible then...

What worked flawlessly for me on ALL the legendarys was the "chase and ram strategy." As soon as the cutscene ends and the ship starts heading for you, go to full sail and go straight toward it (kind of like playing a game of naval chicken). When it starts to veer off, ram it in the side at full sail which will stop it. Slow down and let it start to pull away, fall in behind it, speed back up then follow with a series of firing your chase cannons at its stern then ramming until she's "gone to planks." At least for me this worked every time. Hope it's helpful.

dbzk1999
01-25-2014, 02:44 AM
U could also try using gold mortars

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 02:49 AM
What are gold mortars? and my ship is fully upgraded.

teal98aurora- when go towards it and it goes towards me- am I supposed to also shot some chase shots at it so it slows down and hits me for less damage? or to let it hit me with full power?

dbzk1999
01-25-2014, 02:53 AM
What are gold mortars? and my ship is fully upgraded.

teal98aurora- when go towards it and it goes towards me- am I supposed to also shot some chase shots at it so it slows down and hits me for less damage? or to let it hit me with full power?

Gold mortars are the elite mortars

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 02:54 AM
Gold mortars are the elite mortars

Yeah well I'm using them in every chance I get, it doesn't do much.

IWGCJoeCool
01-25-2014, 02:59 AM
that was a tough one(for me), even harder than the 2-fer in the NE quadrant. like an early reply said, almost no point in being coy, ram the SOB, but do your best to fall in behind it, zigging and zagging, be patient, ram it, chainshot it, ram it some more. if you still wind up in it's broadside crosshairs, make sure to heavyshot her first, and use the moment to get back behind. the Jackdaw can take more Mortar then close-range Broadsides. but dont be afraid to kick in Travel Speed for short bursts, cuz the game will let you at times.

anyway, thats how i got it, and that was long before i got sleepwalking good at naval combat, getting comfortable with all the weapons, including Firebarrels...becoming a 4-point-on-the-compass certified 4X all the time bad boy at sea

lol

IWGCJoeCool
01-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Yeah well I'm using them in every chance I get, it doesn't do much.

????? the Gold-Elite Mortars are your first-strike preemptive most of the time, and they will sink schooner and gunboat, two shots on a brig, maybe 3 on a frigate, but unless you are also minding the rudder, you wont get a chance for more.

if you arent sure...the mortars can be fired in any direction

if you "aim" a broadside, you are shooting "regular" ball, accurate if aimed right, but if you are in close and pull the trigger, you are shooting "heavyshot". devasting damage, but no accuracy involved.

ziljn
01-25-2014, 03:51 AM
Ram it

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 04:02 AM
well the ramming strategy isn't working for me, it always goes behind me or to the sides after it rams me, and no matter how fast I trying to tilt my ship to its back, it keeps moving way faster and ALWAYS goes behind me or to my side and shoots the cannons

dbzk1999
01-25-2014, 04:14 AM
Jus spam the heck outta the chain shots believe it or not impolitic was the first one I beat

teal98aurora
01-25-2014, 04:21 AM
I didn't do mortars or broadsides. The trick for me was on the initial engagement (after cutscene), you ram it at full speed not vice versa. When I rammed it broadside it stopped dead in the water then when it started to pull away I dropped in behind it. I just kept firing my chase cannons and ramming it in the stern. I sometimes had to fire a couple rounds of chain shot to get it slowed down for me to get close enough to ram it again. The only variation on that was when I took on "The Twins." I found out the hard way when I sunk the first one, the second one went postal and I couldn't get behind it no matter what. So on my second attempt I took the first one to within one ram of sinking then went after the second one, sunk it, then took out the first before it could regroup.

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 04:30 AM
ok well seriously, ramming doesn't freaking works, it keeps going around me, and if I try to go behind him, then it's like cat and mouse circles, and it shoots its cannons at me in the middle of it.
ramming it is IMPOSSIBLE for me, I only managed to took it down to half life by ramming it again and again but then it did what it always freaking does- quickly moved behind me- and that's where it's over, once it goes to my side or behind me IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for me to go back to being behind him, that ****ing ship is just too fast and it tilts way too fast.

