PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite sea shanties?

LoyalACFan
01-22-2014, 07:46 PM
These were actually one of my favorite features in AC4. There's far too many options to make a proper poll, but which one(s) were the best in your opinion?

I'm particularly fond of Runnin' Down to Cuba, Leave Her Johnny, Fish in the Sea, The Dead Horse, Lowlands Away, The Wild Goose, Drunken Sailor, and Whiskey Johnny.

Shahkulu101
01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Leave Her Johnny, Rio Grande, Randy Dandy-O, Padstow's farewell, Stormalong John, many others.

Aphex_Tim
01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Loved the shanties! And I even found myself singing along to some as I went!
I don't really have a favorite though, I pretty much like them all. There is however a shanty that I've started to dislike, simply because the crew would be singing that one EVERY SINGLE TIME I set sail for some reason. That would be Lowlands Away.

Shahkulu101
01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Loved the shanties! And I even found myself singing along to some as I went!
I don't really have a favorite though, I pretty much like them all. There is however a shanty that I've started to dislike, simply because the crew would be singing that one EVERY SINGLE TIME I set sail for some reason. That would be Lowlands Away.

Blasphemy! The vocals give me goosebumps. Do it Johnny Boker can drink damnation, hurts me damn listeners. As does Handy Me Boys.

Aphex_Tim
01-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Blasphemy! The vocals give me goosebumps.

They did the first couple of times. The 960186th time though... not so much,

lothario-da-be
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Leave her Johny and drunken sailor for me.

x___Luffy___x
01-22-2014, 08:34 PM
dont remember all but there were at least 5-6 that are my fav - whiskey Johny, randy dandy and i really liked my name was captain kidd one too, it was catchy. :)

LoyalACFan
01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Blasphemy! The vocals give me goosebumps. Do it Johnny Boker can drink damnation, hurts me damn listeners. As does Handy Me Boys.

Yeah, Johnny Boker is one of the very few I don't like. Along with Paddy Doyle's Boots, but I think I just got sick of that one because it plays EVERY TIME you get in your harpooning boat :p

Pandassin
01-22-2014, 10:35 PM
My top 3 shanties are:

Drunken Sailor
Spanish Ladies
Fish in the Sea

Love them so much ^^

ColdBloodedVet
01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
My 2 year old sings Lowlands away and running down to Cuba.

FatRascal
01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Good thread. I also loved the shanties, they really added to the atmosphere.

Where did you find Lowlands Away and the Captain Kidd one? I've got a CD of Eliza Carthy singing the Ballad of Captain Kidd (which I think is the same thing), and it would be great to have it in the game.

My favourites of the ones I have collected so far are Leave Her Johnny, Way Me Susiana, The Worst Old Ship (Waitin' for the day) and Running Down to Cuba.

Also, if you find you've discovered a liking for authentic shanties through AC4, check out a band called "Kimber's Men."

LoyalACFan
01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Where did you find Lowlands Away and the Captain Kidd one? I've got a CD of Eliza Carthy singing the Ballad of Captain Kidd (which I think is the same thing), and it would be great to have it in the game.

The Captain Kidd song is in Grand Cayman, but Lowlands Away should be available from the start. Your crew already knows a few songs when you first get your ship.

FatRascal
01-22-2014, 11:51 PM
The Captain Kidd song is in Grand Cayman, but Lowlands Away should be available from the start. Your crew already knows a few songs when you first get your ship.

Cheers. I don't remember hearing "Lowlands Away" but lots of folk on here seem to rate it, so I'll be listening out for it tonight, and will try to visit Grand Cayman. :-)

dxsxhxcx
01-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Randy Dandy-Oh (I wonder if they used the The Dreadnoughts version of this shanty) and Drunken Sailor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58EXVLmIos

STDlyMcStudpants
01-23-2014, 12:04 AM
loved all of them, but top 5 for me
5. Drunken Sailor
4. Leave Her Johnny
3. Padstow Farewell
2. Spanish Ladies
1. Fish in The Sea

ACfan443
01-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Randy Dandy Oh and Drunken Sailor are the two I'm most able to tolerate, I'm not much of a fan of the shanties (blasphemy, I know). I hate it when they interrupt an ambient track I'm enjoying (same goes with the irritating taverns).

bitebug2003
01-23-2014, 01:27 AM
Way Me Susiana
Bully in the Alley
Padstow's Farewell
Lowlands Away
Roll and Go

I think these are my favourites :)

LoyalACFan
Randy Dandy Oh and Drunken Sailor are the two I'm most able to tolerate, I'm not much of a fan of the shanties (blasphemy, I know). I hate it when they interrupt an ambient track I'm enjoying (same goes with the irritating taverns).

You can turn them off in the options menu if you want.

LoyalACFan
Way Me Susiana
Bully in the Alley
Padstow's Farewell
Lowlands Away
Roll and Go

I think these are my favourites :)

Forgot about Bully in the Alley, I really like that one too :)

Freedom3031
01-23-2014, 02:19 AM
oh billy reily and the one that says "that's a lie , that's a lie......."

marcbryan
01-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Randy Dandy Oh, Leave Her Johnny, Roll Boys Roll, Bully in the Alley, Whiskey Johnny.

LoyalACFan
01-23-2014, 05:33 AM
oh billy reily and the one that says "that's a lie , that's a lie......."

The second one you're talking about is Derby Ram.

SixKeys
01-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Loooooowlaaaandsss, lowlaaands awaaaaaay....

My other favorites are Drunken Sailor, Randy Dandy and Captain Kidd.

HiddenKiller612
01-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Randy Dandy O
Runnin down to Cuba
Whiskey Johnny
Billy Reilly
Drunken Sailer
The Amsterdam maid

to be honest though, I loved damn near every one of the shanties... They were just great for sailing around.

Aphex_Tim
01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
I'd kinda hoped Haul on the Bowline would've shown up in the game by the way.

Also, do the credits ever mention who actually sung the shanties? Sometimes the lead voice sounds an awful lot like Kevin McNally again. Could just be my imagination though.