PDA

View Full Version : AC Dev Says Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor copied AC

xryanx28
01-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Ha this was a funny read for me.

Source: http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-17137-Middle-Earth--Shadow-of-Mordor-Copies-Assassin-s-Creed--Says-Former-Ubisoft-Dev.html
His twitter : https://twitter.com/charlesrandall

A former developer on the Assassin’s Creed games has suggested Monolith is using code and assets from Assassin’s Creed II on Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Charles Randall, who worked on Assassin’s Creed and Assassin’s Creed II, highlighted the similarities over Twitter last night following the release of Shadow of Mordor gameplay footage.

“Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin's Creed 2 code and assets are in this Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor game?” he asked.

Responding to a reply about the tweet, he added, “This is *my* code in that game! I better at least see myself in the special thanks. WTF?”

Randall was specifically referencing Shadow of Mordor’s combat and air assassinations, which he says are exactly the same as those he created for the Assassin’s Creed series. “I recognize my **** in that vid,” he said.

“I'm fine with it if people know what it is. But if they think they are going to sneak this under the radar... SO MUCH NOPE.”

He added, “I know I don't have any legal rights to what I did on Assassin's Creed 2 but I sure hope I get a special thanks on that Middle Earth game.”

Despite his obvious shock, Randall is not accusing Monolith of stealing the assets and code from Assassin’s Creed. He clarified later, “People seem to think I was implying theft -- not at all. I just assumed either a licensing deal or just AC used as heavy reference.”

Randall is currently working on the timed Xbox One exclusive Below, with Capybara Games.

FreeKnowledge
01-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Yup this threads gonna get closed by Mr.shade real quick or black widow9 lol!

Landruner
01-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Dude we got closed yesterday by Forum moderator (Mr_Shade) for posting the same stuff
Here is Link there if you wish continue conversation
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/771736-3rd-Party-Gaming-Discussion-News

Landruner
01-24-2014, 04:55 PM
yup this threads gonna get closed by mr.shade real quick or black widow9 lol!

lol!!!

xryanx28
01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
lol!!!

as the kids say these days, yolo

Landruner
01-24-2014, 05:00 PM
as the kids say these days, yolo

Eh I was not mocking you, I was laughing with my friend Freeknowledge and he knows why

No seriously follow the link I gave you if you want to talk with us, the mods are going to close your thread

LoyalACFan
01-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Funny though, everyone on IGN is saying the same thing XD It's so obviously ripped off.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Eh people, I don't want to play the sock sucker there, but I think we should stop posting there before the moderator come after us
that is a third Party game that is not related to any Ubisoft Product (Theoretically, LOL) and it is that forum is cool enough to have reserved a thread for this.

Here is Link there if you wish continue Zeeee conversation
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...iscussion-News

(http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/771736-3rd-Party-Gaming-Discussion-News)

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:21 PM
This thread better stay up since this is obviously AC-related.

adventurewomen
01-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Ubisoft will sue, it's a breach of copyright laws.

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Ubisoft will sue, it's a breach of copyright laws.

It's not against the law to make a game that "looks like" something else. Fans and the original coder can tell it's obviously a ripoff, but Ubisoft doesn't have a case unless they can prove it. And WB can probably afford better lawyers.

adventurewomen
01-24-2014, 07:39 PM
It's not against the law to make a game that "looks like" something else. Fans and the original coder can tell it's obviously a ripoff, but Ubisoft doesn't have a case unless they can prove it. And WB can probably afford better lawyers.
Then why is this developer claiming that this game used AC2 game assets and code?

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Then why is this developer claiming that this game used AC2 game assets and code?

Read my post. "Fans and the original coder can tell it's obviously a ripoff". Even if he knows it instinctively, he can't prove they used his code unless WB allows Ubi to go digging in their code. And that would instantly lead to a lawsuit, which I think Ubi would prefer to avoid.

AssassinHMS
01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't get what the fuss is all about. Itís not like they copied naval or anything like that! They just grabbed on ACís core mechanics, you know, the ones Ubisoft doesnít give a crap about.