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 04:40 AM
I'm about to break my PS3.
I don't get it, even when I do get to ram its back again and again, eventually it will quickly tilt to the side, so it ends up my front is pointed to the side of its shop, which means its freaking cannons are right in front of my ship, once that happens, I just can't manage to get back to be behind him.

teal98aurora
01-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Sorry you're stuck and frustrated. It's been a long time since I took on these ships but that method worked for me - maybe I should revisit them and experiment.

Legionario-Cero
01-25-2014, 05:06 AM
so how to get back to be behind it if it escapes and gets to my side/behind me?

Aphex_Tim
01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Well, if you're truly desperate, you could always try this :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68hYhPiLEVw

Nitrotoluene
01-26-2014, 02:47 PM
How the heck did that player disengage from the wheel if he was in combat? I just can't beat this monster, can't even cheat! The advice about ramming is useless because Impoluto can out-run and out-turn the Jackdaw every time and chain shots make no impression on it...at least that's what my experience has been for the last 20 tries...

flu13
02-18-2014, 12:27 AM
I am so angry at this ship. I have 99% completion on this game and the ONLY thing I have not done is defeat this ship. I didn't take more than 4 or 5 tries for any of the others, but I have tried this one over 50 times.

I tried the above wheel releasing strategy and it doesn't work. That must be a modded PC version. You CAN release the wheel JUST as you get in range of the ship, but then you can never get aboard, even if you try to swim to the ship.

I loved this game so much that I was going to buy all of the DLC, but this one thing has frustrated me so hard core that I'm just going to trade the game in so I never have to face El Impoluto again.

ACLexter
02-19-2014, 08:06 AM
I had been in a frustrating situation like you before, but managed to sink it. just relax and try any possible strategy to defeat it. you said you tried at least 20 times and I'm sure you know her move already

if she tries to ram you, ram her aswell, but make sure to shot her a chain shot to slow her down.
Chain shot (to show her down) + mortal would damage bit by bit.

try as best as you can to position the jackdaw behind her and chain shot + ram.

if she is chasing you behind drop some fire barrel for some damage, and this is you chance to be behind her, since she is fast, dodge the ram and stop your ship for the moment, when she already pass you, full sail and start shooting her with chain and mortal shot, then ram.

drloua
02-19-2014, 01:09 PM
It's really tough when, as in my case, the Impoluto will rear up on it's stern vertically to turn on top of me like a humpback whale! Really now, I think a software fix is in order.

Nitrotoluene
02-22-2014, 05:39 AM
I had been in a frustrating situation like you before, but managed to sink it. just relax and try any possible strategy to defeat it. you said you tried at least 20 times and I'm sure you know her move already....

Thanks for your encouragement - and congratulations on beating the Impoluto - but I am happy to leave it alone. I think I have better things to do with my time than try to beat an artificially 'pimped out' enemy ship. Anyway, the whole concept of 'boss fights' in computer games, not just this one, seems rather old fashioned and cheap to me. Besides, I come from a long line of quitters. :p

ACLexter
02-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for your encouragement - and congratulations on beating the Impoluto - but I am happy to leave it alone. I think I have better things to do with my time than try to beat an artificially 'pimped out' enemy ship. Anyway, the whole concept of 'boss fights' in computer games, not just this one, seems rather old fashioned and cheap to me. Besides, I come from a long line of quitters. :p
I can't deny it, that el impoluto is really, reall damn hard to beat. I don't know, maybe I just got lucky to sink it.
but I actually miss to fight it. I hope we can reply fighting it. after you sink all 4 ships, no ship can give you any challenge now, even the man o war.

Nitrotoluene
02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
I can't deny it, that el impoluto is really, reall damn hard to beat. I don't know, maybe I just got lucky to sink it.
but I actually miss to fight it. I hope we can reply fighting it. after you sink all 4 ships, no ship can give you any challenge now, even the man o war.

Well, it may seem strange after what I said, but I have no trouble at all sinking or boarding any Man O' War, even the Level 60. I have sunk the 3 other Legendary ships too. It's only El Impoluto that I feel is the Lance Armstrong of ships, so I don't care if I don't get that one.

drloua
02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I finally did sink it after many many attempts. I found that going at it slowly, getting your two mortar shots on it, and at the last minute zigging or zagging a bit to avoid ramming and getting along side, stopping and unloading as many heavy shots as possible and turning to follow it as quickly as possible helps. Chain shot from behind to slow it a bit helps. Just make sure you "tag" it so you can see when it's turning and giving yourself as much lead time to line up your mortar shots before you take evasive action. Good Luck, you'll get there.

