PDA

View Full Version : Strum pattern for HoHey by the Lumineers

jwrobbs
01-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the Rocksmith strum pattern for Ho Hey?

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Disclaimers:
I've searched this forum. Couldn't find it. Forum won't search for "Ho Hey" because the words are too short.
I've searched the 'net. Couldn't find one that matched.
I've tried listening and I've come up with some nice patterns that sound great but they don't match the game.

VarriusTX
01-24-2014, 07:38 AM
I've had a bit of trouble with this particular one myself, but I haven't put a lot of time into it. Watching this thread to see what input everyone has on it.

toymachinesh
01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcR5sgK2HB0

not sure how accurate Elison is but this will give you an idea

toymachinesh
01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9kqIy_28DA

VarriusTX
01-25-2014, 08:17 AM
The first video looks like he's pleasing the game, but I don't know that it's quite right. Isn't it common practice to not pause when playing rhythm guitar?

Second one seems just wrong, you can hear the upstrums in the song. She may just be hitting the accent strums, but there is more to it than that.

VarriusTX
01-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Ok, so this gave me enough spark to look them up on youtube. When he plays it live, he has very little pauses, just ever so slightly after the heavy accent strum during the "Ho" and "Hey", but other than that it's pretty consistent strumming. There is a little bit of a non-perfect rhythmic feel to it, but definitely no long pausing. Further into the song there are parts that do seem to be in perfect time, but the intro has a bit of a different feel. Nevertheless he doesn't really stop strumming as much as the RS player is.

The second lady is just wrong. (edit again) Watched the whole video.. sort of, and towards the end she gets it more right when she adds upstrokes. I don't think either vid shows it perfectly how he does it but both are fairly close. Just youtube the song live, they have plenty of performances that shows him strumming it up close.

Edit: Comparing the RS player to watching him live, he is actually pretty darn close, so I stand corrected. It's a real weird rhythm for sure.

jwrobbs
02-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the video! Help a ton!

SkRyPTuS
02-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I have recently tried the Rythm path in Rocksmith 2014, and I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I started with this song, and I got the impression either the chord detection wasn't very accurate or the rythm was more awkward than it seemed.

I've been playing guitar for a while now, and I started in a church group, where chord-playing was most of what I'd do. So I got to learn that rythm playing is a bit less restrictive, and doesn't translate well into this type of game. Therefore, after trying to mimic the song for a while (and failing way more than in the Lead path), my aproach was the same as trying to learn a new song - get the feel of the song, try to mimic some relevant aspects (like accents, percussive techniques and stuff like that), and then let it flow. It doesn't fit into the game-aspect of Rocksmith, or into the Learn a Song goal of learning a song exactly as it's on the record, but it fits better into Rocksmith's objective of learning how to play songs. So that's my advice.

As for more inexperienced players, I'd suggest trying to match the rythm in the game (the little transparent bars that appear after a chord), but with personal adjustments to make the strums fit where YOU think they should. Another idea is to slow down the song a bit (to 50/70%, or as slow as you need it) and try to catch the strumming pattern. As you get more used to it, your movements will get more fluid and allow you to adapt more easily.