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't get what the fuss is all about. It’s not like they copied naval or anything like that! They just grabbed on AC’s core mechanics, you know, the ones Ubisoft doesn’t give a crap about.

:rolleyes:

FreeKnowledge
01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
God the favortisim on these forums is disgusting, guess mods only close threads of ppl they like to bully or don't like at all!

LoyalACFan
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Read my post. "Fans and the original coder can tell it's obviously a ripoff". Even if he knows it instinctively, he can't prove they used his code unless WB allows Ubi to go digging in their code. And that would instantly lead to a lawsuit, which I think Ubi would prefer to avoid.

Plus he doesn't even work for Ubi anymore, he's got no dog in this fight. He's just some guy whose product got ripped off, and he's acknowledging it. He's not even really being confrontational about it.

xryanx28
01-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Plus he doesn't even work for Ubi anymore, he's got no dog in this fight. He's just some guy whose product got ripped off, and he's acknowledging it. He's not even really being confrontational about it.

yeah if you go to his twitter he says he really excited for the game, not bashing it in any way.

https://twitter.com/charlesrandall/status/426380845604016129

dxsxhxcx
01-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't get what the fuss is all about. It’s not like they copied naval or anything like that! They just grabbed on AC’s core mechanics, you know, the ones Ubisoft doesn’t give a crap about.

like I said in the other thread, at least now we might have a chance to see them being improved, even if it's not in an AC game.. :p

AssassinHMS
01-24-2014, 09:07 PM
like I said in the other thread, at least now we might have a chance to see them being improved, even if it's not in an AC game.. :p

Exactly!

Shahkulu101
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I spot cynical melodrama.

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
So basically, stealing is okay as long as you "improve" it?

Landruner
01-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Wait Wait Wait - Something is wrong there - Question to the Forum Moderator?

Why some threads like this one had been closed yesterday and we BTW got comments from the moderator for posting on it, and why some threads with the same topic are not closed by the moderator? - Why the rules apply to some and not to some others?

dxsxhxcx
01-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Wait Wait Wait - Something is wrong there - Question to the Forum Moderator?

Why some threads like this one had been closed yesterday and we BTW got comments from the moderator for posting on it, and why some threads with the same topic are not closed by the moderator? - Why the rules apply to some and not to some others?

I think the Mods didn't see this thread yet that's why they didn't close it, IMO they shouldn't close it, we aren't solely discussing about a third party game here (the justification used to close the other thread with the same topic), we are discussing the obvious similarities between this game and AC, so I don't think that rule about third party games should apply to this thread.

So basically, stealing is okay as long as you "improve" it?

unless they compare both codes to see if they are exactly the same this isn't stealing, most FPS core mechanics are basically the same and you don't see them accusing each other because of that.

ACfan443
01-24-2014, 09:53 PM
It looks outrageously similar to Assassin's Creed. As soon as that air assassination was performed, there was no doubt in my mind that it's ripping off the franchise, so much so that it could quite easily pass off as an AC sequel (if the fantasy elements were excluded, that is).

STDlyMcStudpants
01-24-2014, 10:03 PM
LMFAO I swear when I saw the gameplay footage I was going to cut out all of the fantasy stuff and piece it togther and post it as AC5 leaked footage lmfaooooooo
this game is clearly an AC knock off, but im totally gonna get it

Landruner
01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
This thread better stay up since this is obviously AC-related.

SixKeys, it is not Ubisoft related as long as Ubisoft executives are not claiming officially that Monolith and WB stole the code and used illegally those AC2's code and animation like Randall mentioned on his twitter. No one is attacking or claiming anything and Randall is a former Ubisoft's team member involved in The development of AC2. Furthermore, Randall mentioned that he is not doing an action, and if juridic action is made it will have to prove the ME-S of M used his assets from AC2.