ACLexter
02-22-2014, 02:34 PM
nice job :)

mattyink
02-25-2014, 06:27 PM
If i'm not mistaken your chase canons need to be aimed at the enemy's sails right?
That ship is the only one i tried a couple of time not fully upgraded so i guess that's why i am having trouble with it.
It sometimes doesnt turn on the chicken game so i end up with damage. Also, like the OP, i have trouble staying behind but i know i need to practice more and use more chase canons.

ACLexter
02-26-2014, 06:34 AM
If i'm not mistaken your chase canons need to be aimed at the enemy's sails right?
That ship is the only one i tried a couple of time not fully upgraded so i guess that's why i am having trouble with it.
It sometimes doesnt turn on the chicken game so i end up with damage. Also, like the OP, i have trouble staying behind but i know i need to practice more and use more chase canons.

hmm don't know man, sometimes I just fire it to the hull or the ship itself, and the ship will slow down :confused::confused:

rcole_sooner
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
..not particular to this legendary ship battle, but....

I gave up aiming at the sails ... well at least intentionally.

I've seen the sails "fall" many times while hitting the hull, so it seems general overall damage will knock the sails out ... and the most damage seems to come from hull shots.

Kytr
02-26-2014, 06:16 PM
You don't need to aim chain at the sails -- the system assumes that chain hits sail. One thing I found is that round shot fired at the rail of el impoluto seems to be more effective that shot fired lower on the hull -- you have more opportunities for swivel shots.

This is far and away the worst of the legendary ships. I have seen it pivot on one corner to swing 180 degrees and land on be (firing as it did so, of course). It fires broadsides from beyond your mortar range and can out sail shots fired at it (either across the firing arc or just flat outrunning the shot). Not to mention the bit where it will fire 3 broadsides one after another with no time needed for reload (followed by ramming).

To win this one, you need to do everything right and get lucky.

Deathangel2890
06-08-2014, 02:43 PM
I was having the same problem. Beat it on my 4th attempt though. I have every elite upgrade apart from Mortar and Cannons (but I do have both round shot and heavy shot maxed).

What I ended up doing was, as soon as the cutscene ended, head straight for it (as previously said, playing a game of naval chicken) but as it got closer, fire your chase cannons. Slows it down and gives you the ramming advantage. Turn the same way it's turning and try to hit it with chase cannons as much as possible. Oh, and firing straight at the hull works perfectly. It does have stupid manoeuvrability, but I found that if I kept hitting it with chase and instead of getting it from behind, trying to ram it side on in between cannons, worked far better. If you watch it's turning circle and keep turning with it to face it's side, continue turning as you brace for impact and then head straight for him. Everytime after you hit him, pepper him with heavy shot and hold the swivel cannon until every target is gone. If he starts to pull away while still side on, hit him again with round shot and then begin to turn. Keep hitting his side with a mixture of chase and ram and then give him everything else you've got.

I also found that coming to a complete halt helped as well just after the ram/heavy shot seemed to give me the turn advantage I needed, so don't be afraid to completely hit the brakes, turn and go full sail.

It really is frustrating, but trail and error man. Although I agree with you about the chase and ram from behind. Load of crap. If you do it side on and brace for the cannon fire, you have a much wider target and you're still taking the ram out of the equation. Just remember to keep turning with it.

Hope this helps. :)

Kytr
06-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Actually, one thing that I did find with this battle -- if you hit the ship with multiple rounds of chain shot when it tries to ram, it will turn off. It is fairly easy to do if you are at a dead stop, which will also allow you to turn fast enough to match the ship (more or less). Every little bit helps.

Darkheath2
10-10-2014, 03:20 AM
It's amazing how this huge dang ship maneuvers like a WWII PT boat!

Apparently I need to upgrade the ram and come back to this guy.

M0nsterSkillz
10-16-2014, 01:09 AM
The legendary ships aren't that hard once you have a few tries. Stay as far back as possible, make sure you have fully upgraded the Jackdaw, have full ammo and a precision aim. Mortars work well multiple times, if it gets too close, RAM IT ! !

jovialbard
01-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Ramming is bad advice. Come to a stop. Chain shot until it stops. Stay there and chain shot for a while until it turns. Chain shot it in the rear for a while WITHOUT RAMMING, until you miss once, then get as much distance as you can, top speed, until it starts to turn. Anchor, turn, chain shot. If you can avoid it's ram with chain shot and avoid it's broadside by staying either nose to nose or your nose to it's tail, then you can maybe win. When you ram it you go out of alignment and your chain shot might miss. One miss and it will start cruising again, and you cannot keep up.

Basically:
Never be side to side unless you are going full speed in opposite directions.
Never be at any speed toward the ship unless you are aimed directly at it's rear, if it starts to turn, flee.
Wear it down with chain.

trellan
01-21-2015, 02:05 AM
Haven't beaten it yet, though I've come close. Best to stay away from those devastating canons at all cost, though. This means attacking from behind, or even dropping barrels as it chases you, though that ram is pretty mean it can't do as much damage from the rear if you're traveling. I do have one piece of advice no one else here has given though.

Before starting the event, open up your map and select it. Then head on in max speed, paying attention to your distance, and just before it gets down to 600 release the wheel. The Jackdaw will drift into the start, but El Impoluto won't ram- or attack at all, for that matter- without you at the helm.

It's possible then to jump off the nose of the Jackdaw and onto the deck of the other ship, but I only managed it once and was beaten by the crew. EL IMP is programmed to stay out of jumping distance after a successful boarding, it seems. So try this, and maybe you can disable her.

It you fail, though, that's it for the tactic, as it will never present the opportunity again, even if you restart your system.

Still, it's a way to avoid the initial sucker punch ramming the game insists on raping you with. And it's up to you when to take the helm again, so it might present a certain advantage if you can figure out how to use it.

jovialbard
01-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Okay, just beat him and I have some revisions to my above strategy. Mainly, do NOT chase Impoluto, if he starts to turn he'll get the drop on you, unload his broadsides and then ram you into the sea. Instead.

1. As he's coming toward you, full stop, chain shot repeatedly while remaining motionless.
2. If he uses his chase cannons, DO NOT TAKE COVER. Taking cover means you can't fire your chase cannons, which means he will ram you. Getting rammed is worse, particularly with how bad Impoluto's aim is with their chase cannons.
3. If he bumps you anyway, just keep firing chain shot and hope he hasn't knocked you too far out of alignment, his sails are wide enough that you'll probably be fine. If you pause even for a second to realign and aim with your chase cannons then he will pick up speed and ram you again in spiral of carnage that you'll barely be able to escape.
4. As soon as he starts to turn away from this nose-to-nose position, turn the other direction yourself and go full sail. When he's in position you can unload a round shot at his side or rear. Don't worry, he wont' use his broadside cannons on this initial retreat.
5. Move away from him full speed.
6. After retreating for a very short time he's going to start turning back toward you in a wide circle. Turn toward him along the same circle in the opposite direction so that you are headed nose to nose again. Do NOT go around the same way so that you are chasing each other.
7. He'll probably unload a broadside, but if you've followed this guide he'll be pretty far away, his aim will suck, and you'll have plenty of time to take cover and probably won't take too much damage from it.
8. After his broadside has ended immediately full stop and aim your nose at him. Repeat from step 1.

I had only lost about 1/3 to 1/2 of my health when I beat him with this strategy.

paulb09
06-17-2015, 02:29 PM
I know I'm dragging up an old thread here, and most of you will have beaten the El Impoluto by now, but there's one important thing I haven't really seen mentioned here, and that's to BRACE when it's about to RAM you. If you don't, even with the full armour upgrade you'll take around half a bar of damage. If you do, you'll take small chunk, more like an eighth.

I was pretty much using jovialbard's tactics from above, but I found I couldn't stop it indefinitely with chain-shot, so it would creep closer and closer. Even at such a slow speed, its ram would take half a health bar out of me. With bracing, it only took that small chunk, and it would usually then bounce alongside me where I could deal real damage with heavy-shot and weak-points, then repeat the whole process. Before that I would get it down to about a quarter health before dying, but with bracing being about my only change of tactics, I sunk it with almost a half of my health left.

It was definitely a fun fight in the end, but it seems you can't replay it for some strange reason. I'm sure Ubisoft could have disabled the loot for a replay if that was their concern, but instead they've gone back to an archaic design where you can't replay certain missions. At least they've made an improvement in the main missions, so that you can reload from a checkpoint rather than the whole memory if you need, but it looks like if I want to fight legendary ships, I'll have to start a new game and spend many hours looting the money and resources to upgrade my ship to at least the highest level without elite plans (I hate those diving bell missions, and you have to be half way through the game to play them anyway).