As a request could we get someone from Ubisoft in order to clarify the situation there?

marcbryan
01-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Was anyone else unimpressed with the gameplay reveal? Seems like they were trying too hard to make a game with a protagonist that's unnecessarily powerful.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 11:31 PM
God the favortisim on these forums is disgusting, guess mods only close threads of ppl they like to bully or don't like at all!

II think you should re-open your yesterday thread and we should contact people from Monolith and WB to post there in order to make the thinks right with Ubisoft.

I am very disappointed and a bit perplex to see that the rules are reserved for only some users of this forum whereas some others can do whatever they want even re-opening closed threads (especially the ones against women - that is fair for the girls indeed).

We tried to respect the rules imposed by the moderator(s) of this forum and now we sound like naive idiots. (...?)

In short, here in this chaos we should start the real controversy rule of acting as pirates against that forum, no rule, no moral, and lets troll people and lets go wild and insane against the rules, since they seem to be made for some only!

Oh by the way - Vive la revolution ....:rolleyes:!!!!

LoyalACFan
01-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Was anyone else unimpressed with the gameplay reveal? Seems like they were trying too hard to make a game with a protagonist that's unnecessarily powerful.

That's kinda what I thought too, Talion looks like a one man army. Not that AC hasn't gone down the same excessively easy route, but this nemesis system they keep harping on about seems like it relies on enemies escaping from you, and judging by the supremely easy Ratbag chase (I mean come on, he just turns into a wraith and hops from enemy to enemy one-shotting them) that isn't going to be happening much unless you deliberately let it happen.

killzab
01-24-2014, 11:45 PM
II think you should re-open your yesterday thread and we should contact people from Monolith and WB to post there in order to make the thinks right with Ubisoft.

I am very disappointed and a bit perplex to see that the rules are reserved for only some users of this forum whereas some others can do whatever they want even re-opening closed threads (especially the ones against women - that is fair for the girls indeed).

We tried to respect the rules imposed by the moderator(s) of this forum and now we sound like naive idiots. (...?)

In short, here in this chaos we should start the real controversy rule of acting as pirates against that forum, no rule, no moral, and lets troll people and lets go wild and insane against the rules, since they seem to be made for some only!

Oh by the way - Vive la revolution ....:rolleyes:!!!!

Indeed, I was really annoyed by how Mr Shade arbitrarily closed so many threads lately. I hate censorship.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Indeed, I was really annoyed by how Mr Shade arbitrarily closed so many threads lately. I hate censorship.

I don't get his Moderator;s logic neither - Honestly, some people have to shut up and some other can do whatever they want - I usually get comment(s) after my post(s) whereas I post (good or bad) in such way that i wonder each time if it's because my English sucks (misunderstood) or if it for something else he comes after - I am really in "chock-work orange" by this "partie pris" from the ruler(s) of this forum

Closed thread opened by fellow FreeKnowledge and obviously closed for no reason

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/826282-Assassin-s-ring-lord-of-the-creed!

SixKeys
01-25-2014, 03:43 AM
SixKeys, it is not Ubisoft related as long as Ubisoft executives are not claiming officially that Monolith and WB stole the code and used illegally those AC2's code and animation like Randall mentioned on his twitter. No one is attacking or claiming anything and Randall is a former Ubisoft's team member involved in The development of AC2. Furthermore, Randall mentioned that he is not doing an action, and if juridic action is made it will have to prove the ME-S of M used his assets from AC2.

As a request could we get someone from Ubisoft in order to clarify the situation there?

It is relevant because it is about an (ex-)Ubisoft employee who talks about AC2 on his Twitter. If the mods want to take this thread down because it mentions a third-party game, it would be wrong since the thread clearly started as a discussion about something AC-related.

Black_Widow9
01-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Hmmm well maybe we would have kept this one open if it didn't turn into a "Let's Troll the Staff" thread with around 75% of the posts dedicated to that.

I suggest if you have an issue with a decision made on the Forums that you contact a Forum Manager directly through PM.

In the meantime, please use the Thread you were directed to previously until you can actually discuss the Topic of the Thread.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/771736-3rd-Party-Gaming-Discussion-News?highlight=party