The_Ping
07-21-2015, 05:47 AM
Well, if you're truly desperate, you could always try this :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68hYhPiLEVw

For those that are saying this method is bogus and must only work on modded PC versions: it's not.

I just did this on Xbox One, latest update and the whole 9 yards. Now, it's doable, but it is extremely finicky. The reason it's so troublesome is because you're not supposed to be able to climb on the ship, least of all when it's in motion, so you can't approach it from in the water. You absolutely do need to jump straight onto the ship's deck from the front post (whatever the technical name is, I don't know) as in the video. Now it took me about an hour and a half of trying, so it's your call whether it's actually worth it or not, but I feel like I could have banged my head against the wall for ten years straight and not conquered this virtual Everest the "legit" way, so eh.

Here's how I finally got it to work:

1.) Approach the ship from the side when you first begin the encounter. I'm not sure if it'll just automatically spawn you facing the side or not, or if you have much control of which side you face it when you first approach, but in my game the Imp started facing directly north. So try and approach the danger zone from west or east, just to be safe. This is so that when you inevitably have to restart the mission over and over, you can approach the ship properly.

2.) When charging towards the ship, approach facing just to the rear. For some reason the many, many times I tried approaching facing the front of the ship the Imp wouldn't quite get close enough. It'd get close, but not within leaping distance, and then veer off too the side. If this happens, you just have to restart the mission and try again because the Imp will circle your ship endlessly, always out of range of you leaping onto it. And forget about trying to swim to it because A: it's too fast and B: even if you get near it you'll just bounce off the hull. You won't be able to climb it at all. When I approached from the rear, though, the ship came directly head on with the Jackdaw and I was finally able to jump onto it. May have just been something funny with the winds, but that's what worked for me.

3.) Charge the ship at full mast (but not travel mode) and immediately start spamming and holding B (Xbox) or circle (Playstation) to release the wheel at about 590 meters. The inertia built up at full mast will be enough to carry you into the encounter. If you somehow stop just short, I suppose you could swim into the 550 meter range where the encounter actually happens. However, this is actually the easiest part, and with a little practice (which you'll inevitably get) you'll be able to do it every time. From here, you just hop onto the front mast thing and wait/pray for the ship to come in range.

4.) When you finally manage to get within leaping range, you may have to actually jump with A (Xbox) or X (Playstation) to land on the deck. Again, the ship's climbable surfaces are all effed up so just holding right trigger will often get you nowhere. So, your...front beam thing or whatever it's called needs to be pretty much directly over the deck. If the waves are too low below the Jackdaw, that means you're out of luck and need to start again (remember how I said it was finicky?)

5.) As soon as you manage to finally get on the ship, be careful not to die. I mean it pretty much goes without saying, but if you fail here it means having to try and mount the Imp again, which hopefully you have come to realize is no easy task. There's two big guys (the ones you can't counter) and one captain with pistols. They're pretty easy. The problem is the musketeers on the crows nests. There's two, and even after the Imp has stopped the climbing surfaces are still weird. The ship obviously wasn't meant to be climbed, so that's probably why, but getting up to these guys can be a real challenge. There's no lifts, and when you're trying to climb up to one the other can and will shoot you down. When you finally manage to get both of them, go straight overboard into the water. Trying to dismount the damn masts is hell and a half, and you will be unbelievably frustrated if you manage to mount the ship, kill everybody, and then die trying to get down. I know I was.

So there you go. That's what finally did it for me but as you can see it's incredibly difficult and a fair amount of it is up to luck. If you need to cheat it and get that completion point, you can. I'm sure you can become unreasonably good at this with practice, so you could just abuse the hell out of it for that 20,000 booty a hundred times over, but then you could probably also become good at actually battling the thing with some trial and error. So is it worth it? Well make your own decisions. I'm not your mom.

nivlekgan15
07-12-2017, 04:06 AM
I can concur that the FULL STOP and continuous CHAIN SHOT works. I gave it a go after battling over 20 times and it worked. I defeated El Impoluto with almost full hull armour. the legendary ship did not manage to even fire their guns or ram. It was just stationary in the water. I practically chain shot it to death.